Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
9 April 2022
1.17pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
23321sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Let It Bleed said

@Von Bontee has very nearly caught up to @vonbontee in posts.

I try not to neglect either account for more than a few days!

(If I’d stuck to one or the other, I’d’ve been on the Apple Rooftop years ago…)

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

sigh butterfly

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

11 April 2022
9.15am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
23322sp_Permalink sp_Print

If a big fly with ugly, bulging eyes lands on your happiness,  what do flick it off with?

11 April 2022
10.17am
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
23323sp_Permalink sp_Print

rhO0XFpJaaAI3xvCAqFQYxEQTOm.jpgImage Enlarger

If there’s a fight,
I’d like to fix it,
I hate to see things go so wrong.
The darkest night,
And all it’s mixed emotions,
Are getting lighter so sing along.
Put it there.

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

meaigs, Ahhh Girl, Rube, SgtPeppersBulldog

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

12 April 2022
11.35am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5445
23324sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
If a big fly with ugly, bulging eyes lands on your happiness,  what do flick it off with?

Yoko has the answer

(NSFW warning; nudity)

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

14 April 2022
9.51am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
23325sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I see that the italics button is working, but is the bold button working? It doesn’t seem to be working in the current Baker’s Dozen round.

EDIT: it worked here. I don’t know why it is wonky in the other thread. Just a hiccup I suppose.

18 April 2022
12.19am
IveJustSeenAFaceo
Arrived Somewhere (But Not Here)
Rishikesh
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 2842
23326sp_Permalink sp_Print

im hungry

The following people thank IveJustSeenAFaceo for this post:

vonbontee, Beatlebug, Necko

(This signature brought to you by Net Boy and Net Girl. Putting messages in modems since 1996.)

18 April 2022
10.52am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
23327sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

IveJustSeenAFaceo said
im hungry

We have a thread to give you ideas of how to take care of that hunger. https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..right-now/ paul-mccartney-thumb_gifa-hard-days-night-george-9

Glad you popped back in to see us, @IveJustSeenAFaceo. What’s going on in your life?

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Rube
18 April 2022
12.21pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
23328sp_Permalink sp_Print

FACEO! It’s been years!

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Beatlebug

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

29 April 2022
8.45pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
23329sp_Permalink sp_Print

vonbontee said

sigh butterfly said

@vonbontee I was wondering if Proctor ever messaged you with his CCR question? An early incarnation of the band (then called the Golliwogs) played at a school dance. I mostly remember them because it was the first band I ever heard jam. I think it was on an early version of You Put A Spell On Me. They probably improvised for 60 seconds but it made quite an impression. They hadn’t picked up on the bayou sound yet and sounded more like Them or the Animals. If I ever dig my yearbook out of storage, I think they published some pictures from the dance. If I recall their look was much more conservative way back then.

Wow!a-hard-days-night-ringo-6Amazing!

I was frequently streaming “Fight Fire 1964-67”, the complete Golliwogs singles, and was impressed with the diversity – they sound like Them one minute, then Brian Wilson/Beach Boys , then rockabilly, then early psychedelia. (One track clearly borrows from “Please Please Me “; Fogerty apparently heard the Beatles the few times they were played on American radio in 1963 and was really impressed, even as he misheard the Bay Area DJ identify them as “The Shields”; before catching them for real on Ed Sullivan) Very cool album, which ends with the Golliwogs final single “Porterville”, which was rereleased under the CCR name as 1967 turned to 68, and is the same one that appeared on their debut. I finished Fogerty’s bio, and yeah they looked more clean-cut earlier, as the book’s photos show.

@vonbontee – this doc looks awesome! Travelin’ Band: Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Royal Albert Hall. beatlemaniacs_02_gif

Documentary In The Works On “America’s Greatest Rock Band” Creedence Clearwater Revival, With Jeff Bridges Narrating

Thu, April 28, 2022, 9:00 AM

Image Enlarger

EXCLUSIVE: Production is underway on a concert documentary about legendary rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival, built around one-of-a-kind performance footage of CCR that sat in a London vault for five decades.

Academy Award-winning actor Jeff Bridges will narrate Travelin’ Band: Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Royal Albert Hall, a production of Craft RecordingsConcord Originals and Marathan FilmsBob Smeaton, the filmmaker behind Grammy-winning documentaries on The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix, is directing the Creedence doc.

“As a kid growing up in the UK during the late ’60s, early ’70s, Creedence were a band that I was only really aware of through their hit singles,” Smeaton said in a statement. “Therefore, making this film was an education for me, I was able to see and hear why they are worthy of their status as one of the greatest bands of all time. I knew they were good, I never knew they were that good.”

. - Credit: Craft Recordings/Concord Originals/Marathan FilmsImage Enlarger

The band, at one point known as The Golliwogs, emerged in the late 1960s, with multi-instrumentalist John Fogerty the primary vocalist and songwriter. Their extraordinary catalog of hits includes “Proud Mary,” “Have You Ever Seen the Rain ,” “Bad Moon Rising,” “Down on the Corner,” “Fortunate Son,” “Born on the Bayou,” “Up Around the Bend,” and “Travelin’ Band.”

The documentary “takes the viewer on a journey from the band’s humble, yet formative years in El Cerrito, CA, to their meteoric rise in 1969, from headlining Woodstock to selling out the Oakland Coliseum before traveling through Europe and taking the stage at the Royal Albert Hall, the most prestigious music venue in the U.K.,” according to a release about the film. “Years of research, discovery and restoration have gone into the project including finding the original [Royal Albert Hall] concert footage in a London vault, which has been fully restored after 50 years of storage.”

In addition, the film will include “previously unreleased 16mm footage of the legendary performance, fly-on-the-wall band interactions and interviews unearthed from the Fantasy Records vault, plus what is believed to be the earliest known footage of Creedence performing.”

Fans of The Big Lebowski will recall The Dude, played by Bridges, is a CCR fan; in the Coen Brothers film, The Dude’s vintage vehicle is stolen, containing a tape deck and Creedence tapes. Bridges is both an actor and musician and a Creedence fan himself.

Jeff Bridges - Credit: MegaImage Enlarger

“What a band! Love listenin’ to ‘em, love playin’ Fogerty’s tunes,” Bridges said. “They’re certainly favorites of mine. Creedence, yeah, man.”

Producers of the documentary are Sig Sigworth (R.E.M. by MTV), Jonathan Clyde (The Beatles: Get Back ), Martin R. Smith (The Beatles: Sgt Pepper ’s Musical Revolution ) and John Beug (Running Down a Dream Tom Petty). Concord’s Scott Pascucci (The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years), Bob Valentine and Concord Original’s Sophia Dilley (Billie) executive produce. Wesley Adams, Charles Hopkins and Taylor Umphenour serve as co-producers.

“Unveiling the power of Creedence at a high point in their career with this long-lost footage is extraordinary in its own right,” Sigworth noted. “To have Jeff Bridges narrate us through that discovery is when pop culture collides into something bigger.”

No projected release date for the film has been announced. Distribution rights are being handled by CAA Media Finance.

The team spearheading the project hail CCR’s hits as “not just as rock staples, but as timeless standards. With so many memorable compositions that continue to grace the radio waves, television and film screens, and lyrics that still resonate today, Creedence Clearwater Revival is, truly, America’s Greatest Rock Band.”

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

vonbontee, Necko

You and I have memories

1 May 2022
12.01am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2144
23330sp_Permalink sp_Print

I watched a Netflix documentary on Jimmy Savile, which mentioned he met the Beatles. Which made me appreciate how the Beatles remain a cherished nostalgic memory in comparison to a demonic predator like Saville. 

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

meaigs, Rube

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

1 May 2022
3.51am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
23331sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sadly they did more than meet Savile, he was a promoter of early gigs outside Liverpool and was associated after he joined the BBC…

sex-offender-1.jpgImage Enlarger

sex-offender-2.jpgImage Enlarger

sex-offender-3.jpgImage Enlarger

sex-offender-4.jpgImage Enlarger

Unfortunately he wasn’t the only sex offender it turned out they worked with, as Max Clifford was an early publicist and Rolf Harris compared live and radio shows with them (including recording a version of Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport with them that will probably never be released officially).

Scum, each and every one, but in a career as big as The Beatles, hard to avoid scum, perverts, paedophiles, rapists, murderers, being among those they crossed paths with, and worked with.

Good to see these people viewed for what they are/were, just a shame their association stains the Beatles career a little.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

1 May 2022
2.18pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
23332sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Like millions of people at the time, the Beatles would have had no idea what Saville and other vile repulsive sex-offenders would have been doing. 

It’s not a story as long as Apple don’t ever use footage or material such as the BBC recording with Harris – which they are thankfully reported to have dumped from ‘Live At The BBC Vol 2′ for that reason.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Timothy, Beatlebug, Rube

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 June 2022
11.19pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
23333sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

sigh butterfly pondered the meaning of life. Meanwhile…
Bakers-Dozen-Brand-Logo-1.jpgImage Enlarger

We’re ready for a new theme (if anyone is so inclined). john-lennon-salute_gif

I did the last one, but here’s a suggestion: Things in Beatle/solo lyrics that might make you want to see a doctor;i.e. Twist And Shout

You and I have memories

7 July 2022
1.44am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
23334sp_Permalink sp_Print

Screenshot_20220706-194217_Chrome.jpgImage Enlarger

blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meaniepaul-mccartney

vonbontee, Rube
7 July 2022
6.56pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
23335sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

utm_source=copy-link

EDIT: AARGH blue-meanie I meant to post this:

utm_source=copy-link

Ahhh Girl, Rube

offtopic-1.png

7 July 2022
7.59pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
23336sp_Permalink sp_Print

I need to think of this while I’m out mowing an acre of grass this evening. “Where footprints never go, he likes it in the snow.” Maybe that imagery will help me stay cooler.

vonbontee, Richard, Rube
7 July 2022
8.07pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
23337sp_Permalink sp_Print

I WAS TALKIN TO AN ESKIMO 

HE WAS HOPIN FOR A FALL OF SNOW

Richard, Ahhh Girl, Rube

offtopic-1.png

8 July 2022
12.26am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
23338sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just in the nick of time, I looked at his hand…

…wait…

The following people thank Necko for this post:

vonbontee, Rube

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

8 July 2022
11.28am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2144
23339sp_Permalink sp_Print

I saw the new Elvis movie today. Not completely historically accurate but it’s a pretty good movie. I’d give it 8/10. If you’re a fan of rock and roll I’d recommend it for obvious reasons.

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

Von Bontee

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

8 July 2022
12.48pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
23340sp_Permalink sp_Print

Timothy said
I saw the new Elvis movie today. Not completely historically accurate but it’s a pretty good movie. I’d give it 8/10. If you’re a fan of rock and roll I’d recommend it for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I saw it yesterday. Good film but skims over Elvis’s rubbish period (the Beatles appear for literally a second) and all the blame for anything ever bad is put on Colonel Parker. I did feel horrible for how Elvis ended up tho; an empty unhappy desperately lonely pill-popping overweight singing (at times very badly, not that it mattered) blob. 

It also hammered home just how fortunate the Beatles were for there being the four of them going thru it together instead of on their own. I know they talked about such things but still. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Von Bontee

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694