Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
18 February 2020
1.21pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
22141sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@sigh butterfly you can find them on his YouTube channel, vonbontee

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

vonbontee, sigh butterfly

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

18 February 2020
2.20pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
22142sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

sigh butterfly said
Hey @vonbontee john-lennon-salute_gif Could I bother you for a sec? I’m currently digitizing 40 years worth of family film and video tape. I plan to put together different little movies organized around a theme with music playing in the background. I thought you had posted something like that on the forum (maybe vacation videos from your childhood), but I can’t find it. Just looking for ideas. Am I dreaming or does this really exist? a-hard-days-night-paul-7

Not a bother at all, and not a dream (possibly)! My video to “Birthday ” was made up of footage of my niece’s 7th birthday, and I posted it here shortly after I made it in 2016. Youtube has long since disabled the audio, and any attempt to re-upload gets blocked immediately, but just send me your email address in a PM and I can figure out how to transmit you the Windows Media file.

Sounds like you have quite a little project on your hands! Time-consuming but enjoyable and a service to your family…apple01

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl, lovelyritametermaid, sigh butterfly

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

18 February 2020
10.11pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
22143sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks VB, I appreciate it! It is an especially daunting task because of all the different cameras and mediums I’ve used through the years. I even have some super 8mm film. The last 5 or 6 years my daughter has been flying her drone over our family get togethers, so those shots really add a cool dramatic element.   Anyway, I’ll Get You my info and we can see if gmail will accept your attachment.

The following people thank sigh butterfly for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Von Bontee

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

20 February 2020
11.36am
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
22144sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks @Von Bontee it worked! I’m happy to report that my memory is still somewhat intact. I recalled that you had weaved a thread of Americana throughout your videos (in a completely natural and unobtrusive way) and I want to do the same. I think it is awesome that we have all collectively over the last 200+ years built a country of family traditions that we all recognize and share from sea to shining sea. Sorry for being so cliche, but I felt that reference is appropriate here. I appreciate the inspiration and now back to the conversion/normalization tasks.

Beatlebug, vonbontee

You and I have memories

20 February 2020
2.06pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238
22145sp_Permalink sp_Print

VB is Canadian. I can’t recall the Americana he included in his videos.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

vonbontee, sigh butterfly, WeepingAtlasCedars
20 February 2020
4.57pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
22146sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

sigh butterfly said
Thanks @Von Bontee it worked! I’m happy to report that my memory is still somewhat intact. I recalled that you had weaved a thread of Americana throughout your videos (in a completely natural and unobtrusive way) and I want to do the same. I think it is awesome that we have all collectively over the last 200+ years built a country of family traditions that we all recognize and share from sea to shining sea. Sorry for being so cliche, but I felt that reference is appropriate here. I appreciate the inspiration and now back to the conversion/normalization tasks.

Thanks for the praise, sigh butterfly! heart…but much of what you call Americana is actually “Canadiana” (if such a thing exists) Still, “Birthday ” does include several photos taken in Michigan (both peninsulas), so that kinda counts, maybe. I live in Southwestern Ontario, my sister lives in the northern part, and the shortest route between them is right through the U.S.

What part of the country are you from?

(Edit: near the San Francisco bay area, presumably; I should read avatars more)

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

sigh butterfly, WeepingAtlasCedars

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

20 February 2020
6.23pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
22147sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi VB, sorry for the poor choice of words (at least we share the same sea to shining sea). When I’m in Canada I don’t feel like I’m in a different country (except for all the bears a-hard-days-night-george-9). What I was referring to is how we celebrate birthdays, bake chocolate chip cookies, play board games, learn to ride our bike on the street in front of our house, enjoy a drink with family, make car travel part of our vacations, go to the lake in the summer, treat our pets as family, sit around a campfire and have a laugh, and other traditions like that. I like how you incorporated media from the entire day to tell the story. I plan to start taking reference notes as I’m performing the digital conversions, so I can start organizing supporting pictures and mementos. I suppose no one will object if I even occasionally add media from other sources (like an airplane landing or a map). I believe you also added a special effect a la Harry Potter…

main-qimg-79e8dde4182e87992d22c97596dff5e7-1.gifImage Enlarger

vonbontee, Beatlebug, ewe2

You and I have memories

20 February 2020
6.39pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
22148sp_Permalink sp_Print

And to totally derail the derail thread…

^That post made me think… what traditions are ‘quintessentially’ a certain place? Because as an Australian, in that list, I personally can’t relate to just one of those items (sitting around a campfire), though I know multiple friends who do…

I know it wasn’t the intention of that post at all, but I know what I’m going to be doing for the next little while… seeing how many international customs aren’t confined to their country of association!a-hard-days-night-george-4a-hard-days-night-george-4

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

sigh butterfly, ewe2, WeepingAtlasCedars

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

20 February 2020
8.09pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
22149sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s all good SG, we cool. Yay for North America! And, uh, earth. I understood what you meant. 

And yes, there were optical effects used on photos taken by the kid herself…john-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

sigh butterfly

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

20 February 2020
9.13pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
22150sp_Permalink sp_Print

(The following are all my anecdotal observations and not to be taken as exhaustive, offensive, or impervious to critique)

Canada and the US are very culturally similar, being first-world Western countries on the same continent speaking mostly the same language. The differences are primarily superficial (cultural icons), geographic/climatic, and GUNS. a-hard-days-night-george-4

Britain overall is a little more distinct, because it’s Ye Olde Countrye and a whole ocean away; Australia is some place between them but with weird geography and climate. New Zealand also exists a-hard-days-night-john-6 probably similar to Australia (I don’t know as much about NZ, alas).

I think the nations of the English-speaking world are kind of like a family of siblings that all look very similar, but you can easily tell them apart if you spend a bit of time with them because they do look subtly different, and they have subtly different souls.

The Hole Got Fixed, sigh butterfly, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

20 February 2020
10.52pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
22151sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said
And to totally derail the derail thread…

^That post made me think… what traditions are ‘quintessentially’ a certain place? Because as an Australian, in that list, I personally can’t relate to just one of those items (sitting around a campfire), though I know multiple friends who do…

I know it wasn’t the intention of that post at all, but I know what I’m going to be doing for the next little while… seeing how many international customs aren’t confined to their country of association!a-hard-days-night-george-4a-hard-days-night-george-4

Thanks Holey, the thought of our shared traditions makes me happy! It would be interesting to hear about other customs that are geographically specific. a-hard-days-night-george-4a-hard-days-night-george-4

You and I have memories

21 February 2020
5.28am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
22152sp_Permalink sp_Print

As it turned out I did find a more customs than I thought I would that aren’t as common around here – but plenty of others that are found in Aus, such as pub crawls, and a cuppa tea.

It does make me feel quite pleased to know that someone halfway across the world, who also loves the Beatles, also does lots of traditions that I do too – it’s one of those warm and fuzzy feelingsa-hard-days-night-george-9

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, sigh butterfly, vonbontee, ewe2, WeepingAtlasCedars

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

21 February 2020
11.36am
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
22153sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
(The following are all my anecdotal observations and not to be taken as exhaustive, offensive, or impervious to critique)

Canada and the US are very culturally similar, being first-world Western countries on the same continent speaking mostly the same language. The differences are primarily superficial (cultural icons), geographic/climatic, and GUNS. a-hard-days-night-george-4

Britain overall is a little more distinct, because it’s Ye Olde Countrye and a whole ocean away; Australia is some place between them but with weird geography and climate. New Zealand also exists a-hard-days-night-john-6 probably similar to Australia (I don’t know as much about NZ, alas).

I think the nations of the English-speaking world are kind of like a family of siblings that all look very similar, but you can easily tell them apart if you spend a bit of time with them because they do look subtly different, and they have subtly different souls.

Nice post Beatlebug. Your writing style reminds me of my favorite teacher in high school. She always phrased her lessons in a way that actually made you think. 

Beatlebug

You and I have memories

21 February 2020
12.33pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
22154sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

I’ve thought of a few family traditions that I believe are unique to California (and maybe the US). One of those traditions is the first trip to Disneyland. The first time I visited there was for my 2 year old birthday a few months after the park opened. We went back every year until my grandmother left LA after my grandfather passed away. Since then it has become a family tradition to celebrate every new child’s birthday in Disneyland at least once. The age isn’t always the same, but certainly by 5 years old. Don’t get me wrong, Disneyland is not for the faint-hearted. It can be a total mess of humanity. But you have been there enough the wave of nostalgia as you enter the park and walk down Main Street is overwhelming. When you add the thrill of accompanying a new member of the family who is seeing it the first time, the bad parts just melt away. Last time we were there on Main Street my little niece Jane squealed and we looked up to see Mickey, Minnie, Donald, and Pluto marching toward us accompanied by a little boy (I think it was a Make a Wish event). Things like that add to our oral traditions each year. We have certain activities we always do and places we eat or go. For instance there is a certain curb that we like to sit on to watch the daily parade of Disney floats. We have sat there for every birthday since 1975 (over 40 years). Sometimes we need to aggressively reserve that space for 2 hours prior to the parade, but it is important that the birthday boy or girl sits in the prime spot with their legs dangling over the curb. My tradition of the last 20 years is to hang out with the birthday kid in front of the castle by the moat right around sunset, while all the other family members are in line for rides. I hope to convey what I am feeling at that moment, remembering family past. Depending on the kid that could mean feeding the ducks, playing pirates on the ramparts, or holding their balloon while they eat an ice cream. One time my granddaughter’s mouse ears fell in the moat and she cried her eyes out. An employee actually helped us fish them out and she still has them in her room today. Our newest family member is almost 3 and plans are in the making!

il_1588xN.1648778273_hygm-4.jpg

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, 50yearslate, The Hole Got Fixed, vonbontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

You and I have memories

21 February 2020
12.50pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
22155sp_Permalink sp_Print

sigh butterfly said

Nice post Beatlebug. Your writing style reminds me of my favorite teacher in high school. She always phrased her lessons in a way that actually made you think.   

Awww thank you so much, @sigh butterfly. That means a lot to me. a-hard-days-night-george-9heart

sigh butterfly said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

I’ve thought of a few family traditions that I believe are unique to California (and maybe the US). One of those traditions is the first trip to Disneyland. [snippety snip snip]  

Lovely post. I was recently in Walt Disney World and so I can relate to much of what you describe, although of course WDW is different and a lot bigger (RIP my feet), but the magic/nostalgia value is the same. We saw a lot of people from other parts of the world, including some huge quinceañera groups. It’s interesting how Central/South American traditions, such as going to Disney World for your quinceañera, merges with more local family traditions and Stateside trippers.

sigh butterfly, Von Bontee

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

21 February 2020
2.08pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
22156sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m going after my exams to Liverpool and Manchester to go see some shows. One day in Liverpool, two in Manchester.

Going to the Empire to see the Buddy Holly story which ticks off a Beatles’ concert spot and then onto Manchester for Back to the Future (which is the reason I’m going in the first place, omigod BTTF) and see the touring show of Les Mis because why not, you can never have enough LM in your life. I also get to see Dean Chisnall AGAIN and the poor man must think I’m stalking him because I’ve seen every show he’s ever toured in (not deliberately). He’s a lovely fella though 10/10.

There’s a photo expedition of Linda’s Liverpool and Wirral-focused photography on at the same time as I’m there so I’ll swing by and enjoy lovely Linda’s work. 

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, sigh butterfly, Von Bontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

21 February 2020
2.15pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
22157sp_Permalink sp_Print

You get the same parade spot every single time???? I’m very impressed. As impatient people who aren’t willing to reserve a spot for hours, my family usually finds a spot on that little path by the Tinker Bell forest thingy over by Buzz. It’s a terrible view, which is why we always manage to get a spot there, but we don’t really have to wait. A lot of the time we just skip the parade since all the rides are considerably less crowded during it. That sounds like such a wonderful tradition though a-hard-days-night-george-9

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Beatlebug, sigh butterfly, lovelyritametermaid

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

21 February 2020
5.18pm
sigh butterfly
Rishikesh
Members
22158sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

@50yearslate – yup always the same spot but only if we are celebrating a kid’s birthday. The current “child bearing age” generation is not very prolific (at least in our family). The last birthday we celebrated was over 6 years ago. We go down there every two years or so and like you said, when the parade is going it’s a good time to do other things.

We found the spot we like quite by accident. It was a hot summer day and my mom was exhausted and my daughter was heat stroked. They parked it under a tree and we agreed to meet up for the parade. When we got back she was sitting on the curb with the stroller next to her. The spot is at the initial turn on to main street, so the parade has to slow down a little there. This was when they had the first Electrical Parade and the part I remember is the little lady bug cars. One of them pulled right up to my daughter, then backed away, then pulled up again. He did this until my daughters giggle turned into full throated laughter. That’s why we always go to the trouble of getting that spot. Here is the strategy; two hours prior to the start one person sits at the spot and lays out coats and bags on both sides. This is usually respected for the first hour or so and people walk around you. Around one hour a half out people start to fill in around the stuff you have laid out, which forces people to step over your blockade items. By the last hour people will just start pushing your stuff aside, so you need at least 3 people to defend the space, one on each end and the initial person in the middle. Family members need to be in place by the last half hour before they rope off the streets, because by now there are 5 rows of people standing behind your position and access will be blocked. I know this must sound insane and I wouldn’t do it for any other reason than upholding our family traditions. 

dep_alice-1.jpgImage Enlarger

Beatlebug, 50yearslate, Von Bontee

You and I have memories

22 February 2020
9.30am
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157
22159sp_Permalink sp_Print

Request for someone to revive the Caption It thread. Can’t think of anything for Jenna’s pic and it’s about time! ahdn_ringo_09

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Beatlebug

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

23 February 2020
2.34am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
22160sp_Permalink sp_Print

Screenshot_2020-02-23_19-11-09.pngImage Enlarger

No one knows you’re a penguin posting on the internet stuart-sutcliffe

My family doesn’t have much tradition because we’re so nuclear we span several states and never see each other a-hard-days-night-paul-10But the other day I was talking to my aunt on the phone and discovered that my mum used to make some of the fantastic food I remember from family christmas dinners, so that’s a good memory.

But in terms of culture I’m reminded of our shared English-language heritage by the famous trap-bath split. This is a division in the pronunciation of the vowel a for specific words that started happening in the late 18th century in southern England. A Northerner will pronounce trap and bath the same way with a flat short a. A Southerner will pronounce bath with a elongated a like ah. This split made its way around the world and can be dated to emigration and colonisation. It mostly doesn’t affect the US/Canada because they were settled too early for the split but it’s very real in Australia and New Zealand. In fact here, you can almost tell what state or capital city a person is from by the way they adhere to the trap-bath split.

Go and watch something English on youtube and see if you can pick the Northerners and Southerners, it’s fun. I like watching Andertons guitar demos, and Lee Anderton (the owner) is definitely a Southerner, and Rabea (one of the demonstrators and a brilliant musician in his own right) is clearly a Northerner. Danish Pete is from Denmark and his a’s do not count for the purposes of this discussion so ignore him, even though he is funny and also brilliant.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, Von Bontee, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Into the Sky with Diamonds, Timothy
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page: Timothy
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694