Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
26 February 2023
7.22pm
Sea Belt
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 977
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23421sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I remember years ago flying with my acoustic guitar. When I got to the airport, they told me to take it out of the case and loosen the strings, because they might break from the air pressure.  I took it on a flight to Washington, D.C. to visit my father (from whom my mother divorced when I was 2), and one night during my stay at his apartment I sang him a couple of songs I had written — one of which he liked, titled “God ‘s With You” — even though he was a lifelong atheist.

The following people thank Sea Belt for this post:

Neely, Richard, Beatlebug

Now today I find, you have changed your mind

26 February 2023
7.47pm
Neely
Memphis, Tennessee
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 448
23422sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sea Belt said
I remember years ago flying with my acoustic guitar. When I got to the airport, they told me to take it out of the case and loosen the strings, because they might break from the air pressure.  I took it on a flight to Washington, D.C. to visit my father (from whom my mother divorced when I was 2), and one night during my stay at his apartment I sang him a couple of songs I had written — one of which he liked, titled “God ‘s With You” — even though he was a lifelong atheist.

My father is in a rehab center somewhere in Middle Tennessee. He always calls my mother to get through to me and I finally got enough courage to tell him I dont want to have a relationship with him after how awful he has been to me and my mother. My parents had me when they were 15 and 16 and they divorced when I was 2 years old. I was in split custody until I was 5, but every time it was my dad’s week he would give me to his grandparents. That’s how I got close with my great grandparents. It really effected me when they both died almost four years ago now. The domestic abuse towards my mother wasn’t cool either. 

But, I am going with my aunt (not the farm aunt, one of the ones that lives in Tennessee). Last time I was with her I was in Gulf Shores at farm aunt’s house and Tennessee aunt had to take me back to Memphis because I had a dental surgery that I completely forgot about. She didn’t want me to take my guitar with me in her car because she “didn’t want to hear it or see it” and there was plenty of room in her car. I insisted though because I knew if I left my guitar in gulf shores I was never going to get it back. Keep in mind this is the guitar that I have the most emotional connection to: my Takamine. I don’t think Tennessee aunt is going to let me take my guitar to Virginia on a plane with her.

I am not going to be able to do anything music related for a week. and I might go insane. I wonder if I could sneak a flute in my carry on.

The following people thank Neely for this post:

Sea Belt, Beatlebug
26 February 2023
9.55pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
23423sp_Permalink sp_Print

Neely said
Alright, I am reconsidering all of my life choices again…

Last night my mom talked to me and she made the point that I cannot even play a whole song in one sitting. I can, I just don’t do in front of her because every time I play guitar, flute, mandolin, piano, ukulele, or bass around her she tells me to stop. Now I am wondering why I even play music if people don’t see how much I love it. I honestly couldn’t imagine myself with any other career and if I don’t end up doing this with my life I will be worthless. Me and my family have spent thousands of dollars on instruments and then they want to bring me down and make me stop! This is the same with the rest of my family, they don’t want to hear me play and will make comments about how much I am invested into music. One I was making the point to my grandfather that I cannot bring instruments on a plane (i have a trip coming up) and he said “that’ll be good for  you, you’ll get a break from music.” 

Edit: wrote some pretty good lyrics about this situation. they’re a little angry though. 

I believe in you, @Neely. You have a drive and passion (and versatility!) that I can only dream of, and I think ultimately the fact that your family are not supportive may even provide you with even more motivation to achieve your dreams. One day, you’ll prove the naysayers wrong, and it’ll be all the more satisfying; until then, my advice is, you don’t need other people’s validation to continue playing music. Play music for yourself. Art is deeply personal and, often, the more selfish it is, the better it is. So if your music satisfies your soul, eventually, other people will begin to notice – maybe not your family, but people who can help you on your way, and people who will support your art.

And I know how it feels to go nuts from not having an instrument handy – that’s exactly why I learned guitar, so that I could have a portable instrument to play (I started on piano, probably when I was about your age), and even then, I have a big old dreadnought acoustic and it hasn’t always been able to make it into the car on family camping trips when we were stuffed to the gills with luggage. It’s painful to be chilling in the mountains surrounded by natural beauty and not be able to strum an acoustic tune or two. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Sea Belt, Neely, Richard

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

26 February 2023
10.16pm
Sea Belt
Shea Stadium
Members
23424sp_Permalink sp_Print

I remember many years ago, between my first Bachelor’s degree (in History) and my second (in Comparative Religions) when I had to find a job and didn’t know what I really wanted to do (Out of college, money spent
See no future, pay no rent, All the money’s gone, nowhere to go) I landed a job as a security guard and I was assigned an old building in downtown Seattle during swing shift (ending at midnight when another guard came to relieve me) — the entire small building was usually empty during my watch.  I soon realized I could get away with murder, so I would bring my guitar and sit in the stairwell practicing and singing, great acoustics in there.  I worked on my song “Firewater” in there, as I recall.  Then one weekend the Seattle Folk Festival occurred, so after I arrived at 4:00 pm, I waited an hour, then took the bus down to Seattle Center and spent a few hours watching various folk artists and bands play and got back before my shift was over.

It is a shame Neely’s family doesn’t appreciate his talents.  One can also experience that from friends and strangers while trying to create a musical life.  During that same period above I had a romantic view of wanting to become a singer/songwriter, and I tried to find every open mic venue I could to perform.  One of them was a cool cafe, very large, that had an open mic night once a week.  I played there a dozen times.  One time, I’m getting myself set up on the stool situated in the center of the tables where people are mostly talking, I’m draping my guitar strap over my shoulder and positioning the one microphone on a stand before me, and this guy who worked in the cafe shouted at me “Are you going to play your usual stuff that all sounds the same?”

Another time there, in the middle of my second song, the cafe crowd all around me was increasing their talking so much they began to drown me out, prompting the owner of the cafe to shout at everybody to quiet down and show some respect.  I appreciated that.

Another time, when I was able to participate in the Seattle Folk Festival itself, some of my friends came along and sat in the front row before the elevated stage where I was performing.  During my cover of Gordon Lightfoot’s “Brave Mountaineers” where there’s a whistling interlude, I lost my pucker — I pursed my lips, but nothing came out!  One of my friends howled in laughter.

26 February 2023
10.25pm
Neely
Memphis, Tennessee
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
23425sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
 It’s painful to be chilling in the mountains surrounded by natural beauty and not be able to strum an acoustic tune or two.  

Exactly. One time me, my mother, and step father all spent the whole day in Cades Cove around these beautiful homes from the 1800s and I was very inspired by that because I like a lot of early blues and such from that time period. I couldn’t do anything about it though, my guitars were in Memphis. I could’ve brought a ukulele, but my mom said no.

Beatlebug
26 February 2023
10.34pm
Neely
Memphis, Tennessee
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
23426sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sea Belt said

Another time, when I was able to participate in the Seattle Folk Festival itself, some of my friends came along and sat in the front row before the elevated stage where I was performing.  During my cover of Gordon Lightfoot’s “Brave Mountaineers” where there’s a whistling interlude, I lost my pucker — I pursed my lips, but nothing came out!  One of my friends howled in laughter.

The last gig I had I was playing Tender by Blur. There is a gospel choir in said song, so I found a group of people and they agreed to do the song with me. I have photic sneeze reflex, so lights make me sneeze. I told the lighting guy “hey don’t put lights in my eyes!” 

So I finish a verse right… then the choir sings their part. They’re singing “come on come on come on get through it” and right before I come in the lighting guy puts the lights RIGHT IN MY FACE!!

I sneezed and I hit my face on the microphone. I walked away from the mic and got somebody else to sing the rest of the song. 

I did this in secret… I got the owner of a record store i know to take me there without my grandma knowing (i was living with her at the time) I told yall I used to be sketchy…

So that was my blunder… I shouldn’t have snuck out.

Sea Belt
26 February 2023
10.46pm
Sea Belt
Shea Stadium
Members
23427sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow that’s embarrassing @Neely !

I had another experience singing a song in Italian (“Meglio Stasera”) in a cafe and in the middle of it I became hopelessly tongue-tied and my jaw spazzed out.  I couldn’t finish the song, but at least one woman at a nearby table said “It’s okay!” so I moved on to my next song.

Neely

26 February 2023
10.55pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
23428sp_Permalink sp_Print

Neely said

Exactly. One time me, my mother, and step father all spent the whole day in Cades Cove around these beautiful homes from the 1800s and I was very inspired by that because I like a lot of early blues and such from that time period. I couldn’t do anything about it though, my guitars were in Memphis. I could’ve brought a ukulele, but my mom said no.  

I’ve been there and it is a really cool place! Sad you couldn’t capitalize on the inspiration – I know how that feels a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Neely

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

27 February 2023
1.21am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
23429sp_Permalink sp_Print

Erm… @Von Bontee, @vonbontee, @Sea Belt, just wondering if you noticed the spoiler underneath the Budokan/Bond scene? a-hard-days-night-paul-7

But that, of course, was an April Fool’s Day prank in 2010.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Richard, vonbontee

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

27 February 2023
2.59am
Sea Belt
Shea Stadium
Members
23430sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Erm… @Von Bontee, @vonbontee, @Sea Belt, just wondering if you noticed the spoiler underneath the Budokan/Bond scene? a-hard-days-night-paul-7

But that, of course, was an April Fool’s Day prank in 2010.

Aha!

27 February 2023
3.22am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
23431sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

Yep, overlooked completely. 

Nicely done john-lennon-salute_gif 

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

27 February 2023
6.31pm
Sea Belt
Shea Stadium
Members
23432sp_Permalink sp_Print

Re: the current Baker’s Dozen — 13 Beatles or solo songs in which they sing (or speak or shout) one or more numbers — I bet no Beatles or solo songs have the word “eleven” in their lyrics.

27 February 2023
7.07pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
23433sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sea Belt said
Re: the current Baker’s Dozen — 13 Beatles or solo songs in which they sing (or speak or shout) one or more numbers — I bet no Beatles or solo songs have the word “eleven” in their lyrics.

Does this count @Sea Belt?

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Richard

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

27 February 2023
7.16pm
Sea Belt
Shea Stadium
Members
23434sp_Permalink sp_Print

sigh butterfly said

Sea Belt said

Does this count @Sea Belt?

Sweet!a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

27 February 2023
8.41pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240
23435sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Sea Belt, It’s Stevie Wonder counting, but it is in a Paul solo song. The video should start a 5:44.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

vonbontee, Sea Belt, Richard
28 February 2023
4.55am
Neely
Memphis, Tennessee
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
23436sp_Permalink sp_Print

You all know I play 6 instruments… but I want to play all of the instruments! Which should I pick up next? Note I am only listing ones I can afford + ones I know a guy to get them off of. I finally have enough money to make another purchase. I really need to do drums at some point, but the budget dont fit that…

Sitar (because George)

Alto or Tenor Saxophone (because david bowie)

Bb Clarinet (because When I’m Sixty Four)

12 string acoustic guitar (everybody needs a good 12 string)

banjo (what can i say, I like folk)

piccolo (even though it’s just a flute an octave higher. I already play flute)

save up for drums 

or just buy a good piano, even though I already own a shitty one.

Sea Belt, Beatlebug
28 February 2023
8.08am
Sea Belt
Shea Stadium
Members
23437sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Neely — I vote for the deep clarinet.

@Ahhh Girl — I can’t make out what he’s singing!

28 February 2023
1.34pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22240
23438sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Sea Belt

Girl, I like what you’re doing
When it’s one o’clock, when it’s two o’clock
When it’s three, when it’s our, when it’s five o’clock
When it’s seven o’clock, when it’s eight o’clock
When is nine and ten and eleven o’clock (Oh, come on, do it to me some more)
When it’s one o’clock, when it’s two o’clock
I like it anyway

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Sea Belt, Richard
28 February 2023
2.02pm
Neely
Memphis, Tennessee
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
23439sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sea Belt said
@Neely — I vote for the deep clarinet

I don’t know anywhere I could get one used!

Sea Belt
28 February 2023
6.10pm
Sea Belt
Shea Stadium
Members
23440sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
@Sea Belt, It’s Stevie Wonder counting, but it is in a Paul solo song. The video should start a 5:44.

Stevie was the master of the rapid-fire patter. The best example I’ve heard:

Von Bontee

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694