Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
We Can Work It Out - Politics & Philosophy
26 February 2021
12.37am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

What do Forumpudlians think of Lady Gaga offering a $500,000 “no questions asked” reward for information leading to the return of two of her dogs stolen during an attack which saw her dog-walker shot in the chest?

Her dog-walker was shot in the chest, and her only interest is her dogs, not capturing the person/people who shot someone she knows? WTF?

Shouldn’t she really be offering a $500,000 reward for information leading to the conviction of the person who shot her employee and the return of her dogs?

For me there’s something lacking in thinking the return of the dogs is more important than catching the shooter who stole the dogs, and if she does get the dogs back by paying half a million dollar, she’s likely to be paying – via a go-between – the person/people who stole the dogs and shot someone.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

vonbontee, Dark Overlord

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

26 February 2021
1.52am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
2262sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lady Gaga isn’t law enforcement. If I were her, I would also be more concerned with being reunited with my babies than revenge being brought onto the person who did that. It’s not like that’s going to heal the dog walker. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

26 February 2021
3.59am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690
2263sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess she has the right to not care. But it’s kinda fucked up.

the watusi

the twist

26 February 2021
8.51am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2264sp_Permalink sp_Print

While it’s certainly messed up that she’s more concerned about her dogs than her employee, she knows the whereabouts of her employee whereas she doesn’t about her dogs. However, if her employee was also kidnapped and she still only cared about finding her dogs, then she would be clearly in the wrong.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

26 February 2021
9.52am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
2265sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is no guarantee that finding the culprits of the shooting and kidnap will bring her dogs back so why not? I haven’t read any of the news articles but for all I know Ms Gaga is paying all medical bills for the dog walker and the police have detailed descriptions of the criminals and are far on in their investigation. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

26 February 2021
9.12pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2266sp_Permalink sp_Print

Revenge is overrated. It is better to focus on getting dogs back.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Von Bontee, CakeMaestor

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

26 February 2021
10.38pm
sigh butterfly
Sea of Green (near the Golden Gate)
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4798
2267sp_Permalink sp_Print

BREAKING NEWS

Lady Gaga’s dogs recovered safely

STEFANIE DAZIO
Fri, February 26, 2021, 6:51 PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Lady Gaga’s two French bulldogs, which were stolen by thieves who shot and wounded the dogwalker, were recovered unharmed Friday, Los Angeles police said.

A woman brought the dogs to the LAPD’s Olympic Community Police Station, just northwest of downtown, around 6 p.m, said Capt. Jonathan Tippett, commanding officer of the elite Robbery-Homicide Division.

Lady Gaga’s representative and detectives went to the station and confirmed that they were the dogs.

The singer is currently in Rome to film a movie.

The woman who dropped off the dogs appears to be “”uninvolved and unassociated” with Wednesday night’s attack, Tippett said.

It wasn’t immediately clear how she obtained the dogs.

The dog walker, Ryan Fischer, was shot once as he walked three of the singer’s dogs in Hollywood. Video showed a white sedan pulling up and two men jumping out. They struggled with the dog walker before one pulled a gun and fired a single shot before fleeing with two of the dogs.

The dog walker can be heard on the video saying he had been shot in the chest. Tippett said he is expected to survive his injuries.

Lady Gaga on Friday repeated her offer of a $500,000 reward for the return of her dogs — whose names are Koji and Gustav — with no questions asked.

“I continue to love you Ryan Fischer, you risked your life to fight for our family. You’re forever a hero,” she said in an Instagram post.

You and I have memories
Longer than the road that stretches out ahead

27 February 2021
2.37pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
2268sp_Permalink sp_Print

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

27 February 2021
3.21pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5448
2269sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m happy for her and her dogs, and would also be happy if she donated an additional half-million to committed safe-gun-laws organizations.

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

27 February 2021
6.17pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2270sp_Permalink sp_Print

We don’t even know who did, let alone how they got their gun and whether or not they have a criminal record and or a history of mental illness, so it’d be very strange to use this as an excuse to donate half a million dollars to an organization that supports gun control when we don’t even know if any kind of gun control (short of a total gun ban, which is an extremely dangerous idea) would’ve stopped this shooting.

If anything, she should be using this to fight for universal healthcare. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ryan’s medical bills are more expensive than the bounty she placed on her dogs and if it weren’t for Lady Gaga’s wealth and generosity, Ryan could’ve gone bankrupt over this.

1 March 2021
3.00am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Von Bontee said

What am I looking for here, there is no eyeroll?

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 March 2021
9.00pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444
2272sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guy shaking his head appears to be rolling his eyes at the end there, possibly, but I wasn’t sure. 

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

12 March 2021
10.44am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2273sp_Permalink sp_Print

Should political parties use litmus tests?

Personally, i think it depends on the issue. For example, many people on both sides use abortion as a litmus test. In this case i think it’s wrong because ~1/3 of Republicans support Roe V. Wade and ~1/2 of Democrats support the Hyde Amendment and abortion isn’t critical to how either party works.

However, the Republicans are supposed to believe in deregulation, low taxes, and a limited government whereas the Democrats are supposed to believe in government protections to help your average person. Yet because we don’t have litmus tests on important economic issues, we have Republicans who support such “limited government” ideas as warrantless spying and wars without a clear objective and Democrats who support such “government protections” as outsourcing your jobs overseas and leaving healthcare to the free market.

If we can purge people like Lindsey Graham and Joe Biden out of parties whose ideals they don’t represent, we would greatly improve both parties and as much as i despise Colin Powell and Howard Schultz, i greatly appreciate them voluntarily doing just that.

12 March 2021
1.29pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2274sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why do you keep bringing up abortions if you don’t want to talk about it.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

12 March 2021
4.59pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2275sp_Permalink sp_Print

It wasn’t meant to be the main point of the topic, i was just giving an instance where i think a litmus test would be a bad idea, as both parties regularly give off the false illusion that their constituents take a strong stance on the issue.

Also, i never said that i didn’t want to talk about the subject, i just pulled the plug on that specific conversation because i was worried that specific conversation was starting to turn sour and TBH i came out of that conversation with a completely different outlook on the issue but didn’t want to pull out the white flag.

13 March 2021
11.21am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2276sp_Permalink sp_Print

I feel a litmus test would be a hugely reductive approach, @Dark Overlord. Political parties work best when they encompass a big tent of opinion, allowing for dissent and debate within the party to arrive at policy positions, along with future direction.

When parties reduce those things you need to believe to be counted as a representative of that political viewpoint, the more you narrow the debate, silencing dissenting voices along the way. Political parties constantly change their approach and intent on how to institute certain of their policies depending on the political climate and circumstances of the time, changes often brought about by those not necessarily among the most mainstream voices in their party at the time, and their voices are often the ones that allow a party to react to a situation that responding to properly, such as Covid-19, is outside the ideology of that party.

Isn’t it only really parties like the Chinese Communist Party and whatever Putin’s party is called in Russia that do political purges on party membership based on ideology, which is more-or-less your suggestion, often very bloodily? Is that really the example we should be looking to?

The narrower and more ideological the choices become, the narrower become the choices the public has because the debate has been stilled. It’s how we lose democracy.

Dark Overlord

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 March 2021
1.12pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2277sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good point @Ron Nasty but regarding your 3rd paragraph:

Isn’t it only really parties like the Chinese Communist Party and whatever Putin’s party is called in Russia that do political purges on party membership based on ideology, which is more-or-less your suggestion, often very bloodily? Is that really the example we should be looking to?

Not really. First of all, the word bloodily is a strange word to use as i’m only talking about party expulsion, not killing them.

But it’s not just the really bad parties that do these purges. In fact, the Whigs expelled president John Tyler in 1841 after vetoing a large number of bills supported by the party.

The narrower and more ideological the choices become, the narrower become the choices the public has because the debate has been stilled. It’s how we lose democracy.

You’re not wrong but at the same time, becoming too much of a big tent leads to the situation we’re in now where the establishment of both US parties have more in common with each other than they do with their own constituents.

21 May 2021
8.08am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2278sp_Permalink sp_Print

How would you fix our educational system. For me, there’s a lot i’d do:

For math, i’d ban the use of calculators. Using a calculator isn’t that different from just typing the question into Google and i want to ensure that children can do math equations without the use of technology.

For social studies, i’d want to ensure that everything’s taught from a neutral but also pacifistic standpoint. While i want to keep everything politically neutral to avoid teachers presenting things using their personal bias, i also want to ensure that fighting is kept to a minimum, which is harder to do if schools are praising our troops. Instead, are schools should be saying something along the lines of “While it’s terrible what happened on that day, it’s unfortunate that we decided to respond with violence instead of diplomacy and i hope you don’t make the same mistakes they did”.

Also, i’d love to see a larger emphasis on current events and i’d love for teachers to be more accepting of Wikipedia, while also emphasizing the importance of reading the sources at the bottom of each page and using those as sources instead of Wikipedia itself.

For English, i’d want to see more emphasis on classic literature like Dracula and Frankenstein, as well as a more diverse set of literature including works from Africa, Asia, and the Americas.

Also, i want to ensure that ALL Americans can speak English fluently. Don’t get me wrong, i’m fine with people speaking their native language but English is the American language and i want to ensure that immigrants don’t have a language barrier when entering the real world.

For science, i’d like to see a larger emphasis on current discoveries. Also, i’d like to see science cut back and merged with a life skills class that would teach you important life skills like how to pay rent, how to shop at a grocery store, how to file your taxes (for some reason, they never teach you this in school), and how to use an oven.

For lunch, i want EVERYONE to get a free lunch (i don’t care whether your father makes $1B/year, you’re still covered) and that free lunch won’t contain any nuts, eggs, dairy, fish, soy, or gluten to ensure that no one has an allergic reaction, with being given water instead of milk. Also, we won’t give kids anything they didn’t ask for because we want to minimize food waste and if you force a kid to take a fruit or vegetable with every meal, there’s a good chance they’ll just throw it away.

As for parents deciding to make their own kid’s lunches, that’s fine and they can bring anything they want (with obvious exceptions). However, they’ll be forced to sit in a special room if the food (which’ll be vetted by staff every day) contains nuts, eggs, dairy, fish, soy, or gluten.

For gym, there’s not much to change here except that i wouldn’t require students to change their clothes.

However, for health, i’d like to see less emphasis on what to eat and more emphasis on how much to eat and how to offset it with exercise. Contrary to popular belief, you can actually LOSE weight by eating nothing but fast food, as British scientist Phil Mason learned when he continued to lose weight despite eating nothing but McDonalds. Also, i’d like to see them talk more about the downsides of recreational marijuana use (which isn’t as bad as harder drugs but is still addictive, terrible for your lungs, dangerous to use while driving, and stunts brain development).

For the rest of the classes, you might not like what i’m about to say but hear me out, we should cut them entirely. First of all, they’ll be learning about art in English and social studies and music in science and math but most importantly, school is not a pleasant place to be at and i don’t want people to lose interest in are and music because they didn’t enjoy art or music class.

As for other things, i’d forgo homework, as it’s just a waste of time that could be spent in a more productive manner, and i’d also look into the potential racism and misandry in our education system, as it seems like white women do the best while black men do the worst in our current system, and do anything i can to ensure that everyone has a quality education, regardless of race.

Finally, the statistics on special ed should also be looked into, as 14% of students are currently in special ed, with some areas and demographics being higher than others.

21 May 2021
11.00am
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 767
2279sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interesting ideas. Mind if I give a few of my own pointers?

Dark Overlord said
How would you fix our educational system. For me, there’s a lot i’d do:

For math, i’d ban the use of calculators. Using a calculator isn’t that different from just typing the question into Google and i want to ensure that children can do math equations without the use of technology.

I can assure you that this would be an absolute disaster. The main use of calculators is not to help students solve equations, but rather to reduce the amount of time it takes for a single calculation. For example, a simple part of a question where you have to solve 2.5 / 4.325. You would theoretically be able to get a close enough answer, but you might as well use a calculator since it’s much more effecient.

For social studies, i’d want to ensure that everything’s taught from a neutral but also pacifistic standpoint. While i want to keep everything politically neutral to avoid teachers presenting things using their personal bias, i also want to ensure that fighting is kept to a minimum, which is harder to do if schools are praising our troops. Instead, are schools should be saying something along the lines of “While it’s terrible what happened on that day, it’s unfortunate that we decided to respond with violence instead of diplomacy and i hope you don’t make the same mistakes they did”.

I agree, for the most part. There is, however, the issue of whether true neutrality can be maintained, though this is less of the idea itself and more with how it applies in the real world.

Also, i’d love to see a larger emphasis on current events and i’d love for teachers to be more accepting of Wikipedia, while also emphasizing the importance of reading the sources at the bottom of each page and using those as sources instead of Wikipedia itself.

Generally I think most teachers don’t mind that you use Wikipedia, as long as you actually use the references down there, though this may be different in your part of the world.

For English, i’d want to see more emphasis on classic literature like Dracula and Frankenstein, as well as a more diverse set of literature including works from Africa, Asia, and the Americas.

Now, I love literature as much as the next guy, but it pains me to say but…. not a lotta people like reading. It is a travesty, I know. I heard from some of my peers (back when I was actually pretty social) what their thoughts on reading is, and their response is generally “I do respect people that can enjoy it, but it’s not my thing.”. More kids seem to enjoy modern pop culture more than ye olde classics, and I don’t think it’s gonna change. My suggestion is to have English classes have students dissect their favorite parts of modern culture, such as movies and TV shows. This will give them much more enjoyment in classes, while potentially opening the door to other more niche parts of storytelling, like classic literature. For example, a teacher can give a short run down on ‘The Hero’s Journey’, and then have students do an analysis on the shows they watched and then do a presentation to the class. Not sure how it’ll actually work out, but it’s worth a shot, I guess.

Also, i want to ensure that ALL Americans can speak English fluently. Don’t get me wrong, i’m fine with people speaking their native language but English is the American language and i want to ensure that immigrants don’t have a language barrier when entering the real world.

For science, i’d like to see a larger emphasis on current discoveries. Also, i’d like to see science cut back and merged with a life skills class that would teach you important life skills like how to pay rent, how to shop at a grocery store, how to file your taxes (for some reason, they never teach you this in school), and how to use an oven.

For lunch, i want EVERYONE to get a free lunch (i don’t care whether your father makes $1B/year, you’re still covered) and that free lunch won’t contain any nuts, eggs, dairy, fish, soy, or gluten to ensure that no one has an allergic reaction, with being given water instead of milk. Also, we won’t give kids anything they didn’t ask for because we want to minimize food waste and if you force a kid to take a fruit or vegetable with every meal, there’s a good chance they’ll just throw it away.

As for parents deciding to make their own kid’s lunches, that’s fine and they can bring anything they want (with obvious exceptions). However, they’ll be forced to sit in a special room if the food (which’ll be vetted by staff every day) contains nuts, eggs, dairy, fish, soy, or gluten.

Not much of an argument here, though I’d like to know how recent are the current discoveries you are reffering to. 

For gym, there’s not much to change here except that i wouldn’t require students to change their clothes.

Jocks smell, dude.

However, for health, i’d like to see less emphasis on what to eat and more emphasis on how much to eat and how to offset it with exercise. Contrary to popular belief, you can actually LOSE weight by eating nothing but fast food, as British scientist Phil Mason learned when he continued to lose weight despite eating nothing but McDonalds. Also, i’d like to see them talk more about the downsides of recreational marijuana use (which isn’t as bad as harder drugs but is still addictiveterrible for your lungsdangerous to use while driving, and stunts brain development).

I do very much agree on the marijuana bit, but I don’t think marijuana companies would like the idea too much. Also, not sure if this is true, but I heard that education’s stance on marijuana borderlines on fear-mongering, so I’m not sure if it the downside message needs to be toned down or up.

For the rest of the classes, you might not like what i’m about to say but hear me out, we should cut them entirely. First of all, they’ll be learning about art in English and social studies and music in science and math but most importantly, school is not a pleasant place to be at and i don’t want people to lose interest in are and music because they didn’t enjoy art or music class.

I mean, I kinda get what you’re hinting at, but I don’t know if I agree or not. I mean I understand the desire to eliminate classes that students think are just a distraction from the ‘important subjects’, like maths and science, but I think you can only go one way or the other when it comes to this, by that I mean you let them be or eliminate the ‘lesser’ classes altogether. Science and maths are already incredibly dense and and information heavy, and adding stuff like music into it feels like a worse solution to an existing problem. English and art feels too disparate to even put together in the same course. So I don’t think this approach will work well. Also there are entire NGOs that exist solely to make sure the arts are properly funded and not forgotten in schools around the world, so obviously they think very differently. But then again, this question is a complicated one in the first place, so a universally agreed upon solution is pretty hard to attain, anyway.

As for other things, i’d forgo homework, as it’s just a waste of time that could be spent in a more productive manner, and i’d also look into the potential racism and misandry in our education system, as it seems like white women do the best while black men do the worst in our current system, and do anything i can to ensure that everyone has a quality education, regardless of race.

Ah, homework, this one’s a kicker. I’ve lost count the amount of times I heard this one in a high-school debate session, and I don’t mean it in a patronizing way, it is probably the most controversial part of the entire education system. Frankly, I’m as neutral as one can get when it comes to homework, though personally I’m more of a practice-solutions-and-get-better student, so homework seems to have helped me as a wee lad. The race-education disparity bit is also another kicker, since it seems to exist as a problem with no pinpoint cause nor solution in sight. The only thing I can really say is to put more emphasis on lifting up the lower-income-percentile when it comes to standards of living and education and whatnot, but nothing else really. 

Finally, the statistics on special ed should also be looked into, as 14% of students are currently in special ed, with some areas and demographics being higher than others. 

I mean, this one’s not really that controversial. Helping disadvantaged people is always nice. 

Just my two cents, do feel free to tell me what you think. 

P.S: The obvious solution to the music problem is to make kids sing and play Beatles tunes. If every single student can play “All You Need Is Love ” in a mega youth concert, we can achieve world peace. I have a ten-page proposal on a year-long Beatles music course for IGCSE students for Year 7 to 9. 

We do a little trolling

- Faul

21 May 2021
1.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

I find the history of US cannabis laws most interesting, @Dark Overlord; their racist roots and outcome. You say, of cannabis:

Also, i’d like to see them talk more about the downsides of recreational marijuana use (which isn’t as bad as harder drugs but is still addictive, terrible for your lungs, dangerous to use while driving, and stunts brain development).

Switch lungs to liver and you’re describing alcohol. I consider them roughly equivalent drugs.

What’s the difference between mental health issues brought about by the (mis)use of alcohol and cannabis?

Yet the use of alcohol is perfectly acceptable, with those for who it becomes a problem treated by the health system, whilst the mere possession of cannabis can lead to criminalisation.

Since both are as damaging, would you support alcohol being made a Schedule I drug as cannabis is? Prohibition didn’t work so well first time around, and isn’t working with cannabis. All of those tax dollars wasted on fighting an unwinnable war, instead of treating those it badly affects within the health system, same as we do for alcohol.

I may have some thoughts on your thoughts about the US education system, really your thoughts on education in general, as most of the Western democracies have similar curriculum, with a few exceptions – like the varying levels of nationalism/patriotism (depending on your view) allowed with school walls.

Ooo, think I’ll definitely have some thoughts…

But, apologies, right now, it’s payday, I have a beer in one hand and a joint in the other (not literally right now… I keep needing to put them down to type…), and am heading into (currently on the third disc) the 31 volume, 62 disc The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions (which it ain’t but what you gonna do? mccartney-shrug_01_gif ) at the beginning of a Beatles weekend.

Some bits of that may, or may not, be true. ahdn_john_08_gifa-hard-days-night-george-10

I like Bill’s Lennon reference, that for any that watch the videos.

sir walter raleigh

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691