Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
We Can Work It Out - Politics & Philosophy
31 December 2020
5.00pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2241sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said

AppleScruffJunior said

They’ve also had problem with side effects with male hormonal contraceptives- lower sex drives, acne, mood swings, fortunately female hormonal contraceptives does none of those things. Am I right?!?

yet for some reason, people call women the delicate/weak gender. pattie-boyd_02_gif

Yeah but have you ever been kicked in the balls, SS? ?

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Vera Chuck and Dave

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

31 December 2020
5.01pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2242sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ya got me there

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Vera Chuck and Dave

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

31 December 2020
5.15pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2243sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

Dark Overlord said
What are your thoughts on copyright? I think 50 years seems like a reasonable compromise. This way, people can profit off their work for a long time and the Public Domain gets better works, including The Beatles entire discography (not counting Free As A Bird and Real Love ).

We’ve had this discussion before, @Dark Overlord, and I couldn’t disagree more.

It’s easy to question whether those at the top of the tree who have amassed fortunes in the multi-millions still need the royalties rolling in from 50-year-old recordings, but they only account for a tiny percentage of artists who have had success. For many more, who have had some to moderate success, their annual royalty check – and often it amounts to no more than a few thousand, if that – helps them keep their heads above water. Many artists consider their royalties as their pension, and you want to take away their pensions.

Also, why should Paul lose the rights to and income from their work, while someone like Bill Gates keeps the rights to and income from his work?

For those who are living of a one hit wonder they made in the 1960’s, it’s their fault for not taking personal responsibility by getting a job to ensure that they can continue to earn money after their work enters the public domain (which was 56 years back then, so it’s not like they were expecting to own the rights to their work for 95 years).

Also, creativity blossoms from the public domain. Take Disney for example. Despite being the very people behind these copyright extensions, Disney greatly benefited from the public domain whether it be The Three Little Pigs, Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Cinderella, Treasure Island, and many more. Another great example is Night Of The Living Dead, which was immediately placed into the public domain upon release because the distributor forgot to place a copyright indication on the prints. Due to that error, the film has been colorized multiple times, restored in 4K, and even converted to 3D and on top of all that, it’s much easier for people to watch then most movies from that era since it can be seen in full in high quality on YouTube.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

31 December 2020
6.01pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
2244sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
They’ve also had problem with side effects with male hormonal contraceptives- lower sex drives, acne, mood swings, fortunately female hormonal contraceptives does none of those things. Am I right?!?

Yes, it is so fun that women are expected to take pills that make them angry and emotional over nothing. What a nice way to live my life. I love it. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

7 January 2021
2.26pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2245sp_Permalink sp_Print

Given the events in Washington yesterday, one has to wonder on what the future holds for the Republicans, and whether we could see the party split. Many traditional Republicans, whichever degree of right they they are on, including Trump supporters, were appalled by what they witnessed.

Trump’s son had a line in the rally before the riot about the Republicans no longer being what they have been historically, but how they are now “Trump’s Republicans”. Trump does this line about how he got 74+ million votes. He didn’t. While possible that the majority of those voters voted because Trump was the candidate, there’s no doubt that many traditional Republicans – as in 2016 – voted with a heavy heart for the Republican presidential candidate, and regretting it was Trump.

With so many Trump supporters critical of mainstream party, and with the party having to decide how it responds to this, and not looking likely to stand by Trump on the evidence so far, could the party split between the Republicans and the Trumpublicans?

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 January 2021
6.08pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2246sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t normally post in this thread but I figure I’ll make an exception.

I think that the Republicans are damned if they do and damned if they don’t – impeach him to prevent him running in 2024, and there will be many die-hard Trumpers who simply won’t vote – handing a large victory to the dems. If they don’t, Trump will either try to get the nomination for the Republicans – which I’d be surprised if he won it, as there are enough republicans who don’t want to go down this path again – or run 3rd party. If he runs 3rd party, we’ll see a massive split of the right-wing vote, meaning it would be a democrat landslide – probably winning states like Missouri, South Carolina, Kansas and Indiana, which otherwise are safe red states.

The republicans will know this, and I’m fascinated to see how they handle this.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Vera Chuck and Dave, Dark Overlord

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

7 January 2021
7.18pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2247sp_Permalink sp_Print

If Trump was impeached, the hardline would complain but they know how the system works and would still vote republican.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

7 January 2021
7.20pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2248sp_Permalink sp_Print

If it weren’t for the raid, i think Trump could’ve became the next Grover Cleveland and won a 2nd non-consecutive term. However, since Trump has embarrassed the GOP by provoking his supporters to storm the capitol building, the only chance they have at winning is either by distancing themselves from Trump as much as possible without outright condemning him or by propping up the Green Party, causing a spoiler effect.

As for impeachment, i don’t think that will be necessary, as Trump has pledged a peaceful transition of power and even if he wins the GOP nomination in 2024 (which is unlikely at this point), Joe Biden can easily prove himself to be the law and order candidate and comfortably win re-election.

8 January 2021
10.58am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3752
2249sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t think there’s any going back. It’s Trump’s party now, and if it’s not run in the way his supporters like they’ll destroy it.

“While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I’m a naysayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I’ll gladly take another - because I choose to live my life in the company of Ghandi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. I love you, Sheriff Truman.”

8 January 2021
9.23pm
Vera Chuck and Dave
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 598

impeaching him would mean he can’t run in 2024 and he won’t get full Secret Service detail

sounds alright to me

8 January 2021
9.49pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2251sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
I don’t think there’s any going back. It’s Trump’s party now, and if it’s not run in the way his supporters like they’ll destroy it.

Sure but his base is dwindling, mostly because he’s burning bridges with many of his closest supporters like Mike Pence and Ted Cruz but also because a chunk of his base is pissed that he promised a peaceful transition of power.

9 January 2021
11.57am
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2252sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

QuarryMan said

Sure but his base is dwindling, mostly because he’s burning bridges with many of his closest supporters like Mike Pence and Ted Cruz but also because a chunk of his base is pissed that he promised a peaceful transition of power.

Did you not read about the whole Wednesday situation? I would hardly call his base “dwindling–” I think “mobilized” would be a better word.

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

9 January 2021
1.02pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2253sp_Permalink sp_Print

I came to that conclusion from reading articles like this and this but considering that Trump supporters are possibly planning further attacks, this must either be a small minority of Trump’s hardcore base or they were just saying this and haven’t actually turned on Trump. Still, even if Trump still has his hardcore base, that’s ALL he has at this point since your average Republican would rather have someone like Ben Shapiro who’s rhetoric won’t incite violence.

10 January 2021
1.24am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
2254sp_Permalink sp_Print

For those he has lost, he will have gained those who just want to see and cause chaos. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 January 2021
3.51pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2255sp_Permalink sp_Print

The New York Times is reporting that current Senate majority leader, Republican Mitch McConnell, has said he believes President Trump has committed impeachable offenses. If shown to be true, completely changes the prospect of Trump being convicted by the Senate when/if an impeachment trial is held as, if McConnell has broken with him, it gives other Republicans the signal that the GOP are wanting to rid the party of the stain of Trump.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Vera Chuck and Dave

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 January 2021
9.20am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2256sp_Permalink sp_Print

Instead of trying to impeach Trump with only a week left, i think it’s instead best to remember what got us Trump in the first place and try to prevent a Trump-like character from ever winning again:

1. NEVER prop up an opponent just because you think they’re unelectable. As crazy as it may seem, some Hillary supporters actually WANTED Trump to become the Republican nominee in 2016 because they thought he would lose in a landslide but as we all know, this backfired spectacularly.

2. Don’t overdo it on identity politics. If there’s one key difference between Hillary and Biden’s campaigns, Hillary put a lot of emphasis on the fact that She’s A Woman whereas Biden mostly focused on how he’s not Trump and how he’s going to bring back the America we had under Obama, which helped convince a lot of moderate Republicans to vote for him.

3. Always run on a populist message that emphasizes flaws in our current system and how to fix them. In 2016, Trump and Bernie both did this but Hillary didn’t, so Trump was able to appeal to enough disenfranchised Bernie Bros. to flip 3 states that hadn’t gone red since the 1980’s. In 2020, Biden ran a semi-populist campaign (having an overall populist message of build back better while running away from many populist ideas like universal healthcare and ending the wars), which gave him a narrow victory over Trump.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Vera Chuck and Dave

14 January 2021
6.18pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2257sp_Permalink sp_Print

However, @Dark Overlord, it depends on the populist message, and how much you believe in it.

In 2015 David Cameron ran on a manifesto which included the promise of a referendum on the UK’s membership of the EU, believing the UK would not vote to leave; when the referendum was held in 2016, the UK voted to leave, and he resigned since – as a believer in the EU – he did not feel he was the right person to negotiate our exit.

The trouble with populist messages is that they often fall apart because the political leaders involved are unable to meet the promises made. Many states around the world who have elected leaders based on populist messages are often quickly disappointed as they realise the only thing that mattered was the leader getting elected and then spending their time blaming others for why they can’t do what they promised.

Impeachment is the right result for Trump as, even if the Senate doesn’t convict him, as it could be used to bar him from holding any future public office were the House and the Senate vote to bar him with a two thirds majority vote – meaning it offers two chances to prevent him from standing in 2024.

The only thing you could probably do to stop a figure like Trump arising again in US politics would be to make it compulsory for candidates to publish their tax returns for the last decade, and to continue publishing them throughout their term. His tax returns have been one of the big things he wanted to hide, which makes you think he probably worried over what effect their publication could have.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Vera Chuck and Dave, Dark Overlord

15 January 2021
12.59am
Vera Chuck and Dave
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 598
2258sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
1. NEVER prop up an opponent just because you think they’re unelectable. As crazy as it may seem, some Hillary supporters actually WANTED Trump to become the Republican nominee in 2016 because they thought he would lose in a landslide but as we all know, this backfired spectacularly.

yeah, this

I remember, as soon as he became the GOP nominee and all the memes and stuff mocking him were happening, I was like “c’mon guys, don’t do this, you’re only bringing more attention to him doing that”

and sure enough!

15 January 2021
9.04am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3752
2259sp_Permalink sp_Print

To continue the point about populism, it’s worth remembering that many of the state institutions that political parties rely on to achieve change are highly capable of curtailing democratic power, and in many cases arguably designed that way, and as a result populist parties can get into power with a strong mandate to change things but find themselves constrained in terms of what they can actually do. 

“While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I’m a naysayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I’ll gladly take another - because I choose to live my life in the company of Ghandi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. I love you, Sheriff Truman.”

15 January 2021
2.58pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2260sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
However, @Dark Overlord, it depends on the populist message, and how much you believe in it.

In 2015 David Cameron ran on a manifesto which included the promise of a referendum on the UK’s membership of the EU, believing the UK would not vote to leave; when the referendum was held in 2016, the UK voted to leave, and he resigned since – as a believer in the EU – he did not feel he was the right person to negotiate our exit.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare populism gone wrong with politicians being dishonest to get elected.

The trouble with populist messages is that they often fall apart because the political leaders involved are unable to meet the promises made. Many states around the world who have elected leaders based on populist messages are often quickly disappointed as they realise the only thing that mattered was the leader getting elected and then spending their time blaming others for why they can’t do what they promised.

Good point, there needs to be a balance between populism and realism or else people will get really pissed off when you can’t achieve your goals. However, it’s also important to give people the candidates they want because otherwise, they’ll vote for the other guy.

This is exactly what happened in 2016 when populist Bernie lost the nomination to centrist Hillary due to the mainstream media branding Bernie as unelectable (as well as the DNC doing some shady stuff behind the scenes). Of course, Hillary could’ve retained many of those Bernie Or Bust voters by picking Bernie as her VP but she instead picked Tim Kaine, a centrist senator from Virginia that very few knew about.

Impeachment is the right result for Trump as, even if the Senate doesn’t convict him, as it could be used to bar him from holding any future public office were the House and the Senate vote to bar him with a two thirds majority vote – meaning it offers two chances to prevent him from standing in 2024.

After what happened at the Capitol, I think you’re average Republican is ready to move on. Trump would struggle to even win the Republican nomination and if he did, he’s pretty much guaranteed to lose to Biden (or Kamala if Biden decides not to seek re-election) and if he decides to run 3rd party, the Republican vote would be so split that Biden (or Kamala) would get well over 400 votes.

The only thing you could probably do to stop a figure like Trump arising again in US politics would be to make it compulsory for candidates to publish their tax returns for the last decade, and to continue publishing them throughout their term. His tax returns have been one of the big things he wanted to hide, which makes you think he probably worried over what effect their publication could have.

That might help but you can be far more worse than Trump and still have a perfect tax record.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690