Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
The All-Purpose Getting-To-Know-BBers Questions Thread
30 March 2017
10.23am
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1808
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4261sp_Permalink sp_Print

Martha said
What do you enjoy more: listening to an album or a song for the first time or for the second/third/… time? (hope this has not been asked before)  

For albums, first time. I never know what I’m going to get, and if there’s a really awesome song that suddenly comes on, it’s like a piece of heaven.

Same for songs.

(Don’t worry about asking double questions, I don’t think anyone really cares that much.)

The following people thank Evangeline for this post:

Martha

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

30 March 2017
11.23am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
4262sp_Permalink sp_Print

Depends on the artist. I’ll like Beatles/Beach Boys /whatever the first time. One artist that comes to mind that I usually don’t like the first time is of Montreal. Every time there’s a new song/album by them, I hate it the first time I hear it. That band’s music is always a grower for me.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Martha, SgtPeppersBulldog

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

30 March 2017
3.29pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4263sp_Permalink sp_Print

The second time. It is still very new, but I pay more attention to detail, thus usually like it more.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Martha

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

30 March 2017
3.56pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277
4264sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for the answers. I normally enjoy the third to fifth time the most because my little brain is not able to appreciate amazing music right away, normally. Only when I listen to them again I understand how great they are really. All of my favourite songs were ones that I initially hated or didn’t care about. Funnily though, out of all songs I liked Revolution 9 immediately.

The following people thank Martha for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

30 March 2017
6.53pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
4265sp_Permalink sp_Print

Evangeline said

For albums, first time. I never know what I’m going to get, and if there’s a really awesome song that suddenly comes on, it’s like a piece of heaven.

Same. 

Conversely, if I buy an artisit’s album because I like a song I’ve heard, it’s incredibly disappointing if the rest of the album sucks wind.

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Martha

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

30 March 2017
6.54pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
4266sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like hearing the music for the third + time. I must like it if I’ve listened to it that much. And the songs are more a part of what makes up me by then.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Martha, Beatlebug
30 March 2017
9.36pm
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
4267sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think I generally like hearing music the second, third, etc. time. A good bunch of stuff that I love now, I didn’t like when I first heard it. For example, the first time I ever listened to Physical Graffiti, I didn’t really care for anything but Kashmir and, oddly enough…

…Boogie With Stu. a-hard-days-night-john-7 Now, PG is one of my favourites. There were similar situations with Presence and Hats Off to (Roy) Harper from III.

The following people thank WeepingAtlasCedars for this post:

Martha, Beatlebug

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

31 March 2017
5.33pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
4268sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good question @Martha. I am absolutely one of those people who needs to listen to a thing a dozen times before appreciating it properly. The more times I’ve heard it, the more I love it. I rarely really love anything the first listen.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Martha

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

31 March 2017
6.39pm
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157
4269sp_Permalink sp_Print

Individual songs for the first time always impress me. It’s usually something long and solemn like The Long And Winding Road or Jealous Guy which earns my full respect second/third/etc. times around.

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Martha

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

31 March 2017
6.54pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
4270sp_Permalink sp_Print

It took me about 25 listens to Rain before I appreciated it… I think that’s my record. 

Martha

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

31 March 2017
10.53pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
4271sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Martha said
What do you enjoy more: listening to an album or a song for the first time or for the second/third/… time? (hope this has not been asked before)  

I can never fully appreciate an album after the first listen. I need at least like 5.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

Beatlebug, Martha, ewe2

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

31 March 2017
11.04pm
Expert Textpert
In bed.
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5011
4272sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said
It took me about 25 listens to Rain before I appreciated it… I think that’s my record.   

That’s one that I liked immediately, before I was really even into The Beatles.

The following people thank Expert Textpert for this post:

William Shears Campbell, William Shears Campbell, The Hole Got Fixed, Martha, Zig

"If you're ever in the shit, grab my tit.” —Paul McCartney 

31 March 2017
11.55pm
limitlessundyinglove
At the local Bird and Bee
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 347

For me it usually varies from record to record really.  Sometimes I’ll be absolutely enthralled on the first listen, but other times it’ll take me quite a while to really like an album.  A good example of something I fell in love with immediately is Wilco’s Summerteeth.  It just kind of sucks you in somehow, and it is still my favorite Wilco album by far.  But with an album like say, Clouds Taste Metallic by The Flaming Lips, it took me 3 or 4 listens for it to become one of my favorites.  I also seem to find myself liking some things less the more I hear them.

The following people thank limitlessundyinglove for this post:

Martha

Grooving some cookie spaghetti since 1968.

2 April 2017
2.14pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
4274sp_Permalink sp_Print

For me albums need one or two instantly impressive songs to make me want to go back to it, if they don’t exist I’ll throw the whole damn thing out. If nothing else stands out on the second listen then I’m gone taking the select tracks with me. I’ve no interest on hearing an album 4 or 5 times before making a decision.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Martha

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

5 April 2017
12.32pm
meanmrswalrus
St Peters Church
Members
Forum Posts: 14
4275sp_Permalink sp_Print

Martha said

I guess it depends on the album in question. The most extreme case was The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis. It took me a year and several tries before I really enjoyed it. One of the quickest examples was Queen II. Loved everything from beginning to end.

The following people thank meanmrswalrus for this post:

Martha
6 April 2017
6.11am
HappyHaggis
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 166

Martha said

Like others here, it depends on the record, but also on how I’m listening. If I’m using headphones I find the experience can be very different from listening through the speakers. A track that springs to mind is Baby Driver from Bridge Over Troubled Water, the roaring engine passing through my head was amazing through the ‘phones, but nowhere near as good with my speakers. For the most part, I find I prefer 2nd or 3rd time around.

The following people thank HappyHaggis for this post:

Beatlebug, Martha, SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars
6 April 2017
12.53pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277
4277sp_Permalink sp_Print

HappyHaggis said

Martha said

Like others here, it depends on the record, but also on how I’m listening. If I’m using headphones I find the experience can be very different from listening through the speakers. A track that springs to mind is Baby Driver from Bridge Over Troubled Water, the roaring engine passing through my head was amazing through the ‘phones, but nowhere near as good with my speakers. For the most part, I find I prefer 2nd or 3rd time around.  

I couldn’t have said it better @HappyHaggis ! What’s especially annoying is the constant background sound of your environment while you listen to a brilliant song with many small details. 

The following people thank Martha for this post:

HappyHaggis, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

7 April 2017
11.56pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
4278sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a question for people who have had forum-related dreams. 

How do you picture people who don’t show pictures of themselves? Do you just make up stuff? Do you picture people the way you would imagine them to be? 

This question is especially intended for Annadog40, but anyone who has ever had a Beatles Bible dream can answer. 

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

8 April 2017
12.22am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
4279sp_Permalink sp_Print

My mind makes it up. I mean, in my dream last night, Joe looked like he was about 60 and sir walter raleigh about 50, which obviously both ages are ludicrous. Though I can’t speak for anyone else.

Beatlebug

aus-flag-v-small.png

8 April 2017
12.52am
WeepingAtlasCedars
Gelzelha, The Void
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 2699
4280sp_Permalink sp_Print

I sometimes have them pictured they way I imagine them to look like (like this one dream where Silly Girl was a little older and taller than me and had long, black wavy hair), but more often than not they’re their avatar (or some form of it; for example in more or less all the dreams where Ahhh Girl has appeared, she looked like the Paul in her avatar). Otherwise, they appear as they actually are.

The following people thank WeepingAtlasCedars for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, Beatlebug

"WeepyC came into the fray as the premier Jimmy Page fan, and will remain." - sir walter raleigh

2016 & 2017: Username-Badge.png

2020: Creative-Contribution-2020.pngFunniest-Post-2020.pngMost-Likely-to-Cheer-Somebody-Up-in-a-Bad-Mood-2020.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690