Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
8 November 2019
7.03pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 18535
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21941sp_Permalink sp_Print

@meanmistermustard, what do you think about sugar-free Irn-Bru? Do you think you will like the 1901 Irn-Bru they are putting out in December?

9 November 2019
6.01pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9871
21942sp_Permalink sp_Print

30 years ago tonight, at roughly this time, because someone misspoke, the Berlin Wall fell and set off a chain of events that would - for good or ill - demolish the world that I, and many others here, grew up in.

We watched growing protests in Soviet Block countries but didn't expect any major change. Watching from afar, we were waiting for the crackdown. We feared another Tiananmen Square. East German leaders decided to ease travel restrictions to West Berlin to try and ease the growing pressure in East Germany. They would put in place easier travel rules once they'd worked them out.

They sent out a spokesman to hold a press conference, to tell the East German people that travel rules would be relaxed. He spoke about how travel restrictions between East (the centre of the protests) and West Berlin were to be relaxed, and he said "unverziiglich".

He meant that the East German government would start to put in place new rules as soon as possible, but "unverziiglich" means straight away, and East Berliners started flooding toward the wall, its border posts into the West, including the infamous Checkpoint Charlie, expecting to find them open. And the East German Government decided the only way to hold them back would be gunfire, and they were not prepared to do that.

Among those that crossed the Border from East to West that night was Angela Merkel, who would go on to dominate the politics of a reunified Germany.

Over the next few months we watched, jaws dropped, as - sometimes peacefully, such as in Poland, and sometimes in appalling bloodshed, as in Yugoslavia - the Soviet Block countries broke free of their Communist and Moscow rule.

Though the ramifications went on far longer, the bookend to the Berlin Wall falling on 9 November 1989 was Nelson Mandela walking free from Victor Vester Prison on 11 February 1990, signalling the beginning of the end of apartheid in South Africa.

I still find it remarkable looking back at those months, watching things change we believed would never change, were writ in stone.

Not all that followed has been good but it was something to watch the last occupied countries of World War II get their independence back...

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Von Bontee, The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, QuarryMan, Getbackintheussr

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

The Beatles Non-Canon Poll List

12 November 2019
1.54pm
meanmistermustard
Here when I am. Not when I am not.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 22293
21943sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
@meanmistermustard, what do you think about sugar-free Irn-Bru? Do you think you will like the 1901 Irn-Bru they are putting out in December?

Never heard of it. Will give it a try but fiery Irn-Bru was undrinkable. 

It looks beautiful.

Irn-Bru 1901Image Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris) 

"Don't make your love suffer insecurities; Trade the baggage of self to set another one free" ('Paper Skin' - Kendall Payne)

12 November 2019
3.23pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 18535
21944sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Ahhh Girl said

Never heard of it. Will give it a try but fiery Irn-Bru was undrinkable. 

It looks beautiful.

Irn-Bru 1901

Image Enlarger

@meanmistermustard , let us know what you think of it when you try it.

12 November 2019
3.39pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 15447
21945sp_Permalink sp_Print

I've finally gotten my unread posts down to 0 (with some help from the 'Mark all read' button a-hard-days-night-ringo-12) after about two months of meaning to do so. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

It verges from the sublime to the ridiculote

Silly-Girl-2016.png Silly-Girl-2017.png bbbadge2018.jpg

New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here

15 November 2019
6.03am
Getbackintheussr
The Void
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1255
21946sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Getbackintheussr for this post:

vonbontee, Beatlebug

P E A C E  &  L O V E

Sunglasses-Emoji-PNG-Transparent-Background.pngstar-emoji-by-google.png1f549.png1f98f.pngbroccoli_1f966.pngdrum-with-drumsticks_1f941.pngmultiple-musical-notes_1f3b6.pngkisspng-emojipedia-whatsapp-peace-symbols-text-messaging-5af2ba93ab48a4.1265377915258569157016.jpgSparkling_Pink_Heart_Emoji_large.pngOctopus_Emoji_large.png262e.png

18 November 2019
1.39am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2832
21947sp_Permalink sp_Print

Getbackintheussr said
I found this really fascinating. 

I saw that too, the sources for the style surprised me; I had assumed they were taking their cue from later movements that treated the same material (the art nouveau) in their own ways, but they had gone to the source.

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: AppleScruffJunior, The Hole Got Fixed
Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 15586
Ron Nasty: 9871
Necko: 7858
50yearslate: 7716
parlance: 7111
AppleScruffJunior: 6447
mr. Sun king coming together: 6403
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6063
mithveaen: 4621
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 87
Members: 2725
Moderators: 6
Admins: 2
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 4783
Newest Members:
I Need Help, j19s84, OCTOPUSSGARDEN331, aivibing126, Meurig
Moderators: Joe: 5071, Zig: 9807, meanmistermustard: 22293, Ahhh Girl: 18535, Beatlebug: 15447, The Hole Got Fixed: 7072
Administrators: Joe: 5071, Ellie: 4