Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
We Can Work It Out - Politics & Philosophy
15 April 2020
3.06pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2021sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

Is there anything enacted because of the coronavirus that you’d like to continue once the virus is over?

While i disagree with any sort of enforcement, there are a few things that i wish would voluntarily continue:

1. I think people should continue to only drive to essential places like work and grocery shopping because it’s had a positive impact on the environment

I agree with this; but I would add that we should have much better public transport to pick up the slack. 

2. I think the police should never return to arresting non-violent offenders because our prisons should only be for those who are a threat to society

Broadly agree, but prior to this you’d need a large scale revamping of the legality of these things e.g. legalisation of recreational drugs. 

3. I think people should continue to use social distancing because it never hurts to do so and you never know when the next pandemic is coming

I just don’t think this would be practical or desirable. Do you really want people to have to queue for miles outside to go shopping, or schools to have to make their students sit two desks apart, or for people never to be able to hug or show physical affection to their friends and loved ones? The good thing is that now people are familiar with social distancing and what it requires, it won’t be too difficult for people to take it up again if the need arises, but to ask that people do it for no good reason in normal circumstances is frankly ridiculous.

4. I think we should stop going to things like rock concerts and football games for the reasons stated above as well as the fact that livestreaming these events from a remote location would make them more accessible to those who live in a place where popular artists rarely perform

Why not both? Going to a sports game or a concert in person is always going to be much more fun because of the atmosphere and I would never want to lose that (okay, not always – I’d rather watch a concert livestreamed than from the back of a huge stadium where you can’t even see the musicians), but for those who aren’t able to, livestreaming is a good alternative. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, 50yearslate, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Getbackintheussr

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

15 April 2020
3.10pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
2022sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ah yes, the nosebleed seat atmosphere – it primarily consists of pot smoke, in my limited experience a-hard-days-night-john-6

(so much for criminalizing it ahdn_paul_01)

But, yeah, I pretty much agree with ya up there, Qman.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

15 April 2020
3.29pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445

I just think that instead of forcing people to hermit in their homes for the rest of history governments and health agencies around the world should put more public health research and resources into assuring that, in the event that another pandemic occurs, we are a lot better prepared. Governments should put as much money and research and jobs into defending the public’s health through a better healthcare system as they put into defending the public from threats via military. 

It’s also ignorant to say that we just need to social distance forever. Social distancing and self-quarantine are not at all long-term solutions– the only reason we’re doing these things now is to buy the healthcare system more time. It decreases the amount infected, yes, but the healthcare system still needs to develop a more long-term and effective pandemic strategy so that we can actually defeat coronavirus instead of just hiding in our homes until it “disappears” (which it won’t without a vaccine). Better options need to be explored and put into place. What I’m basically trying to say is, social distancing can’t be let up anytime soon, but we can’t make people live like this forever. The majority of human beings need IRL socialization for sanity, companionship, and sex. It’s just paranoid thinking to force people to social distance even after the virus has been wiped out. More public health and sanitation institutions should be put into place, yes, but you can’t ask people to surrender their social and sex lives for the rest of their lives. 

Also, don’t take away concerts! I haven’t even been to one yet! I want to feel the boundless energetic atmosphere of a hype concert with good-ass music (while being at least a little baked) at least once in my life! 

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

15 April 2020
3.50pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

Definitely don’t agree on not arresting those accused of non-violent crimes (interesting how your minds jump to drug offences I think, takes another toke on joint a-hard-days-night-george-10).

As an example, most forms of theft are considered to be non-violent with the exception of robbery. Do you really want it that having your house burgled while you’re out is something that the police can’t arrest anyone for, or the pickpocket can’t be arrested, or the shoplifter, or the guy that nicks the bike you’ve chained up, or who steals your car? These would, and are, all considered non-violent crimes unless someone is directly threatened (at which point it becomes robbery).

Is it really being suggested that most forms of theft are, effectively, decriminalised?

That’s before we start getting onto fraud and other forms of white-collar crime…

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 April 2020
4.10pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
2025sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Definitely don’t agree on not arresting those accused of non-violent crimes (interesting how your minds jump to drug offences I think, takes another toke on joint a-hard-days-night-george-10).

As an example, most forms of theft are considered to be non-violent with the exception of robbery. Do you really want it that having your house burgled while you’re out is something that the police can’t arrest anyone for, or the pickpocket can’t be arrested, or the shoplifter, or the guy that nicks the bike you’ve chained up, or who steals your car. These would, and are, all considered non-violent crimes unless someone is directly threatened (at which point it becomes robbery).

Is it really being suggested that most forms of theft are, effectively, decriminalised?

I agree completely, RN

But also to mild support you’re argument, don’t forget the slew of crimes beyond theft that are considered non-violent: embezzlement, fraud, tax evasion, obstruction of justice, damage of private property, traffic offenses (DUI, speeding, etc. that can easily lead to unnecessary violence), harassment (stalking, sexual harassment, threats), a slew of non-violent sex crimes (pedophilia, molestation, etc.), cybercrimes…… 

Be careful using the “non-violent” crimes umbrella, @Dark Overlord. 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

15 April 2020
4.14pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777

lovelyritametermaid said

Also, don’t take away concerts! I haven’t even been to one yet! I want to feel the boundless energetic atmosphere of a hype concert with good-ass music (while being at least a little baked) at least once in my life! 

Yep. That was a huge part of my summer plan, being more than a little bit under the influence

Also, sports have been doing a combination of live audience and live stream for decades. Thats how it works.

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

15 April 2020
5.31pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2027sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Definitely don’t agree on not arresting those accused of non-violent crimes (interesting how your minds jump to drug offences I think, takes another toke on joint a-hard-days-night-george-10).As an example, most forms of theft are considered to be non-violent with the exception of robbery. Do you really want it that having your house burgled while you’re out is something that the police can’t arrest anyone for, or the pickpocket can’t be arrested, or the shoplifter, or the guy that nicks the bike you’ve chained up, or who steals your car? These would, and are, all considered non-violent crimes unless someone is directly threatened (at which point it becomes robbery)

That’s before we start getting onto fraud and other forms of white-collar crime…

Whilst I admit that I did mostly just think of drugs when reading DO’s point (the phrase non-violent is commonly used in association with drug offences), I don’t necessarily think all of these crimes should lead to prison sentences, which is what DO said in his original post. There’s a distinction between not arresting someone altogether and not putting them in prison. I think in many cases prison is not a constructive solution and can lead to far more problems than it solves. Prison actually increases the likelihood that inmates will reoffend on the outside, and statistically does not appear to act as a deterrent for most types of offence. That’s not even considering the horrendous problems most modern prison systems face, particularly here in the UK. 

15 April 2020
5.55pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2028sp_Permalink sp_Print

Whilst there is a valid argument about how much prison is used, @QuarryMan, and whether community based punishments aren’t better suited in many instances, DO said:

I think the police should never return to arresting non-violent offenders…

How do you give any form of punishment, whichever form can be debated, if you do not arrest those accused of non-violent crimes, allowing them to be charged with a crime? To be charged with a crime you need to have been arrested. Lots of arguments about how the “debt to society/punishment” should be handled at the end of the process but not arresting non-violent offenders means not charging them, and them never serving the community sentence you’d argue for, but the crime being ignored.

The vast majority of crimes are committed by non-violent offenders, so if you don’t arrest non-violent offenders the vast majority of crimes go unanswered… how they are answered is a whole different debate.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 April 2020
7.12pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2029sp_Permalink sp_Print

Simple misunderstanding, @Ron Nasty . I was agreeing with the second half of DO’s statement (“our prisons should only be for those who are a threat to society”), not the first half (the bit about non-violent offenders not being arrested). Should’ve made that more clear. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug

15 April 2020
9.30pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2030sp_Permalink sp_Print

Only problem was, @QuarryMan, that the premise of the second half of DO’s statement depended on the first half, and the first half was… well… I’ll let you make up your own minds about what I thought…

ahdn_john_08_gifa-hard-days-night-george-10paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, sir walter raleigh, QuarryMan

15 April 2020
10.31pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2031sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Dark Overlord said

Is there anything enacted because of the coronavirus that you’d like to continue once the virus is over?

While i disagree with any sort of enforcement, there are a few things that i wish would voluntarily continue:

1. I think people should continue to only drive to essential places like work and grocery shopping because it’s had a positive impact on the environment

I agree with this; but I would add that we should have much better public transport to pick up the slack.

Free public transport sounds like a great idea, as it both helps out the environment and the people.

QuarryMan said

3. I think people should continue to use social distancing because it never hurts to do so and you never know when the next pandemic is coming

I just don’t think this would be practical or desirable. Do you really want people to have to queue for miles outside to go shopping, or schools to have to make their students sit two desks apart, or for people never to be able to hug or show physical affection to their friends and loved ones? The good thing is that now people are familiar with social distancing and what it requires, it won’t be too difficult for people to take it up again if the need arises, but to ask that people do it for no good reason in normal circumstances is frankly ridiculous.

Not to that extreme but i think it would be nice if people stopped crowding in large areas.

QuarryMan said

4. I think we should stop going to things like rock concerts and football games for the reasons stated above as well as the fact that livestreaming these events from a remote location would make them more accessible to those who live in a place where popular artists rarely perform

Why not both? Going to a sports game or a concert in person is always going to be much more fun because of the atmosphere and I would never want to lose that (okay, not always – I’d rather watch a concert livestreamed than from the back of a huge stadium where you can’t even see the musicians), but for those who aren’t able to, livestreaming is a good alternative.

Because tons of people attend those events with very space inbetween them so if someone with a new, unknown, and potentially deadly disease comes to a major event like the Super Bowl, you can have 100,000 people get infected and then those people can easily spread the disease.

Ron Nasty said

As an example, most forms of theft are considered to be non-violent with the exception of robbery. Do you really want it that having your house burgled while you’re out is something that the police can’t arrest anyone for, or the pickpocket can’t be arrested, or the shoplifter, or the guy that nicks the bike you’ve chained up, or who steals your car? These would, and are, all considered non-violent crimes unless someone is directly threatened (at which point it becomes robbery).

Sorry, what i meant to say was victimless crimes. While i do think that petty theft (i.e. shoplifting DVD’s) should be dealt with by paying back the amount stolen plus community service and or a little extra, i definitely support prison times for more serious forms of theft, as well as white collar crimes like fraud and embezzlement.

lovelyritametermaid said
But also to mild support you’re argument, don’t forget the slew of crimes beyond theft that are considered non-violent: embezzlement, fraud, tax evasion, obstruction of justice, damage of private property, traffic offenses (DUI, speeding, etc. that can easily lead to unnecessary violence), harassment (stalking, sexual harassment, threats), a slew of non-violent sex crimes (pedophilia, molestation, etc.), cybercrimes……

Pedophilia is definitely a violent crime, as you’re physically forcing yourself onto someone who is mentally incapable of giving sexual consent. I’d also consider things like reckless driving or willfully ignoring safety violations where you are putting others at risk to be violent crimes. As for harassment, i agree that it’s non-violent but if you get a restraining order and they violate it, then they should go to prison.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Getbackintheussr, QuarryMan

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

16 April 2020
7.12pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2032sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would agree that those who are not harmful to society should not be put in prison, but that’s a very general statement that could be loosely interpreted in a lot of different ways.

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

22 April 2020
1.54pm
Zig
The Toppermost of the Poppermost
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9832
2033sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

@Zig

@Zig 

@Zig 

What?

What?

What?

The following people thank Zig for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars, sir walter raleigh, vonbontee, The Hole Got Fixed

To the fountain of perpetual mirth, let it roll for all its worth. And all the children boogie.

22 April 2020
2.12pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2034sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow it’s zig the mod on last time was 19 August 2019 8.04pm

I guess Ellie remains at the top of least active mod/admin but you gave her a good running you did. I do miss your giant weirdly shaped avatar though.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, Little Piggy Dragonguy

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

22 April 2020
4.33pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2035sp_Permalink sp_Print

He returns! Also I don’t think I’ve ever encountered an Ellie or seen one of their posts on my three years in the forum a-hard-days-night-john-6

22 April 2020
4.51pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2036sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ellie is Joe’s wife, I’ve witnessed one of her posts live I think a total of one time.

*puts on red shirt*

For an admin, she’s put in very little work!!!  Typical of us poor forum users to contribute posts in the 0000’s and yet we remain in the lowly roles of moderators and general users. It’s an outrage. I declare we up-rise! 

Image Enlarger

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

22 April 2020
5.48pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
2037sp_Permalink sp_Print

Zig said

meanmistermustard said

@Zig

@Zig 

@Zig 

What?

What?

What?

Waving Hello GIF | GfycatImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Beatlebug, vonbontee, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars, QuarryMan, Zig, Getbackintheussr

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

22 April 2020
6.40pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2038sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gosh Ziggity darn it, it’s Zig himself! john-lennon-salute_gif

Great to see you again.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Beatlebug, QuarryMan, Zig

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

23 April 2020
7.42am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2039sp_Permalink sp_Print

Link to an interesting short story I cited in one of my recent philosophy essays – worth reading for anyone interested in ethics.

https://docs.google.com/viewer…..JkZDE0MDFk

30 April 2020
4.33pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2040sp_Permalink sp_Print

@AppleScruffJunior I’m going to move the conversation here so the other thread remains apolitical.

Anyways, i have many problems with Western civilization:

Class divide:

There’s such a divide between social classes that 3 people own as much as half of all Americans and while some believe that people choose to be poor by being lazy, that’s not true because most of the top 1% were born wealthy.

Political bias:

There’s 2 mindsets in America, Republican or Democrat. Even if you don’t fit into one of these 2 categories, you side with one of them.

This distorted reality came to a peak in 2016 when people reluctantly chose Trump or Hillary, even though most of them preferred Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson or Green candidate Jill Stein and it will happen again in the fall when people reluctantly choose Trump or Biden, even though most people prefer Libertarian candidate Jacob Hornberger or Green candidate Howie Hawkins.

This also leads to people loving their party and hating the other party no matter what they do. For example, the Democrats were against Trump getting the troops out of Syria even though it’s something they wanted Obama to do while the Republicans are strongly against Obamacare despite it being created by Republican Mitt Romney as an alternative to Democrat Bill Clinton’s healthcare plan of 1993.

Identity politics:

Who cares if you’re a white man or a black girl or whatever else, it shouldn’t matter. But it does here, where there’s both the intersectionality and affirmative action of the far left and the hyper nationalism and race realism of the far right. And while i’ll admit the left does it in good taste, both forms of identity politics fuel each other and the only way to stop it is to accept that we’re all people and should all be treated equally.

Political correctness:

Political correctness is an oxymoron, as it’s only used to benefit the left and being politically incorrect doesn’t hurt anyone. Yet, society is expected to be politically correct and use politically correct terms, even when the politically correct term doesn’t mean exactly the same thing.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

AppleScruffJunior

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691