Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
26 June 2017
12.16pm
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4561sp_Permalink sp_Print

A lot of the time, my mind always makes me focus on the bass for some reason (does this with Hey Bulldog and Badge by Cream for example.)

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Martha, ewe2

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

26 June 2017
3.30pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277
4562sp_Permalink sp_Print

Silly Girl said

As for the last question, both. a-hard-days-night-john-6The chord progression is just so achingly beautiful, it makes me wanna crya-hard-days-night-paul-10

Thanks for saying that, I agree 100% with you, this is so, so true in some cases!a-hard-days-night-george-9

I used to pay a lot of attention to the lead singer and also to the meaning of the lyrics. If there wasn’t a lead singer because it was maybe an orchestra piece I’d listen to the melody. But recently, I’ve gotten into bass and drums and there is a whole new world to discover if one not only pays attention to the melody. Therefore, I nowadays listen to bass and drums more closely in general but if I really like a song then I’ll listen to it one time just for the drums, another time for the harmonies, then for the bass, and so on to be able to appreciate every bit. After a few listens they add up to an overall picture, though, where every part is present at once and this is such a great feeling. At the same time, it means, however, that I barely know what a song is about if I don’t look up the lyrics because my focus is elsewhere…a-hard-days-night-paul-10ahdn_george_08

The following people thank Martha for this post:

Beatlebug, ewe2, SgtPeppersBulldog

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

27 June 2017
9.36pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
4563sp_Permalink sp_Print

Martha said
What do you pay attention to when you listen to music? 

Do you listen closely to a certain instrument or do you maybe concentrate on the lyrics of a song (if it’s a song)? Do you perceive the overall atmosphere of a music piece or do small snippets, like a drum fill or a chord in the guitar, strike you all the time? And if you were asked why you like a certain song so much would you be more likely to mention the emotions the song evokes in you or something like ‘it’s got an amazing chord progression’ as the main reason?  

I will hear a really good song the first time as a whole, it’s kind of my only bar now for quality because as a musician you often hear songs in parts more than wholes. Even favourite songs can get the parts reaction unless I’ve not heard or thought of the song for a while. Often I have to relisten to albums several times to appreciate the songs apart from the production. And with favourite songs I will listen to specific parts, most often bass because it’s bass, but also because a good song always has good bass. I’m often really bad with lyrics, I have to read them because my brain seems overwhelmed with the melody of the voice much of the time. Some songs are very emotive for me, others have a great bit that I love to anticipate, so I can listen to wholes and parts at the same time. I think the biggest problem for listening to music for me is that I have a radio station playing something in my head most of the time even if its some stupid repetitive thing I’ve made up while doing the dishes.  It also really depends on the genre: I often listen to tiny things in the background of dance/ambient tracks because they’re the little goodies that make those tracks special.

So to put all that in context, Radiohead’s gig at Glastonbury made it online of course and I watched it the other night. I know many of the songs, and half the interest was in how they were doing them live, some of the really ambient pieces were astonishing as live performances. But the really emotive part for me was that they did Let Down which they’ve only started to play again recently and I love that song on all levels, and can sing/play it (well not the high bit at the end, I’m no Thom Yorke).

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Martha, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

27 June 2017
9.39pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
4564sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like to pay attention to minute details that are hard to hear, such as the guitar part in Got To Get You Into My Life that isn’t the solo.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Martha

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

7 July 2017
7.22pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

Desert island song? (Sorry, the Abbey Road medley doesn’t count.)

Mine is ‘Echoes‘. Not just because it’s 23:31 minutes long, so I get more value for my money ahdn_ringo_09 but it’s also the single greatest piece of music I’ve ever heard. Out of all the many, many songs that I love, that one above all others I feel like I could listen to for the rest of my life.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

sir walter raleigh, Martha, QuarryMan

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

8 July 2017
5.41pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277
4566sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, that’s so hard!a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

Well, my favourite song of all time is I’m Only Sleeping but since it’s only three minutes long it could be really boring to listen to the same three minutes for the rest of my life. 

Maybe it would be a classical piece, probably the first movement of Tchaikovsky’s Sixth Symphony or of Sibelius violin concerto. Then again, I would miss the sound of human voices so maybe Us And Them, The Last Resort, or Lady Grinning Soul

However, now that I’ve listened to I’m Only Sleeping again, I’ve changed my mind: I could listen to it for the rest of my life.a-hard-days-night-john-6

Thanks, by the way,@Beatlebug for mentioning ‘Echoes’ – I love this song now!

The following people thank Martha for this post:

Beatlebug

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

8 July 2017
6.13pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
4567sp_Permalink sp_Print

Desert Island Song?

I’d rather take none than one as the one would only remind me of the others whereas I could eventually move on without any. Plus I’d be bored senseless of whatever I chose after the fifth listen.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 July 2017
6.43pm
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157
4568sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Desert Island Song?

I’d rather take none than one as the one would only remind me of the others whereas I could eventually move on without any. Plus I’d be bored senseless of whatever I chose after the fifth listen.  

Same here. But if I had to choose (at the time of speaking, anyways) , it’d probably be The Rolling Stones’ Ruby Tuesday.

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

8 July 2017
10.08pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4569sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have to agree with @meanmistermustard i would go with nothing, why even bring a song with you when you can sing, i could sing the entire Abbey Road album if i chose to do so, albeit not as good as The Beatles.

9 July 2017
7.03am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761

There’s a radio show called Desert Island Discs where celebrities/notable figures are interviewed and have to name 7 songs they would take to a desert island. Mine would be: 

1. In My Life – The Beatles (my favourite song of all time)

2. I Am The Resurrection – The Stone Roses 

3. Concerto For Flute And Harp – Mozart 

4. 1979 – Smashing Pumpkins 

5. Fifth Symphony – Beethoven 

6. There She Goes – The La’s 

7. Asleep – The Smiths 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

9 July 2017
7.32am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
4571sp_Permalink sp_Print

What would you play the songs on?

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

9 July 2017
8.50am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
4572sp_Permalink sp_Print

The beach?

a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

9 July 2017
9.07am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
4573sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m not sure about that, they don’t say which desered island, could be Appat island where the ‘beaches’ are cliffs

[Image Can Not Be Found]

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

9 July 2017
9.47am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

You have to build a record player when there; gives you something to do and some motivation to get moving. If ‘The A-Team’ can defeat heavily armed baddies with some watermelons and broken farm equipment surely you can build a record player with whatever you find on a desert island.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, BeatleSnut

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

9 July 2017
12.10pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
4575sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well some of these cuts are album only so having them in record format would mean I would have to have either their B/A sides or the rest of the album. Wouldn’t complain though. And I think you get a chosen form of player. 

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

9 July 2017
12.41pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4576sp_Permalink sp_Print

You get a specially compiled and pressed LP limited to 1 copy. 

If you ever get back to land you can then flog it to get money.

9 July 2017
1.16pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4577sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is a very easy way to make a record player, just tape a needle to a piece of paper rolled into a funnel, sounds crazy but it supposedly works.

10 July 2017
12.30am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
4578sp_Permalink sp_Print

Do people ever tell you that you speak with a noticeable accent?

For me, the answer is yes. When I go out-of-state, it happens. Back when I went to college in Missouri, people would always be pointing out my Chicago accent to me.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Beatlebug, Zig

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

10 July 2017
12.47am
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
4579sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 No, not really. However, one time I was talking to one of my friends, and she asked me if I/any of my family members were Irish. She said I sounded kind of like I was. Huh. a-hard-days-night-paul-10

The following people thank WeepingAtlasCedars for this post:

Beatlebug

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

10 July 2017
1.45am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4580sp_Permalink sp_Print

I get that a lot. Because I have a rather neutral accent, many people ask me if I’m Kiwi… no… blue-meanie

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Ahhh Girl
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694