Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
6 March 2013
9.07pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3801sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said
Thanks to all the responders to my question about “einmal so”.  I think however that some phrases are colloquial and are not literally translatable.  My suspicion is that “einmal so” means something like “that’s the way it is”.  It comes as the climax to the emphatic line which I tentatively translate as —

“In your arms I feel happy and gay,

With another that would never ever be this way (the way that it is).”

— but I could be horribly wrong.

”In your arms I feel happy and gay

With anyone else it hasn’t been that way (yet)” (the yet is supposed to be there but I put it between brackets, because otherwise it wouldn’t rhymeahdn_ringo_09 )

Properly translated it’s probably: ”It hasn’t been that way/like that with anyone else yet”

6 March 2013
9.14pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
3802sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks Linde, that makes more sense.  I think you could even make the “yet” a “once” — as in “not once” = “never”.  Also you could put the “yet” or “once” earlier in the sentence and still keep the “way” at the end.

”In your arms I feel happy and gay

With anyone else it hasn’t yet been that way”

Or even:

With anyone else it hasn’t ever been that way”

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

6 March 2013
9.18pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3803sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said

mja6758 said

Yay! I’m back to only having one Egroeg Evoli currently online! Five would be too hard to handle!

They’re all imposters! Look at the spelling of the name:

Strange. According to the Currently Online bit at the bottom of the page, it seems members currently online are:
Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, mja6758, LongHairedLady!

Oops! Seems I goofed with my spelling there. I always have to think hard with Egroeg’s name.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 March 2013
9.30pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445
3804sp_Permalink sp_Print

Haha, I just assumed it was a result of the same bug that generated five of them in the first place!

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

6 March 2013
10.55pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
3805sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

vonbontee said

mja6758 said

Yay! I’m back to only having one Egroeg Evoli currently online! Five would be too hard to handle!

Strange. According to the Currently Online bit at the bottom of the page, it seems members currently online are:
Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, mja6758, LongHairedLady!

Oops! Seems I goofed with my spelling there. I always have to think hard with Egroeg’s name.

Would it be easier if I changed it to asdojwefnodj2324265uhfjsnsjfnjnfjnaf?

The following people thank Egroeg Evoli for this post:

Starr Shine?

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

6 March 2013
11.03pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3806sp_Permalink sp_Print

Egroeg Evoli said

mja6758 said

vonbontee said

mja6758 said

Definitely not! I like your name. The spelling doesn’t come easy in my head though, and I have to think about it when I’m using it, because I’m thinking it’s George backwards and working it out as I go along. Really ought to add it to spellchecker and then I’d know when I got it wrong.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 March 2013
11.06pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
3807sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

Egroeg Evoli said

mja6758 said

vonbontee said

mja6758 said

Definitely not! I like your name. The spelling doesn’t come easy in my head though, and I have to think about it when I’m using it, because I’m thinking it’s George backwards and working it out as I go along. Really ought to add it to spellchecker and then I’d know when I got it wrong.

Thanks! :)

This conversation has made me curious about something: How do you pronounce my name?

~witty quote~

6 March 2013
11.09pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Eg-roeg E-voli, or Evo-li. Not that I have ever needed to pronounce it.

7 March 2013
6.30am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members

This statement is false.

a-hard-days-night-george-10

EDIT: In case anyone is confused, I mean the statement in this post, not the post above.

~witty quote~

7 March 2013
6.41am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3810sp_Permalink sp_Print

Egroeg Evoli said
This statement is false.

a-hard-days-night-george-10

EDIT: In case anyone is confused, I mean the statement in this post, not the post above.

But which statement is false, your first, or your edit?

7 March 2013
11.59am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3811sp_Permalink sp_Print

Highly respected British jazz musician Kenny Ball has passed away at the age of 82. Though his main success was in the UK, where he charted 14 Top 50 hits (the most by any jazz artist), he was a highly regarded Dixieland trumpeter the world over. He and his Jazzmen were also one of the few British acts to enjoy American chart success pre-Beatles, reaching No. 2 in the Billboard chart in March 1962 with Midnight in Moscow. The following year he became the first British jazz musician to be made an honorary citizen of New Orleans. He worked until the end, his last performance being in Manchester just fifteen days ago, fittingly with two of the other giants of British jazz, Acker Bilk and Chris Barber. He will be sadly missed.

7 March 2013
2.24pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
3812sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s was. I think we do have a croakers thread, but this is no time to be sad. Cheer up, mja! Death is the greatest part of one’livers, and 82 is.A nice age. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

7 March 2013
3.04pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3813sp_Permalink sp_Print

unknown said
That’s was. I think we do have a croakers thread, but this is no time to be sad. Cheer up, mja! Death is the greatest part of one’livers, and 82 is.A nice age. 

I really don’t know what to say to this. “That’s was.” What does that mean? Nowhere in my post do I say “is”. “I think we do have a croakers thread,” yes, and I think if you look back through this thread, disrespectful as I think your “croakers” is, this is the “croakers” thread. Occasionally someone will get their own thread, but here is where deaths are generally mentioned. To feel sorrow at someone’s death, and to commemorate it, is no bad thing. What gives you the idea I need to “cheer up”? Was there anything in my marking the death of an important musician that hinted I was feeling over-emotional about it? I noted his passing, commented on his achievements, and said he would be missed, that’s all. Whatever your beliefs, it is good to mark the transition from one phase to another, and there is nothing wrong in expressing a measure of sadness at that.

7 March 2013
7.20pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 613
3814sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

unknown said

I really don’t know what to say to this. “That’s was.” What does that mean? Nowhere in my post do I say “is”. “I think we do have a croakers thread,” yes, and I think if you look back through this thread, disrespectful as I think your “croakers” is, this is the “croakers” thread. Occasionally someone will get their own thread, but here is where deaths are generally mentioned. To feel sorrow at someone’s death, and to commemorate it, is no bad thing. What gives you the idea I need to “cheer up”? Was there anything in my marking the death of an important musician that hinted I was feeling over-emotional about it? I noted his passing, commented on his achievements, and said he would be missed, that’s all. Whatever your beliefs, it is good to mark the transition from one phase to another, and there is nothing wrong in expressing a measure of sadness at that.

Was this outburst really necessary? It’s pretty obvious he was just trying to be nice.

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'

7 March 2013
8.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Ben Ramon said

Was this outburst really necessary? It’s pretty obvious he was just trying to be nice.

I wanted to point out that this was the thread where deaths are mentioned, and that I found the term “croakers” a disrespectful way to refer to those who have died. Perhaps I should have kept my response less detailed and not gone into why I posted my comments on the passing of Kenny Ball, and my thoughts on commemorating death, but I didn’t really see it as an “outburst”, just a response. I apologise if it reads as an “outburst”.

7 March 2013
9.45pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445
3816sp_Permalink sp_Print

Damn, and just one day after the deaths of Alvin Lee and Canadian legend Stompin’ Tom Connors.

Big R.I.P.s all around :(

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

7 March 2013
10.17pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
3817sp_Permalink sp_Print

unknown said That’s was. I think we do have a croakers thread, but this is no time to be sad. Cheer up, mja! Death is the greatest part of one’livers, and 82 is.A nice age. 

That’s was was supposed to be that’s sad. I should turn the spellcheck off on my iPod because they never make any sense anyhow. I have only heard croak be used in a neutral type of way. Didn’t know some people take offense at that word. I don’t mind that people post deaths here, I was just saying that there is a thread for announcing deaths, if you found that more convenient or whatever to use it (though it doesn’t make a difference to me if you do or not, and I can see how you would take that the wrong way). I felt like your post read very upsetingly, if you don’t need to cheer up then don’t. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

7 March 2013
10.43pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
3818sp_Permalink sp_Print

I understand someone having special feelings for the passing of someone special (talking about people who are not friends or family).  For some reason, I feel more about some celebrities than I do about others.  The deaths of Jack Lemmon and Johnny Carson were particularly sentimental for me.  On another note, after I began to read him more and appreciate him more deeply, simply learning — some 35 years after it happened (1960) — about the tragic motor vehicle accident that killed the French philosopher Albert Camus, filled me with sadness, since it cut down a great thinker in his prime who could, should have lived another 30 or 40 years into a ripe old age.

And of course a forum like this has such a tragedy ever lurking in the shadows of its heart.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

7 March 2013
10.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Thanks for your response, and for not taking offense at my comments (at least yours doesn’t read as if you did, and I apologise if you did). Damn spellchecker! Croak isn’t really offensive, but it’s slang that I personally find disrespectful. As to the thread you mention for announcing deaths, are you referring to Rest in Peace? The intention of that thread seems to be to mark the passing of those (person or pet) who you are close to, and want to express your feelings about. The last time I looked at it, it had only been used by Joe to talk about the death of a friend of his, and those commiserating with Joe over his loss. The marking of deaths that occur in this thread tend more to be those of celebrities. Thanks for the spirit of your thoughts.

7 March 2013
10.54pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
3820sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve always hated talking about death.

My grandma has skincancer (she’s had it for years, but now the future’s not looking too bright) and everytime we’re at her house someone starts about how she has to make a testament and all this constant talking about which friend/family member/faint acquaintance has passed away this time. It always makes me very uncomfortable.

Also, yaay we’ve had two days of spring and now Sunday it’s going to snow again, like, are you kidding me?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694