Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
We Can Work It Out - Politics & Philosophy
25 October 2020
3.05pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4375
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2201sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
Anarcho-capitalism (or even right libertarianism, to be honest) isn't really a real ideology, though, it's mostly just a meme that 15 year olds get into when they first discover politics. The actual policy record of neoliberalism is essentially the promotion of these economic principles wherever possible, both internally within the western nations propagating them (e.g. Thatcher, Reagan, Clinton, Blair, Macron and so on) and second world/third world nations in a neo-colonial exploitative relationship, often enforced by anti-democratic measures or even violence. If anarcho-capitalism was a serious school of thought beyond the internet and Ayn Rand novels, then the difference between the two would be that neoliberals are smart enough to realise that they need a strong (and often authoritarian) state in order to prevent popular revolt against their policies.

I have to disagree. Don't get me wrong, Anarcho-Capitalism (as well as other far-right libertarian ideologies like Classical Liberalism and Paleoconservatism) has it's flaws but it's definitely a real ideology with many adult supporters such as Adam Kokesh and Spike Cohen.

In fact, i prefer far-right libertarianism over neoliberalism because far-right libertarians are more likely to stay consistent with their beliefs (although some are better than others at this).

Sure, far-right libertarians are against Medicare for all, basic environmental regulations, and a progressive tax policy but they're also against corporate bailouts, offensive wars, and the Patriot Act. But neoliberals want the worst of both worlds, having us funnel billions of taxdollars into offensive wars and corporate bailouts while people suffer due to unpaid medical bills and massive corporations slowly destroy our ecosystem.

Of course, it's worth pointing out that center-right libertarians like Joe Rogan and Elon Musk do support common sense regulations and believe that taxation should be used to fund public goods like police, military, and healthcare while still supporting capitalism.

As for your last point, you're not wrong but that can work both ways, as that can also be used to silence unwanted discourse when the government enacts an unpopular policy.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

26 October 2020
8.19am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3627
2202sp_Permalink sp_Print

I understand that anarcho-capitalism is a real theory, I just believe that it is a nonsensical one that no serious person would support. Any detailed understanding of the historical and material origins of both private property and the state demonstrates that the former cannot exist without the latter. 

¡No pasarán!

26 October 2020
1.42pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4375
2203sp_Permalink sp_Print

An argument can be made both ways on what form of anarchy is true anarchy. On one hand, anarcho-capitalism allows corporations to oppress people but on the other, anarcho-communism bans the buying and selling of goods.

Personally, i'd argue that anarcho-capitalism is the true form of anarchy because anarcho-communism curtails economic freedom but i'd 100% agree that regulation is beneficial to the individual (although i'm still in favor of capitalism).

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

27 October 2020
8.20am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3627
2204sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is exactly why I say that anarcho-capitalism is a nonsensical ideology. How do you buy or sell goods without a currency in common to make the transactions actually mean something? Capitalism functions today because we have states to issue universal currency, to protect private property, to provide the infrastructure needed for production, and to regulate the market so that its effects are not too destructive (though of course it is not always successful at this). If you got rid of the state then either the entire system would crumble or the successful enough corporations would turn into mini-states more dictatorial than possibly any government we've yet seen in human history. 

Also, anarcho-communism, if it were to exist, wouldn't "ban" buying and selling goods. The idea is that after the state and capitalism are both abolished, then the people re-organise society along the lines of voluntary, decentralised communes. If two individuals in such an environment decided they wanted to exchange goods then nobody would stop them, the point is that there would be no need to buy and sell goods since everybody's needs would be provided for by the community. I'm not an anarchist, but this is how I understand it. 

¡No pasarán!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 15966
Ron Nasty: 11055
50yearslate: 8663
Necko: 7920
AppleScruffJunior: 7250
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6403
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
sir walter raleigh: 5198
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2596
Moderators: 6
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 4950
Newest Members:
Billy Shears, pat0099, hoaxing, AlisaFrost, ThomasWeek
Moderators: Joe: 5184, Zig: 9812, meanmistermustard: 23411, Ahhh Girl: 19643, Beatlebug: 17426, The Hole Got Fixed: 8041
Administrators: Joe: 5184