Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
8 November 2019
7.03pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21941sp_Permalink sp_Print

@meanmistermustard, what do you think about sugar-free Irn-Bru? Do you think you will like the 1901 Irn-Bru they are putting out in December?

9 November 2019
6.01pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
21942sp_Permalink sp_Print

30 years ago tonight, at roughly this time, because someone misspoke, the Berlin Wall fell and set off a chain of events that would – for good or ill – demolish the world that I, and many others here, grew up in.

We watched growing protests in Soviet Block countries but didn’t expect any major change. Watching from afar, we were waiting for the crackdown. We feared another Tiananmen Square. East German leaders decided to ease travel restrictions to West Berlin to try and ease the growing pressure in East Germany. They would put in place easier travel rules once they’d worked them out.

They sent out a spokesman to hold a press conference, to tell the East German people that travel rules would be relaxed. He spoke about how travel restrictions between East (the centre of the protests) and West Berlin were to be relaxed, and he said “unverziiglich”.

He meant that the East German government would start to put in place new rules as soon as possible, but “unverziiglich” means straight away, and East Berliners started flooding toward the wall, its border posts into the West, including the infamous Checkpoint Charlie, expecting to find them open. And the East German Government decided the only way to hold them back would be gunfire, and they were not prepared to do that.

Among those that crossed the Border from East to West that night was Angela Merkel, who would go on to dominate the politics of a reunified Germany.

Over the next few months we watched, jaws dropped, as – sometimes peacefully, such as in Poland, and sometimes in appalling bloodshed, as in Yugoslavia – the Soviet Block countries broke free of their Communist and Moscow rule.

Though the ramifications went on far longer, the bookend to the Berlin Wall falling on 9 November 1989 was Nelson Mandela walking free from Victor Vester Prison on 11 February 1990, signalling the beginning of the end of apartheid in South Africa.

I still find it remarkable looking back at those months, watching things change we believed would never change, were writ in stone.

Not all that followed has been good but it was something to watch the last occupied countries of World War II get their independence back…

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Von Bontee, The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, QuarryMan, Getbackintheussr, Turn Left At Greenland, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

12 November 2019
1.54pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
21943sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
@meanmistermustard, what do you think about sugar-free Irn-Bru? Do you think you will like the 1901 Irn-Bru they are putting out in December?

Never heard of it. Will give it a try but fiery Irn-Bru was undrinkable. 

It looks beautiful.

Irn-Bru 1901Image Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 November 2019
3.23pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
21944sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

Never heard of it. Will give it a try but fiery Irn-Bru was undrinkable. 

It looks beautiful.

Irn-Bru 1901

Image Enlarger

@meanmistermustard , let us know what you think of it when you try it.

12 November 2019
3.39pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
21945sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve finally gotten my unread posts down to 0 (with some help from the ‘Mark all read’ button a-hard-days-night-ringo-12) after about two months of meaning to do so. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

15 November 2019
6.03am
Getbackintheussr
The Void
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1349
21946sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

I found this really fascinating.

The following people thank Getbackintheussr for this post:

vonbontee, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

P E A C E  &  L O V E

Sunglasses-Emoji-PNG-Transparent-Background.pngstar-emoji-by-google.png1f549.png1f98f.pngbroccoli_1f966.pngdrum-with-drumsticks_1f941.pngmultiple-musical-notes_1f3b6.pngkisspng-emojipedia-whatsapp-peace-symbols-text-messaging-5af2ba93ab48a4.1265377915258569157016.jpgSparkling_Pink_Heart_Emoji_large.pngOctopus_Emoji_large.png262e.png

Without going out of my door, I can know all things on Earth...

~Signature.png~

18 November 2019
1.39am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
21947sp_Permalink sp_Print

Getbackintheussr said
I found this really fascinating. 

I saw that too, the sources for the style surprised me; I had assumed they were taking their cue from later movements that treated the same material (the art nouveau) in their own ways, but they had gone to the source.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Von Bontee

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

24 November 2019
3.49am
Turn Left At Greenland
Writing home every day
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 192
21948sp_Permalink sp_Print

Story time: The reason I decided to join this forum was actually because of this thread–the concept (or rather lack thereof) just hit me in a certain way. It reminded me of this time years ago when I was on a search to discover the origin of the name of the Yes song Siberian Khatru (it turns out it’s a made-up word), and ended up going down one of the most fascinating and wholesome internet rabbit holes ever: an old Google forum dating back to like 2002 or something (truly ancient by my standards), and then continuing on for at least another ten years, entirely made up of invented etymologies and explanations for the song’s name. I don’t know why, but there’s something about those kinds of threads that just makes me smile.

Ron Nasty said
30 years ago tonight, at roughly this time, because someone misspoke, the Berlin Wall fell and set off a chain of events that would – for good or ill – demolish the world that I, and many others here, grew up in.

We watched growing protests in Soviet Block countries but didn’t expect any major change. Watching from afar, we were waiting for the crackdown. We feared another Tiananmen Square. East German leaders decided to ease travel restrictions to West Berlin to try and ease the growing pressure in East Germany. They would put in place easier travel rules once they’d worked them out.

They sent out a spokesman to hold a press conference, to tell the East German people that travel rules would be relaxed. He spoke about how travel restrictions between East (the centre of the protests) and West Berlin were to be relaxed, and he said “unverziiglich”.

He meant that the East German government would start to put in place new rules as soon as possible, but “unverziiglich” means straight away, and East Berliners started flooding toward the wall, its border posts into the West, including the infamous Checkpoint Charlie, expecting to find them open. And the East German Government decided the only way to hold them back would be gunfire, and they were not prepared to do that.

Among those that crossed the Border from East to West that night was Angela Merkel, who would go on to dominate the politics of a reunified Germany.

Over the next few months we watched, jaws dropped, as – sometimes peacefully, such as in Poland, and sometimes in appalling bloodshed, as in Yugoslavia – the Soviet Block countries broke free of their Communist and Moscow rule.

Though the ramifications went on far longer, the bookend to the Berlin Wall falling on 9 November 1989 was Nelson Mandela walking free from Victor Vester Prison on 11 February 1990, signalling the beginning of the end of apartheid in South Africa.

I still find it remarkable looking back at those months, watching things change we believed would never change, were writ in stone.

Not all that followed has been good but it was something to watch the last occupied countries of World War II get their independence back…

I’ve been fascinated by history all my life, and reading about the Berlin Wall and watching the news reports of the time really made an impression on me, for lack of a better phrase. I just discovered “WWII in Color” on Netflix, and it definitely appeals to my endless curiosity about not just what happened, but what it was like to be there while it was happening. And between impeachment hearings here in America and protests in Hong Kong and a million other things, I definitely get the feeling that I’m living in the midst of history right now. Scary, for sure, but it’s sure as hell exciting. 

The following people thank Turn Left At Greenland for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, SgtPeppersBulldog, QuarryMan, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl, Ron Nasty, WeepingAtlasCedars

"And life flows on within you and without you"

"I guess I just wasn't made for these times"

24 November 2019
10.28am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
21949sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8Until the last few months, I’d always felt like the things I was seeing on the news was just business as usual, but now it’s different somehow… Hard to describe. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Turn Left At Greenland

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

24 November 2019
10.51am
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
21950sp_Permalink sp_Print

Turn Left At Greenland said
Story time: The reason I decided to join this forum was actually because of this thread–the concept (or rather lack thereof) just hit me in a certain way. It reminded me of this time years ago when I was on a search to discover the origin of the name of the Yes song Siberian Khatru (it turns out it’s a made-up word), and ended up going down one of the most fascinating and wholesome internet rabbit holes ever: an old Google forum dating back to like 2002 or something (truly ancient by my standards), and then continuing on for at least another ten years, entirely made up of invented etymologies and explanations for the song’s name. I don’t know why, but there’s something about those kinds of threads that just makes me smile.

Ron Nasty said

I’ve been fascinated by history all my life, and reading about the Berlin Wall and watching the news reports of the time really made an impression on me, for lack of a better phrase. I just discovered “WWII in Color” on Netflix, and it definitely appeals to my endless curiosity about not just what happened, but what it was like to be there while it was happening. And between impeachment hearings here in America and protests in Hong Kong and a million other things, I definitely get the feeling that I’m living in the midst of history right now. Scary, for sure, but it’s sure as hell exciting. 

My brother watches that. 

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

5 December 2019
6.30pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
21951sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said 26 October
Hadn’t noticed that, Holey. Thanks for pointing it out.

Here’s an updated Top Posters list:

meanmistermustard: 22282

Ahhh Girl: 18454

Starr Shine?: 15584

Beatlebug: 15325

Ron Nasty: 9810

Zig: 9807

The Bontees: 8108

Necko: 7856

50yearslate: 7587

parlance: 7111

And bubbling under:

The Hole Got Fixed: 7003

AppleScruffJunior: 6404

mr. Sun king coming together: 6403

Mr. Kite: 6147

trcanberra: 6063

Joe: 5063

mithveaen: 4621

Well I just noticed that there’s been a change in the top 10…

meanmistermustard: 22306
Ahhh Girl: 18571
Starr Shine?: 15598
Beatlebug: 15500
Ron Nasty: 9897
Zig: 9807
The Bontees: 8212
Necko: 7858
50yearslate: 7807
The Hole Got Fixed: 7114

And bubbling under:

AppleScruffJunior: 6468
mr. Sun king coming together: 6403
trcanberra: 6063
Joe: 5071
mithveaen: 4621

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Beatlebug, Von Bontee, SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

5 December 2019
10.40pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
21952sp_Permalink sp_Print

Since she’s dropped out of the top ten, I’ll pour one out for parlance – one of the great Forumpudlians, and now an award-winning filmmaker with an IMDb page 

https://m.imdb.com/name/nm0255086/

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

5 December 2019
11.36pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
21953sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s amazing!!

I feel kinda bad kicking her out of the top 10, but it was always going to happen…

Long live @parlance !

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Von Bontee, Beatlebug, SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

6 December 2019
12.14am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
21954sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said
That’s amazing!!

I feel kinda bad kicking her out of the top 10, but it was always going to happen…

Long live @parlance !

In case you never saw the video she made for Paul McC’s “Appreciate”…

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..fan-video/

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

6 December 2019
10.32am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
21955sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ohhh Boy and I had a nice time hanging out with her one night in L.A. Hopefully she will stop by the forum sometime soon.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

vonbontee, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars
6 December 2019
11.25am
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
21956sp_Permalink sp_Print

She popped in once (twice?) this year, and I missed her. 🙁 

I suppose she’s busy with her career and projects (including her ace-awareness group, BeBu!)

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

6 December 2019
1.23pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
21957sp_Permalink sp_Print

I love parlance, solid lass. Always good for the bants. 

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

6 December 2019
5.26pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
21958sp_Permalink sp_Print

…anyways: Congratulations, THGF!

john-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

6 December 2019
11.35pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
21959sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Got my days wrong and ended up alone in a room with my boss and the President of Ireland while I was on ketamine.

Funniest thing I’ve read in ages. Had me in tears of laughter. Well worth a few minutes of anyone’s time. Social media at its best…

ahdn_john_08_gifahdn_john_08_gifpaul-mccartney-thumb_gifpaul-mccartney-thumb_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifheartheart

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug, ewe2, QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 December 2019
2.08am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
21960sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah yes the story with Mary McAleese, iconic. I’ve never met her* but I know her husband, he’s nice.

*Fun fact: Our current president, the one who looks like a hobbit, fancied my auntie when he was working as a lecturer in the university in Galway. He asked her to a dance, she turned him down- what could have been….

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug, ewe2, WeepingAtlasCedars

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694