Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
13 March 2013
6.48pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3861sp_Permalink sp_Print

P.S.:  Or the concert could be billed as:

Three Grumpy Old Men

blue-meanie

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

13 March 2013
6.52pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3862sp_Permalink sp_Print

I say it! To quote myself “Has Paul ever used James outside of one TV special?” Paul had a 70s TV special called “James Paul McCartney “. So your PS ignored what I had already said!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 March 2013
7.33pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3863sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
I say it! To quote myself “Has Paul ever used James outside of one TV special?” Paul had a 70s TV special called “James Paul McCartney “. So your PS ignored what I had already said!

Quite right.  Though the larger context reveals a pointless rhetorical question on your part.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

13 March 2013
7.41pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3864sp_Permalink sp_Print

No, it points out YOU missing the rhetorical question, and then going on to wonder whether there wasn’t an occasion where Paul had used the James! I say it all in the original sentence. You’re the one who says you think he used it for something! I’ve already said exactly what he used it for!

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 March 2013
9.29pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444
3865sp_Permalink sp_Print

How about one super-duper concert with Chad & Jeremy and Peter & Gordon and Simon & Garfunkel and Hall & Oates and Loggins & Messina and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich?

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

14 March 2013
2.05am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3866sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
No, it points out YOU missing the rhetorical question, and then going on to wonder whether there wasn’t an occasion where Paul had used the James! I say it all in the original sentence. You’re the one who says you think he used it for something! I’ve already said exactly what he used it for!

As I said already, you’re right about that detail — but that detail is tangential to my larger point.  And what’s the point of you pointing that out?  So Paul only once used “James Paul” in any official entertainment capacity — and…?  Because he only did so once, he can never do so again?

14 March 2013
5.20am
LongHairedLady
coming in through the bathroom window
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2098
3867sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sometimes I use this thread for my random thoughts that don’t fit anywhere else.

Today at work my boss was explaining an unfortunate work situation to the assistant, and I said to him “You Mad Bro?”…  he said “no” and explained to me why, like it was a legitimate question.  a-hard-days-night-john-7 Whatever gets me through the day..  a-hard-days-night-paul-10

"Please don't bring your banjo back, I know where it's been..  I wasn't hardly gone a day, when it became the scene..  Banjos!  Banjos!  All the time, I can't forget that tune..  and if I ever see another banjo, I'm going out and buy a big balloon!"

14 March 2013
11.41am
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
3868sp_Permalink sp_Print

So there’s a new pope.

So we’ve had a John Paul and now we have a Jorge. We all know who’s nextahdn_ringo_09

14 March 2013
11.52am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3869sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gringo!

14 March 2013
2.31pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
3870sp_Permalink sp_Print

All together now, “The pope smokes dope/God gave him the grass/The pope smokes dope, he likes to smoke in mass”

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

14 March 2013
3.29pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

Just to correct fabfouremily on something. If visiting museums is on your list, you won’t find them any cheaper in June than in any other month of the year. The vast majority of London national museums and art galleries have free entry, just have collection boxes if you want to make a contribution. I’d recommend the Victoria & Albert Museum. But you go to Exhibition Road and you have museum next door to museum. You’ll find the V&A there, the Science Museum, and the Natural History Museum. I’ve spent days on end lost there. The V&A has a small Beatles display, or has always had when I’ve been there, the last time being about nine months ago. If museums are something that interest, the best are free.

Sorry about that, I was under the impression that the prices are a little cheaper term-time.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

14 March 2013
6.18pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3872sp_Permalink sp_Print

Linde said
So there’s a new pope.

So we’ve had a John Paul and now we have a Jorge. We all know who’s nextahdn_ringo_09

Actually, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio (his father was an Italian immigrant to Venezuela) took the name Francis I — obviously in honor of Francis Albert Sinatra. brian-epstein

14 March 2013
10.06pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
3873sp_Permalink sp_Print

“Kiss my ring-a-ding-ding!”

offtopic-1.png

15 March 2013
10.47am
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
3874sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said
Glad the credit card option seems it’s going to work out.

Couple of points to make.

Joe wasn’t recommending Paul’s old house. Cavendish Avenue, a five-ten minute walk from Abbey Road , is the only London home Paul has ever owned. He still owns it. The last time it featured in the news was when he and Nancy left it as he and Linda had years earlier to get married at the same Registry Office. If Paul is in London for the night, that’s where he is.

Public transport in London. It can be very expensive. At your earliest opportunity, what you need to do is either get a seven-day travelcard (the shortest time period available) or an Oyster Card. I don’t know the exact difference nowadays because I have been on free travel due to illness the past couple of years, The last time I had to pay for travel, non-Oyster travel added about a pound to each journey. A travelcard is probably your best option, but paying for transport as you get on it is your worst, and most expensive. Travelcards and Oyster cover all main London public transport. Tubes (metro), buses, and trains. All are between 50%-100% more expensive without.

Hope you have a great stay.

Aaaah! So I could just accidentally bump into Paul.

Okay, I’m now googling what they both are exactly, but there are so many websites with different stuff so I’ll just ask here. Which is better, Travelcard or Oystercard? Also, where do you get one?

Thank for all the tips guys, you’re really helping me out here.

15 March 2013
8.53pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 I was wrong on one thing about transport, there are daily travelcards available. However, if you have an Oyster Card, it will stop charging you when you reach the cost of a daily travelcard. I would suggest that a Pay As You Go Oyster Card is probably your best bet. The problem with travelcards is that London is divided into several zones for travel, and travelcards are sold on the basis of those zones. Find yourself wandering out of those zones and you’re having to pay. You do not get that problem with an Oyster Card. Travelcards are available at most overground and underground train stations. Oyster Cards are available all over the place. Some stations have Oyster Card dispensing machines, many many shops do them as well, and allow you to top them up. You will usually see some variation of this

Oystercard.jpgImage Enlarger

in the windows, and they will often have something like “Travel Stop” in the window as well. It is pointless to say the type of shop to look for, because all sorts of shops provide the service. The thing to look for is the Oyster Card colouring. But it should be obvious quite quickly.

You may find these sites useful, the first for more than just travel.

http://www.visitlondon.com/tra…..don/oyster

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Hope this helps.

20 March 2013
1.34pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
3876sp_Permalink sp_Print

Watching the UK Budget be announced is like watching unruly 5 year old boys taunting yucky horrible girls who are retorting by name calling and a teacher who keeps trying to get them to shut up but cant do it. Pathetic to see from grown-ups.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

20 March 2013
9.00pm
bikelock28
Standing There
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 228
3877sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think bikelock is from London, if I remember correctly, though I don’t know if she’ll know anything about it either tho. Maybe PM her? Good luck

Yup, a true Cockney!

For places to stay, there’s a Youth Hostel near St Paul’s, that’s probably pretty cheap.

Wimpole Street, where Paul lived with Jane Asher, is near Oxford Street. You should definitely do the museums- British Museum in Holborn and Museum of London in The City are the best IMO. I think the V & A is a bit posh, but that’s probably just me. Science Museum is good, especially if you’re going with kids (I’m assuming you’re not, though). British Library near King’s Cross is also very cool. The National Gallery is a good place to hang round if you’re at a loose end (in other words- its free).

Joe’s right about the East End, it’s the place to be. You can get tours around the Olympic Park, too.

The City is very pretty because it has old 17th-centruy architecture. The South bank is also really nice, it’s opposite Big Ben and the London Eye is there, there’s a lot of mime artists and street entertainers.

Nightlife-wise, Shoreditch and Soho are the best. Soho is a predominantly gay area with lots of cool music shops, but Joe’s right when he says its a bit seedy. Shoreditch is often full of students and hipsters but its OK. Concert venues are the O2 in Greenwich and the Hammersmith Odeon. They’re both pretty expensive- the O2 is bigger and any did there will be pretty phenonmenal. West End theatres are great- lastminute.com is the place to go for cheap tickets.

Other advice:

Watch out for pigeons- they have no shame or fear. Bring a map. Stand on the right-hand side of the escalator. If in doubt, stick to the Central Line (that’s the red one). Don’t bring a massive rucksack on the Tube.  Try to avoid eye contact with anyone. Under no circumstances should you start a conversation with anybody, especially on public transport.

a-hard-days-night-george-10

"I don't think we were actually swimming, as it were, with shirts on, 'cos we always wear overcoats when we're swimming,"-

George Harrison, Australia, June 1964

20 March 2013
9.39pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3878sp_Permalink sp_Print

bikelock28 said

Stand on the right-hand side of the escalator. If in doubt, stick to the Central Line (that’s the red one). Don’t bring a massive rucksack on the Tube.  Try to avoid eye contact with anyone. Under no circumstances should you start a conversation with anybody, especially on public transport.

a-hard-days-night-george-10

Or as, when an underground train, in the tube, stops too long between stations
And the conversation rises and slowly fades into silence
And you see behind every face the mental emptiness deepen
Leaving only the growing terror of nothing to think about…

“East Coker” III, from Four Quartets, by T.S. Eliot

21 March 2013
11.49am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
3879sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Watching the UK Budget be announced is like watching unruly 5 year old boys taunting yucky horrible girls who are retorting by name calling and a teacher who keeps trying to get them to shut up but cant do it. Pathetic to see from grown-ups.

Hahaha, that sums it up pretty nicely.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

22 March 2013
9.20pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Liking the amazon.co.uk 1963 homage to Please Please Me ‘s 50th anniversary. Very cool.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: kelicopter
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691