Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The "Incredibly Impossible to Derail This Thread" thread
21 May 2019
6.44pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
21081sp_Permalink sp_Print

Getbackintheussr said
I find this so weird. Aren’t schools supposed to prepare you for the future? High schools expect students to make big, life-changing decisions and to know what they’re going to do for the rest of their lives. But they still restrict the internet and make us ask for permission to use the toilet.

Exactly. We’re expected to act like adults, but we are treated like children. 

I mean, is there some stuff that could be justifiably restricted? Sure. Is the word “blonde” one of those things? Absolutely not.

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Getbackintheussr, The Hole Got Fixed, StrawberryFields91, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

21 May 2019
6.54pm
StrawberryFields91
Crackerbox Palace
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 824
21082sp_Permalink sp_Print

At my school, if they catch you doing anything that isn’t “school related,” they “confiscate your computer privileges,” which sounds like something you’d do to a little kid. If you get banned from using computers, you can’t do anything computer-related at school for a week afterwards so you end up getting it all as homework. I don’t know what idiot came up with it, but it sure as heck doesn’t work, or even change anything at all. All it does is just make people less likely to finish their assignments. 

Isn't he a bit like you and me?

21 May 2019
6.56pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
21083sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s just stupid. At my school, people get in trouble if they’re playing a game when they’re supposed to be doing their work, but they don’t get their “computer privileges” “confiscated” because that’s ridiculous and how are they supposed to do any work. 

Oh yeah, speaking of annoying school-related things, we’ve had the same sub in math for the past three days, and every day he mispronounces my name in a new and different way, even though I SPECIFICALLY TOLD HIM how to pronounce it on the first day. And I’m just like Why is it that people forget how to read when they look at my name? It’s not that hard!

StrawberryFields91, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

21 May 2019
7.01pm
ScarlettFieldsForever
Marmalade Skies
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1063
21084sp_Permalink sp_Print

Getbackintheussr said
I find this so weird. Aren’t schools supposed to prepare you for the future? High schools expect students to make big, life-changing decisions and to know what they’re going to do for the rest of their lives. But they still restrict the internet and make us ask for permission to use the toilet.

paul-mccartney

Our school just bans the wifi when we need to use it. Certainly, some people can’t play video games, but more people just can’t do their research either.paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes...

21 May 2019
7.04pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
21085sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thankfully our school is quite liberal about the internet – youtube isn’t blocked for instance, and nor is twitter (I think).

Which would be great if it wasn’t SO SLOW!! It’s so slow that my computer times out the connection, so I’ve been forced to use my phone’s personal hotspot for the last one and a half years if I want to use the internet.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

21 May 2019
7.07pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
21086sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

ScarlettFieldsForever said

Getbackintheussr said

paul-mccartney

Are you saying you don’t have to ask permission to go to the bathroom at your school? Is it possible for me to transfer?ahdn_george_01

In all seriousness, I actually don’t mind the bathroom-pass system, because most of the time you can turn your passes in at the end of the year for extra credit. My habit of forgetting to drink water for long periods of time actually comes in handy in this case– I almost never use the bathroom at school. Which is good, because school bathrooms are revolting.

Ah, Holey, yes, I relate– my school’s wifi and service is pathetic. I’m one of the few people whose phone is actually capable of logging onto the wifi, though, I’m very fortunate.

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

21 May 2019
7.16pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
21087sp_Permalink sp_Print

In the UK, more of the providers of pay-as-you-go Internet are putting adult content controls on as the default, with you needing a credit card to prove your age to have them removed. Fine and easy for those who have credit cards; for those of us who don’t we have to find a shop owned by the network provider and go there to get it removed in person.

My phone and laptop are on different networks. At the age of 52, both networks have put adult content controls on that block access to the most ridiculous sites and I have to go out of my way to get them removed.

blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

21 May 2019
7.18pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
21088sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

ScarlettFieldsForever said

Getbackintheussr said

paul-mccartney

Are you saying you don’t have to ask permission to go to the bathroom at your school? Is it possible for me to transfer?ahdn_george_01

No I think gbitussr was saying that they do have to ask permission…

In all seriousness, I actually don’t mind the bathroom-pass system, because most of the time you can turn your passes in at the end of the year for extra credit. My habit of forgetting to drink water for long periods of time actually comes in handy in this case– I almost never use the bathroom at school. Which is good, because school bathrooms are revolting.

Thankfully we don’t have passes and we don’t have a credit based system – that’s basically promoting unhealthy behaviour, how stupid…

Ah, Holey, yes, I relate– my school’s wifi and service is pathetic. I’m one of the few people whose phone is actually capable of logging onto the wifi, though, I’m very fortunate.

neil-aspinall

Ron Nasty said

In the UK, more of the providers of pay-as-you-go Internet are putting adult content controls on as the default, with you needing a credit card to prove your age to have them removed. Fine and easy for those who have credit cards; for those of us who don’t we have to find a shop owned by the network provider and go there to get it removed in person.

My phone and laptop are on different networks. At the age of 52, both networks have put adult content controls on that block access to the most ridiculous sites and I have to go out of my way to get them removed.

blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie

My goodness that sounds painful… How utterly ridiculous!

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

21 May 2019
8.04pm
CouldntThinkOfABeatlesPun
Kicking Edgar Allan Poe
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 151
21089sp_Permalink sp_Print

Last year, on Valentine’s Day, the power at my school went out and they were required to cancel school in the middle of the day. As soon as they made that announcement, and everyone was leaving, the power came back on, and instead of not caring, some teachers tried to grab the students as they were walking out so everyone started running. It was mayhem.

The following people thank CouldntThinkOfABeatlesPun for this post:

50yearslate, ScarlettFieldsForever, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl, The Hole Got Fixed
21 May 2019
8.11pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
21090sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wish my school was canceled when the power was out a-hard-days-night-paul-3

Oh yeah, fun fact; the bells aren’t working so on Monday they replaced them with…. drumroll please… fire alarms!

CouldntThinkOfABeatlesPun, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl, StrawberryFields91

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

21 May 2019
8.17pm
Kicking Edgar Allan Poe
London Palladium
Members
21091sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

Oh yeah, fun fact; the bells aren’t working so on Monday they replaced them with…. drumroll please… fire alarms!

How long were they going for each bell?

21 May 2019
8.26pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
21092sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

CouldntThinkOfABeatlesPun said

50yearslate said

How long were they going for each bell?

Well it wasn’t really… organized… it just kind of randomly went off around the times it was supposed to, there was no consistent amount of time. By sixth period they just quit and went with no bells at all.

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

21 May 2019
8.47pm
ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl
The Kingdom of Marigold
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 358
21093sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

Fire alarms? WHAT????paul-mccartney-facepalm_gifblue-meanie

Be groovy or leave, man.

-Bob Dylan

21 May 2019
8.54pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
21094sp_Permalink sp_Print

ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl said

50yearslate said

Fire alarms? WHAT????paul-mccartney-facepalm_gifblue-meanie

They didn’t warn us, either, so we all rushed outside till they explained what was going on over the loudspeaker. 

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

21 May 2019
9.12pm
Kicking Edgar Allan Poe
London Palladium
Members
21095sp_Permalink sp_Print

I wonder why they didn’t just tell you to change classes over the intercom

mccartney-shrug_01_gif

21 May 2019
9.18pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
21096sp_Permalink sp_Print

CouldntThinkOfABeatlesPun said
I wonder why they didn’t just tell you to change classes over the intercom

mccartney-shrug_01_gif

We’d already gone without bells for two weeks because of AP testing and that worked fine. In fact, that’s what we did today. I don’t know whose idea the fire alarms were, but perhaps that person is not the best candidate for their job.

That said, I hope the bells come back soon a-hard-days-night-paul-7

Why I came: I was spacing out and listening to Isn’t It A Pity and for some reason instead of hearing “Isn’t It A Pity ” I heard “isn’t it a Fiddy” a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

Tangerine, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

21 May 2019
9.21pm
Tangerine
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1276
21097sp_EditHistory sp_Permalink sp_Print

At my school we just don’t have bells during AP or Smarter Balanced testing and we get along fine without them.  There’s no reason to use Fire alarms over not having them at all.

Edit: I posted this before I saw Fiddy’s

21 May 2019
9.27pm
Getbackintheussr
The Void
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1349
21098sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

Why I came: I was spacing out and listening to Isn’t It A Pity and for some reason instead of hearing “Isn’t It A Pity ” I heard “isn’t it a Fiddy” a-hard-days-night-ringo-12

That happens every time I listen to Isn’t It A Pity !

50yearslate said

Oh yeah, speaking of annoying school-related things, we’ve had the same sub in math for the past three days, and every day he mispronounces my name in a new and different way, even though I SPECIFICALLY TOLD HIM how to pronounce it on the first day. And I’m just like Why is it that people forget how to read when they look at my name? It’s not that hard!

My English teacher called me ‘lady’ the first few weeks of school, he couldn’t be bothered to learn my name (which is five letters!). Then he called me ‘Anna’ for the rest of the first semester. I stopped using British spellings out of spite for him.

Also, Fiddy, did you get a chance to watch the video?

The following people thank Getbackintheussr for this post:

Beatlebug

P E A C E  &  L O V E

Sunglasses-Emoji-PNG-Transparent-Background.pngstar-emoji-by-google.png1f549.png1f98f.pngbroccoli_1f966.pngdrum-with-drumsticks_1f941.pngmultiple-musical-notes_1f3b6.pngkisspng-emojipedia-whatsapp-peace-symbols-text-messaging-5af2ba93ab48a4.1265377915258569157016.jpgSparkling_Pink_Heart_Emoji_large.pngOctopus_Emoji_large.png262e.png

Without going out of my door, I can know all things on Earth...

~Signature.png~

21 May 2019
9.35pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
21099sp_Permalink sp_Print

Getbackintheussr said

50yearslate said

That happens every time I listen to Isn’t It A Pity !

For real? a-hard-days-night-george-9

50yearslate said

My English teacher called me ‘lady’ the first few weeks of school, he couldn’t be bothered to learn my name (which is five letters!). Then he called me ‘Anna’ for the rest of the first semester. I stopped using British spellings out of spite for him.

How awful of him. But of course it’s always the kids with the ten-million-letter names that they get perfectly and the ones with short and simple names get screwed up. I’ve seen it happen countless times. It makes no sense.

Also, Fiddy, did you get a chance to watch the video?

Oh, no, oof, I forgot.

Getbackintheussr

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

21 May 2019
10.04pm
TheWalrusWasBrian
fell off the roof AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
21100sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

Getbackintheussr said

Exactly. We’re expected to act like adults, but we are treated like children. 

I mean, is there some stuff that could be justifiably restricted? Sure. Is the word “blonde” one of those things? Absolutely not.

yep, it’s crazy. the internet is really great until adults went all crazy on it… 

about the whole bell conversation: during our standarized tests (SOLs, does anyone else have these?) half the time they ring the bell and then sometimes the teachers are just like “feck it, go to class, no one told us anything.” it’s so disorginzed. i hate being a teenager so much. i want freedom. let me look at blonde people. 

The following people thank TheWalrusWasBrian for this post:

Getbackintheussr, 50yearslate, The Hole Got Fixed, ScarlettFieldsForever, Beatlebug

IMG_3978.PNG|badge1.png | I don’t know how to put it here. hello for the love of god hello 

~~~

The Concert for Bageldesh

~~~

Walrian here! Not Fiddy, or anyone else, actually.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694