Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
1 January 2019
6.03pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4281sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unnecessary quoting of posts and/or quoting whole posts without editing when you’re only responding to a small part, especially when the quoted posts are long.

Just too many posts lately, for my liking at least, where people responding to the post directly above them quote the post instead of using a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 to show they’re responding to the above.

Or someone quotes a whole long post and they’re only interested in one sentence but don’t trim it down to just the bit they’re picking up on and want to respond to.

I find it annoying to scroll through pages that are full of quotes of the post above.

It is not necessary to quote every post you’re responding to all the time, it just creates more annoying scrolling.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug, vonbontee

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

1 January 2019
6.08pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
4282sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, but look at what happened in your post. If you had been replying to the person above you, that emoji would have only caused everybody else more work by having to go to the previous page in the thread. 

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

sir walter raleigh

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

1 January 2019
6.17pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
4283sp_Permalink sp_Print

Twenty posts a page, @Little Piggy Dragonguy, in steps of twenty (–1 to -20, -21 to -40, etc.), never changes.

If you’re responding to the 14th post on a page, as an example, no need to quote the post above unless you want to pick out a part of it.

WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

3 January 2019
11.33pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
4284sp_Permalink sp_Print

When two people have a long conversation on a group chat that is completely irrelevant to everyone else on the chat blue-meanie

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, TheWalrusWasBrian, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

4 January 2019
12.05am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2145
4285sp_Permalink sp_Print

When I’m in a group and we’re told to introduce ourselves, and talk. I’m happy with my own thoughts, reflecting in silence.

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

vonbontee, Saltie

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

4 January 2019
3.55am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

Timothy said:

“When I’m in a group and we’re told to introduce ourselves, and talk.”

I know that feeling…

I could never take this ritual seriously………..

When it was my turn to introduce myself to a new group…….I’d stand up. Solemnly say,     ‘My is……………and I’m an alcoholic.’ And sit down. 

Nearly always got a laugh….And then I’d look hurt.

I should say I’d reached a position by the time I was 27 where I didn’t really have to worry too much how my peers reacted………I can see now that I was a pain in the arse!!…….Although my intention was always just to ‘break the ice’ and have fun at these poe-faced gatherings.

You have to understand it was a different time……..Another world………I wouldn’t get away with it today.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Beatlebug, Richard
4 January 2019
6.08am
TheWalrusWasBrian
fell off the roof AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
4287sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8I’m stealing this

IMG_3978.PNG|badge1.png | I don’t know how to put it here. hello for the love of god hello 

~~~

The Concert for Bageldesh

~~~

Walrian here! Not Fiddy, or anyone else, actually.

4 January 2019
9.55am
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1047
4288sp_Permalink sp_Print

As someone who does not own a smartphone or anything like it, I hate it when I see commercials and such where they want you to download an app and then give exclusive deals for these people.  It’s not fair for the rest of us.  In general, I don’t like people who own certain technology to have a cultural advantage over us who don’t.

Another example of this is the way Uber is only available to smartphone users.  You can’t call them on the phone to arrange a ride.

The following people thank Jolly Jimmy for this post:

Beatlebug, Richard

You are all my friends.

4 January 2019
11.22am
Shamrock Womlbs
Waiting for the van to come
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3973
4289sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jolly Jimmy said
[…]
Another example of this is the way Uber is only available to smartphone users.  You can’t call them on the phone to arrange a ride.  

But you are Jolly Jimmy, you always travel in your bus…don’t you? a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

The following people thank Shamrock Womlbs for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug

"I Need You by George Harrison"

4 January 2019
12.55pm
TheWalrusWasBrian
fell off the roof AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
4290sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jolly Jimmy said
As someone who does not own a smartphone or anything like it, I hate it when I see commercials and such where they want you to download an app and then give exclusive deals for these people.  It’s not fair for the rest of us.  In general, I don’t like people who own certain technology to have a cultural advantage over us who don’t.

YES I hate this! It’s like you can’t be a person without a smart phone in today’s society…

The following people thank TheWalrusWasBrian for this post:

Richard

IMG_3978.PNG|badge1.png | I don’t know how to put it here. hello for the love of god hello 

~~~

The Concert for Bageldesh

~~~

Walrian here! Not Fiddy, or anyone else, actually.

4 January 2019
1.58pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
4291sp_Permalink sp_Print

My dad went without a phone for years and years and a few months ago he finally broke down and got an iPhone and I can’t get used to it.

Pet peeve: the way some people just insist  on making small talk because they can’t stand silence. I don’t want to talk about where I’m applying for college with every new person I meet.

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug, Richard

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

4 January 2019
2.09pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4292sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jolly Jimmy said
In general, I don’t like people who own certain technology to have a cultural advantage over us who don’t.

Are you saying that there are smart phone owners whose sole intention of buying their smart phone was to have an advantage over people who don’t own one? 

4 January 2019
9.09pm
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members
4293sp_Permalink sp_Print

No, it’s the media and corporations where I have my gripe. They assume that everybody has one and uses it regularly.  They think something’s wrong with you if you don’t.

Another example is when there is a contest or special deal and they want you to text a word to a special number.  The rest of us are SOL. 

Still another example is the place where I get my haircut.  They want you to enter a cell phone number when checking in.  Landline phone won’t do. 

I admit that I only have a basic cell phone with talk and text which I get free for being on Medicaid.  No apps.  No selfies. No fancy ringtones.

My first mistake was ignoring cell phones when they first came out.  I considered them not relevant to my life.  They were more for people who are on the road a lot for their job or travel often.  I thought the majority of us would be content to wait till we got home for routine calls or use pay phones when necessary.  I did not factor in teenagers when they got older.

My second mistake was ignoring iPhones when they came out.  I was a PC user.  Since that was made by Apple, I thought that was just for Mac users.

So now I’m way out of touch with modern technology.

Richard, Beatlebug

You are all my friends.

4 January 2019
9.18pm
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members
4294sp_Permalink sp_Print

Shamrock Womlbs said

But you are Jolly Jimmy, you always travel in your bus…don’t you? a-hard-days-night-ringo-6  

No, that’s Alf.  I am your friendly courier.

I’m happy to say you still buy paper tickets from that Beatle lookalike in the shop.  No online orders.  No etickets.  All smartphones must be tossed in the dumpster before the magic trip begins.

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl

You are all my friends.

4 January 2019
9.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
4295sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jolly Jimmy said
I’m happy to say you still buy paper tickets from that Beatle lookalike in the shop.  No online orders.  No etickets.  All smartphones must be tossed in the dumpster before the magic trip begins.  

But you can’t, @Jolly Jimmy!!!! It’s now a kebab shop!!!

Rain-Grill-West-Malling.jpgImage Enlarger

Rain-Grill-West-Malling-Blue-Plaque.jpgImage Enlarger

My mate Ray lives in West Malling, so I’ve been in there, not a Beatle lookalike in sight, and no tickets for sale anymore…

a-hard-days-night-paul-10ahdn_john_08_gifahdn_john_08_gifahdn_john_08_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gif

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl

5 January 2019
10.06am
Jolly Jimmy
Candlestick Park
Members
4296sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess that is why ticket sales have been down lately.  I’m gonna have to have a talk with that dude.

I forgot to mention that there is no wi-fi on the bus either.  You have to actually talk to each other.  Or sing along with Shirley’s magic accordion.

50yearslate, Ahhh Girl

You are all my friends.

5 January 2019
12.51pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4297sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jolly Jimmy said
No, it’s the media and corporations where I have my gripe. They assume that everybody has one and uses it regularly.  They think something’s wrong with you if you don’t.

Pretty much everybody does have one, though. Companies do things through text and apps because that’s the way to reach the most people nowadays. From a marketing standpoint, that’s what makes the most sense. It has nothing to do with trying to “leave out” those who are not up to date on current technology. 

The following people thank Little Piggy Dragonguy for this post:

Beatlebug

5 January 2019
3.28pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
4298sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Ron Nasty Well, did you get a kebab in the shop or not?

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Ahhh Girl

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

5 January 2019
5.51pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

It has been known been to occur, @AppleScruffJunior, that I have wandered in there hoping for something magical to roll up and take me away.

The man behind the counter says, “You look more like him than I do!” which distracts me and ten to twenty minutes later, depending on the kebab and because we are both together, I have emerged with a kebab of one sort or another. Much to my shame.

The airfield is now a business park where I have to go for my medicals when the Government want to decide if I’m still ill.

paul-mccartneypaul-mccartneypaul-mccartney

AppleScruffJunior, Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl

5 January 2019
5.54pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
4300sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

The man behind the counter says, “You look more like him than I do!” which distracts me and ten to twenty minutes later, depending on the kebab and because we are both together, I have emerged with a kebab of one sort or another. Much to my shame.

Ahhh Girl

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Timpetus
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694