Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
7 July 2012
7.19pm
Bjway
On The Hill
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 166
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3181sp_Permalink sp_Print

I managed to get 95% on the Canadian test. I got halfway through the British one when I figured it was futile a-hard-days-night-ringo-14.

The Pope owns 51% of General Motors

7 July 2012
8.46pm
The Walrus
Working for the national health
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1026
3182sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
The Beatles are likely to be added to the British Citizen Test in a shake of what is asked. I took the current one and failed getting 53%, being born and bred in Scotland.

58% a-hard-days-night-paul-11

(Still failed and got kicked out of the country)

I told her I didn’t 

7 July 2012
9.34pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24959
3183sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Walrus said

meanmistermustard said
The Beatles are likely to be added to the British Citizen Test in a shake of what is asked. I took the current one and failed getting 53%, being born and bred in Scotland.

58% a-hard-days-night-paul-11

(Still failed and got kicked out of the country)

I’ll send you a pm from my ipod when theyre deporting me so you have a headstart on them.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 July 2012
5.19am
mr. Sun king coming together
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6402
3184sp_Permalink sp_Print

Watching a SNL rerun – One Direction is Truly. The. Worst. Thing. Ever. And Jason Sudeikis is my new hero.

As if it matters how a man falls down.'

'When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal.

8 July 2012
5.28am
mithveaen
Sitarday's room
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4621
3185sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8  When you see One Direction.. just run… run as fast as you can… a-hard-days-night-ringo-13

Here comes the sun….. Scoobie-doobie……

Something in the way she moves…..attracts me like a cauliflower…

Bop. Bop, cat bop. Go, Johnny, Go.

Beware of Darkness… 

8 July 2012
11.05am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3186sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Havent heard a worse song than One Directions Thats What Makes You Beautiful for a long time, right from the off it makes you want to barf. No feel to the song just computerised garbage that has been so badly recycled and compressed into more crap. Modern commercial music stinks from miles away.blue-meanie

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 July 2012
12.18pm
McLennonSon
In the middle of the roundabout
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 810
3187sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Havent heard a worse song than One Directions Thats What Makes You Beautiful for a long time, right from the off it makes you want to barf. No feel to the song just computerised garbage that has been so badly recycled and compressed into more crap. Modern commercial music stinks from miles away.blue-meanie

eeyup.com

My Music Blog.
One and one don't make two
One and one make one.

8 July 2012
1.13pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 613

On the topic of today’s music being rubbish, I (and a lot of other people apparently) feel that Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” is a step back in the right direction for modern commercial pop. Beatles-level catchiness and great use of strings in the chorus, and I think the lyrics are pretty passable too, which is more than I can say for most of the stuff I hear in clubs.

SHUT UP - Paulie's talkin'

8 July 2012
1.32pm
McLennonSon
Shea Stadium
Members

Ben Ramon said
On the topic of today’s music being rubbish, I (and a lot of other people apparently) feel that Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” is a step back in the right direction for modern commercial pop. Beatles-level catchiness and great use of strings in the chorus, and I think the lyrics are pretty passable too, which is more than I can say for most of the stuff I hear in clubs.

Hmmm. I’ve never actually thought of that, I think a-hard-days-night-ringo-15 maybe right. And on another tought, Call Me Maybe is using more chords than the standard I-IV-V-VI chords. And it actually sounds more like alt.rock to me ears than it sounds like pop. Kinda catchy. But it has still a vamp :C

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8EDIT: It doesn’t use the VI chord, but it uses the other ones.ahdn_paul_01

My Music Blog.
One and one make one.

8 July 2012
3.17pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
3190sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ben Ramon – you’re entirely right, insofar as it’s shitloads better then everything else that’s popular. But when you consider what’s actually out there from today, it’s mediocre. Maybe I’m still biased, because I saw what might be the best concert I’ve ever seen, a Canadian band called the Arkells. That is what we should comparing music to, not to Bieber and One Direction, but to the Arkells or Arcade Fire – the people who make actually good music.

(Ben – that stops being directed at you at some point. I’m not sure when, but don’t get offended – it became the typed version of the rant I’ve given millions of times)

8 July 2012
4.44pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
3191sp_Permalink sp_Print

McLennonSon said

Ben Ramon said

Hmmm. I’ve never actually thought of that, I think a-hard-days-night-ringo-15 maybe right. And on another tought, Call Me Maybe is using more chords than the standard I-IV-V-VI chords. And it actually sounds more like alt.rock to me ears than it sounds like pop. Kinda catchy. But it has still a vamp :C

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8EDIT: It doesn’t use the VI chord, but it uses the other ones.ahdn_paul_01

Not necessarily in terms of theoretical complexity, but it’s just… well… a “good song.” The way the verse gradually builds to a climax which explodes into the chorus works extremely well, as does the way the strings and the vocal melody alternate and play off each other in the chorus. Obviously some people may find it insipid, annoying dreck but the first time I ever heard it in a gay club in the city I was blown away, it had me by the balls instantly, and I was moved and impressed by how mad everyone went when it came on. Wildly dancing, hugging euphoric people who were all having a great time, united by this song, and I was standing in the middle of it thinking “wow.”

mr. Sun king coming together said
Ben Ramon – you’re entirely right, insofar as it’s shitloads better then everything else that’s popular. But when you consider what’s actually out there from today, it’s mediocre. Maybe I’m still biased, because I saw what might be the best concert I’ve ever seen, a Canadian band called the Arkells. That is what we should comparing music to, not to Bieber and One Direction, but to the Arkells or Arcade Fire – the people who make actually good music.

(Ben – that stops being directed at you at some point. I’m not sure when, but don’t get offended – it became the typed version of the rant I’ve given millions of times)

No offense taken! To be honest, I think the people who get upset about Bieber being massively popular should stop worrying. He’s nothing but a teenage fad, based mostly on his image and good looks, which is most probably engineered by a bunch of people in a boardroom discussing how they can make him look introspective and appealing to hormonal teenage girls on the next album cover. I know people said the same thing about the Beatles when they first started, but do you think Bieber is going to turn out a Sgt Pepper in the next five years? No music critic takes him seriously because they know his following is comprised largely of people too young to know better.

As for Arcade Fire, I’ve never got it, but each to his own.

8 July 2012
4.57pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members
3192sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Or Feist, or City and Colour, or Florence and the Machine, or Adele, or Sam Roberts, or Sheepdogs, or Kings of Leon. Really, I just mean, why use a band/artist you hate (Bieber, 1D, Katy Perry) as the benchmark? Why not use bands (from the same time period – it’s a fools game trying to compare the 60’s to now) that you enjoy?

(I just used Arcade Fire because I love them, and I was using them as a personal example. I’ve learned that demonizing people because of differing tastes is well, idiotic.)

8 July 2012
5.11pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
3193sp_Permalink sp_Print

mr. Sun king coming together said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Or Feist, or City and Colour, or Florence and the Machine, or Adele, or Sam Roberts, or Sheepdogs, or Kings of Leon. Really, I just mean, why use a band/artist you hate (Bieber, 1D, Katy Perry) as the benchmark? Why not use bands (from the same time period – it’s a fools game trying to compare the 60’s to now) that you enjoy?

Very good point. I am often disturbed by the attitude I see towards Bieber by Beatles fans (including on this forum) and others who proclaim themselves fans of “true music”: leveling violent threats and all kinds of venom and vitriol towards someone who is really just an inexperienced teenager and has no real say in the writing or production of their songs. Also people who make the ridiculous claim that Paul or Ringo, if they were to meet Bieber, would punch him in the face or whatever; don’t you think they’d know better?

As you said, instead of scouting out the untalented artists in the world in order to attack and deplore them and their fans, why don’t people scout out the talented artists and ignore what they don’t like? I thought “All You Need Is Love ” was the general consensus among Beatle fans but my faith in that has been warped slightly by what I’ve seen on the internet.

8 July 2012
7.08pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3194sp_Permalink sp_Print

Carly Rae Jepsen’s “Call Me Maybe” didnt do anything for me, just seemed to labour along. I think im just too old. The last song i really liked from recent times was The Golden Age by The Asteroids as it was different to everything else going on, has a really cool groove to the song.

8 July 2012
8.19pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
3195sp_Permalink sp_Print

For my money, the greatest band of very recent years is Animal Collective, who combine psychedelic folk and Beach Boys -esque melodic pop with noise and electronic effects. It took me a very long time to get into them, but once their artistic merit dawned on me I was hooked.

8 July 2012
9.06pm
McLennonSon
Shea Stadium
Members
3196sp_Permalink sp_Print

My Music Blog.
One and one make one.

8 July 2012
9.48pm
Nowhere Land
Apple rooftop
Members

Me, I’d have to say, if I had a gun to my head and had to pick only one current band, I would pick… gosh, this is hard. Probably… I can’t do it. I guess Arcade Fire, but that’d be hard. 

It drives me insane when people say there are no good bands out today. I can’t stand it. I’m sitting at my computer, scrolling through my albums on iTunes. 26 full albums released since 2004, 13 artists, all bought since 2010. There is loads of good music out there that people don’t know, that I don’t know. I get that not all bands I love will be loved by all – on a recent car trip, I played my Mom Arcade Fire’s Funeral for the first time. She wasn’t in love with it. Fine. But when people cavalierly dismiss entire periods of music as crap, I can’t stand it. I could pull out 3 recommendations of current bands for anyone who asks.  Sorry, got rambling there.

Ben Ramon said 

Very good point. I am often disturbed by the attitude I see towards Bieber by Beatles fans (including on this forum) and others who proclaim themselves fans of “true music”: leveling violent threats and all kinds of venom and vitriol towards someone who is really just an inexperienced teenager and has no real say in the writing or production of their songs. Also people who make the ridiculous claim that Paul or Ringo, if they were to meet Bieber, would punch him in the face or whatever; don’t you think they’d know better?

As you said, instead of scouting out the untalented artists in the world in order to attack and deplore them and their fans, why don’t people scout out the talented artists and ignore what they don’t like? I thought “All You Need Is Love ” was the general consensus among Beatle fans but my faith in that has been warped slightly by what I’ve seen on the internet.

If i was old enough to drink I’d probably drink to Justin’s health. I hold no ill will for Justin as a person, or even that he’s successful. But I don’t like his music. Keep it at that – why bring the person into it? I know 5 girls at my high school who are the biggest One direction fans ever. I hate 1D, but I don’t begrudge them for liking 1D. I merely keep the subject off music in their company. Why must we think that popularity matters, and begrudge people for either being popular (Bieber, 1D) or being fans of popular acts (like my “friends”)? There’s something wrong in a world where people feel compelled to issue death threats because they don’t like a kid’s music.

The following people thank mr. Sun king coming together for this post:

Starr Shine?

8 July 2012
11.36pm
Ben Ramon
Carnegie Hall
Members
3198sp_Permalink sp_Print

Precisely. I’m glad you share my view apple01

It does anger me when people make claims which have no basis in facts or knowledge (“One Direction have more influence over the youth of today than the Beatles ever had”), or are stupid (“Did Kurt Cobain have as many followers on Twitter as Justin Bieber? I don’t think so!”) or even completely inane (“the Beatles are bad because they’re OLD”). All of these are things I’ve seen written in arguments on the internet, although I’ve taken the liberty of paraphrasing and improving the grammar. But if there are people who like One Direction and Bieber more, then so be it. When those artists start releasing albums that are unanimously hailed by critics as influential classics, I’ll start worrying.

9 July 2012
9.40am
fabfouremily
Sitting in an English garden
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2929
3199sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t worry, I don’t think that’s very likely to happen. I try not to get annoyed when my older sister says things like Katy Perry is better than The Beatles because she is actually from this era. Yes, she is, but in 50 years times, will anybody remember her? Probably not. Do people still remeber clasic bands like Simon and Garfunkel, The Stones and of course, The Beatles? Certainly!! That’s why we’re here. And if it does happen, then I will eat my words with grace.

Moving along in our God given ways, safety is sat by the fire/Sanctuary from these feverish smiles, left with a mark on the door.

(Passover - I. Curtis)

9 July 2012
3.41pm
atlesbe
The Jacaranda
Members
Forum Posts: 27
3200sp_Permalink sp_Print

http://tunein.com/search/?query=+beatles

Beatles 24 hours.My favorite: Macca Radio

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2857
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5516
Newest Members:
vtrop, nickygrangery, pmolsen, thebeatlesshow, Boy Im Gonna Carry That Weight
Moderators: Joe: 5692, meanmistermustard: 24959, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5692