Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
13 February 2013
8.22pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Some Wikipedia entries are locked, and that is shown by a closed padlock, but the majority are open. The locked ones tend to be major subjects like, say, Paul McCartney . But locked subjects are generally locked by request of the object of the subject.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 February 2013
9.22pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
3702sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t think I’ve ever encountered any “locked” articles before! The McCartney article is only semi-protected, which I guess means only folks with an active account (ie. anybody who bothers to register for one) can edit it. Really, it seems to me that any vandalism problems generally take care of themselves. There’s enough responsible users worldwide to fix up any obvious nonsense once it’s spotted; and anybody who repeatedly creates such nonsense can have their account deleted.

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

13 February 2013
9.56pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Sorry, you’re right. What I meant was that you had to reach a certain trusted level before you could edit certain articles. It is often the case that the subject requests that. I have altered, I think, 4 articles in all, without challenge to anything I have entered. I would need at least another 6 without challenge to possibly alter “Paul McCartney ” in any way. Some entries, and I wouldn’t be surprised if McCartney’s wasn’t one, require many more edits without challenge before you can change them. It’s a strange thing, and a good thing, you need to work your up through the levels. I’m the bottom rung still.

EDIT: Paul, having looked at the protection fully, I am sure would be covered by this, which spells out that certain topics ARE locked: “Administrators may apply indefinite semi-protection to pages that are subject to heavy and persistent vandalism or violations of content policy (such as biographies of living persons, neutral point of view).”

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 February 2013
1.00am
Egroeg Evoli
Across the universe
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1807
3704sp_Permalink sp_Print

“Warwick Avenue” and “Mercy”: The only songs by Duffy that I know.

Speaking of which, my sister used to think “Mercy” was called “Texas.” I don’t know why… a-hard-days-night-george-4

Also known as Egg-Rock, Egg-Roll, E-George, Eggy, Ravioli, Eggroll Eggrolli...

~witty quote~

14 February 2013
2.05pm
Linde
The Netherlands
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2781
3705sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think Warwick Avenue and Rain on your parade were alright, but I REALLY hate Mercy. 

And I just don’t like her voice in general.

15 February 2013
5.41pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
3706sp_Permalink sp_Print

http://nyti.ms/VVEfT9

Here´s a Q and A with Paul that I just read, dont know if anyone is interested….

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

15 February 2013
5.44pm
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
3707sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^ Thanks for the link. Shouldn’t this be in a Beatle-related thread like news?

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

15 February 2013
5.52pm
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
3708sp_Permalink sp_Print

parlance said
^^ Thanks for the link. Shouldn’t this be in a Beatle-related thread like news?

parlance

Yes, maybe. In fact I just thought of that myself. Apologies.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

15 February 2013
9.30pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
3709sp_Permalink sp_Print

Aw, don’t worry, it’s impossible to derail the thread after all. And I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the link!

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

15 February 2013
9.33pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3710sp_Permalink sp_Print

A great interview wherever it’s put. And something that can’t be derailed can’t be derailed.

16 February 2013
4.53am
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
3711sp_Permalink sp_Print

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

16 February 2013
5.52am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
3712sp_Permalink sp_Print

Uh…what the hell was that??

offtopic-1.png

16 February 2013
10.55am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
3713sp_Permalink sp_Print

Weird but interesting. Sounds like a live African Hello, Goodbye coda.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

16 February 2013
11.12am
parlance
Slaggers
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 7111
3714sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said
Aw, don’t worry, it’s impossible to derail the thread after all. And I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the link!

Wasn’t a matter of derailing the thread, but wondering if people who don’t read this thread would see the interview.

parlance

Beware of sadness. It can hit you. It can hurt you. Make you sore and what is more, that is not what you are here for. - George

Check out my fan video for Paul's song "Appreciate" at Vimeo or YouTube.

16 February 2013
11.28pm
Funny Paper
America
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2080
3715sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Weird but interesting. Sounds like a live African Hello, Goodbye coda.

Close.  They’re chanting “Hela Hela!” (with the legendary Cuban conga drummer Francisco Aquabella (1925-2010) chanting lead stuff) which, however, I can’t find in my Spanish dictionary.  I think it might mean “Alas!” but not sure.  Anyway, it’s the Latin rock group Malo (lead guitarist is Jorge Santana, brother of Carlos), from their second album titled Dos.

Faded flowers, wait in a jar, till the evening is complete... complete... complete... complete...

17 February 2013
4.44am
Gerard
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 683
3716sp_Permalink sp_Print

Speaking of chants, did the chants at the end of the Walrus inspired the ones in Finding Nemo? “Shark Bait” also sounds somewhat familiar.

17 February 2013
5.00am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
3717sp_Permalink sp_Print

So THAT’S Malo, eh? How about that…I used to see that album all the time when I used to trawl used record stores back in the day, never bought it though. Didn’t care for that track myself, sounded more African than Latin. (Not that i’ve got a problem with African sounds – I’ve got several Fela Kuti records that I like a lot. I only recently found out that it was Fela himself who accused Paul of going to Nigeria with the intent of stealing the black man’s music!)

offtopic-1.png

18 February 2013
12.47pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

More very sad news. The incredibly talented actor Richard Briers most famous for starring in the Good Life, i preferred Ever Decreasing Circles, but appeared in many excellent shows of all genres on TV, radio, film and stage has died aged 79 for 5 decades. Richard came across as being very warm, generous, charasmatic, friendly and approachable in all his interviews and appearances and whilst his passing is a big loss he leaves behind a wealth of exceptional depth and quality in his work.

If you havent seen some of his work, even if its just a clip from the Good Life on Youtube, dig it out and have a laugh.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

18 February 2013
1.09pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3719sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sad news about Richard Briers. I grew up watching him. One of the greatest comic actors of his generation, and was just as good in straight roles. He will be remembered with great affection.

There was also the sad news overnight that troubled US country singer Mindy McCready has taken her own life, a month after her husband killed himself. She shot herself in the same spot as he did. A tragedy for their son (born less than a year ago), and her older son from a former relationship.

18 February 2013
7.50pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3720sp_Permalink sp_Print

I saw the sad news about Mindy McCready on the bbc site. Not an artist i know anything about but her name I had heard of. Tragic for the children, losing one parent is horrific enough but the youngest has lost both so quickly. So many losses over the last month or two.

Anyone know anything about having wisdom teeth removed, have 2 growing in and have been referred to have them yanked out. Main question i have is afterwards would it be better to have someone to get me home as its a bus ride and 20 min walk from the city of extraction to home?

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694