Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
22 February 2013
6.56pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3741sp_Permalink sp_Print

Egroeg,

You seem to be good at creative uses of words — I wonder if you could help me.  I’m trying to find a good rhyme for the word “chopsticks” in a song I’m writing.  Ideally, I’d like the rhyme to at least sound similar to the “o” in “chop” for the first syllable, and have a nice “-ix” sound for the second syllable.

Thanks!

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

22 February 2013
7.01pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3742sp_Permalink sp_Print

mja,

Thanks for that Rutles link.  I’ll take a look soon.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

22 February 2013
7.24pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444
3743sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper, I know you didn’t ask me; but might I suggest “drop kicks”, “hot licks” or “cop flicks”?

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

23 February 2013
12.08am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3744sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said
Funny Paper, I know you didn’t ask me; but might I suggest “drop kicks”, “hot licks” or “cop flicks”?

All good rhymes, however, the rhythm of the line at the juncture in my song would make any one of those sound awkward, since the two syllables will be sung very fast together. 

I’m not good at writing music, but if you know as much or more than I do — imagine a fast tempo song in 4/8, where there is a four-syllable lyric at one point, with all four syllables as fast as four 8th notes in a row, beginning at 3 and ending at 2 of the following measure: “3-4-1-2” (with the last syllable — say “kicks” — held for several beats).

I guess I’d like a 4-syllable word where the last two syllables can rhyme with “chopsticks” and where the 2nd syllable flows smoothly into the 3rd.  Or it could be a one-syllable word followed by a 3-syllable word.

23 February 2013
11.10pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
3745sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said
Egroeg,

You seem to be good at creative uses of words — I wonder if you could help me.  I’m trying to find a good rhyme for the word “chopsticks” in a song I’m writing.  Ideally, I’d like the rhyme to at least sound similar to the “o” in “chop” for the first syllable, and have a nice “-ix” sound for the second syllable.

Thanks!

Funny Paper said

vonbontee said

All good rhymes, however, the rhythm of the line at the juncture in my song would make any one of those sound awkward, since the two syllables will be sung very fast together. 

I’m not good at writing music, but if you know as much or more than I do — imagine a fast tempo song in 4/8, where there is a four-syllable lyric at one point, with all four syllables as fast as four 8th notes in a row, beginning at 3 and ending at 2 of the following measure: “3-4-1-2” (with the last syllable — say “kicks” — held for several beats).

I guess I’d like a 4-syllable word where the last two syllables can rhyme with “chopsticks” and where the 2nd syllable flows smoothly into the 3rd.  Or it could be a one-syllable word followed by a 3-syllable word.

I’ll try to think of something, and this info helps, but it might be easier if you could tell me what the lyric is.

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

23 February 2013
11.16pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
3746sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just thought of some: tropics, electronics, harmonics, comics, topics, onyx. They have the “o” sound and end in “-ix,” but I don’t know if any will work…

~witty quote~

23 February 2013
11.49pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

More sad news, especially for sci-fi fans. The death has been announced of Ray Cusick, the BBC designer who designed the Deleks 50 years ago, just a few short months before the anniversary of when they first appeared on our screens. For many of us who grew up peeking out at them from behind our sofas, a sad day indeed. For someone of my age, perhaps the most iconic sci-fi baddies ever. A shame he didn’t make it to the 50th anniversary celebrations.

What a week! Richard Briers last Sunday. Animator Bob Godfrey yesterday, who created such greats as Roobarb (voiced by Richard Briers). And now Ray Cusick! Sad days indeed!

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

24 February 2013
10.49am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
3748sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sad news, that a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

I´ve just heard that The Bag O´Nails is going to re-open this year as a ”high-end private members club”.

http://www.bag-o-nails.com/

Wonder if it will last…

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

24 February 2013
11.52am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
3749sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sad news about Ray Cusick. Scared the living heck out of many a child and adult for nearly 50 years thru creating the Daleks. By far the greatest enemy of the Doctor. Hopefully something will be done in the 50th anniversay celebrations, which i am very much looking forward too, to remember the man. Sadly i think there will be much bigger official celebrations for Doctor Who than The Beatles in total (where so far we have had a remastered single they got wrong in the pressing – the vinyl were not part of the 50th).

All after the hype of its returning i sky+’d Ant and Dec’s Saturday Night Takeaway and my word was it, pardon the language, shite. This is Prime Time TV entertainment? Lots of over the top hollering for no reason by the audience, a cringing audience text thing, David Walliams, a terrible hidden camera stunt with Louis Walsh, and will someone please tell the world of TV that Robbie Williams is neither a good singer, a cheeky chappie, or wanted on many peoples tv’s. And someone also tell Ant and Dec to ad lib more and not stick to the autocue where they look wooden and stilted. Why on earth did i watch ITV?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 February 2013
12.42pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

How to know a band are miming #289 (watch it complete – absolute chaos.) I MISS RINGO!!!a-hard-days-night-ringo-15 If that had of been in ’66 i can see John and George starting a fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v…..jNysj0PxT4

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 February 2013
3.28pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

Egroeg Evoli said
Just thought of some: tropics, electronics, harmonics, comics, topics, onyx. They have the “o” sound and end in “-ix,” but I don’t know if any will work…

Wow, thanks.  Now, why didn’t I think of all those…?  a-hard-days-night-paul-7I’ll see if any of those work.

24 February 2013
3.36pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members

Egroeg Evoli said
 it might be easier if you could tell me what the lyric is.

The way I write songs, I come up with the melody and rhythm of the notes first, then fill in the words later.  I know it sounds weird to do it this way, and sometimes it’s conducive to writing whimsical or nearly nonsensical songs; but I’ve often come up with meaningful lyrics this way.  I guess it’s analogous to the “meter” some poets limit themselves to.

If you meant you’d like to see the “chopsticks” line, this is it:

It was the sweet & sour duck,

from take-out, from the same box,

sharing the same pair of chopsticks…

My fortune said I was in luck,

not in love,

_____________________ (this is where I’m stuck — note: I don’t really need a rhyme for “box”, the way the melody goes; and again, the line needs to be only four syllables, as opposed to the many syllables of the first stanza)

24 February 2013
3.37pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members

Funny Paper said

Wow, thanks.  Now, why didn’t I think of all those…?  a-hard-days-night-paul-7I’ll see if any of those work.

You’re quite welcome. :) If you need any more help with the song, I’d be happy to help.

~witty quote~

24 February 2013
3.39pm
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
3754sp_Permalink sp_Print

Funny Paper said

Egroeg Evoli said
 it might be easier if you could tell me what the lyric is.

The way I write songs, I come up with the melody and rhythm of the notes first, then fill in the words later.  I know it sounds weird to do it this way, and sometimes it’s conducive to writing whimsical or nearly nonsensical songs; but I’ve often come up with meaningful lyrics this way.  I guess it’s analogous to the “meter” some poets limit themselves to.

That sounds like as good a method as any.

~witty quote~

24 February 2013
4.25pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

In the event that someone has been looking for or waiting for the Twickenham Purple Chick A/B Road discs to surface then you can find them being uploaded at Everything… Beatles. Currently 2nd and 3rd January are up and the person running the blog uploads in order so you shouldnt have to wait months to get them all.  

This site has nothing to do with me or this site, im just letting folks know as it has been asked once or twice here.

26 February 2013
1.19pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3756sp_Permalink sp_Print

Am ill again so Anthology on, first time in a couple of years ive seen it. Was going to watch part 3 but those pesky Beatles made me go back to the beginning.

26 February 2013
6.55pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
3757sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Am ill again so Anthology on, first time in a couple of years ive seen it. Was going to watch part 3 but those pesky Beatles made me go back to the beginning.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

apple01

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 February 2013
9.59pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
3758sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

I was watching that during Christmas holidays, and got stuck at part 4 or 5. After that I kind of forgot about it. Now I’ve forgotten where I was in which part, so I guess I have to watch it all over again now too. Oh the paina-hard-days-night-george-10

Aaaaand I’m actually superhappy. I applied for a summer job in the canteen of the hospital, and they said I looked like a nice and hardworking girl so I got the job. At least it’s something. Now I still don’t have a job for in the meantime, I’d like to have a more..permanent job. It’s actually very hard to find work, BUT I’ve got 2 job interviews coming up! One for a cinema assistent and one for an ice cream seller, which are both great since the first one means free access to all movies and the latter means free ice cream. I hope one of them will be my new job.

28 February 2013
1.55am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Free movie access or free ice cream! Lucky… :D Congratulations!

~witty quote~

28 February 2013
9.23am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
3760sp_Permalink sp_Print

If Linde could combine both jobs, she could eat ice cream and watch movies — and get paid!a-hard-days-night-george-9

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691