Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
6 May 2020
6.41pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
5221sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just put down AMERICAN no matter where you are. America is taking over oh no now I’m American AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Beatlebug, Beatlebug

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

6 May 2020
10.28pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
5222sp_Permalink sp_Print

^I wish I could! I identify as “American,” but that’s not an option on the form! ahdn_paul_01

The Hole Got Fixed said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

Caucasian

Asian

African

Hispanic

Other

Wtf is other? Does it mean ‘The other ones that we can’t be bothered thinking of the name for’?paul-mccartney

I’m very much Caucasian but I still get annoyed by that too 

IIRC they also included Native American (obviously it’s in America so), Pacific Islander, and “I prefer not to say.” I would have preferred to have said in detail ahdn_paul_01 but I mean, I personally can’t think of any more races* off the top of my head, but I guess mixed-race people are supposed to go under “other” so that’s what I checked, but I wish they would let you check more than one. Usually you can check all that apply on most paper forms I’ve met, but this was an online form and it wasn’t set up that way. Idk whatever. mccartney-shrug_01_gif

*unless we’re getting super specific here, like “Han Chinese” “Tibetan” “Hmong” etc etc that would all fall under Asian. Oh, well, I guess you could separate East Asians from Indians and include Arabic people, that would make more sense. Turkic people might be a race as well, but Central Asia is really a big gray area and I don’t suppose there are enough of them here to account for more than a rounding error, which is probably why they don’t include them. I guess if you’re trying to calculate percentages it would be confusing for people to be checking more than one paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif duh why didn’t I think of that before, never mind

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

7 May 2020
4.56am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
5223sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s a pet peeve of mine that mental heath support in most contexts seems to be just saying ‘mental health is important’ a bunch of times and then never actually doing anything about it. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Timothy, The Hole Got Fixed, sir walter raleigh, Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars, 50yearslate

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

7 May 2020
5.26am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2129
5224sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
It’s a pet peeve of mine that mental heath support in most contexts seems to be just saying ‘mental health is important’ a bunch of times and then never actually doing anything about it. 

Agree so much.

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

7 May 2020
5.40am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777
5225sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

it is funny because its true

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

QuarryMan, Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

7 May 2020
8.36am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
5226sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

Caucasian

Asian

African

Hispanic

Other

Wtf* is other? Does it mean ‘The other ones that we can’t be bothered thinking of the name for’?paul-mccartney

I’m very much Caucasian but I still get annoyed by that too 

* bless autocorrect, it changed that to ‘egg’a-hard-days-night-ringo-7

Ireland’s census says ‘What is your ethnic or cultural background?’:

White

Irish

Irish Traveller

Any other white background

Black or black Irish

African

Any other black background

Asian or Asian Irish

Chinese

Any other Asian background

Other including mixed background

Other, write in description (and then there’s two lines for you to write your mix)

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

7 May 2020
10.08am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
5227sp_Permalink sp_Print

Timothy said

QuarryMan said

Agree so much.

There’s a club at my school called “Stand Together” whose goal is to “increase mental health awareness and erase stigma.” I mean, I get that they’re trying to help and that’s not an inherently bad thing, but all they really do is just do events and make posters that just teach mental health lingo and just tell people to stop using “stigma” words– which is alright, but I feel that instead of telling people over and over “You can’t say this because it hurts peoples feelings” and “It’s okay to not be okay” maybe it would be more helpful to teach people how to ask for support and how to support their loved ones who are suffering instead of just “raising awareness” or whatever, and also maybe do fundraisers to donate to nonprofits and mental health/rehab facilities dedicated to the homeless or impoverished. They could also do stuff like hold meetings and support groups for students who are suffering from poor mental health– not like counseling sessions where advice is given because that would be unprofessional but just like a group where they can just talk and vent to other people that might relate to what they’re saying. 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug, QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars, 50yearslate

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

7 May 2020
12.19pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
5228sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thinking of mental health, one thing i hate is when people treat Autism like as if it’s some kind of severe mental disability like intellectual disability. Most people with Autism are high functioning, can live a normal life, and you wouldn’t even know they have Autism until you got to know them. But there’s tons of people who want to lump these high-functioning Autistics in with those who are severely mentally disabled and when people with Autism speak out about this, they’re labeled as a bigot by white knights who believe that all people with disabilities should be treated the same.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, 50yearslate

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

7 May 2020
4.38pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
5229sp_Permalink sp_Print

All this preoccupation with generations that everybody seems to have these days.  Listen, folks: Baby Boomer, Millennial, Generation X, Generation Z, etc. are not real things.  We made them up.  It’s all arbitrary nonsense made up by flawed humans.  God didn’t draw a line in the sand and say “If thou hast been born between these dates, thou shalt be a…”  All this is is the media trying to divide people and pit them against each other (again).  It’s so transparent and yet so many people fall for it.  People should be judged by their individual merits, not by some idiotic meaningless label the media uses to inspire blind hatred.

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, Ahhh Girl, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars, 50yearslate

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

7 May 2020
5.40pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
5230sp_Permalink sp_Print

Agreed, although i’m still fine with the terms if they allow overlap (ie you can be both boomer and gen x) and aren’t used to make broad generalizations.

7 May 2020
5.54pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
5231sp_Permalink sp_Print

I did write out a response to Necko’s post, but it disappeared when I pressed submit. I wonder if it ended up in a random thread somewhere on here a-hard-days-night-john-6

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars, 50yearslate

7 May 2020
6.50pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
5232sp_Permalink sp_Print

I tend to agree. 

However they do come in useful, as it has been shown the different generations have different qualities.

For example, it has been shown the difference in your political views (here’s Australia’s last election broken into age:)

FB_IMG_1588895324035.jpgImage Enlarger

For people who don’t know, nationals are far right, liberals are right to far right, labor is centre (although they claim to be centre left) and greens are far left.

So the generation thing is useful but it’s blown way out of proportion and applied to things it shouldn’t be.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

7 May 2020
7.01pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

*Puts on glasses*, as a business person, you have to communicate very differently with different generations (which are normally divided into baby-boomers, gen x, millennials and the babies- although we don’t have baby boomers in Ireland (as defined by a big massive increase in births after WW2, Ireland didn’t partake and we were still mostly impoverished….) so you can efficiently sell to them and how to convince them that you are the right person/you have the right product for them. Each generation has different ideas, goals and inspirations and you have to cater to the right person.

You don’t tell a 16 year old this product will make you seem like a person who conforms (even though being a teenager is all about trying to unique and original, you still ending up being the same as everyone else- no matter how hard you try. Don’t tell them that). You need to market to them as it being this cool product that is unique, does save the whales and will make you look cool- all at the same time. The baby boomer does not care whether it’s unique, saves the whales or looks cool, they want good quality, that’s worth its price tag. You are not going to get your average 60-year old woman to spend €30 on a water bottle, no matter how hard you try. However, if you make it look good and you do some crappy greenwashing, your average 15-25 year old is going to be banging the door down trying to get that stupid water bottle.

I would write out what that description is but’s it 1am and *yawwwnnnnnn*.

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan

7 May 2020
7.08pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

^I think that might have more to do with younger people tending to be more lefty and getting more conservative as they get older (so clearly I’m going to be a far-right anarcho-capitalist by the time I’m 50… ahdn_paul_01)

I think I remember hearing somewhere that it has been observed that Gen Z is slightly more conservative than the previous generation was at the same age, the first generation to shift right in several decades (obviously it’s an average that doesn’t account for individuals, obviously blah blah blah don’t know why this needs to be said).

Generation divisions are useful for charting demographic trends, which is exactly as useful as it is for what it is: charting demographic trends. It says nothing about individuals of any group, but merely recognizes patterns among groups because that’s what we humans do. I am a strong individualist, so I don’t believe in using knowledge of any particular statistical tendency to judge someone of a group based on that statistic regarding their group… obviously blah blah blah don’t know why this needs to be said…

my we did get off topic ahdn_john_08_gif

EDIT: sub-fiddy paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif I was replying to Holey’s post above.

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

7 May 2020
7.11pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
5235sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s interesting how you guys consider liberals to be far right. Here in the US, what we consider to be liberals would be center right to center left.

7 May 2020
7.19pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

Our Green Party is useless, literally does nothing but go…..fossil fuels are bad….how can we reduce people’s use of fossil fuels? TAXES 😀 

Literally put taxes on every single bad thing, without coming up with any solutions for it. Their most recent one is increasing carbon taxes (from €20 per ton to €26 per ton- nice) on solid fuel. Yet in spite of this increase, they barely increased the fuel allowance for elderly people to facilitate this (an extra €2 a week and you better be thankful for that!!!). So you’re happy with elderly people sitting in cold homes in the winter because they want to spare the heating???? 

You can’t just heat your house on positive vibes, thoughts and prayers- you actually need fuel to heat it with.

They come out with a policy every now and again to get young people to vote for them, the most recent one is ‘LEGALISE WEED’, which I have no problem with, I just wish they’d actually do beneficial things for the environment rather than taxing us all to hell AND legalise weed so we take money away from the drug lords and finally stop the stupid, constant “legalise it” shite I see everywhere.

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed

7 May 2020
11.11pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
5237sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

It’s interesting how you guys consider liberals to be far right. Here in the US, what we consider to be liberals would be center right to center left.

The Liberal party was once liberal but now has slowly drifted further and further right. We have to make the distinction by saying ‘big L’ or ‘small l’ liberal often.

BeBu: definitely agree that’s they’re trends, and obviously not indicative. This is a good video:

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

sigh butterfly

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

8 May 2020
5.23am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
5238sp_Permalink sp_Print

Holey has largely said what I wanted to say, but yeah, generational distinctions aren’t entirely arbitrary, and they can be a useful way of understanding broader societal trends and behaviours. Obviously treating people as individuals is important, but if you only view them that way you might be missing part of the picture. For example, the baby boomers are the only generation in the past hundred years to be gaining a larger share of the total wealth, even as they are declining as a percentage of the population. Now that’s not to say such this applies to every individual born in that generation, but looking at it through that lens then allows you to start thinking about what changed economically, socially or culturally to allow the boomers to buck the trend in that way. 

The Hole Got Fixed, sigh butterfly, lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars

11 May 2020
6.17pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
5239sp_Permalink sp_Print

Needing to feed myself every day to not become lethargic. Grocery shopping and then making food and eating it is so time consuming and expensive. Life would be so much easier if I could just eat once a week or get sustenance injected into my veins instead. 

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug, sigh butterfly, 50yearslate, WeepingAtlasCedars

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

11 May 2020
8.12pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
5240sp_Permalink sp_Print

^I do enjoy the process of food-ing most of the time, but there are definitely days when I wish I could pop a pill and be satisfied and nourished. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

sigh butterfly

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691