Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
22 May 2020
11.40am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5281sp_Permalink sp_Print

Literally– I hate it on my iPhone whenever I miss a call and like I recognize that the call is missed but I don’t have time to call back but I hate the little red notification there telling me I had a missed call but I can’t get rid of it without a) calling that person back or b) deleting it from my call history and its really annoying 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

22 May 2020
11.49am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
5282sp_Permalink sp_Print

My phone tells me every call’s been missed whether I answered or not.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

24 May 2020
8.27am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

No idea why but my iPhone has wiped all the books I added to it and everything I attempt to re-add them fails. It also took about 10 minutes to remove the crappy few books it had put back on that I had downloaded about 8 years ago but since deleted.

Throw Phone GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHYImage Enlarger

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

24 May 2020
3.30pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
5284sp_Permalink sp_Print

iTunes would be far and away the most convenient music software if it did what it said it was going to do. 

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

24 May 2020
3.33pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5285sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said
iTunes would be far and away the most convenient music software if it did what it said it was going to do. 

Yeah. For some reason, a long while back they had it working well but decided that that was too useful and so changed it to be riddled with bugs. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

27 May 2020
5.27pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
5286sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m still angry Back To The Egg got taken off Apple Music 🙁

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

27 May 2020
5.32pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
5287sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
I’m still angry Back To The Egg got taken off Apple Music 🙁

dude don’t even get me started– imma ’bout to fight 

Beatlebug

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

27 May 2020
9.26pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

*retrieves popcorn*

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

27 May 2020
11.00pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
5289sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
*retrieves popcorn*

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Ok ok just to be clear I’m not fighting Fiddy, so sadly my violent, hotheaded actions will not be witnessable on the forum– but I do fully intend on fighting Apple Music *slams fist into open hand like those tough guys in pop culture do* 

Beatlebug

||She/They ||

28 May 2020
10.16am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
5290sp_Permalink sp_Print

All this talk about iTunes is making me think about my pet peeve about how unreasonably long copyright lasts for. Don’t get me wrong, people should have exclusive rights to their intellectual property for a short period of time and how long that period lasts for is up for debate but i think enough time’s passed that anything released up until at least 1970 should be in the public domain yet here in America, only things released before 1925 are automatically in the public domain, meaning that even 90 year old films like Dracula and Frankenstein are still protected by copyright.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

28 May 2020
10.35am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5291sp_Permalink sp_Print

So, @Dark Overlord, you think Paul and Ringo should have their control of The Beatles catalogue (along with the Estates of John and George) taken away from them?

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

28 May 2020
11.08am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
5292sp_Permalink sp_Print

At some point yes, copyright law is like death +75 years which is quite long tbh.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

28 May 2020
11.44am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
5293sp_Permalink sp_Print

I was more picking up on DO’s suggestion that everything before 1970 should lose its copyright, @Starr Shine?.

I do get conflicted on copyright, and those who argue it should be taken away during someone’s lifetime. It annoys me that things aren’t readily available, and I’ve enjoyed the way European copyright law has seen a vast amount of material released from the vaults (none more so than Dylan), but then I imagine someone having built a house in the ’60s having someone turn up on their doorstep, telling them they’ve got to move out because they’ve had the house for 50 years and it was time others got the benefit.

I find it interesting how many there are that would argue fiercely against the seizure of physical property based on the length of ownership who are happy to argue for the confiscation of intellectual property.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Little Piggy Dragonguy

28 May 2020
1.24pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
5294sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yes @Ron Nasty i absolutely think The Beatles entire catalog (except possibly Free As A Bird and Real Love ) should be in the public domain. They had more than enough time to profit off their work and on top of that, Paul and Ringo have been continuously recording new music since 1962 and regularly tour so it’s not like they’d be homeless if The Beatles entered the public domain.

Also, i find your analogy of forcibly evicting people from their house for living there too long to be really strange. While there’s a divide in opinion on copyright, ranging from copyright should never exist to copyright should be eternal, i can’t think of anyone who would argue that viewpoint. But most importantly, there’s a HUGE difference between downloading pirating music and forcibly seizing one’s property. When you download a band’s discography off the internet, you’re making them lose potential revenue (which is why i’m against abolishing copyright entirely) but you’re not actually stealing any tangible object. On the contrary, forcibly evicting someone from their house isn’t just white collar theft but you’re also forcing a senior citizen to live on the streets instead of letting them retire like they should, meaning that they might starve to death if they don’t enough saved for a new house and their children don’t want to nurse them.

28 May 2020
2.56pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
5295sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t really know much about copyright law, but does something being in the public domain mean that you can’t profit of it?

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

28 May 2020
3.06pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
5296sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah. Losing the rights to your songs is not the same as losing your home. For one they are not are not taking back royalties earned over the years and leaving you without, however, a large source of income is lost. 
It’s easy tho to pick Ringo or Paul as the example for changing the law since they have made hundreds of millions over the years. There will be millions of artists and songwriters who will need the royalties from the copyright of their one or two hits to be able to live reasonably, not in luxury homes but just to make do.

28 May 2020
3.07pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

QuarryMan said
I don’t really know much about copyright law, but does something being in the public domain mean that you can’t profit of it?

It means that anyone can profit from it; that it can be used for purposes the artist is unhappy with (such as in advertising); and that royalties are no longer paid. It is the removal of the artist’s rights to control their works or receive financial benefit from its commercial use by others.

28 May 2020
4.01pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
5298sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
There will be millions of artists and songwriters who will need the royalties from the copyright of their one or two hits to be able to live reasonably, not in luxury homes but just to make do.

That’s their fault for expecting to live work free for the rest of their lives off a one hit wonder instead of going back to work once they realized that their musical career is over. It might not seem like a nice thing to say but sometimes people need to take personal responsibility.

Ron Nasty said
It means that anyone can profit from it; that it can be used for purposes the artist is unhappy with (such as in advertising); and that royalties are no longer paid. It is the removal of the artist’s rights to control their works or receive financial benefit from its commercial use by others.

You make a good point about advertising but i think it would be better for the creator to encourage his fans to boycott the company that used his name and likeness in a way he disagrees with as opposed to making copyright eternal or otherwise unreasonably long. Not to mention, the record company also has a say in what gets released. For example, while The Beatles were fine with including Here Comes The Sun on the Voyager LP, EMI refused.

28 May 2020
4.10pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Dark Overlord said

meanmistermustard said

There will be millions of artists and songwriters who will need the royalties from the copyright of their one or two hits to be able to live reasonably, not in luxury homes but just to make do.

That’s their fault for expecting to live work free for the rest of their lives off a one hit wonder instead of going back to work once they realized that their musical career is over. It might not seem like a nice thing to say but sometimes people need to take personal responsibility.

Ron Nasty said

You make a good point about advertising but i think it would be better for the creator to encourage his fans to boycott the company that used his name and likeness in a way he disagrees with as opposed to making copyright eternal or otherwise unreasonably long. Not to mention, the record company also has a say in what gets released. For example, while The Beatles were fine with including Here Comes The Sun on the Voyager LP, EMI refused.

They are working (or retired) but are using the royalties to top up their everyday earnings or get a little extra, they are not sitting on their sofas surrounded by life luxuries all day waiting for the cheque to arrive. To suggest they are is total ignorance and a lack of understanding.

28 May 2020
7.53pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
5300sp_Permalink sp_Print

If they’re genuinely dependent on those royalties despite having a full time job, then i think the real problem is that the minimum wage is unlivable and needs to be raised, not that copyright should last as long as it does.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694