Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
21 January 2017
8.57pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3241sp_Permalink sp_Print

@HMBeatlesfan said
This pisses me off, People who think Wikipedia is an unreliable source because it’s supposedly easy to edit. These dumbasses have clearly never tried to edit Wiki pages. I tried putting down the specific instruments in the articles for Nowhere Man and Paperback Writer (both with multiple sources) and 10 minutes later, I find out someone reverted my changes and stating that The Beatles Bible isn’t a reliable source. I’ve also tried editing other articles with accurate information with no avail.  

I actually used to think that Wikipedia was an unrealiable source, but then about a year and a half ago I learned that it is very difficult to edit.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

HMBeatlesfan, Necko

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

22 January 2017
6.52am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3242sp_Permalink sp_Print

When people ask a question in a thread while your question is still active.

Like one time, I had someone ask a question 1/2 an hour after I asked mine.

I say it is good to wait a day so you don’t overshadow someone else.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

22 January 2017
8.43am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
3243sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said
When people ask a question in a thread while your question is still active.

Like one time, I had someone ask a question 1/2 an hour after I asked mine.

I say it is good to wait a day so you don’t overshadow someone else.  

That was me. Apologies.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

22 January 2017
9.02am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3244sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not just you, happens with others too, I myself was guilty of this.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

22 January 2017
1.57pm
HMBeatlesfan
Kalamazoo, Seussville, USA
Candlestick Park
Guests
Forum Posts: 1115
3245sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said 
I actually used to think that Wikipedia was an unrealiable source, but then about a year and a half ago I learned that it is very difficult to edit.  

It’s great to see a fellow Wikipedia supporter, I wonder what you tried to edit.

Maybe you should try posting more.

22 January 2017
2.21pm
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests

This may feel like nitpicking, but it really pisses me off. As you may or may not know (if you don’t, you do now), John Lennon had 2 Fender Strats while with The Beatles, 1 that was Sonic Blue, which he used sparsely on Help ! and Rubber Soul (most notably, both he and George use theirs on Nowhere Man ), and the other with a painted headstock, which you will see in the photos below.

shapeimage_2.pngImage Enlarger

black-stratocaster2.jpgImage Enlarger
ch8.60-300x300.jpegImage Enlarger

20cf423c4995ec9189ae3c4af0182bf8.jpgImage Enlarger

Most people claim that this is a black Strat despite later color pictures of him using the guitar clearly show it’s red. If you think I’m bullshitting you or that it’s a different guitar, why not you look at the regular picture and then see it de-saturated.

compare.pngImage Enlarger

As you can see, it clearly looks black when de-saturated, yet professionals like Andy Babiuk claim that the guitar is black, it makes me pissed off.

The following people thank HMBeatlesfan for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, pepperland

22 January 2017
4.07pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629

@HMBeatlesfan said

It’s great to see a fellow Wikipedia supporter, I wonder what you tried to edit.  

Actually what happened was that in school we were taught not to use Wikipedia on our research projects, because it was unreleliable, due to it being able to be edited. Then years later, in my Junior year in highschool, my English teacher showed us that Wikipedia was actually a very reliable source, because it is not easy to edit, it’s moderated, and some pages you need to be a certain rank on the website in order to edit them. He then explained that the reason we shouldn’t use it for research papers is because it’s a 3rd party source, so a Wikipedia article is basically a research paper in and of itself.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

HMBeatlesfan, Beatlebug, pepperland, WeepingAtlasCedars

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

22 January 2017
4.18pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3248sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wiki was banned as a source when I was in college to the point where you had marks removed if you cited it. One reason was that it was considered a dubious source, another being that you were to bother your backside in sourcing material from primary sources than spending 5 minutes looking on wiki and a further 10 minutes rewriting it.

I know someone was caught copying and pasting from it and was removed from the HNC. An absolute idiot for plagiarising.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

William Shears Campbell, HMBeatlesfan, HMBeatlesfan, HMBeatlesfan, HMBeatlesfan, Beatlebug

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

22 January 2017
4.30pm
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
3249sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said

Actually what happened was that in school we were taught not to use Wikipedia on our research projects, because it was unreleliable, due to it being able to be edited. Then years later, in my Junior year in highschool, my English teacher showed us that Wikipedia was actually a very reliable source, because it is not easy to edit, it’s moderated, and some pages you need to be a certain rank on the website in order to edit them. He then explained that the reason we shouldn’t use it for research papers is because it’s a 3rd party source, so a Wikipedia article is basically a research paper in and of itself.  

Great to see teachers growing some balls and telling people the truth instead of the answer the government wants you to hear, it’s funny because there are plenty of sites more inaccurate than Wikipedia. I do recommend using looking at the sources Wikipedia states though and citing those.

meanmistermustard said
Wiki was banned as a source when I was in college to the point where you had marks removed if you cited it. One reason was that it was considered a dubious source, another being that you were to bother your backside in sourcing material from primary sources than spending 5 minutes looking on wiki and a further 10 minutes rewriting it.

I would’ve written one of my papers using inaccurate sources that aren’t Wikipedia just to piss them off, maybe use Uncyclopedia a couple of times.

SgtPeppersBulldog, William Shears Campbell

22 January 2017
4.43pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3250sp_Permalink sp_Print

HMBeatlesfan said

Great to see teachers growing some balls and telling people the truth instead of the answer the government wants you to hear, it’s funny because there are plenty of sites more inaccurate than Wikipedia. I do recommend using looking at the sources Wikipedia states though and citing those.

meanmistermustard said

I would’ve written one of my papers using inaccurate sources that aren’t Wikipedia just to piss them off, maybe use Uncyclopedia a couple of times.  

For us the internet was ok in moderation but it was far preferable to use books. 

This was only 6 years ago.

22 January 2017
5.34pm
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
3251sp_Permalink sp_Print

That’s funny because for me, books have been obsolete since about 2005 because you can get all the information you want either online, free internet downloads, or programs like uTorrent, so books are more like a novelty item, at least to me.

William Shears Campbell

22 January 2017
6.35pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3252sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Wikipedia cites sources, could just use their sources

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

HMBeatlesfan, HMBeatlesfan, HMBeatlesfan

22 January 2017
7.41pm
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
3253sp_Permalink sp_Print

But do you get in trouble if you’re caught using Wikipedia, even if you’re just citing the sources within.

22 January 2017
8.30pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3254sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nope.

22 January 2017
11.12pm
moriz
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 127
3255sp_Permalink sp_Print

If I’m having trouble finding sources to use, I go to Wikipedia to get a vague outline of the thing I’m going to write about and then go to the sources they cited. Then I branch out from there to find individual research papers and the like.

Also, a pet peeve loosely related to this topic: My school has an automated plagiarism checker that you are required to put all essays over a certain length through before you turn them in.

It’s completely useless and barely functions. It only checks the paper you upload against papers other students have uploaded and against the school’s assigned reading books. You could theoretically plagiarise an entire article from the internet and as long as it was obscure enough for your teacher to not notice, you wouldn’t get in trouble for it at all. It’s also broken in that it detects direct quotes from the textbooks or assigned reading material as plagiarism, even if they’re properly sourced. All of my teachers are annoyed and so far nothing has been done to fix it after 3 years.

The following people thank moriz for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars
22 January 2017
11.22pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
3256sp_Permalink sp_Print

That would piss me off no end….

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

moriz

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

23 January 2017
12.04am
Starr Test
Owned by Starr Shine? agian
The Cavern Club
Guests
Forum Posts: 78
3257sp_Permalink sp_Print

Back in my day, computers were fantasy items the size of a room that were only seen in science labs and on shows like Star Trek and the internet was unheard of, so we had to use our textbooks, card catalogues, dictionaries, encyclopedias, and guessing to get the answers right.

@starr-test   (use starr-test to @t me)

23 January 2017
12.48am
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
3258sp_Permalink sp_Print

moriz said
Also, a pet peeve loosely related to this topic: My school has an automated plagiarism checker that you are required to put all essays over a certain length through before you turn them in.

Back when I was in college, I used a similar program. It would put every paper I turned in as 1% plagiarized because I had my last name at the top of the page and I had used the service previously. 

The following people thank Necko for this post:

moriz, Beatlebug, pepperland, WeepingAtlasCedars

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

23 January 2017
7.33am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
3259sp_Permalink sp_Print

My university has a program like that too, @moriz. Luckily in my position I don’t have to deal with it much. I just have to show students how to upload their papers if they haven’t done it before and ask me to show them how to do it.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

moriz
23 January 2017
11.56am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3260sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Is it TurnItIn? They use that in my college but I haven’t had to use it yet. 

Pet Peeve: On Mondays I’m in college from 9-5 but I only have 4 hours of classes. Stupid blank spaces on timetables and living too far away from the college to make going in and out convenient. I envy the people who live in the shit accommodation on campus that’s only 5 minutes away.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690