Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
8 July 2022
5.36pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5447
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23341sp_Permalink sp_Print

Mombontee and myself went to see it the three nights ago, myself with trepidation ’cause I hated what I’d seen of Luhrmann’s approach based on previous work (made it through first 20 minutes of “Moulin Rouge”, first 5 of “Great Gatsby”); and figured that mom would have even less patience for his over-the-top ness And indeed his hyperactive, hysterical style was fully on display as I’d figured it would be…but we found the subject matter compelling regardless, and basically were entertained with reservations. (Could’ve been a half hour shorter.) Lead actor (too lazy to look up name sorry) did an excellent job capturing E’s physicality.

Tom Hanks as Tom Parker, though…I dunno what he was trying for with that indescribable accent. The Colonel didn’t even talk like that IRL, youtube clips of interviews reveal what sounds like regular native-born American accent. 

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

8 July 2022
8.03pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
23342sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess the point of Parker’s accent was to get across to the audience without any hope of doubt that Parker was not American – can’t have the very bad man being thought of as an American. 

Agree about the film length, was definitely too long with what they did focus on yet even his weight gain was only briefly focused upon. It felt like they had to show Elvis as their idyllic King of Rock and Roll unless absolutely required (pill addiction and cheating on Priscilla). 

The story itself is fascinating tho and you cannot come away without feeling deeply sorry for how Elvis ended up.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

vonbontee, Richard

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 July 2022
3.45am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2126
23343sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Timothy said

I saw the new Elvis movie today. Not completely historically accurate but it’s a pretty good movie. I’d give it 8/10. If you’re a fan of rock and roll I’d recommend it for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I saw it yesterday. Good film but skims over Elvis’s rubbish period (the Beatles appear for literally a second) and all the blame for anything ever bad is put on Colonel Parker. I did feel horrible for how Elvis ended up tho; an empty unhappy desperately lonely pill-popping overweight singing (at times very badly, not that it mattered) blob. 

It also hammered home just how fortunate the Beatles were for there being the four of them going thru it together instead of on their own. I know they talked about such things but still. 

I agree with all you’ve said here. I think it confirmed to me that Elvis’ main era of importance was his initial breakout, and when he joined the army it went downhill, trying to recapture something that had already gone. 

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

Von Bontee

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

9 July 2022
5.25pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5447
23344sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
I guess the point of Parker’s accent was to get across to the audience without any hope of doubt that Parker was not American – can’t have the very bad man being thought of as an American. 

It’s really counterintuitive as far as the narrative goes – like they treat it as a big deal when Elvis *discovers* the Colonel’s Dutch origins: Elvis has been partnering with this guy for 20 years and never noticed the bizarre accent and speech idioms??

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

10 July 2022
10.51am
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 717
23345sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I first got into Beatles fandom infinity seven months ago, I heard a lot of “Paul doesn’t give emotional performances” takes. At first I thought “oh I hadn’t noticed”, then I thought “well, I suppose he does have a sort of self-protectiveness where you know his voice will be ok”, but now I’ve got Golden Slumbers on a loop and I think “those are just bad takes”.

The following people thank meaigs for this post:

Von Bontee

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

-- Jason Carty, Nothing is Real podcast

11 July 2022
10.57pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
23346sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, who are you wanting to be the next British Prime Minister?

12 July 2022
12.00am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
23347sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

None of those who are standing would be a start. After that, none who are currently politicians.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Richard

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 July 2022
2.10am
Richard
North of England
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5268
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
23348sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

None of those who are standing would be a start. After that, none who are currently politicians. 

It’s a great shame, but I’m afraid that seems to me to be a fair assessment of the current picture.

I think some (although not all) of the declared contenders are frankly intellectually unfit for any major governmental office of any kind; and that’s putting it very mildly.

The following people thank Richard for this post:

Ahhh Girl

And in the end

The love you take is equal to the love you make

uk-flag-v-small-3.png

2 August 2022
6.21pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
23349sp_Permalink sp_Print

There’s been a story in the news the past few days about a lady named Helen Skelton.

I can’t help but think Helter Skelter when I see her name.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

vonbontee, Richard, Rube, Neely
3 August 2022
3.48pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5441
23350sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s also close to “Helen Keller”

LOOK OWWT!! HELEN KELLER!

(descending riff)

HELEN KELLER!

(descending riff)

HELEN KELLER!

(descending riff)

YEAHH!! (screeeech)

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Timothy, Rube, Neely

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

4 August 2022
12.20pm
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
23351sp_Permalink sp_Print

The app I use to learn the bass has added Here Comes The Sun and While My Guitar Gently Weeps . I’m thrilled! I don’t know if they added two George songs for copyright reasons, or because he gets the most streams, but I really hope they add more.

I had a moment where I realised I was playing along with an actual Paul bassline and it was weirdly moving.

vonbontee, Richard, Ahhh Girl, Rube

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

5 August 2022
3.18pm
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
23352sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

Rowan Atkinson or John Cleese. 

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

7 August 2022
1.44am
Richard
North of England
Apple rooftop
Members
23353sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

In July 2019, it was announced that Paul McCartney will be writing his first musical, a stage version of It’s a Wonderful Life:

His first stage musical is to be an adaptation of Frank Capra’s 1946 film It’s a Wonderful Life, and will open late in 2020. McCartney will write music and lyrics for the project. Lee Hall, author of Billy Elliot and screenwriter for the recent Elton John biopic Rocketman, is also writing lyrics, and the show’s book.

Last month (July 2022), there was an intriguing statement about new work by Peter Jackson:

“I’m talking to The Beatles about another project, something very, very different than ‘Get Back ‘,” said Jackson in a recent interview. “We’re seeing what the possibilities are, but it’s another project with them. It’s not really a documentary, and that’s all I can really say.”

Does anyone here have any further information / updates about either of these projects, please?

The following people thank Richard for this post:

Rube

And in the end

uk-flag-v-small-3.png

7 August 2022
5.02am
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
23354sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey @Richard I remember he mentioned this in a RS interview for McCartney III Imagined release (dated 3/29/21).

a-hard-days-night-paul-8

RS.com: Have you considered writing songs for other artists again, in the same way you did in the sixties for artists like Mary Hopkin, Billy J. Kramer, and Peter and Gordon?

Paul:The truth is that I have been doing that with two big projects that I have on: with the animation feature film High in the Clouds which is in production, and with the musical It’s A Wonderful Life. I’ve demoed songs for both those projects, but they won’t be sung by me. Maybe they’ll find a way to work in my version in the end credits, or something, but generally it’ll be the characters in the plays and films performing those songs. So, whoever plays George Bailey in It’s A Wonderful Life will sing the songs I’ve written for him.

So, that’s kind of my modern equivalent of writing for Billy J. Kramer or for Peter and Gordon… but it’s morphed into more than that. I’m writing a lot of songs for each project which are all going to be sung by lots of different people. I can’t wait to hear that!

a-hard-days-night-paul-8

I thought maybe Jackson was attached to the High In The Clouds project, but according to the IMDb site he is not involved. They do indicate Lady Gaga is voicing one of the characters.

MV5BM2MwZWI3MTctYTg2Zi00N2QyLWFmMTYtM2UwNzQ4YWZjMzY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3ODU5NTA@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

Richard, Rube

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

10 August 2022
12.28am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
23355sp_Permalink sp_Print

@meaigs, we have competition. The important part starts at 32:46. Up to that point, she’s talking about being a redhead that wears dark mascara. This lady is a trip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/p…..are-mobile

meaigs, Rube
10 August 2022
7.49am
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
23356sp_Permalink sp_Print

British culture is so weird about red hair! She doesn’t seem to have noticed that Paul clearly doesn’t have a problem with red hair ahdn_john_08_gif

Ahhh Girl, meanmistermustard, Richard, Rube, SgtPeppersBulldog

10 August 2022
8.13am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
23357sp_Permalink sp_Print

My jigsaw is coming together now. 
Image Enlarger

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

vonbontee, SgtPeppersBulldog, Rube

7 September 2022
9.51pm
Let It Bleed
On the pavement thinking ‘bout the government
Decca
Members
Forum Posts: 89
23358sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ghost town thread. Wonder why no one posts here anymore.

GET BACK IS HERE!

cool Beatles sites: good ‘ol Alan  nice song-by-song  and of course this place

Tied for most likely to derail a thread 2021 (don’t know how to post images on my sig, mods help)

10 September 2022
1.19am
Richard
North of England
Apple rooftop
Members
23359sp_Permalink sp_Print

Here are two references regarding Revolution as an example of the Beatles ‘breaking the rules’:

According to Geoff Emerick (the studio engineer for that session), he had John Lennon and George Harrison running their guitars directly into the mixing desk. The guitar tone is a result of one channel on the mixing desk being run into another. Both of these channels were driven well beyond their normal operating capacity. Bad news for the desk (it could have overheated and caused permanent damage), good news for guitar tone history!

I knelt down beside the console, turning knobs that I was expressly forbidden from touching because they could literally cause the console to overheat and blow up.

What other songs had the Beatles effectively ‘breaking the rules’ during their recordings?

And in the end

uk-flag-v-small-3.png

13 September 2022
3.14am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
23360sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just watched the the starlink satellites go by. That was so weird! I didn’t know they existed until I saw them tonight and searched for what I just saw.

https://earthsky.org/space/spa…..explained/

This is what it looks like.

960x0.jpgImage Enlarger

Richard, Rube
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690