Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
15 March 2017
10.09am
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1808
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3461sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
I just think forumpudlians are smart enough and creative enough to be able to express their ideas without using profanity in great quantities. I see the overuse of profanity as lazy. An occasional use of swear words makes them convey a stronger message when they are used.  

Doesn’t mean you need to temper someone.

The following people thank Evangeline for this post:

Starr Shine?

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

15 March 2017
10.42am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3462sp_Permalink sp_Print

This one pisses me off, unnecessary packaging. Many things have this problem, such as DVD slipcases, toy boxes, wrapping paper, and boxes for things that are so small, why even bother such as USB flash drives, this type of packaging has made stuff that has it super expensive, for example I dare you to buy an original Kenner Star Wars toy in the box for under $250. The most unnecessary packing example I can think of is this.

$_1.JPG

Why do we need a metal book protector, it’s not like someone’s going to try to shoot me while I read a book.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

15 March 2017
11.57am
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277
3463sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s quite true @Dark Overlord ! The worst ones are still all these plastic packages which are sometimes wrapped around the product in more than two layers. That’s not only annoying and expensive but also really bad for the environment!

The following people thank Martha for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

15 March 2017
2.14pm
Pablo Ramon
Some Time in NYC
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 687

Lavish packaging like what is pictured above is, to me anyway, different from the pointless packaging I find for ordinary consumer products. The old Star Wars toys go for $250 in the original packaging because collectors are obsessive about that kind of thing, not because the packaging itself is excessive. And lavish box sets of, say, Ringo photos, are simply designed for collectors who enjoy lavish packages.

When I think of excessive packaging, I think of stuff like this:

Image Enlarger

And toys – thank god my kids are really past the age where they play with things like action figures because they would always be fastened to cardboard inside a plastic bubble with some styrofoam to keep it stable inside a cardboard box, all exclusively for the purpose of making the product look good on the shelf. When you need a scissor, a screwdriver and the patience of a saint to get Barbie out of the packaging, something has gone radically wrong.

The following people thank Pablo Ramon for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, Dark Overlord, WeepingAtlasCedars
15 March 2017
2.54pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3465sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re mostly right except for one thing. You see Pablo, you forgot to mention that the reason collectors like toys in their original packaging is because no one kept the original packaging, most people just thought of it as garbage and I confess that I am part of this group as well, the sad part is that sometimes threw away other stuff like the accessories and the manual too making those things rare as well, this thing is especially prevalent in retro video games where people would throw away their boxes and sometimes even manuals not realizing that they were intended to be kept in the box, this is why N64 games lack end labels, SEGA were the first people to make boxes worth keeping by giving their Master System and most Genesis games clamshell cases although sadly, it didn’t catch on until the era of disc based games and SEGA started to return to cardboard boxes for some of their later titles.

15 March 2017
5.52pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3466sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is wonderfully trivial but the ticking in my new watch is extremely loud- it gets really annoying if I’m in a silent room. The clasp on my gorgeous old one that I’ve had since I was about 13 broke so I’m stuck with a boring old blue rubbery one until I get a new one either online or when I’m in Italy. 

Very first world problemy it is.

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

15 March 2017
7.29pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
3467sp_Permalink sp_Print

My pet peeve is shipping costs for buying things online. Like I realize that it costs money to ship things, and that it’s a necessary evil, but what I hate is if I want to buy some little thing online for like $1-5, the shipping will be the price of the item or higher. Then I’m forced to buy like $35 in stuff to make the shipping free, or at least not more than the actual item. This one is a little first world problemey too, but I feel like it is a problem.

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

15 March 2017
8.45pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3468sp_Permalink sp_Print

Let’s see how many I can do at once:

1. Tipping

I’m not going to give you extra money just because you’re a waiter/waitress, valet driver, delivery man, and or haircutter, that’d be a terrible idea of me, if you don’t already know by now I don’t tip, I actually took my mother out to lunch today and didn’t tip so she decided to tip herself, tipping is a scam so employers don’t have to pay their employees minimum wage, which they should.

2. Floating timelines

Come on, you’re telling me that you’ve been 10 for 30 years, The Simpsons is a classic example of this, Bart is turning 40 and somehow is still in 4th grade while Maggie is in her 30’s and still looks and acts like a baby, other examples include Family Guy, Looney Tunes, Sesame Street, and Rugrats (sort of), these people need to age.

3. When the page refreshes on you while you’re posting

This really pisses me off because it means that I wasted all of my time and now I have to rewrite everything and when this does happen, I typically write less than I was originally planning.

4. Those shows where children don’t see them as creepy and disturbing but adults do

Shows like Teletubbies and HR Puffinstuff come to mind, as a young child you don’t seem to think of it as frightening but when you look back on it, it has a creepiness factor which makes no sense because these shows are made for people who aren’t even potty trained yet.

5. When TV shows obscure stuff

Please don’t do this, classic examples include Mammy Two Shoes, that person from The Powerpuff Girls, Wilson from Home Improvement, Maggie’s voice in future episodes of The Simpsons, and the parents names in The Fairly OddParents, it’s one thing to hide it but it’s another thing to make it a gag, for example, if there’s an example with Wilson outside instead of just showing his whole face, they’ll put something stupid in the foreground like a rock or a picture just to obscure the bottom half of his face.

6. Gift cards

Why would you buy somebody a gift card when you could just give them that same amount in cash, a gift card is pointless and is essentially a card that prevents you from spending your money at other places, one of the biggest marketing scams since the pet rock.

7. Animal rights groups that use violence against humans

I don’t have a problem if you support animals but if you’re going to hurt humans to protect an inferior species, you’re the real evil not us. A classic example is ARM who literally sent bombs in people’s mailboxes most likely to kill them because of animals, like as if it’s a good idea to kill somebody to protect an animal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/…..ts_Militia

8. Classical music

Unlike most types of music such as jazz, pop, rock, rap, and country, classical music sucks because it’s typically depressing and it’s very rarely upbeat, it’s that genre of music that you have to have class to listen to, it’s just a sad type of music that I don’t like.

9. Torture

I think we can all agree, there’s no reason to do this, if you want someone to confess, try using bribing or other ways to get them to confess and if you want to punish them, there are more humane ways of doing that and if you want them to die, shoot them in head and get it over with.

10. Execution methods

Whether or not you believe in death row, you have to admit that it makes no sense that killing someone with a lethal injection is acceptable but shooting them in the head is not, what sort of logic is this, why are some ways of killing someone acceptable but others not, I’m not the most supportive of capital punishment but if you’re going to kill him just put a gun to his head and pull the trigger.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

15 March 2017
9.15pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3469sp_Permalink sp_Print

People can survive gun shots to the head.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

15 March 2017
11.24pm
William Shears Campbell
Rishikesh
Members
3470sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Dark Overlord said

Please don’t do this, classic examples include Mammy Two Shoes, that person from The Powerpuff Girls, Wilson from Home Improvement, Maggie’s voice in future episodes of The Simpsons, and the parents names in The Fairly OddParents, it’s one thing to hide it but it’s another thing to make it a gag, for example, if there’s an example with Wilson outside instead of just showing his whole face, they’ll put something stupid in the foreground like a rock or a picture just to obscure the bottom half of his face.

Actually Home Improvement has been on quite a bit in the background at my home lately. I saw an episode where Wilson was in their house for a Halloween party and he was wearing a Phantom of the Opera ish mask to cover one side of his face.

15 March 2017
11.26pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3471sp_Permalink sp_Print

People can survive a single shot to the head, but if you survive, they’ll just shoot you again and keep on doing it until you die and there is only 1 documented case of a firing squad failing to kill someone.

15 March 2017
11.45pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3472sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said

@Dark Overlord said

Actually Home Improvement has been on quite a bit in the background at my home lately. I saw an episode where Wilson was in their house for a Halloween party and he was wearing a Phantom of the Opera ish mask to cover one side of his face.  

Like this.

hqdefault.jpgImage Enlarger

Wilson actually did show his full face on a couple of occasions, the most notable one being in the series finale.

hqdefault.jpgImage Enlarger

But there’s also a couple of freeze frame moments.

Untitled.pngImage Enlarger

Harder to conceal with live action.

16 March 2017
7.51am
William Shears Campbell
Rishikesh
Members

@Dark Overlord
That looks like the episode. There were a couple times where he’s not behind the fence, but his face is usually always obscured.

16 March 2017
11.20am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043

gettingbetter said 

Nice to hear, but considering this is a forum with mostly adults, are obscenities really that fraud upon that you complimented me for not using any.  

I’m actually pretty foul-mouthed in real life, but keep it minimal here because that’s just not in the culture of the place. I don’t swear much here because I know it’d make me stick out like a sore thumb (and not in a good way).

The following people thank Necko for this post:

Dark Overlord

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

16 March 2017
11.28am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3475sp_Permalink sp_Print

Maybe you swerers can band together.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

16 March 2017
11.53am
Pablo Ramon
Some Time in NYC
Hollywood Bowl
Members
3476sp_Permalink sp_Print

gettingbetter said

1. Tipping

I’m not going to give you extra money just because you’re a waiter/waitress, valet driver, delivery man, and or haircutter, that’d be a terrible idea of me, if you don’t already know by now I don’t tip, I actually took my mother out to lunch today and didn’t tip so she decided to tip herself, tipping is a scam so employers don’t have to pay their employees minimum wage, which they should.

Well, I was ignoring this because frankly I am quite sure I won’t persuade you to change any part of this belief, but…

It may very well be true that the institution of tipping is flawed, but the reality is that the expectation of tips is built into the market for a number of service jobs like waiting tables, driving taxis, etc. The individuals who take that job anticipate the tips are part of the income that makes taking the job make economic sense for them – waiting tables without tips in the current structure is just not lucrative enough to induce people to take those jobs. Furthermore, service is provided competently or better with the expectation of that basic, baseline tip.

It may be 100% true that a better structure would be for business owners to pay a better wage, increase prices a bit and enforce a no tipping policy, but in withholding your tip, you are punishing / putting the onus of change on the one person who is most economically disadvantaged and in the absolute worst position to fix the problem. The waiter or waitress has the least power in the equation and your “protest” puts the brunt of the problem on them.

Personally, I’m pretty comfortable knowing that whatever the meal costs, I can expect to spend about 20% more on the tip – this leaves it to my discretion to reward particularly excellent service or to punish particularly bad service with my tip. The waiter or waitress earns roughly what they expected to earn, assuming they have done at least a competent job, I pay roughly what I expect to pay for my meal, and the restaurant owner earns what they expected to earn. 

By not tipping in an environment where tipping is anticipated as part of the economic structure, you are a free rider. You’re getting the benefit of the tipping structure – a meal cost that is ~20% lower – without the burden of tipping the waiter/waitress to fairly compensate them for their work in the expected manner.

I can’t believe I wrote this much about this subject. Something about it struck a nerve for me.

While we are at it I will also say that some people consider gift cards to be a nicer gift than cash, assuming that the gift giver chooses the gift card thoughtfully. And, also, there is plenty of great stuff in “classical” music, it is not NEARLY all “sad.” For me it has been an acquired taste, something I had to learn more about to appreciate, though rock and roll will always be my personal favorite, I would never rule any genre of music out as potentially offering something enjoyable. 

Ahhh Girl, WeepingAtlasCedars, WeepingAtlasCedars
16 March 2017
12.58pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3477sp_Permalink sp_Print

Problem is that people can get payed less because of things like sex or race due to tipping.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Dark Overlord

16 March 2017
1.27pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3478sp_Permalink sp_Print

The problem with tipping is that we’re playing along with what could be considered a corrupt businessman’s bribe where in reality if we all stopped tipping we could make it where the workers have to get paid minimum wage. Also about classical music Pablo Ramon, the problem I have with it is that unlike every other genre of music it requires class, hence the term CLASS-ical music and also there isn’t really upbeat classical music, there’s pleasant and romantic but not happy and upbeat whereas every other genre of music has upbeat music. Think of it this way, you can’t put a swing rhythm into classical music whereas you can in many other genres ranging from jazz, pop, rock, country, and even heavy metal, as seen with Black Sabbath’s Wicked World.

16 March 2017
1.32pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3479sp_Permalink sp_Print

Classical music is very broad. Like Baroque vs like um Rococo.

16 March 2017
2.13pm
Pablo Ramon
Some Time in NYC
Hollywood Bowl
Members
3480sp_Permalink sp_Print

gettingbetter said
The problem with tipping is that we’re playing along with what could be considered a corrupt businessman’s bribe where in reality if we all stopped tipping we could make it where the workers have to get paid minimum wage. Also about classical music Pablo Ramon, the problem I have with it is that unlike every other genre of music it requires class, hence the term CLASS-ical music and also there isn’t really upbeat classical music, there’s pleasant and romantic but not happy and upbeat whereas every other genre of music has upbeat music. Think of it this way, you can’t put a swing rhythm into classical music whereas you can in many other genres ranging from jazz, pop, rock, country, and even heavy metal, as seen with Black Sabbath’s Wicked World.  

Like Starr Shine said, “classical” music has come to encompass many, many different types of music. I had a professor in college who called it all “cultivated” music, as opposed to things like jazz, blues, pop, rock, etc. It has nothing to do with “class” – there are many, many classless individuals who prefer that type of music, I assure you. I would encourage you to broaden your horizons. Don’t be so sure you know everything you think you know. Saying “you can’t put a swing rhythm into classical music” is tautological – the instant something “swings” it becomes “non-classical.” 

I’m not trying to play like I know better. I don’t. I profess to know less and less every year of my life. The one thing I do know is that there is power and pleasure to be found in all art and, in particular, music. My kids are full of opinions about music, the only time I object – and believe me, they reject many many things I personally hold sacred – is when they rule something out by definition.

Dark Overlord
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694