Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
27 February 2018
11.38am
Pineapple Records
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4781sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’d never heard of Cicely Mary Barker before. I Googled her images and found this delightfully impish one:

Image result for cicely mary barkerImage Enlarger

The following people thank Pineapple Records for this post:

Beatlebug

A ginger sling with a pineapple heart,

a coffee dessert, yes you know it's good news...

1 March 2018
10.29pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
4782sp_Permalink sp_Print

Down our way, the Hot Cross Bun Fairy has been with us since Boxing Day. This year there’s been more variety, I particularly like the Brioche bun and they even have fruitless ones. Funny thing is, once Easter happens, they go away. Maybe the Hot Cross Bun Fairy is only doing it for the eggs.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

1 March 2018
10.40pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4783sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve seen almond and blueberry hot cross buns this year… The world is mad!

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

26 March 2018
7.56am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
4784sp_Permalink sp_Print

Are you more afraid of 1. growing old and not being able to take care of yourself or 2. death? I could have put this in the choosing between two things thread, but i am hoping for responses from multiple people. If you answer, state if you are older or younger than 50 (if you want to).

26 March 2018
9.03am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
4785sp_Permalink sp_Print

Over 50 and probably more afraid of the 1st than the 2nd because I’ve seen what goes on in a nursing home and I am very nope to that. Helpless age is a taboo subject related to death, but you don’t have to be old to be helpless. I think everyone personally struggles with their mortality – no matter what manner of worldview you have, it makes no difference. I think all you can do is to use what philosophical/spiritual consolation you can find and try harder to live in the moment and enjoy it because this is the life you have (from one of my favourite Living Colour songs).

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

26 March 2018
9.23am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4786sp_Permalink sp_Print

On the topic of not having to be old to be helpless: very true. However, knowing that you used to be able to do things for yourself and then having that ability taken away just from aging seems like it would be so hard to deal with (assuming your mind is still sharp and you know what is happening to you).

I too have known what nursing homes are like from the age of 12. My dad was in one for 15 years. I never want to get to that point. May death have mercy on me.

I turn 50 next month.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

ewe2, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, BeatleSnut
26 March 2018
11.02am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
4787sp_Permalink sp_Print

If I ever get to a point where I can’t communicate, can’t care for myself, I’m booking a one-way trip to Switzerland*. I don’t want to live if I can’t do anything myself and live independently. 

*Assuming Ireland hasn’t introduced assisted suicide by then which it probably won’t because the country doesn’t give a damn about the welfare of its citizens. 

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, BeatleSnut

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

26 March 2018
11.09am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4788sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have thought about that one-way trip to Switzerland myself.

26 March 2018
11.33am
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
4789sp_Permalink sp_Print

My state government has just legislated a form of legalized euthanasia (which is the word we tend to use here), so maybe switzerland isn’t necessary for me! But I hear ya @Ahhh Girl and @AppleScruffJunior, wanting to control your departure is, I think, a right. As I’m sure you can imagine, there’s been a very moralistic debate about this, particularly in my country where people felt talked down to and their concerns were being ignored. Attempts to pass legislation in a couple of our territories were dealt with harshly by the federal government here (ie, overturned because the federal government has that power over non-States), and in retrospect I think that was a Pyrrhic victory: it was inevitable that as the boomer generation aged, this issue was not going to go away, and the federal government can’t overturn State legislation if it doesn’t like it. An increasing number of people are developing dementia and Alzheimers-related diseases, and living wills have become popular items. It will get worse before it gets better, I know that.

Beatlebug

aus-flag-v-small.png

26 March 2018
11.45am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
4790sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am not frightened of dying. Anytime will do, I don’t mind
Why should I be frightened of dying? We all gotta go sometime

*piano and softly crescendoing slide guitar*
*One-Woman Wail*

Growing old ungracefully, on the other hand… a-hard-days-night-paul-7 a-hard-days-night-paul-3

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

ewe2, WeepingAtlasCedars

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

26 March 2018
11.58am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Maybe I don’t have to go all the way to Switzerland. I just need to move to one of these states/district one of these coming years.
Washington DC, California, Colorado, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington. Maybe euthanasia will be legal in more states by the time I get to that point.

Beatlebug
26 March 2018
2.58pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
4792sp_Permalink sp_Print

My relatives aged gracefully so I’m not super worried about that.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

26 March 2018
3.16pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4793sp_Permalink sp_Print

Honestly, I’m more afraid of death. 

If you grow old ungracefully, you can still enjoy life. You can spend time with friends, you can listen to music etc. 

Though I’m well and truly under 50. 

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

26 March 2018
4.11pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
4794sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think Queen says it best when they say who wants to live forever when love must die. This means that if you grow old all your loved ones will die and that would really suck to see all of your family and friends die while you’re there, 90 years old in a nursing home being taken care of by some random 25 year old that has very little incentive to treat you nicely depending on what country you live in. I’ll take an early (but not too early) death over living nice and old anyday.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

26 March 2018
4.44pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

How can you enjoy enjoy life if you can’t feed yourself or go to the toilet by yourself? Let’s say you have a bedsore on your bum. Then you poop in your adult diaper and have to sit in it until someone comes around to change your diaper because you can’t reach the button to call for help. Good luck changing stations on the radio or fiddling with an mp3 player.

Beatlebug, ewe2, BeatleSnut
26 March 2018
5.31pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Ahhh Girl said
How can you enjoy enjoy life if you can’t feed yourself or go to the toilet by yourself? Let’s say you have a bedsore on your bum. Then you poop in your adult diaper and have to sit in it until someone comes around to change your diaper because you can’t reach the button to call for help. Good luck changing stations on the radio or fiddling with an mp3 player.  

There are plently of people who can’t feed themselves, need support to go to toilet and far more but live very fulfilling lives. Having such restrictions does not mean life must not be enjoyable, it’s about finding the right people to provide the right support so that they can have as much excitement, joy etc as anyone else.

Anyone sitting in their own mess for an extended period of time should be having the way their care is provided questioned and ultimately changed. One of the basic and fundamental aspects of providing care is ensuring that no one is left in such a position for a significant period of time.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, Little Piggy Dragonguy

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 March 2018
6.21pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4797sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t want anyone doing those things for me. It isn’t life for me. It would be just existence, pitiful existence.

ewe2, BeatleSnut
26 March 2018
6.36pm
PurplishRain
The Cold Waters of Lake Minnetoka
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 476
4798sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would hate to put my future spouse through that

The following people thank PurplishRain for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"Dinner with Delores Must be some kind of sin
Like a Brontosaurus  She was packin' it in" -Prince

Prince_logo.png

27 March 2018
12.10am
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
4799sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m very much afraid of the second one, whereas death really doesn’t scare me at all (at least my own). I very much hope that my husband and I age well so that we can take care of ourselves, as well as each other.

Obligatory “I’m nowhere near 50”; that point’ll take a bit over 3 decades to reach.

The following people thank WeepingAtlasCedars for this post:

Beatlebug

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

27 March 2018
6.40am
TheWalrusWasBrian
fell off the roof AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2150

This is interesting… I don’t believe I’m at all afraid of death… (okie, my depression and anxiety may have a role in my opinion on death…) Anyroad! I want to be reincarnated! That sounds fab. 

When I get so old that I’m, ya know, really old, I wanna self mummify myself like those Buddhist monks*. 

*I really wanna be a Buddhist monk.

Oh, and I’m waaaay under 50. 

The following people thank TheWalrusWasBrian for this post:

Beatlebug

IMG_3978.PNG|badge1.png | I don’t know how to put it here. hello for the love of god hello 

~~~

The Concert for Bageldesh

~~~

Walrian here! Not Fiddy, or anyone else, actually.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694