Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
2 September 2019
9.33pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4881sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can relate. Moving the dining room table from its customary place is always a dangerous prospect for my dad and I (RIP chandelier). a-hard-days-night-paul-7a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

50yearslate, QuarryMan, StrawberryFields91

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

3 September 2019
4.22am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
4882sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said

RIP chandelier 

Two words that tell a tragic story a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Beatlebug, 50yearslate

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

3 September 2019
6.23am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
4883sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Tony Japanese
3 September 2019
8.58am
Beatlebug

Moderators
4884sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Beatlebug said
RIP chandelier 

Two words that tell a tragic story a-hard-days-night-paul-7  

‘Twas tongue in cheek. The chandelier is fine; our heads, less so a-hard-days-night-paul-7

50yearslate, QuarryMan

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

3 September 2019
9.50am
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
4885sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope it wasn’t one of those spiky ones…

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

3 September 2019
1.59pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
4886sp_Permalink sp_Print

0C2898A9-6021-4CE7-9234-1819A964D51B.jpegImage Enlarger

how

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Beatlebug, William Shears Campbell, StrawberryFields91, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

3 September 2019
2.23pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
4887sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
I hope it wasn’t one of those spiky ones…  

No, it’s rather sLeEk and m0dErN, thankfully.

50yearslate also said

how  

a-hard-days-night-john-3ahdn_george_01ahdn_george_01ahdn_george_01a-hard-days-night-paul-10paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

50yearslate, QuarryMan, William Shears Campbell

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

4 September 2019
8.41am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
4888sp_Permalink sp_Print

@50yearslate said

how

A couple years ago I posted something along those lines on here. I think it was John Lennon ‘s “Beef Jerky” but it had the lyrics for “My Mummy’s Dead

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

50yearslate

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

4 September 2019
9.23am
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
4889sp_Permalink sp_Print

@William Shears Campbell yeah and I think The Ballad Of Sir Frankie Crisp is also messed up a-hard-days-night-ringo-14

William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug, StrawberryFields91

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

5 September 2019
10.46am
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 913
4890sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said

how

Those are the lyrics they were thinking of in their head whilst they played their instruments. You’ll need to be telepathic to hear them.

The following people thank Tony Japanese for this post:

Beatlebug, StrawberryFields91, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl
5 September 2019
7.03pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
4891sp_Permalink sp_Print

Recording drums. First, you have to put clothes and towels on the drums to prevent the notes from sustaining. Then, you have to worry about hitting your headphone cable while playing. Finally, when that’s all done, your hi hat fucks up halfway through the song because you’re using a cheap kit. And that’s the best i can hope for.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

5 September 2019
7.35pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4892sp_Permalink sp_Print

You see, a lot of what you just described sounds easy enough to get around @Dark Overlord 

Personally when I record drums I almost never put anything on any of the drums – bar my wallet on the snare on perhaps one or two of the songs I’ve done. It actually makes less of a difference than you think.

You can loop your headphone cable behind your head so it’s not in front of you.

Hi-hats messing up is a harder one to get around…

For me, recording drums is annoying because of the number of mics I want to use isn’t always practical, as it takes forever to set up – but I don’t want to settle for anything less.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Beatlebug

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

5 September 2019
8.12pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
4893sp_Permalink sp_Print

My two favourite Brexit Pet Peeves… and how statistics can be given an importance which is misleading, deceptive and false…

First I point to the oft quoted:

17.4 million people voted for Brexit. The highest number of people who have voted for anything in our history.

Yeah, and…? We’re a multi-party state, and our votes are usually split between more than a half-dozen options, sometimes more than a dozen.

As a country, we rarely do binary votes, Yes/No. The last nationwide binary vote was the 1975 EEC membership vote. The population has grown by around 10 million in the intervening decades.

The second highest vote for anything in our history was the Remain vote.

The population grows, the vote grows, and is emphasised in an A or B vote…

And then there is the Leave/Remain vote split, the oft quoted:

52% leave against 48% remain (actually 51.89% leave against 48.11% remain to be precise)…

These percentages are portrayed as an accurate portrayal of how the UK divided that night over Brexit, and I’ll admit they are an accurate and honest of the vote back in 2016. However, when the voting figures are used to illustrate the opinion and direction of the country, it does not truly reflect what the electorate did on that 2016 night.

The turnout wasn’t particularly high, 72.21%; meaning that 27.79% of the electorate didn’t vote, and the 51.89% and 48.11% split is how the 72.21% who voted split. Were you to include those who didn’t vote, not assuming how they might have voted had they, the percentages look very different, and while leave still has the biggest vote, it’s nowhere near the 52% that’s claimed when you include the whole electorate.

When you include the whole electorate, the breakdown actually looks like this:

Leave 37.48%
Remain 34.73%
Did not vote 27.79%

Not quite as clear cut as the 52-48 would have you believe.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Dark Overlord

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

5 September 2019
8.54pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
4894sp_Permalink sp_Print

That sucks but at least you guys don’t have a stupid electoral college and 2/3 majority like us Americans do. Here in the US, you can get 65% of the vote and still lose.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

5 September 2019
9.18pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
4895sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pet peeve: when people dismiss the electoral college without having a real understanding of what and why it is. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The reason we have an electoral college is pretty simple: because it is the United States of America, not just one massive blob of country called America. It’s a necessary flywheel in the system because the US is such a large and diverse nation, with different areas having different interests. The EC guarantees that all the states have a say, because if it were abolished and a simple majority vote used to elect the president, states with massive urban populations would be the only ones that could have a real effect on the election. It protects minorities from tyranny of the majority, i.e. two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner.

The electoral college also applies only to the election for the office of the executive branch, which is not comparable to the Brexit vote (a referendum, not an election for a political leader). Representatives and senators are elected by popular vote, but they are elected by the people of each state to represent their state. Once again, we are a federation of individual states, not a blob. Now, if you wanna argue that we should be a blob instead of having states, that’s a whole other conversation, and I would argue strongly against the proposition in the event of such a conversation.

(I’m having a little too much fun using the word ‘blob’, sorry to all the countries that fit that description, no shade, you’re just a different thing and I don’t think it would work for America because of our diversity)

I’m sure you already know all this, I’m not sure why I have to tell you, but as an FYI for everyone else I suppose it serves some purpose…? mccartney-shrug_01_gif

QuarryMan, Wigwam

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

5 September 2019
11.41pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4896sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks for explaining why it exists Bebu,  I’d never bothered to find out.

It sounds like the system we have here would work well for you – divide the country up into electorates of given population, and so the majority of the population of each electorate is either rural or urban. We have electorates of around 100,000 people each, so maybe in America 130,000 could work? That way everyone is equally represented, you don’t need the electoral college, and while you’re at it you could use preferential voting so people aren’t (effectively) limited to 2 options.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

6 September 2019
7.50am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
4897sp_Permalink sp_Print

On the electoral college, to me any system which means one person’s vote is worth more than another is deeply flawed. 

To put it another way, the three electors in Wyoming represent an average of 187,923 residents each. The 55 electors in California represent an average of 677,355 each, and that’s a disparity of 3.6 to 1.

I understand the reasons for it, but the affront to democracy it represents (“wE’rE a rEpuBliC nOt A dEmoCrAcY” a-hard-days-night-john-6) isn’t going away and if it delivers another result where the President Elect doesn’t have a majority of the votes, I’ll consider it a truly broken system. 

(But we should probably move this to Philosophy if there’s further discussion) 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

50yearslate

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

6 September 2019
8.09am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
4898sp_Permalink sp_Print

As I’ve always understood it……The US is a federation of states…..Just as the EU is. Proportionately the Maltese in the EU have a a greater say than more populous countries.

The US system of the Electoral College ensures that the views of the fly-over States are taken into consideration……If it was always the case that only the East and West coast belt-ways mattered in Federal elections it would irreparable weaken the Federation and undermine the very existence of the US…..

The drafters of the Constitution got a lot of things about right.

Beatlebug
6 September 2019
8.40am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Pet, ‘living in Thailand’ Peeve…..The difference between the West and the East with regards to punctuality and importance of time keeping.

When, as happened yesterday, a girlfriend who lives 5 mins away says at 1pm…..that, ‘I am coming see you now’…..

Through long experience of such matters I know  that there is often a very flexible interpretation of the word, ‘now’  I determine it’s wise to actually check and send a follow-up question, ‘OK what time will you be here?’…….. and she says…’ 4pm….’

When I say I think reasonably…… ‘If that’s the case….Change of plan…..Another day is better for me ‘……and she says….

……’You’re crazy!!! You say come then you say I not come’

Blocking friends on ‘Line’ is a simple matter…..Better than a pointless clash of cultures.  

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug
6 September 2019
9.49am
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
4900sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
Pet peeve: when people dismiss the electoral college without having a real understanding of what and why it is. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

The reason we have an electoral college is pretty simple: because it is the United States of America, not just one massive blob of country called America. It’s a necessary flywheel in the system because the US is such a large and diverse nation, with different areas having different interests. The EC guarantees that all the states have a say, because if it were abolished and a simple majority vote used to elect the president, states with massive urban populations would be the only ones that could have a real effect on the election. It protects minorities from tyranny of the majority, i.e. two wolves and a sheep voting on what’s for dinner.

The electoral college also applies only to the election for the office of the executive branch, which is not comparable to the Brexit vote (a referendum, not an election for a political leader). Representatives and senators are elected by popular vote, but they are elected by the people of each state to represent their state. Once again, we are a federation of individual states, not a blob. Now, if you wanna argue that we should be a blob instead of having states, that’s a whole other conversation, and I would argue strongly against the proposition in the event of such a conversation.

(I’m having a little too much fun using the word ‘blob’, sorry to all the countries that fit that description, no shade, you’re just a different thing and I don’t think it would work for America because of our diversity)

I’m sure you already know all this, I’m not sure why I have to tell you, but as an FYI for everyone else I suppose it serves some purpose…? mccartney-shrug_01_gif

Maybe it was necessary back in Olden Times, but it’s very flawed now. Because I live in California, a state with a very large population, my vote counts for less than the vote of a person in, say, Rhode Island. And don’t tell me ‘no Fiddy, it’s equal because California has more electoral votes’ because all the electoral votes have to be the same, and if I’m a Republican voting for Republicans in California, the democratic majority will easily outnumber me and my vote won’t count for anything. However, if I was in Rhode Island, my vote would be much more significant in deciding where the electoral votes go, because there are less people in Rhode Island, and therefore less voters, and therefore less votes. My vote can’t be equal unless every person’s vote counts the same regardless of what state they’re in. 

The Hole Got Fixed, StrawberryFields91

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691