Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
27 March 2020
2.55pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22341sp_Permalink sp_Print

Y’all are weird ahdn_george_01

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

27 March 2020
5.26pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
22342sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^^ yeah I wont deny that

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

29 March 2020
10.28am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
22343sp_Permalink sp_Print

Happy pandemic social distancing, have some kitties who accidentally start a flood:

After about 25 minutes, a human comes in to save the day!

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, meanmistermustard, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

29 March 2020
10.51am
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
22344sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^^ beatlemaniacs_02_gifheartheart so cute!!!

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

29 March 2020
1.00pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
22345sp_Permalink sp_Print

The black and white cat on the stairs inquisitively looking on, wondering how to fix it but not having a clue and not wanting to get wet was really cool.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, ewe2

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 March 2020
12.26am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
22346sp_Permalink sp_Print

Some kitties were definitely smarter than others “you did something dumb, I’m staying back HERE”. Meanwhile, if you’re looking for a game to play while you’re self-isolating with friends online, may I suggest Pretend You’re Xyzzy which is an online clone of Cards Against Humanity. A lot of online games are suddenly very popular, the online chess forums are going off! I don’t know about you, but I’m listening to a lot more podcasts than usualjohn-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

30 March 2020
8.56am
Beatlebug

Moderators
22347sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I played a fun game at skribbl.io with my mates (during a video conference call) yesterday, can recommend. The worse you are at drawing, the more fun it is. ahdn_john_08_gif

Getbackintheussr, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

30 March 2020
10.24am
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 767
22348sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not particularly, though that ideology could most likely stem from my religious beliefs. It’s a bit funny to see people freak out over alien conspiracy theories, not going to lie. The mention of aliens doesn’t really annoy me, I’m more or less fine with non-violent ideologies. 

We do a little trolling

- Faul

30 March 2020
12.13pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
22349sp_Permalink sp_Print

Google Draw is fun but it’s single player and it really hurts your hand after a while. Plus it’s very frustrating when you try to draw a fork and it’s actually a very nice looking fork but the stupid ai think’s it’s a toad and you lose.

I wish I could play skribbl.io, some people used to play it in my science class, but I don’t really have anyone to play it with…

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Getbackintheussr, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

30 March 2020
12.43pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
22350sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe we could organize a Bibler game of skribbl.io. All custom words, Beatles references galore! ahdn_john_08_gif

lovelyritametermaid, CakeMaestor, WeepingAtlasCedars, 50yearslate

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

30 March 2020
12.46pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
22351sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
Google Draw is fun but it’s single player and it really hurts your hand after a while. Plus it’s very frustrating when you try to draw a fork and it’s actually a very nice looking fork but the stupid ai think’s it’s a toad and you lose.

I wish I could play skribbl.io, some people used to play it in my science class, but I don’t really have anyone to play it with…

…….there’s always us neil-aspinall

Edit: 

Beatlebug said:

Maybe we could organize a Bibler game of skribbl.io. All custom words, Beatles references galore! ahdn_john_08_gif

I’d be super down for that ahdn_paul_06paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

||She/They ||

30 March 2020
5.34pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
22352sp_Permalink sp_Print

All this talk about jazz in this thread has started to make me want to actually start listening to jazz…..I mean, I’ve dabbled in it many times before and there are a few big band jazz tunes that I really enjoy (I am in a jazz band at my school after all, but I quit for the spring do to mental health reasons and the fact that I didn’t have enough time to practice my trumpet– especially when I’d much rather play my guitar instead….. a-hard-days-night-paul-7 Though I hope to rejoin for my senior year, but not with trumpet. We already have a guitar player lined up to fill in for our current one who’s graduating, but I’m hoping that I could learn bass guitar for the band, after all, I am saving up for one…..but I digress ahdn_paul_02). Being a trumpet player, and thus being one to regularly communicate with other trumpet players, I’ve heard Miles Davis’ name being thrown around and have heard snippets of his songs. My co-trumpeters in the marching and jazz band seem to really enjoy his music, so I might start there……..But what do you guys think? Any jazz suggestions from any of Forumpool’s jazz enthusiasts? a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

QuarryMan

||She/They ||

30 March 2020
10.36pm
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
22353sp_Permalink sp_Print

For beginner jazz listeners, the general rule of thumb is to listen to Miles Davis, since he is arguably one of the more mainstream jazz composers post-swing-wise. Among his records I would recommend either “Kind of Blue” or “Milestones”, which is the forefront of his modal jazz style. Other composers you can listen to (post-swing) also can include John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk and Dave Brubeck, but they all have other less beginner friendly albums I recommend you not listen until you have a solid grasp of jazz as a style for now. As for swing and pre-swing, you can listen to Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and The Hot Five.

From there onwards, just listen to whatever you want to listen to. There’s a lot of weird stuff, a lot of light stuff, a lot of multicultural stuff, the list goes on. 

Personal recommendations (beginners):

1) “Kind of Blue” – Miles Davis (1959)

2) “Blue Train” – John Coltrane (1958)

3) “Straight, No Chaser” – Thelonious Monk (1967)

4) “Jazz Impressions of Japan” – Dave Brubeck (1964)

5) “Milestones” – Miles Davis (1958)

6) “The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings Volume 1/2” 

Personal recommendations (weird stuff you can listen afterwards):

1) “Our Man In Paris” – Dexter Gordon (1963)

2) “The Clown” – Charles Mingus (1957)

3) “The Quintet: Jazz at Massey Hall” (1953)

4) “Jazz in Silhouette” – Sun Ra Arkestra (1959)

5) “Sketches of Spain” – Miles Davis (1960)

6) “Ole Coltrane” – John Coltrane (1962)

The following people thank CakeMaestor for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Jules, Von Bontee, QuarryMan

We do a little trolling

- Faul

30 March 2020
10.42pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
22354sp_Permalink sp_Print

[We interrupt the Jazzcast for this important message]
Just for @The Hole Got Fixed @trcanberra @Timothy and @Elementary Penguin: An Aussie’s guide to the coronavirus

[Carry on with your regularly scheduled derailment]

lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, Timothy, Von Bontee, Elementary Penguin, ewe2

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

30 March 2020
11.43pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
22355sp_Permalink sp_Print

And that, my worldwide friends, is how Aussies pass the time in iso.john-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, ewe2

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

31 March 2020
6.39am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690
22356sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

CakeMaestor said
1) “Kind of Blue” – Miles Davis (1959)

2) “Blue Train” – John Coltrane (1958)

3) “Straight, No Chaser” – Thelonious Monk (1967)

4) “Jazz Impressions of Japan” – Dave Brubeck (1964)

5) “Milestones” – Miles Davis (1958)

6) “The Complete Hot Five and Hot Seven Recordings Volume 1/2” 

Personal recommendations (weird stuff you can listen afterwards):

1) “Our Man In Paris” – Dexter Gordon (1963)

2) “The Clown” – Charles Mingus (1957)

3) “The Quintet: Jazz at Massey Hall” (1953)

4) “Jazz in Silhouette” – Sun Ra Arkestra (1959)

5) “Sketches of Spain” – Miles Davis (1960)

6) “Ole Coltrane” – John Coltrane (1962)

Duuuuude just last week I discovered The Clown and it’s fantastic!!! I like it better than The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (which is definitely one of my favourite jazz records, so I’m really saying something). To whoever that likes jazz, please listen to The Clown, it’s so goddamn underrated. There are some records on that list I haven’t listen to and I’ll give them a look, I still haven’t heard Blue Train.

@lovelyritametermaid If I can reenforce any other album from that list it would be Kind of Blue and Olé Coltrane (I know I’ve said Coltrane is not really my thing, but the track Olé is an excellent composition tbh).

If you like the kind of angry jazz that scores a film like The Incredibles, you have to listen to bassist Charles Mingus: particularly The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady and Let My Children Hear Music (and The Clown, of course). Others would recommend Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus and Mingus Ah Um, which are not particularly my favourites, but I’ll recommend them given they seem to appeal to a majority of jazz fans.

Be sure to listen to some Coltrane. I’m not a fan but he’s very influential. A Love Supreme is said to be one of the all-time jazz masterpieces.

Also, be sure to check out Time Out by pianist Dave Brubeck, I know it’s kind of a children jazz music album, but some compositions on there are off the charts and you’ll recognize a lot of the songs in there from movies and TV shows, given it’s a very popular set of songs already. Also, that album has a lot of alternate time signatures which are really fun. I’ve been trying to play Blue Rondo à la Turk on piano for the last couple of weeks and it’s fun as hell! That record is a classic entry level jazz album. It’s very simple and very good at the same time.

My favourite sub-genre of jazz is jazz fusion, so this are electric jazz albums. The first one would be In a Silent Way which is probably the first fusion album ever made. I love those albums that are just two or three tracks. They usually turn out to be the most interesting. Anything by Miles is great. Bitches Brew is considered to be just as good as In a Silent Way. I’d recommend Pharaoh’s Dance and Spanish Key from that album. But In a Silent Way is waaaaay more accesible and shorter, and it fuses a lot with rock motives. If you are put off by Bitches Brew, relax, it’s a complicated album to begin with, revisit it once in a while.

And another fusion album I can’t live without is Head Hunters, by keyboardist Herbie Hancock, the first track alone will blow your head off. If you like that, then also try Secrets (I’ll highlight the song Gentle Thoughts).

And I can’t help but recommend Weather Report, which is one of my favourite jazz groups, and probably some of the most influential fusion composers of their era. By this point it may not even be considered jazz anymore but you have to listen to this. Particularly tracks like Black Market, one of my favourite songs ever, and Birdland, and whatever the albums those songs are in. Pianist/keyboardist Joe Zawinul made the band; I’m partially a fusion keyboardist, so I naturally idolize Zawinul. He actually played keyboards on In a Silent Way and Bitches Brew as well.

Which brings me to my last recommendation, which is my favourite live jazz album, called Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! Live at “The Club” by saxophone player Cannonball Adderley, who was also in Kind of Blue. It’s just fantastic, and the public’s enthusiasm is really felt. It has one of my favourite soul compositions: Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, which is considered soul more than jazz but give it a try. If you don’t have time to listen to the entire album, which is excellent, at least be sure to check out that track, maybe you’ve heard it already, it’s pretty well known, and was also composed by Joe Zawinul.

I’m not as well instructed in jazz as many people are, but you can’t got wrong with any of these artists. These are not weird avant-garde records, this are just complex enough to analyze but you can chill to them, I hear them regularly. Except for Bitches Brew, that one might require a little of effort.

And also I’ll give you a recommendation as to how to listen to these albums: jazz records tend to be the most overloaded with time. What I mean is mostly in streaming apps and YouTube the albums always have bonus tracks and longer versions so the albums end up as long as two or three hours of material. So before you listen to any jazz album just look either on Wikipedia or RYM for the official tracklisting and just listen to those to not get very bloated, unless you really want to experience those bonus tracks in which case, do that! Good luck!

The following people thank Jules for this post:

CakeMaestor, lovelyritametermaid, Von Bontee

the watusi

the twist

31 March 2020
7.57am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2143
22357sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
[We interrupt the Jazzcast for this important message]

Just for @The Hole Got Fixed @trcanberra @Timothy and @Elementary Penguin: An Aussie’s guide to the coronavirus

[Carry on with your regularly scheduled derailment]

Thanks for the alert! 

Did I say I’m not shaving while working from home? I’ll look like bed in for peace John when this is all over.a-hard-days-night-john-6

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

Beatlebug

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

31 March 2020
9.21am
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
22358sp_Permalink sp_Print

How’s Australia dealing with the virus? I’m rather curious to know.

We do a little trolling

- Faul

31 March 2020
4.04pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
22359sp_Permalink sp_Print

@CakeMaestor Our PM is hopeless at the best of times, and he is really struggling right now. He keeps sending mixed messages ‘you’re only allowed dowm the street for essential shopping, exercise, or to get a jigsaw puzzle’ which doesn’t help so the states and territories are taking matters into their own hands. Thanks to that, in the last 2 days the curve has flattened just slightly, so that’s good.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Timothy, CakeMaestor, Elementary Penguin, ewe2

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

31 March 2020
4.45pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
22360sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said

All this talk about jazz in this thread has started to make me want to actually start listening to jazz…..I mean, I’ve dabbled in it many times before and there are a few big band jazz tunes that I really enjoy (I am in a jazz band at my school after all, but I quit for the spring do to mental health reasons and the fact that I didn’t have enough time to practice my trumpet– especially when I’d much rather play my guitar instead….. a-hard-days-night-paul-7 Though I hope to rejoin for my senior year, but not with trumpet. We already have a guitar player lined up to fill in for our current one who’s graduating, but I’m hoping that I could learn bass guitar for the band, after all, I am saving up for one…..but I digress ahdn_paul_02). Being a trumpet player, and thus being one to regularly communicate with other trumpet players, I’ve heard Miles Davis’ name being thrown around and have heard snippets of his songs. My co-trumpeters in the marching and jazz band seem to really enjoy his music, so I might start there……..But what do you guys think? Any jazz suggestions from any of Forumpool’s jazz enthusiasts? a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

@QuarryMan is the man you’re looking for

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

QuarryMan

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694