Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
2 August 2017
1.06pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4001sp_Permalink sp_Print

As a prelude, i’d like to mention that i live in the US, so this may be different to people living elsewhere.

Ron Nasty said
I Want To Hold Your Hand  was The Beatles biggest selling single (14 million worldwide), followed by Hey Jude  (8 million).

That may be true if we’re accounting for worldwide single sales but I’ve heard Hey Jude on the radio many more times than I Want To Hold Your Hand .

Ron Nasty said
Queen’s biggest selling was Another One Bites the Dust (7 million), followed by Bohemian Rhapsody (6.7 million), We Will Rock You doesn’t make the list.

There’s a very simple explanation for that. You see, for some stupid reason, Queen decided to make We Are The Champions the A-side and We Will Rock You the B-side instead of the other way around although the single is often unofficially referred to as a double A-side. Also, I’ve heard We Will Rock You more times than Bohemian Rhapsody and Another One Bites The Dust, especially considering that the 2 more successful Queen songs regarding international sales aren’t played at places where children will be and We Will Rock You is more often heard at events.

Ron Nasty said
The top selling single of all time remains Bing Crosby’s version of White Christmas (50 million), followed by Elton John’s Candle in the Wind ’97 (33 million). In all, there are 19 singles that have sold more than The Beatles best-selling single.

I hate to say it but you’ve got me there.

Ron Nasty said
There are many ways to measure these things however. If you look at lists that people have voted, be it a public vote or a jury vote, I have never seen one topped by Hey Jude , though it regularly places reasonably high, while We Will Rock You rarely ranks, and then quite low.

The problem with those lists is that they treat all ages equally. For example, someone born in 1933 is more likely to vote for Buddy Holly’s Peggy Sue than Weezer’s Buddy Holly.

If we want to make the lists fair, we have to split up the ages and only give a full vote for the song if it was released during the area of which the person matches up with. For example, we could so something like this, leaving room for overlap. It may seem unfair at first but when you think of it, people who grew up in the 60’s are more likely to know songs from the 60’s, people who grew up in the 70’s are more likely to know songs from the 70’s, etc., so it makes more sense to separate the votes from age and if for example, someone born in 1987 votes for Killer Queen, his vote only counts as half whereas if someone born in 1957 votes for Yellow Submarine , his vote counts as a full vote because he grew up during that era.

Follow this guideline or make one up yourself that’s very similar.

If you were born in between 1935 and 1948, your vote counts as a full vote if it’s a song released between 1950 and 1960

If you were born in between 1945 and 1958, your vote counts as a full vote if it’s a song released between 1960 and 1970

If you were born in between 1955 and 1968, your vote counts as a full vote if it’s a song released between 1970 and 1980

If you were born in between 1965 and 1978, your vote counts as a full vote if it’s a song released between 1980 and 1990

If you were born in between 1975 and 1988, your vote counts as a full vote if it’s a song released between 1990 and 2000

If you were born in between 1985 and 1998, your vote counts as a full vote if it’s a song released between 2000 and 2010

If you were born in between 1995 and 2008, your vote counts as a full vote if it’s a song released between 2010 and 2020

If you want to make it more fair, you could do 2 separate lists, one where age is ignored and another where you follow a rule like this. You’d get 2 completely different rankings if you do that. I bet if you used age segregation when doing a list like this that Hey Jude might top the list.

Ron Nasty said
And if you were to take it by the amount of covers a song gets, the Guinness Book of World Records recognizes Yesterday  as the most successful song of all-time with over 2,000 cover versions.

However, not all music listeners play music themselves.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

2 August 2017
1.29pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
4002sp_Permalink sp_Print

In reference to the amount of covers of Yesterday , the 2,000+ refers only to versions that have had an official release.

And while polls are always affected by the demographic they attract, many of those polls are conducted by music publications which often don’t have the size of older readership to heavily affect them. Magazines like Uncut and Mojo do have their fair share of older readers, and to a degree are aimed at them, as much of their content is about artists from the ’60s and ’70s, with Queen often featured.

Yes, the American sales figures does produce a different result, with both We Will Rock You and Bohemian Rhapsody outselling Hey Jude  (by some margin, in fact, The Beatles don’t even make the Top 100 best-selling singles. The fact remains that Bing’s White Christmas is the best-selling US single (25 million) and Elton’s Candle in the Wind ’97 still remains second (8,839,000).

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Dark Overlord

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

2 August 2017
6.03pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4003sp_Permalink sp_Print

Time for a Beatles related pet peeve, The Beatles Rock Band multitracks.

Don’t get me wrong, i love these multitracks but the way the tracks are separated is so inconvenient.

Let’s use A Hard Day’s Night as an example:

Here’s how The Beatles Rock Band sorts out the tracks:

T1/2:

Drums (Ringo)

T3/4:

Hofner bass (Paul)

T5/6:

Most of the song:

Rickenbacker 12-string rhythm guitar (George)

Rickenbacker rhythm guitar (John)

Solo:

Rickenbacker 12-string guitar solo overdub (George)

Piano solo overdub (George Martin)

T7/8:

Vocals (John and Paul)

Rickenbacker 12-string rhythm guitar (George, solo)

T9/10:

Count-in

Piano (George Martin, 1st note)

Gibson acoustic guitar (John)

Bongos (Ringo)

Cowbell (Ringo, bridge)

Rickenbacker 12-string rhythm guitar (George, solo)

Wouldn’t it be a lot more convenient to have the tracks laid out like so:

T1:

Drums

T2:

Bass

T3:

Electric rhythm guitar

T4:

Acoustic guitar

T5:

Piano

T6:

Vocals

T7:

Bongos

T8:

Cowbell

I hate how the tracks are scrambled up together.

2 August 2017
6.04pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
4004sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hate how people go and use the multi tracks without even buying/playing the game.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

2 August 2017
6.08pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4005sp_Permalink sp_Print

But what about all of the people like me who aren’t gamers but want to do Beatles remixes or want to listen to isolated tracks. I say you shouldn’t have to buy The Beatles Rock Band to listen to the isolated acoustic guitar on I’m Looking Through You for example. Also, it’s a real PITA to get the multitracks from your legitimately purchased game because you have to hack into the game to get it and like Ringo said in a song that isn’t playable in The Beatles Rock Band, It Don’t Come Easy.

2 August 2017
6.09pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
4006sp_Permalink sp_Print

Simple, buy the game then go and find another site to get multitracks.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

2 August 2017
7.08pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4007sp_Permalink sp_Print

What’s the point though, the creator doesn’t get a profit from people buying secondhand. If i buy The Beatles Rock Band at a yard sale, Paul McCartney isn’t getting a single penny for that specific transaction therefore you mind as well just get the multitracks the easy way if you have no interest in playing the game.

2 August 2017
8.00pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4008sp_Permalink sp_Print

Be thankful that you’ve got them in the first place. They’re a great resource, for multiple reasons, but obviously they had to change the multitracks a bit so the game could work properly (which becomes apparent why when you play the game).

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Martha

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

2 August 2017
9.14pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4009sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good point, i guess you’re right.

3 August 2017
4.02am
Flyingbrians
Robin Hood Country
Paris Olympia
Members
Forum Posts: 363
4010sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wrong thread probably but where abouts can I download the multitrack files? 

I have the game and played it by the way a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank Flyingbrians for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"And life flows on within you and without you" - George Harrison

3 August 2017
4.30am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
4011sp_Permalink sp_Print

Flyingbrians said
Wrong thread probably but where abouts can I download the multitrack files? 

I have the game and played it by the way a-hard-days-night-george-10  

A look around music download blogs and such will bring them up. You’ll also come across a gazillion fan remixes made from them.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Flyingbrians

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 August 2017
7.51pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
4012sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m convinced Windows updates are making my computer slower, another casualty for a supposed fascination and dedication to making it all better when in truth they simply make it worse.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 August 2017
9.29pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4013sp_Permalink sp_Print

And killing my battery life as well.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

14 August 2017
2.27pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
4014sp_Permalink sp_Print

Pet peeve #1: I have gotten a shirt form every Paul McCartney concert I’ve been to. The shirts from the first two concerts fit perfectly, but the shirts from the following concerts are all too long and big. I tuck them in and it’s fine, but it’s still annoying. 

Pet peeve #2: Moana is like my favorite movie, but every time I watch it I cry, but I don’t even know why, and I have to try so hard not to so I don’t look weak when I watch it with other people.

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

14 August 2017
3.08pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4015sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hate how i hate when females sing Beatles songs, they only sound right to me if a male is singing but at the same time i’m afraid that that’s sexist to think that way but at the same time The Beatles were all males and a female singing a song like While My Guitar Gently Weeps or Nowhere Man sounds unnatural in the same way that a male singing Janis Joplin or Adele would be, it feels wrong but i can’t help but feeling that way.

14 August 2017
3.10pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Dark Overlord said
I hate how i hate when females sing Beatles songs, they only sound right to me if a male is singing but at the same time i’m afraid that that’s sexist to think that way but at the same time The Beatles were all males and a female singing a song like While My Guitar Gently Weeps or Nowhere Man sounds unnatural in the same way that a male singing Janis Joplin or Adele would be, it feels wrong but i can’t help but feeling that way.  

Do you think John doesn’t sound unnatural singing ‘Baby It’s You ‘ or George singing ‘Chains ‘?

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Flyingbrians, WeepingAtlasCedars

14 August 2017
3.16pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
4017sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

Oh that’s a bit of an odd complaint, some covers of Beatles’ songs by women are lovely. I am particularly fond of this Scottish Gaelic cover of Blackbird i.e. Lon Dubh 

What I dislike is when female singers change the pronouns of love songs sung by men e.g. changing If I Fell to ‘If I give my heart to you/I must be sure from the very start/That you would love me more than him’

No, just no.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

14 August 2017
3.19pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
4018sp_Permalink sp_Print

No because I’ve only heard The Beatles version of songs like Baby It’s You and Please Mister Postman and i associate those songs with The Beatles and to be honest, it doesn’t bother me as much when a male sings a song originally by a girl, which is why it feels wrong to me to hate when a girl sings a Beatles song, although the main reason why i don’t have a problem with The Beatles singing songs like Boys is because i only know The Beatles version and associate the songs with The Beatles as opposed to their original artist.

14 August 2017
4.44pm
piggylane
y'know
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 137
4019sp_Permalink sp_Print

I quite like it when females sing the Beatles… If the singing itself is alright that is, it can give a nice vibe to a song. The thing you gotta get right is the general feel of it. 

The following people thank piggylane for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

The sun is up, the sky is blue, it’s beautiful, and so are you... probably... I actually don't know... and it's nighttime here //piggiesinpennylane

14 August 2017
5.19pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
4020sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not big on covers in general. Few I like.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

50yearslate

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Joe, Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22212, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691