Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Pet Peeves
29 November 2016
3.12pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3001sp_Permalink sp_Print

HMBeatlesfan said

AppleScruffJunior said
I think school should be compulsory until the age of 15/16 (or whatever age you do your GCSEs/Junior Cert whatever at). It’s best to leave school with some qualification even at a basic level.

Name me one thing that a 7 year old can’t do that’s taught in school and important in real life, I sure can’t think of one. Happy 3,000th post on this page.

Well I know in business when I was 13 & 14, you learned the major terms for employment- P45, P60, how to run a meeting, how to write a cheque (yep they’re still used here) and how to do out an invoice/do basic bookkeeping. All very important if you wanted to become a SME owner or become self-employed.

In secondary school I learned German and French which I use on a regular basis, talking to friends/writing to penpals, reading books and I’ll hopefully become employed because of my language skills after college

In English, I learned how to do a proper report, how to do a CV/Cover Letter etc. 

I didn’t do practical subjects but my brothers learned how to weld, solder, file, and craft metal and wood properly in woodwork and metalwork. Useful if you want to become a carpenter, electrician, mechanic.

You learn the basics about life in your first few years of secondary school but the things you learn in the 2nd half are definitely things you would only need if you wanted to pursue that subject in further education.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug, HMBeatlesfan, WeepingAtlasCedars

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

29 November 2016
3.27pm
HMBeatlesfan
Kalamazoo, Seussville, USA
Candlestick Park
Guests
Forum Posts: 1115
3002sp_Permalink sp_Print

Didn’t learn any of that stuff in school, although considering that I dropped out of 8th grade, I never actually went to high school. My father taught me a lot of business and woodworking things, such as investing in stocks, filing my taxes, how to get a job, how to fix a chair, how to whittle, how to fix a broken window, gun safety, etc.. Also, knowing a language other than English wouldn’t help you here in the US.

Maybe you should try posting more.

29 November 2016
4.22pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

HMBeatlesfan said
Didn’t learn any of that stuff in school, although considering that I dropped out of 8th grade, I never actually went to high school. My father taught me a lot of business and woodworking things, such as investing in stocks, filing my taxes, how to get a job, how to fix a chair, how to whittle, how to fix a broken window, gun safety, etc.. Also, knowing a language other than English wouldn’t help you here in the US.  

Spanish- a lot of people from Central and South America live in the US, some of whom have very limited English skills.

German- If you want to visit Pennsylvania

French- If you want to visit certain parts of Canada, Louisiana, Missouri, New England, Maine

You also have variants of Chinese, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Italian, Dutch- all widely spoken in the US, (fun fact, Irish is the 76th most spoken language in America ooohhh) 

Having languages in general is just an excellent employment advantage, with 3 international languages (at the minute, I am practicing Italian, Japanese and Cantonese- but wouldn’t consider any of them higher than my French, German and Irish) I will always be chosen over a person with just a bog standard business degree because I can communicate with foreign nations and could help a company expand their business.

Eight grade would be first year in Irish schools, which means you wouldn’t have learned much of what I mentioned above. If you’d done another year or two you definitely would have covered things that I mentioned.

Good on your dad though, job well done!

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug, HMBeatlesfan, Necko, WeepingAtlasCedars

29 November 2016
8.46pm
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
3004sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said 

Spanish- a lot of people from Central and South America live in the US, some of whom have very limited English skills.

Though I will admit there are a few Spanish speakers near where I live in Florida, it’s only because we’re close to Cuba and even then, the English to Spanish ratio in even the biggest Spanish communities in the US is maybe 5,000:1 at the most.

German- If you want to visit Pennsylvania.

I’ve been to Pennsylvania and there are no German speaking people.

French- If you want to visit certain parts of Canada, Louisiana, Missouri, New England, Maine.

The only answer you got right is Quebec, and even then when I hopped the US Canada border for a friend’s birthday party so we could drink legally, a lot of the Quebec people knew English.

You also have variants of Chinese, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Italian, Dutch- all widely spoken in the US, (fun fact, Irish is the 76th most spoken language in America ooohhh)

A ratio of English to all of those languages combined in the US would be 22,111,968:1.

29 November 2016
10.31pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3005sp_Permalink sp_Print

For German, your talking about Pennsylvanian Dutch, the Amish speak that and they learn English and High German along with that.

Canada is the US apparently.

Should of mentioned Hawaiian. Got a situation not unlike Ireland.

With advancing technology, software like Google translate can be perfected.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

29 November 2016
11.18pm
Necko
Earth
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8043
3006sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s just about time for more Facebook peeves.

People who are always posting these chain statuses that demand that you do something. You know, all that “If you’re really my friend, tell me ten things I like, my blood type, and my social security number” nonsense. If I have to prove that I’m your friend every other day, I don’t want you as a friend. 

The following people thank Necko for this post:

The Hippie Chick

I'm Necko.  I'm like Ringo except I wear necklaces.

I'm also ewe2 on weekends.

Most likely to post things that make you go hmm... 2015, 2016, 2017. 

30 November 2016
2.01am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
3007sp_Permalink sp_Print

Too true @Necko. And the statuses that that are just pointless tagging sprees really annoy me. Can you Imagine what would happen if I tagged 30-odd people here? They’d be hell to pay, and yet it is fine to do it on Facebook. Grrrrr…

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

2 December 2016
4.48pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
3008sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
Queen’s music being whored out in commercials. I don’t care if their meaningless but catchy pop songs are used but I just saw a Christmas food ad with ‘These Are The Days of Our Lives’- pretty much Freddie’s goodbye song to his fans…and Brian, Rodger and John approved the use of it?!? F**king hell no respect.  

It was just on the telly, it isn’t for food as I thought but clothes- yuck.

2 December 2016
5.16pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944

AppleScruffJunior said
Queen’s music being whored out in commercials. I don’t care if their meaningless but catchy pop songs are used but I just saw a Christmas food ad with ‘These Are The Days of Our Lives’- pretty much Freddie’s goodbye song to his fans…and Brian, Rodger and John approved the use of it?!? F**king hell no respect.  

John gave his approval for Brian and Roger to be the decision makers years ago. I don’t think he takes much notice. 

What’s happening to Queen’s catalogue is horrific with tracks being used to sell all kinds of shit, but then they’ve been shitting on Queen’s brand for years with singers taking the place of Freddie and missing the mark by light years, shite collaborations and even worse remixes.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 December 2016
2.15pm
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1808
3010sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is a weird one…
Peppermint flavoured candy canes. a-hard-days-night-paul-3 They taste just like mint toothpaste, and that’s not a good thing.

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

8 December 2016
2.17pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3011sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’ll probably hate your mint records then.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Necko, WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

8 December 2016
2.45pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members

Myself and my 4 BFFs (girl power etc.) were going having a Harry Potter marathon over the Christmas with each person screening 2 films at their house, we had a group chat set up on Facebook and one of my friends added 2 girls who I rarely talk to the group chat and now I’m meant to have them over at my house to watch HP….why?

Also we’re running a stocking system where we each buy a small gift for each other and put them in a stocking so everyone ends up with a load of things- so now I have to buy 2 more presents grrrr.

Eff off, my house :/ 

That and I don’t even know what the other 2 even like, I have perfect gifts picked out for the other 4 but now I have to get 2 more and I don’t want people to be getting similar gifts because they will end up getting jealous over what someone else got etc.

(^ Well that’s not very Christmassy of you ASJ!)

10 December 2016
7.28am
The Hippie Chick
Counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
3013sp_Permalink sp_Print

I have a friend on Facebook who CONSTANTLY posts to people’s Timelines when she ought to just send them a PM there instead. Drives me nuts. Facebook has messaging! There’s a use for it!

The following people thank The Hippie Chick for this post:

William Shears Campbell, The Hole Got Fixed

“She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”  - J.D. Salinger

10 December 2016
11.10am
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
3014sp_Permalink sp_Print

This one has probably been said a million times, but a lack of actual Beatles music on YouTube and if you want a more original complaint, the fact that beatlesebooks says that George used a Gibson SG on I Want To Tell You . I want to say that beatlesebooks is the ultimate Beatles source when it comes to finding out what guitars The Beatles used on each song, but until he edits that page, I can’t stand by that statement.

The following people thank HMBeatlesfan for this post:

William Shears Campbell

10 December 2016
1.02pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3015sp_Permalink sp_Print

People who don’t say that they are covers in the title of videos.

AppleScruffJunior, The Hippie Chick, William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

10 December 2016
2.04pm
The Hippie Chick
Counting the holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1387
3016sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said
People who don’t say that they are covers in the title of videos.  

OMG yes, this drives me insane. I think they do it on purpose so you’ll click through.

The following people thank The Hippie Chick for this post:

Starr Shine?, William Shears Campbell, Beatlebug

“She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.”  - J.D. Salinger

10 December 2016
3.55pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
3017sp_Permalink sp_Print

@HMBeatlesfan said
This one has probably been said a million times, but a lack of actual Beatles music on YouTube

The most annoying thing with this is the fact that it makes it harder to share Beatles music with friends.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

Beatlebug

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

10 December 2016
9.02pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
3018sp_Permalink sp_Print

@William Shears Campbell said

The most annoying thing with this is the fact that it makes it harder to share Beatles music with friends.  

Exactly. For instance, if I want my band to play, say, ‘Something ‘, I can’t send them a YouTube of the song, because it won’t be there. All that’s up are George’s and Paul’s live versions and covers. 

Also if you’re posting on, say, the Fab Forum, and you want to pinpoint a particular song fragment, you can’t post ‘@1:14 in this video’. 

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

William Shears Campbell

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

10 December 2016
9.45pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
3019sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dailymotion has most of them up.

A minor pet peeve is thanks dissonance.

Like when someone says that a post is great yet doesn’t thank the post.

WeepingAtlasCedars, HMBeatlesfan

11 December 2016
8.13am
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
3020sp_Permalink sp_Print

People who refuse to eat meat on Fridays during lent, so therefore eat fish instead. That’s so contradicting, it’s like me saying “I can’t play video games during December, so therefore I’ll go to the arcade and play Ms. Pac Man instead” or “I can’t watch TV this week, so I’ll just watch the news on TV instead”, it makes no sense.

The following people thank HMBeatlesfan for this post:

Little Piggy Dragonguy

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690