Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
22 June 2017
4.36pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

meanmistermustard said
Does anyone have any approaches to life that they try to life by, I don’t mean be nice as we all should do that or get up each day and eat 43 raisins before 6:27am.

My two are:

No regrets. I try and do what I believe is the correct thing to do, after coming to the decision. It helps do things that otherwise I would deliberate over, never do for whatever reason, and look back at thinking what if, why and/or why didn’t I.

Take no offense, mean no offense. I’m always able to say the wrong thing at the wrong time in the wrong way but it’s never intended. I also aim to never take offense as it’s my choice in the end and it’s not worth it.  

I try to follow both of these things myself. I try to be remorseless because remorse makes you feel sad inside, I know that teachers are remorseless and that’s why I decided to try a no remorse attitude myself although sometimes it’s messed up to have no remorse over something so you have remorse over it.

I take no offense, you can call me whatever the hell you want and I won’t get offended. In fact, I think it’s stupid when people get offended over name calling because words don’t hurt people so why should I let it affect me, it’s not like he punched me in the face or is threatening to kill me, he just said something to me and words are just words.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

22 June 2017
4.46pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
4542sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t forget to appreciate every moment as you live it. Shine On like the moon, the stars, the sun, and crazy diamonds. The greatest thing you ever can do now / Is trade a smile with someone who’s blue nowDon’t waste your time or time will waste you. I’m fairly good at the first three but particularly bad at the last. 

Um, I guess that’s all. 

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars, ewe2

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

22 June 2017
4.54pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777

Less philosophical advice, but it changed my life. 

Drink 3 liters of water and every day. You feel more relaxed, energized, and are generally a happier person when you’re hydrated. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

22 June 2017
5.18pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198

When I drink water other than times I am very thirsty (like after doing yardwork or walking on my treadmill), it makes me sick to my stomach. I want to drink more water, but my system won’t tolerate it.

The Times when I can’t seem to care about myself, I remember that there are people out there that care about me.

I learned how to make small talk in work or social situations. People are glad that I break the ice in lots of situations. Don’t be afraid to take the first step.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Beatlebug, ewe2, Martha
22 June 2017
5.22pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
4545sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said
Less philosophical advice, but it changed my life. 

Drink 3 liters of water and every day. You feel more relaxed, energized, and are generally a happier person when you’re hydrated.   

I’ve always been in the habit if drinking lots of water. Can’t do without it now… I just don’t feel right. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

22 June 2017
5.42pm
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157

Apologies if this seems a bit dark, but here goes:

I try to stay true to my idea that violence is not the answer in most, if not all situations. I once accidentally punched some guy in my primary school because I thought he was laughing at me, and have pretty much taken it out on people when they do deliberately try and pick on me in the past. I believe in future, if I get verbally insulted by someone (very rare, but does happen) , I should try and throw something back, whether it be clever or not, even just give them two fingers behind their back if I’m that pissed off. I’d just want to get out of the situation and move on. After all, someone calling me a prick or whatever isn’t going to be bothering me this time next year.

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Beatlebug

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

22 June 2017
6.05pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
4547sp_Permalink sp_Print

Drinking too much water is bad. Each person has their amount of water they should drink.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, The Hole Got Fixed, Dark Overlord, WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

22 June 2017
7.20pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4548sp_Permalink sp_Print

We don’t want our BBers having water intoxication.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Martha, SgtPeppersBulldog, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

23 June 2017
1.47pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
4549sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stuff I know but just as easily forget in the moment:

– Wisdom is easy, practice is hard.

– Don’t be afraid to do the things that you are good at because the things you aren’t good at might be important to others. There isn’t time to figure this out, so just do.

– There’s a saying “it’s better to regret something you did than something you didn’t do”: no, regret is a form of self-pity and it’s indulgent. But you are only human, so notice it and move on.

– Every day, appreciate that you exist, it doesn’t matter how. 

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

Martha, SgtPeppersBulldog, The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

23 June 2017
6.59pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

Dark Overlord said

I try to follow both of these things myself. I try to be remorseless because remorse makes you feel sad inside, I know that teachers are remorseless and that’s why I decided to try a no remorse attitude myself although sometimes it’s messed up to have no remorse over something so you have remorse over it.

I take no offense, you can call me whatever the hell you want and I won’t get offended. In fact, I think it’s stupid when people get offended over name calling because words don’t hurt people, if someone calls me a gay fat f***, I’m not going to be physically hurt so why should I let it affect me, it’s not like he punched me in the face or is threatening to kill me, he just said something to me and words are just words.  

For the last time @Dark Overlord can you please not use such language on the forum regardless of the thread. We’ve asked you nice and kindly and now i’m stating it clearly – quit it. People of all ages, genders etc are on this forum and do not want to read it. Posts can and will be edited and/or will be deleted.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ahhh Girl, WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

23 June 2017
10.20pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers

Yes, we are down to much more serious warnings now DO. For those of you who think this type of conversation is better done by PM, sorry, that didn’t seem to work.

You were asked to dial it down, and in the next two days you use rape, intoxication, murder, incest, and a few other choice terms. I was really put out when you started the Love for Maxwell’s Silver Hammer thread. I wouldn’t have minded anyone else starting that thread, but it was almost as if since you couldn’t talk about your own rage, you found some way to bring up violence. If I am misreading your intent for starting that thread, look in the mirror because you brought it upon yourself.

You have used up all your chances.

Arguing with us about this course of action is not going to help you case.

In case anyone is wondering, the rest of you can feel free to post in the Philosophy thread. No one else is on the cusp of reprimand.

24 June 2017
8.27am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4552sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry, I didn’t think that using that as an example was going to stir so much stuff up meanmistermustard. I have no intention of arguing Ahhh Girl, although I didn’t make that thread to bring up violence but rather because I love the song.

24 June 2017
8.56am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
4553sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’ve been warned yet continue, what do you expect to happen?

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Dark Overlord, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 June 2017
10.00am
Pineapple Fields
Reading the news today, oh boy
The Jacaranda
Members
Forum Posts: 28
4554sp_Permalink sp_Print

Something that’s helped me in my short 17 years of life:

There’s times when you need to keep your mouth shut. Although there is an argument that foul language and terms are social constructs and shouldn’t be taken seriously, the fact of the matter is that they are. Because you can’t do anything to change this, I’ve found it’s best to look professional and not even attempt to say anything to offend someone whom I am not familiar with their background and values. 

Thought this was good advice, in no WAY AT ALL in reference to the previous several posts. a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank Pineapple Fields for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, Ahhh Girl, Dark Overlord, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, ewe2
24 June 2017
10.43am
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4555sp_Permalink sp_Print

Very well said, @Pineapple Fields. That advice will make your coming years go much more smoothly. You sound like a person I’d sit down and have a cup of hot chocolate with.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Pineapple Fields
24 June 2017
11.38am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4556sp_Permalink sp_Print

Great advice Pineapple Fields, I shouldn’t try to say anything risky. Also, I’m going to stop using examples that I wouldn’t say outside of the example.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Beatlebug

24 June 2017
1.29pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
4557sp_Permalink sp_Print

ewe2 said

– Every day, appreciate that you exist, it doesn’t matter how.   

Thank @ewe2 for echoing my sentiments. a-hard-days-night-george-9 john-lennon-salute_gif a-hard-days-night-george-10

ewe2

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

26 June 2017
8.01am
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277
4558sp_Permalink sp_Print

What do you pay attention to when you listen to music? 

Do you listen closely to a certain instrument or do you maybe concentrate on the lyrics of a song (if it’s a song)? Do you perceive the overall atmosphere of a music piece or do small snippets, like a drum fill or a chord in the guitar, strike you all the time? And if you were asked why you like a certain song so much would you be more likely to mention the emotions the song evokes in you or something like ‘it’s got an amazing chord progression’ as the main reason?

The following people thank Martha for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

26 June 2017
9.07am
Beatlebug

Moderators
4559sp_Permalink sp_Print

Excellent question, @Martha!

I must say when I first listen to a song, the only thing I hear is the overall mood. Then, with repeated listens, I will begin to pay attention to guitar parts, drumming, etc. By the time I’ve heard something enough times to have it more or less memorised, there will be certain bits — a fill, a particular guitar lick, some random sound — that continue to stick out to me.

As for the last question, both. a-hard-days-night-john-6 ‘The chord progression is just so achingly beautiful, it makes me wanna cry’ a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Martha

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

26 June 2017
9.46am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
4560sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hear the drums, sometimes my brain will disect the drum beats like for example I would sometimes hear: highhat, snare+highhat, highhat, Highhat+kick and the rest fades away.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug, Martha, WeepingAtlasCedars

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690