Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
8 April 2013
10.41pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3941sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thatcher divided opinion very strongly. Scotland is one place where a lot of people hated her, and the Tories, for what they did in the 80’s; Glasgow City Council are urging people not to gather in George Square to party. The Conservatives in Scotland are still detested with a fierce hatred and passion by many, i believe they have one seat in Dumfries and Galloway, and that was was a gain of 1 in the last Election. One of the threats to keeping Scotland in the UK is if the Conservatives completely balls up how they act towards Scotland in the next 18 months to the big vote.

I never celebrate when anyone dies, no matter who – I know that a few folk might not get that when thinking of a few historical figures.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 April 2013
3.43pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 228
3942sp_Permalink sp_Print

I had no idea she was ill. I didn’t even know she was still alive

To be honest, she’d been dying for ages and she was never in the news so that’s entirely understandable.

I wasn’t around for Thatcherism but I disagree with most of her policies, although that’s with the benefit of hindsight.

I think it so random that she died in the Ritz. I know she was staying there since she got out of hospital, but it still seems a bizaare place to die.

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

9 April 2013
5.21pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694
3943sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since her government shut down the mining industry in the 80s there are communities here in south Wales that never recovered. She sold off public utilities to private companies, sold off council homes at discounted rates which caused a continuing shortage of social housing, widened the gap between rich and poor, doubled unemployment and increased child poverty. She didn’t believe in society, just the advancement of personal wealth and to hell with the less fortunate. It’s a shame that successive governments didn’t reverse her changes, and this current lot seem hell bent on dismantling the state even further.

Thatcher’s ministers even considered abandoning Liverpool after the Toxteth riots and leaving it to “managed decline“. Shocking. I hate the Conservative Party and everything they stand for.

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

9 April 2013
6.10pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
3944sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think that although she did some good for the country, she worsened some situations and even created new ones imo so I wouldn’t call myself Thatcher’s biggest fan but I wouldn’t have a kind of ”party” that I saw on the news this morning. It’s sick. Whatever your political views, to celebrate somebody’s death in that way is just plain wrong.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

9 April 2013
8.04pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3945sp_Permalink sp_Print

Doesnt matter what happens in my life, i will never vote for the Conservatives. And yes that is a political statement.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 April 2013
8.19pm
Joe
Pepperland
Admin
Forum Posts: 5694
3946sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nye Bevan, 4 July 1948: “No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin.”

Can buy me love! Please consider supporting the Beatles Bible on Amazon
Or buy my paperback/ebook! Riding So High – The Beatles and Drugs

Don't miss The Bowie Bible – now live!

9 April 2013
10.27pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3947sp_Permalink sp_Print

Did a Beatle search on BBC iplayer (a good way to see whats coming up or just gone by) and saw that Paul Gambaccini was doing Beatles in his latest show (he usually does but i never listen to it) so had a look to see what. Turns out he was playing I Want You (She’s So Heavy). Hearing that on the radio is a novelty and begs the question was it all played so had a scan thru and the answer was, unsurprisingly, no. Irritates me when radio stations dont play songs the whole way thru – if you cant fit in the whole song play something else. Films and tv shows arent cut off before the final part is played. You dont go to the threatre and find the last scene ends before its meant to or the leading star stars talking over it with random nonsense. Shut up and let it end. 

9 April 2013
10.47pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
3948sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hate when that happens too! They often stop the songs because otherwise they can’t make it in time with the news, but before the news there’s a shitload of commercials first. In that time they could’ve played the whole goddamn song and still have a few commercials. 

It sucks they did that with I want you (she’s so heavy), as the last part is the best part of the song.

I wish I had happy or fun news to share, but I don’t. Boring life.

10 April 2013
3.18am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
3949sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said 

I wish I had happy or fun news to share, but I don’t. Boring life.

Happy or fun… hmm… yeah, not much in that department for me, either. I mean, I crashed my bike into a tree and then accidentally started going up a hill, only to begin going backwards down the hill quickly and uncontrollably… but that’s not really happy or fun, is it?  paul-mccartney blue-meanie a-hard-days-night-george-10

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

10 April 2013
5.38am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
3950sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Aww!  Hope you’re okay!  a-hard-days-night-george-10

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

11 April 2013
1.15am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
3951sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, I’m fine. It was kinda fun, actually. a-hard-days-night-george-10

~witty quote~

11 April 2013
11.41pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
3952sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds like something that could happen in animation series haha

We’re having resits for tests this week, and today I was going to resit Geography and I had studied sooo hard and so I was cycling to the trainstation and all of a sudden I started having the worst cramps ever (no not the monthly problem) and then I started sweating and feeling like I had to vomit and all and then it hit me that I HAD to turn around and go home. So I came home half crying because of the pain and haven’t left the couch since (except for now, I’m in bed now) but it was so ridiculous because I haven’t eaten anything weird, I have eaten the exact same things as my mom today and she didn’t have any pains. 

Anyway, as you can imagine I was quite dissapointed and frustrated that I couldn’t resit my test, as I had studied like a madman for it. :(

Fun thing is I’m going to a theme park with a friend on Sunday and the entrance is free since she works there and can take a few friends for free. I like that. I wish I had more friends like that ghehe.

12 April 2013
2.09am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3953sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sounds a bit like an anxiety attack. I get them myself at times and they can be a total bee-atch. Creeping up all unexpected and not making any real sense. It was one of the reasons I started using a form of meditation a couple of years ago.

Hope you feel better soon and enjoy yourself on Sunday.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

12 April 2013
3.28am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
3954sp_Permalink sp_Print

Egroeg Evoli said 
Happy or fun… hmm… yeah, not much in that department for me, either. I mean, I crashed my bike into a tree and then accidentally started going up a hill, only to begin going backwards down the hill quickly and uncontrollably… but that’s not really happy or fun, is it?  paul-mccartney blue-meanie a-hard-days-night-george-10

Did you fall off when you hit the tree? I used to crash into things on my bike all the time when I was little because I wasn’t very good at turning for a while. Hope you didn’t hurt yourself too much, Egroeg! a-hard-days-night-george-10

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

12 April 2013
1.41pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
3955sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
Sounds a bit like an anxiety attack. I get them myself at times and they can be a total bee-atch. Creeping up all unexpected and not making any real sense. It was one of the reasons I started using a form of meditation a couple of years ago.

Hope you feel better soon and enjoy yourself on Sunday.

I don’t think it is, I’m still in pain right now so if it was anxiety it would be gone by now, wouldn’t it? Hmm meditation? That has always sounded very interesting to me, I think I’ll read into it a bit more..

YAY. Sunday it’ll be 21 degrees celsius or so. Finally Spring is arriving..

13 April 2013
7.24am
Gerard
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 683
3956sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dry Season here, temperatures reaching 38 degrees Celsius  I don’t know why people here complain when temperatures rise, it’s only by 3 degrees Celsius  we normally get 30-35 degrees Celsius when it’s the other season. We only have two seasons here, dry and wet lol. Honestly I want to move to a place with a temperature of 10-20 degrees Celsius.

13 April 2013
6.31pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
3957sp_Permalink sp_Print

unknown said

Egroeg Evoli said 

Did you fall off when you hit the tree? I used to crash into things on my bike all the time when I was little because I wasn’t very good at turning for a while. Hope you didn’t hurt yourself too much, Egroeg! a-hard-days-night-george-10

No, luckily, I didn’t fall off. Crashing into the tree was what made me go up the hill. I was in some sort of crazed panicky state and I was trying to get away from the tree, and I started going up the hill, but I wasn’t pedaling enough to get up the hill, so I went down instead. Quite embarrassing, actually.

paul-mccartney  :D

~witty quote~

14 April 2013
9.03pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3958sp_Permalink sp_Print

Watching the final round of the Masters; why is it more fun watching professional golfers make a right mess of their shots sending balls into trees, bunkers, water, the wrong hole, than playing good shots?

15 April 2013
1.26pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Wow. This is incredible. It’s mainly Freddie Mercury’s vocals on their own from Somebody To Love isolated. What a vocalist. And no damn forced shreiking or howling to the moon as so many do nowadays on those damn talent shows. There are quite a few Queen tracks acapella and other isolations on this channel.

18 April 2013
8.44am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3960sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just wanted to say my thoughts are with America on such a horrific week for the country. Boston. Ricin. And now West, Texas. A few miles from Waco, 20 years on. Let’s hope it’s a horrific accident in a dark three days. My thoughts are with our American friends in this dreadful, dreadful week. For me today is Thursday. Let’s hope Thursday doesn’t find anything to add to this week of horror you’re living through.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timothy
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694