Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
27 March 2018
7.10am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4801sp_Permalink sp_Print

@TheWalrusWasBrian said
<snip>okie, my depression and anxiety may have a role in my opinion on death…<snippity snip>

heartheartapple01 Don’t do what I thought you were inferring to!paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif*

Interesting to see that there’s only Two Of Us who are more scared of death, and everyone else is more scared of aging ungracefully, thus age has almost no factor.derek-taylor_01_gif It would be fascinating to see what a much larger group of people thought, to see if the ratio is slightly more even!

*Yes, I misread what you wrote, and only for a second… Still!

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Beatlebug, TheWalrusWasBrian, WeepingAtlasCedars

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

27 March 2018
7.16am
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
4802sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
Are you more afraid of 1. growing old and not being able to take care of yourself or 2. death? 

Over 50.

Unless I am diagnosed as terminal, I would have no reason to fear death because I won’t know when it’s coming. Constantly looking over my shoulder is not my style. 

As for the first component of the question, it would depend on to what degree I am not able to take care of myself. I am quite fortunate that I was raised in, and still enjoy, a very loving, close-knit family. My reason for saying that is it has instilled in me that if you truly love someone, there is nothing you wouldn’t do for them. When I was in my teens, my grandmother was inflicted with Alzheimer’s. When it became clear that living on her own could cause her bodily harm, she lived with us and we took care of her for as long as we could – at least one of us was home at any given time. If we went off on holiday, my aunt would stay with her. Placing her in a nursing home was the absolute last resort and only became necessary when Gram started wandering around the house at night and injured herself slightly after a fall. At that point, she needed round-the-clock supervision and having someone awake 24/7 was not feasible. It broke our hearts when she entered the home. But even then, as the disease slowly diminished her ability to recall people or things voluntarily, we still visited her regularly. The times when she would look at one of us and say something like, “I know you” and that spark of recognition brought utter joy to her face…priceless. As long as her body was healthy and she was not suffering, who were we to rob her of those joyous moments? Because of all of that, my tolerance may be greater. I would do anything on earth Zag needed me to do and have no doubt she feels the same way. As long as someone can point me at the sunrise in the morning and the sunset in the evening, it would take a lot for me to want to end my life. I won’t know until I get there, but as I write this, it scares me not. I’d rather enjoy life than fear death or disability.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Little Piggy Dragonguy, ewe2, Father McKenzie, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 March 2018
10.45am
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157
4803sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m 15 (turning 16 in August ahdn_john_08_gif)

I’m more scared of death because that could happen at any time in the most unexpected of ways. The process of ageing doesn’t seem too bad (unless as mentioned earlier, ungracefully), plus I’m sure I’ll get by with a little help from my friends  future children!

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

27 March 2018
11.17am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
4804sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t see death as a bad thing, so I’m not afraid to die.

There’s no reason for me to fear getting old, either. All my favorite people in my life have been my great-grandparents. When I was little I used to dream of being a retired grandma who got to babysit. That was my ideal life stage to live out. I’ve watched people deteriorate from cancer and be able to do less and less for themselves until they couldn’t do anything, and the one thing that I’ve heard from every singe one of those people is that they were at peace and they were happy to be surrounded by their family and to have lived such full lives. I look at my 88 year old great grandma and see how active she is and how much she can do for herself (which is pretty much everything but drive). I’m not scared of old age or losing my abilities, because I know that if that ever does happen to me, it will be fleeting, and I will be surrounded by people I care about. 

If I’m afraid of anything related to this topic, it would be that I don’t reach old age. I’d be fine, but I wouldn’t want my family to live through that. 

(I’m 21)

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

Zig

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

27 March 2018
11.37am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
4805sp_Permalink sp_Print

WeepingAtlasCedars said
I’m very much afraid of the second one, whereas death really doesn’t scare me at all (at least my own).  

Good point, WeepyC. The thought of my loved ones dying scares the shit outta me, but my own death doesn’t trouble me that much (it would suck to leave stuff unfinished, if it were untimely, but I certainly wouldn’t care a jot a-hard-days-night-john-6).

Also didn’t know you were married, aren’t you a bit young? a-hard-days-night-george-10

(JK, I know what you mean a-hard-days-night-john-6)

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Zig, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

27 March 2018
12.57pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22227
4806sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess I am more afraid of the growing old and unable to care for myself since I will be alone, most likely, based on Actuarial tables.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars
27 March 2018
1.21pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
4807sp_Permalink sp_Print

AG, I hear ya, cuz for the most part women live longer than men. Still, I have to believe that as nice of a person as you are, you will not be alone. Sending mental hugs…a-hard-days-night-ringo-13

apple01heart

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl, ewe2, WeepingAtlasCedars

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

27 March 2018
1.37pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22227
4808sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ And Ohhh Boy is 4 years older than me.

27 March 2018
3.42pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
4809sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I guess I am more afraid of the growing old and unable to care for myself since I will be alone, most likely, based on Actuarial tables.  

I used to think about that sometimes since I’m not married and have no kids, so if I get old suddenly and I’m still in a kid-less, grandchild-less state, then I could end up dying alone. But I don’t worry about it anymore, because I’ve decided that if I don’t have kids by forty, then it’ll be my time to go, so there’ll be nothing to worry about. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

1 April 2018
3.05pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
4810sp_Permalink sp_Print

In a standered rpg party, what role would you take?

healer (you would keep people healthy)

Dps (you deal damage)

or tank (you get the attention of the bad guys so the dps and healer don’t get attacked)

Also what specifics would u be? Like long range magic dps? Evasion tank? etc…?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

9 May 2018
9.45am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
4811sp_Permalink sp_Print

rip last quesiton.

Anyway, if you woke up tomorrow without the ability to hear, how would your appreciation for the Beatles/other music change?

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

9 May 2018
12.06pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
4812sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, man. Toughie.

I remember seeing something (on some talent show, I think) about a girl who went deaf but continued to play music, and if I recall, she said something to the effect that she now feels the music instead of just hearing it (I guess you’d have to have it up pretty loud ahdn_george_06). So you’d still be able to sense the vibrations. I think my appreciation of music would become much more rhythic-based than focused on melody and pitch.

I was definitely feeling the music at the concert the other day — all that bass, right in my chest. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Hippymama

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

9 May 2018
12.57pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789

Starr Shine? said
In a standered rpg party, what role would you take?

healer (you would keep people healthy)

Dps (you deal damage)

or tank (you get the attention of the bad guys so the dps and healer don’t get attacked)

Also what specifics would u be? Like long range magic dps? Evasion tank? etc…?  

I recently finished a campaign where I was  a heavy damage caster, but i enjoy all roles but tank, unless theres I’m some kind of evasion tank multiclass. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Starr Shine?

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

9 May 2018
4.42pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4814sp_Permalink sp_Print

My dad is really quite deaf, so he’s told me how completely deaf people hear. They can sense the vibrations going through the ground and the air, which their brain roughly decodes into something resembling sound. 

How would it change me? I’d have to find a new calling in life. My hearing is something I value a lot. 

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Beatlebug, Timothy, WeepingAtlasCedars

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

10 May 2018
10.12am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
4815sp_Permalink sp_Print

Think that this may be what you were referring to, @Beatlebug…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..KSWXzAnVe0

My jaw dropped when I first saw it a couple of months ago. A remarkable artist with a stunning voice who’s managed to overcome the disability life put in her way.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

10 May 2018
10.15am
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157
4816sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unfortunately, yes. It’d probably end my music obsession completely, but I’d still be able to watch AHDN and Help with subtitles for the comedy! a-hard-days-night-john-6

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Ahhh Girl, The Hole Got Fixed

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

10 May 2018
10.29am
PurplishRain
The Cold Waters of Lake Minnetoka
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 476
4817sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

https://www.youtube.com/watch?…..KSWXzAnVe0

My jaw dropped when I first saw it a couple of months ago. A remarkable artist with a stunning voice who’s managed to overcome the disability life put in her way.  

I saw her preform at a summit last summer. She preformed a cover of Bob Dylan’s Don’t Think Twice It’s Alright. Got to meet her and take a picture

The following people thank PurplishRain for this post:

Beatlebug

"Dinner with Delores Must be some kind of sin
Like a Brontosaurus  She was packin' it in" -Prince

Prince_logo.png

10 May 2018
12.00pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

Ron Nasty said

Indeed it was, thanks Ron john-lennon-salute_gif

I know that if I went deaf, I would still try to play music. It’s largely tactile anyway, provided you’ve got a tuner — singing is far more difficult to do in key without hearing.

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

11 May 2018
2.26am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2145

Starr Shine? said
rip last quesiton.

Anyway, if you woke up tomorrow without the ability to hear, how would your appreciation for the Beatles/other music change?  

The inability to ever hear them again would be very depressing for me. It would be like a part of my soul being removed. The appreciation would always be there but the enjoyment level would obviously be impacted. I’d just have to remember how the music sounded via memory. 

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, BeatleSnut

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

11 May 2018
4.17am
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3973
4820sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said

If i couldn’t hear it i’d try to see it

"I Need You by George Harrison"

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694