Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
4 March 2013
3.32am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3781sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh Boy! Japan Surrenders front page. It’s one view of the war!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

4 March 2013
5.19pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781

mja6758 said
I should, at this point, admit to being a complete barbarian. I have no problem with the idea of eating horse meat. Bambi’s very tasty. I look at our teeth and say we are, by nature, an omnivore. I have at times been a vegetarian, dragged back constantly by the smell of bacon. I just choose to avoid low welfare production. I just want to know WHAT I’m eating! Is that too much to ask for? I’m not saying no to anything until I’ve tried it and found I don’t like the taste, but give me the damn choice and don’t trick me into eating it!

I agree and have to say I feel the same. It doesn’t make any difference for me whether I eat horse meat, cow meat or pork meat. I never understood what was wrong with eating horse meat. Is it because they are cuter than pigs and cows? Or because they are ”noble animals” (that’s why my mom doesn’t want to eat horses anyway)? I think that’s bullshit. I do hate the idea of eating cats and dogs though, for some reason. They are just pets. Maybe that does make me a hypocrite and if it does, well, that’s fine by me.

And yeah, I want to know WHAT I’m eating too. Food producers are just obligated to put the ingredients they used on the list on the package of the food. People have the right to know what they’re eating, whether it’s pork or sprayed slime.

Anyway, I had my job interview for the ice cream job this morning and it didn’t go that well. I tried to be as bubbly and cheerful as possible, but I’m just introvert. He gave me some simple math to solve and that went well, because I’m really good at counting, but then he asked me something related to it and my mind went all blank, because of the nerves. And when I’m nervous I just start to ramble on and on. I’ll hear it within 2 weeks or so, but I don’t get my hopes up.

4 March 2013
5.45pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929

Linde said

mja6758 said
I should, at this point, admit to being a complete barbarian. I have no problem with the idea of eating horse meat. Bambi’s very tasty. I look at our teeth and say we are, by nature, an omnivore. I have at times been a vegetarian, dragged back constantly by the smell of bacon. I just choose to avoid low welfare production. I just want to know WHAT I’m eating! Is that too much to ask for? I’m not saying no to anything until I’ve tried it and found I don’t like the taste, but give me the damn choice and don’t trick me into eating it!

I agree and have to say I feel the same. It doesn’t make any difference for me whether I eat horse meat, cow meat or pork meat. I never understood what was wrong with eating horse meat. Is it because they are cuter than pigs and cows? Or because they are ”noble animals” (that’s why my mom doesn’t want to eat horses anyway)? I think that’s bullshit. I do hate the idea of eating cats and dogs though, for some reason. They are just pets. Maybe that does make me a hypocrite and if it does, well, that’s fine by me.

And yeah, I want to know WHAT I’m eating too. Food producers are just obligated to put the ingredients they used on the list on the package of the food. People have the right to know what they’re eating, whether it’s pork or sprayed slime.

Anyway, I had my job interview for the ice cream job this morning and it didn’t go that well. I tried to be as bubbly and cheerful as possible, but I’m just introvert. He gave me some simple math to solve and that went well, because I’m really good at counting, but then he asked me something related to it and my mind went all blank, because of the nerves. And when I’m nervous I just start to ramble on and on. I’ll hear it within 2 weeks or so, but I don’t get my hopes up.

Two of my friends have horses so I don’t think that’s a reason to eat one but not the other. Despite that tho, I know what you mean. I had a cat whom I adored and I would never have thought of eating him for dinner!!

Sorry to hear your interview didn’t go well, no one seems to get any good news these days.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

4 March 2013
6.29pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
3784sp_Permalink sp_Print

Liked that cartoon, egroeG, but dunno if I could find the Beatles reference!

Unless it was “War Is Over” – it wasn’t that, was it?

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

4 March 2013
6.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3785sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said
Liked that cartoon, egroeG, but dunno if I could find the Beatles reference!

Unless it was “War Is Over” – it wasn’t that, was it?

Take a closer look at the “War Is Over” – the written line above it on that front page…

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

4 March 2013
7.35pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members

OK haha, there it is, right above where I thought I found it. Man, I suck! (Still haven’t found Waldo)

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

5 March 2013
6.41am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
3787sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t know where to post this question, so it might as well be here:  Are there any members of this forum from Germany, or who know German?

There’s one phrase in the German version of “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” (Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand ) that I cannot find in any dictionary, and I don’t trust Google translate.

The phrase is:

“einmal so”

Apparently, “einmal” is a very common word in German and can be used in many combinations with other words to form colloquial phrases.  My German dictionary, for example, has about 20 different “einmal” this and that.  But no “einmal so”.

I wonder what German people meant by that in the 1960s, and does it still mean the same?  Is it a slang term?

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

5 March 2013
4.31pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members

Paulsbass, I believe, is German, but he hasn’t posted here for a few weeks. I think there may be others but I can’t think of their names right now.

You might look on the “Introduce yourself!” thread to see who posted their nationalities.

offtopic-1.png

5 March 2013
7.28pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
3789sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can’t believe a week ago it was snowing and today I could go outside in just a shirt and a cardigan. I love spring!

Uh..I’m Dutch but Dutch is quite similar to German so I could look if I know what it means. Don’t have time right now though. Am late already.

5 March 2013
8.17pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3790sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said
The phrase is:

“einmal so”

When I looked at doing a translation myself a few years back, I came up with “once that way”. I’m not saying it’s right, since it’s obviously not “I can’t hide”, but it was the closest phrase I could get to that made sense in English.

5 March 2013
9.01pm
thewordislove94
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 181
3791sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m not German, but after searching on google, one website translated it as “once like this.”

"The world is a very serious and, at times, very sad place - but at other times it is all such a joke."-George Harrison

5 March 2013
9.02pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
3792sp_Permalink sp_Print

More on the topic of horsemeat: A local paper conducted a “Which animals would you eat?” survey. Here are the results:

132 votes – Chicken
128 votes – Cow
125 votes – Salmon
122 votes – Pig
92 votes – Rabbit
72 votes – Kangaroo
67 votes – Horse
64 votes – Frog
62 votes – Camel
58 votes – Seal
25 votes – Caterpillar
0 votes – Dog

offtopic-1.png

5 March 2013
10.45pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
3793sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve looked at the lyrics and it does mean something like ”once” indeed. In Holland we use nearly the same word ”eenmaal”. This may seem weird, but I didn’t just come up with it. I had to look at the lyrics first to see the context before I knew it for sure.

5 March 2013
11.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Hugo Chavez, Venezuela’s president, and South America’s dominant politician for the last decade or so, is dead.

6 March 2013
1.05am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

Thanks to all the responders to my question about “einmal so”.  I think however that some phrases are colloquial and are not literally translatable.  My suspicion is that “einmal so” means something like “that’s the way it is”.  It comes as the climax to the emphatic line which I tentatively translate as —

“In your arms I feel happy and gay,

With another that would never ever be this way (the way that it is).”

— but I could be horribly wrong.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

6 March 2013
3.15am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3796sp_Permalink sp_Print

Strange. According to the Currently Online bit at the bottom of the page, it seems members currently online are:

Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, mja6758, LongHairedLady!

How does that work?

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Starr Shine?

6 March 2013
3.26am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3797sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yay! I’m back to only having one Egroeg Evoli currently online! Five would be too hard to handle!

6 March 2013
3.30am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
3798sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, good, it’s fixed.

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

6 March 2013
10.04am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
3799sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja6758 said

Yay! I’m back to only having one Egroeg Evoli currently online! Five would be too hard to handle!

They’re all imposters! Look at the spelling of the name:

Strange. According to the Currently Online bit at the bottom of the page, it seems members currently online are:
Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, Egroege Evoli, mja6758, LongHairedLady!

offtopic-1.png

6 March 2013
10.19am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

On “einmal so” I stumbled across a rather cheesy German pop singer named “Monique” who has a rather cheesy pop song she sings in a video called “Einmal so, Einmal so”.

I think the appropriate ejaculation at this point would be “lol”.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694