Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
9 May 2020
5.46pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6041sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said

EAC566C8-C275-491A-A42C-1761B4A87286.jpeg

bruh now I’m mad at myself for forgetting about t h e  d a n c i n g  t u r t l e s

Ngl almost every Dead album cover is pretty hype tho a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Jules, Beatlebug, Von Bontee

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

9 May 2020
5.57pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
6042sp_Permalink sp_Print

Screen-Shot-2020-05-09-at-23.36.11.pngImage Enlarger

Okay, here’s mine in no particular order, from left to to right.

Yo La Tengo – And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out (2000)

Kind of similar to American Football’s self titled debut, I find this cover at once relaxing, like a mellow late summer’s night, and also intriguing, with that figure on the right illuminated by some light out of shot. I’ll probably overuse this phrase many times in this post, but it truly does fit the music wonderfully.

Björk – Post (1995)

I just love how garish and bright this album cover is. It reflects how bold and diverse the music itself is.

Joy Division – Closer (1980)

Given the album’s rather morbid association with the death of Ian Curtis before its release, it is fitting that the cover depicts a sort of funeral. The Unknown Pleasures cover is the more iconic image, but I prefer this one, I’m not really sure why. Something about it is just haunting.

Frank Zappa – Hot Rats (1969)

Jules included this in his list, but I couldn’t resist popping it in mine as well. I find covers with the text styled like that very visually appealing, and then there’s the bright pink colour scheme matched with the very bizarre image of a figure stood peering over the edge of the swimming pool. Overall, it’s a very striking and unusual image, much like the music itself.

Bill Evans & Jim Hall – Undercurrent (1962) 

This one is truly ahead of its time – a stark, haunting image of a girl floating in murky water. It wouldn’t look out of place on a metal album, and yet it’s surprisingly the cover of a pleasant and mellow jazz album from the early sixties. Amazing. 

John Coltrane – Concert in Japan (1973) 

Maybe this cover is derivative of other iconic Japanese imagery, but I just love it, and it pairs wonderfully with how lush and spiritually powerful the music is.

Tropical F*ck Storm – A Laughing Death In Meatspace (2018)

The only album cover on this list to truly scare me, this nightmarish image is a perfect match for the ghoulish, distorted nature of the punk-blues hybrid it represents.

The Microphones – The Glow, Pt 2 (2001)

The definitive lo-fi folk album, and a personal favourite for a few years now, Phil actually took this image from a Norwegian cookbook from the 1940s, but something about it is ideal for the DIY nature of his art and the wintry ambience of the music.

Grimes – Art Angels (2015)

This is one I’ve gotten into quite recently, I love how it sort of looks like the cover to a steampunk style comic book and more generally I have a soft spot for any illustrated cover. 

My Bloody Valentine – Loveless (1991)

More than any other album cover, this one is truly inseparable from the music in that it perfectly represents what this album does sonically. The cover is a picture of a guitar, but it’s so covered underneath all the layers of colours and effects that it’s barely recognisable. The same goes for the shoegazing style the album perfected – sugary guitar pop wrapped in so many different layers of fuzz, reverb and distortion that it becomes something else altogether. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Von Bontee, Jules, vonbontee, ewe2

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

9 May 2020
6.11pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410

Loving these covers

I’m just going to leave this here, because history… I think?

Waterloo album, by Abba. Album cover. | Music album cover, Abba ...Image Enlarger

edit for clarity:

Napoleon Bonaparte

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan, Jules, Beatlebug, sigh butterfly

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

9 May 2020
7.59pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448

The Hole Got Fixed said
Loving these covers

Yes, this. Also, loved the writeups there, @Jules and @QuarryMan 

And AARGH another amazing one I forgot

tyranny.pngImage Enlarger

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

Jules, Necko

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

9 May 2020
9.12pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

Sorry, I fell asleep here’s some feedback!

One of my favourite lists was @vonbontee’s. I haven’t heard many of the albums, so most of the covers are really new to me, but I just love how much his list differs from the others because of his musical tastes. It really shows his personality and what calls his attention to an album cover: people.

One of my favorites there is Silver Apples’ Contact, it just looks like this quirky sci-fi movie that I would like to see. Also Fun House and Black Sabbath are gritty as hell and I love it.

Also some star-power covers like the Donna Summers’ Bad Girls record or The Second Barbra Streisand Album. Really cool. Just the star, that’s all we needa-hard-days-night-george-4Badass & Sexy.

And I can’t believe I forgot about Ummagumma!! That is such a great cover, and so creative as a concept as well aarrga-hard-days-night-paul-7now I have to rethink my top ten. When I found out how the mirror reflects the same image with different members of the group I was blown away. Really cool choice.

It’s seems to me that Pink Floyd is the best cover art band, there were a lot of picks of theirs in this thread: Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Obscured by Clouds, More, Ummagumma, Animals. And let’s not forget A Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother , Meddle (this one is also one of my favourites, but I limited myself to one per artist), The Dark Side of the Moon (probably the most iconic of all time and with reason), Wish You Were Here, The Wall and The Division Bell. ALL FANTASTIC covers.

@lovelyritametermaid one of my favourites was Imploding the Mirage. I guess I’ll have to check it out when it comes out, that is a masterful cover. The clouds feel like solid rock, it’s so eye grabbing! Interesting choice.

AND YES ZIGGY STARDUST YES

Oh my God that’s such a great one. There’s something about the comic aspect of it, it’s so cool! Damn. It almost made it into my list and now I’m regretting it SO hardahdn_paul_01

@sir walter raleigh One of my favourites is on your list: Who’s Next. I love that album and that hilarious pissing cover is one of my father’s favourites as well. It was a runner up for my top 10 but it ended up on the bottom so I didn’t include it but it’s still awesome. Also that “F R E E F A L L” cover is hilarious, no idea what it is but I love it. The Boston one is beautiful. And the Band’s self-titled is just ICONIC.

@QuarryMan I haven’t gotten into Bjork discography other than some of her hit songs but I’ve always liked that colorful image of her looking at me. It’s like a progression from her Debut album cover, like now that she’s making another one she’s changed but it’s still the same… But I’ll have to listen to it to see what’s up.

Yes Hot Rats.

Yes Bill Evans. Oh my God , what a cover. Looks like an image from some Tarkovskian picture, it’s so scary. I love it when artists really get a grasp of harsh imagery to put on their album covers. But this was early 60s!! Jesus, he was early. To be honest I don’t remember nothing from Undercurrents, but that cover is disturbingly beautiful.

The Glow Pt. 2 is an awesome cover. That elephant feels HUGE, and I think the album has something to do with him getting killed in the woods by a beast or something, and it fits so perfectly with the album. I’m not that into lo-fi folk, so the album hasn’t always been my thing, but I agree that is a masterful way of complementing the music’s aesthetic.

And Loveless is a brilliant cover. I really like that album, and the cover does give a sense of how dreamy all of it is. Really good choices.

@The Hole Got Fixed LOL WHAT? I’ve owned that album since I was a child and I never noticed Napoleon in the background damn. I love ABBA, and I always thought that cover was lame but Jesus now it’s kind of genius!a-hard-days-night-paul-5

Also I just remembered!!:

The following people thank Jules for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, QuarryMan, vonbontee

the watusi

the twist

9 May 2020
10.32pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
6046sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

Sorry, I fell asleep here’s some feedback!

Hey! Don’t apologize for sleeping! Getting those zzz’s is very important for both your physical and mental health! a-hard-days-night-ringo-15a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

sorry for being a mom but its a very true statement that I mean in all seriousness a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Jules, Beatlebug

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

9 May 2020
11.04pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
6047sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry for double-posting (again oof), but I forgot that singles have cover-art as well soooo….here’s just a few that I could think of off of the top of my head:

The Killers Share New Single "Fire In Bone": Listen - StereogumImage Enlarger

Caution (The Killers song) - WikipediaImage Enlarger

^^^^These two for “Fire and Bone” and “Caution” by the Killers are feckin’ gorgeous and I love them to death 

Top 10 Paul McCartney SongsImage Enlarger

^^^this one I like just because it’s so ridiculous 

Coming Up (song) - WikipediaImage Enlarger

The Smiths - The Stories Behind All 27 Of Their Provocative Album ...Image Enlarger

The Smiths - The Stories Behind All 27 Of Their Provocative Album ...Image Enlarger

Grateful Dead* - Sugar Magnolia (2018, Blue, Vinyl) | DiscogsImage Enlarger

George Harrison Used Image From The Beatles “Revolver” Cover For ...Image Enlarger

Jules, WeepingAtlasCedars

||She/They ||

9 May 2020
11.06pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Love the When We Was Fab cover, never saw it before!

Also, I just remembered Queen:

EDIT: Fixedgeorge-martin

Captura-de-pantalla-2020-05-10-a-las-8.52.08-a.m..pngImage Enlarger

lovelyritametermaid, Von Bontee

the watusi

the twist

9 May 2020
11.35pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
6049sp_Permalink sp_Print

^I mean I guess it’s cool but it’s CREEPY AF

So, favorite covers in no particular order.

Revolver – duh. I also love AHDN , very cool cheeky concept, and Beatles For Sale /Rubber Soul because cool hair and Lennon stare. Anthologies are freakin’ amazing just on an artistic level (Klaus is da maaaan).

Pink Floyd – meh, everything they did. Jules is 100% right, best cover art band everrrrr. If I had to pick one, probably Animals because everything Jules already said about it, pretty much. But I could make a case for every single one from Ummagumma to The Division Bell, and maybe I will, sometime, if I have nothing better to do…

Led Zeppelin – the third album’s cover has a special place in my heart because it’s stupidly fun to play with because, as previously established, I’m am overgrown child. Houses of the Holy is probably the best, though.

Bowie – Hit or miss, but more of his covers were awesome than not. Top mentions: The Man Who Sold the World and Hunky Dory because he legitimately looks like a pre-Raphaelite maiden and I am   h e r e   f o r   i t ; Aladdin Sane because it’s so CLEAN and ICONIC (seriously, 1973 was a year for clean and iconic covers: DSOTM, Aladdin, Band On The Run , Living in the Material World…); I like the cover of Young Americans a little more than I like the album, actually (plastic soul’s not really my cup of tea, although he does it well, but softly glowing smoky glamour-shot Bowie? Yes please); “Heroes”, nuff said; and Heathen because it sounds like the album looks. Blackstar is cool too.

Muse – Storm Thorgerson designed the covers for Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations, so of course I love them. ENIGMATIC AND OVERLY IMPOSSIBLE PHOTO CONCEPTS FTW!

Assorted:
Currents by Tame Impala is super cool. 10/10 could fall in.
The ArchAndroid by Janelle Monáe, a very cool Bowiesque persona/face-flexing design. (Have pretty face, will use for kooky characters. paul-mccartney-thumb_gif)
Band in the Run and Living in the Material World, mentioned above, are both pretty classic. Plastic Ono Band and Wild Life are lovely as well, take me to those photoshoot locations please.

I can’t think of any more right now. I should probably also narrow that down or organize it but whatever, I’m PWT. ahdn_george_05

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Jules, CakeMaestor, WeepingAtlasCedars, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

9 May 2020
11.53pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Beatlebug said
^I mean I guess it’s cool but it’s CREEPY AF

Yeah, I mean, in a way, I can’t decide if it’s a terrible cover or an incredible cover. I’m very torn, but the editing is flawless nontheless.

Also YES Led Zeppelin had some great cover art too.

You have the debut which is just the Hindenburg blowing up but still, it’s very powerful as a breakthrough album.

Led-Zeppelin.pngImage Enlarger

You’ve got Presence which at first I thought it was like a family having dinner or something. But when I actually looked, they are like… worshiping a black object… it’s kind of creepy.

Presence.pngImage Enlarger

Also the gatefold cover of Houses of the Holy which @vonbontee mentioned but the front is great too

Houses-of-the-Holy.jpgImage Enlarger

Also another of my favourite gatefold covers (kind of a given):

Blonde-on-Blonde.jpgImage Enlarger

I mean, in a way, every depiction of Blonde on Blonde, including my own, is wrong, because Bob’s face is actually supposed to be… sideways? I don’t know, I’ve never had a vinyl copy. Still fantastic picture.

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, vonbontee

the watusi

the twist

10 May 2020
5.53am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
6051sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

SharedImage-18729.jpgImage Enlarger

I have to say, this is the first choice so far that I’ve disagreed with. I mean, whose idea was this exactly?

Jules, Beatlebug, Beatlebug

10 May 2020
6.27am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
6052sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Jules said

SharedImage-18729.jpgImage Enlarger

I have to say, this is the first choice so far that I’ve disagreed with. I mean, whose idea was this exactly?

Hate that cover. It was a dreadful idea.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

QuarryMan, Jules, Von Bontee, Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

10 May 2020
6.30am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
6053sp_Permalink sp_Print

I just can’t get over how bizarre and awful it looks. They all look so uncomfortable. 

Jules, Beatlebug

10 May 2020
6.35am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

I presume it is meaning they are one, neatly tying in with the writing credits changing to the four members as a whole instead of being based on individuals. It’s still crap tho.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Jules, QuarryMan, Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

10 May 2020
6.42am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Y’all are just jealous you’ll never had the looks of handsome John Deaconstuart-sutcliffestuart-sutcliffe

I don’t know, I kinda love that cover, it’s very eye-catchinga-hard-days-night-paul-7

the watusi

the twist

10 May 2020
6.59am
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157

Here’s a few of many  ahdn_john_08_gif

HolliesEvolution.jpgImage Enlarger

1a459408b2f7955e4341ab663d0001e6.1000x1000x1.jpgImage Enlarger

MI0003134651.jpgImage Enlarger

(a-hard-days-night-ringo-8by Klaus)

Friends.jpgImage Enlarger

Buffalo%2BSpringfield%2B-%2BAgain.jpgImage Enlarger

Yes, I love me some psychedelic artwork a-hard-days-night-john-3

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Jules, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid, vonbontee, sir walter raleigh, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

10 May 2020
7.02am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Any B&W you like?

Also, it might be you 3000th post.

SgtPeppersBulldog

the watusi

the twist

10 May 2020
7.12am
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157
6058sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ooh, almost forgot this:

procol_1stf.jpgImage Enlarger

and WOO POST 3000! beatlemaniacs_02_gifbeatlemaniacs_02_gifbeatlemaniacs_02_gif

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Jules, QuarryMan, Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

10 May 2020
7.13am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
6059sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ooh! I love that album.

Congratulations!!john-lennon-salute_gif

SgtPeppersBulldog

the watusi

the twist

10 May 2020
9.44pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
6060sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said
Y’all are just jealous you’ll never had the looks of handsome John Deaconstuart-sutcliffestuart-sutcliffe

I don’t know, I kinda love that cover, it’s very eye-catchinga-hard-days-night-paul-7

Yes, I’d say their eyes definitely seem caught. That’s the creepiest part, really. ahdn_paul_01a-hard-days-night-paul-10

So bad it’s good? Maybe there’s another cover category idea… I’d nominate Gone Troppo right off ahdn_john_08_gif

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Jules, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691