Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Introduce yourself to the forum!
1 February 2022
11.14am
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 717
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4641sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rube said
@meaigs Welcome to the forum! I have listened to every solo album by Paul, including the classical ones. What is your favourite album you’ve heard so far? 

Thanks @Rube It’s hard to pick! In vaguely descending order of enjoyment (subject to change ahdn_john_08_gif)

Ram immediately grabbed me, and has gotten a lot of re-listens.

McCartney II is so fun.

I love McCartney and every time I got back to it I’m shocked it was so poorly received. Even Ringo said it was terrible at the time!

McCartney III didn’t work for me the first time I tried it, but I watched it on YouTube, and I think the videos really came between me and hearing it properly (possibly also the aging in his voice). I’ve had it on repeat a couple of times since though 🙂

Memory Almost Full is lovely, but melancholy. Needs another listen.

Flowers In The Dirt starts strong, but my interest waned.

I listened to Kisses On The Bottom the other day, and *really* enjoyed the first half, but found the second half boring (I don’t know know if it was too samey and the second half is just too much like the first, or the songs are less familiar to me, or what. I’ll give it another chance at some point).

Egypt station didn’t grab me, but I will give it another try.

What’s your fav?

The following people thank meaigs for this post:

Rube

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

-- Jason Carty, Nothing is Real podcast

1 February 2022
11.21am
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1395
4642sp_Permalink sp_Print

@meaigs I hope you enjoy listening to the rest of his albums. I love all of them, but my favourite is Flaming Pie

Winner of Most Hardcore Beatles Bible Fan 2021

mosthardcore.png

6 February 2022
4.04pm
caoimh
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 1
4643sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi,

I’m a long-time Beatles fan from the north west of England (about 13 miles from Liverpool city centre).

I’ve been into the Beatles since I was a teenager in the 90s (they were basically what inspired me to get into music).

I’d love to get to know other Beatles fans from all over the world and join in discussions here.

Cheers!

The following people thank caoimh for this post:

Rube, Starlessraven
6 February 2022
5.10pm
meaigs
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 717
4644sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome @caoimh !

heart

My hot take is that after the Beatles split they went down the paths of spiritualism, solipsism, alcoholism, and Paul McCartney

-- Jason Carty, Nothing is Real podcast

6 February 2022
6.36pm
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
4645sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome, @meaigs & @caoimh!!!!  Its nice to have some new forumpoolian faces around the ol’ forumpool

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

meaigs, Von Bontee, Rube

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

7 February 2022
11.08am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
4646sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome, @caoimh, from north of England way. Please do jump in to the conversations!

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Rube
8 February 2022
8.39am
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
4647sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to The Fab Forum @caoimh! It’s lovely to meet you. 

mosthardcore.png

9 March 2022
6.02pm
Starlessraven
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
Forum Posts: 25

Hello folks,

And greetings to all. It’s been a bit painful to access this site, but technology and I haven’t always been good neighbours. But here’s best wishes from Devon, UK. I guess there’s been plenty said about the wonders of this music. I’m interested in the earliest Beatles autographs. Having sold my soul to the devil I’m the humble owner of the signed ticket stub by George Harrison , John Lennon and Pete Best at the Church Hall, Youth Club, Birkenhead on February 10 1962. I’m aware of another 1961 set from the Cavern Club, and a pre- Beatles’59/60 set of autographs held by the owner of Tracks, the teenagers signing their broken down vehicle’s rescuers as Paul Ramone (McCartney)! John Lennon , Carl -something (Harrison) and possibly Dewey (Something ). This he’s understandably kept as an historical artifact. Obviously, there were many pre ‘62 autographs, but does anyone know if they still exist?

Good wishes to you all,

keep the faith.

The following people thank Starlessraven for this post:

vonbontee, Rube
11 March 2022
3.30am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4649sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome @Starlessraven ! I can’t help you about how many pre ’62 autographs exist (although other may be able to), but that’s so cool that you’ve got that stub signed by 3 Beatles!

Hope to see you around the foruma-hard-days-night-john-6

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Starlessraven, Rube

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

11 March 2022
12.48pm
Starlessraven
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
4650sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good evening folks,

Here is the early ‘62 signed ticket. Hopefully it’ll stir some memories of anything lurking prior to February ‘62.

Kind Regards to all.

6B0BD3C3-19A6-49CB-912F-01D93F9045CA.pngImage Enlarger

Richard, Rube
13 March 2022
2.43pm
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
4651sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome to the Fab Forum @Starlessraven! That’s amazing that you own an actual ticket from 1962. 

I got a piece of the original Casbah Club stage signed by Pete Best, a certificate of authenticity also signed by Pete and a photo of John, Paul and George to go with it. It’s cool to own an item that not many will have.  

The following people thank Rube for this post:

Starlessraven

mosthardcore.png

14 March 2022
4.00am
Starlessraven
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
4652sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rube said
Welcome to the Fab Forum @Starlessraven! That’s amazing that you own an actual ticket from 1962. 

I got a piece of the original Casbah Club stage signed by Pete Best, a certificate of authenticity also signed by Pete and a photo of John, Paul and George to go with it. It’s cool to own an item that not many will have.  

Hi Rube,

Thanks, that’s fascinating. I’ve visited The Cavern, but not the Casbah Club. Do you think it’s worth the trip? Does it still retain a lot of authenticity? Enjoy your artefacts, they do resonate in my view.

best wishes,

Rube
14 March 2022
2.21pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
4653sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi @Starlessraven and welcome to the forum.

Myself I’d recommend the Casbah over the Cavern every time. Great as the Cavern is, it’s a rebuild on a different site to the original (the original was roughly where the Cavern Pub now is), whereas the Casbah is exactly the same as it was when the Beatles played there, even down to their painting of the room still being there, John’s graffiti carved into the wall, and the dent in the ceiling from John’s guitar hitting it. After it shut it just went back to being a basement where the Best family stored their junk, so when they realised it was a possible earner, they just had to clear the junk out, all the original club features were there as they were the day it closed. I don’t know if he still does, but Roag (son of Neil Aspinall and Mona Best) often used to the guided tours, and he’s quite the character.

On the question of your autographs, I’m guessing you want to know if your fantastic set are the earliest known, I’m afraid I know of several 1961 examples, including at least two signed Cavern Club 1961 members cards, a Cavern lunchtime ticket, and another from Huyton Hall if I recall correctly. Yours are a good set of early set of early autographs, but there are definitely sets that date to 1961, and more appear as those early fans pass away and their relatives go through their belongings and find a signed something they never knew existed.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Rube, Ahhh Girl, Starlessraven

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 March 2022
3.31pm
Rube
United Kingdom
Candlestick Park
Members
4654sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Starlessraven I have not visited The Casbah Club, but I hope to go later this year. Have you been to the Liverpool Beatles Museum? Roag created it and was launched in 2018. Again, I have not been, but I have heard very good things about it. I want to go there. 

The following people thank Rube for this post:

Starlessraven

mosthardcore.png

15 March 2022
3.07am
Starlessraven
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
4655sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Hi @Starlessraven and welcome to the forum.

Myself I’d recommend the Casbah over the Cavern every time. Great as the Cavern is, it’s a rebuild on a different site to the original (the original was roughly where the Cavern Pub now is), whereas the Casbah is exactly the same as it was when the Beatles played there, even down to their painting of the room still being there, John’s graffiti carved into the wall, and the dent in the ceiling from John’s guitar hitting it. After it shut it just went back to being a basement where the Best family stored their junk, so when they realised it was a possible earner, they just had to clear the junk out, all the original club features were there as they were the day it closed. I don’t know if he still does, but Roag (son of Neil Aspinall and Mona Best) often used to the guided tours, and he’s quite the character.

On the question of your autographs, I’m guessing you want to know if your fantastic set are the earliest known, I’m afraid I know of several 1961 examples, including at least two signed Cavern Club 1961 members cards, a Cavern lunchtime ticket, and another from Huyton Hall if I recall correctly. Yours are a good set of early set of early autographs, but there are definitely sets that date to 1961, and more appear as those early fans pass away and their relatives go through their belongings and find a signed something they never knew existed.

Hi Ron Nasty,

Thank you for this fascinating insight. I thought The Cavern was pretty much in its original location, it having been filled in was then merely excavated again? How far away from the current site would the original have been?

Your information about the early autographs is just what I’ve been searching for, I’m most grateful. Any images out there!?

Rube
15 March 2022
3.11am
Starlessraven
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
4656sp_Permalink sp_Print

Rube said
@Starlessraven I have not visited The Casbah Club, but I hope to go later this year. Have you been to the Liverpool Beatles Museum? Roag created it and was launched in 2018. Again, I have not been, but I have heard very good things about it. I want to go there. 

Hi Rube,

I’ve not been to museum either. I didn’t know Roag was also involved with that. I think it’ll be another trip up to Liverpool later this year for me too.

Rube
21 March 2022
10.12am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
4657sp_Permalink sp_Print

While the new Cavern occupies much of the original space, @Starlessraven, taking in around 70% of the original, many things are in different places, such as the entrance (the original place for the entrance is now the fire escape), as well as being a larger club. The stage in the main club is a floor above the original, while the stage on the lower level used for proper gigs, the one that Paul has played on, is around twenty feet off where the original stage was.

And, by the way, you are a lucky sod for having such early autographs. Framed and hanging on the wall, never to be parted from? They would be if I owned them. Gold dust that I’d never part from. Like I say, lucky sod! a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Starlessraven, Rube

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

21 March 2022
12.53pm
Starlessraven
Casbah Coffee Club
Members

Well, I haven’t got a Cavern brick……yet!

Rube
21 March 2022
3.03pm
Starlessraven
Casbah Coffee Club
Members
4659sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
While the new Cavern occupies much of the original space, @Starlessraven, taking in around 70% of the original, many things are in different places, such as the entrance (the original place for the entrance is now the fire escape), as well as being a larger club. The stage in the main club is a floor above the original, while the stage on the lower level used for proper gigs, the one that Paul has played on, is around twenty feet off where the original stage was.

And, by the way, you are a lucky sod for having such early autographs. Framed and hanging on the wall, never to be parted from? They would be if I owned them. Gold dust that I’d never part from. Like I say, lucky sod! a-hard-days-night-george-10

Thank you Mr. N. for illuminating The Cavern for me, much appreciated. It had a resonance that felt authentic when I visited, reassuring to hear that I was indeed (somewhat) in the zone. I still find it difficult to believe that the place was actually trashed at all. Who made that crazy decision?

Ha! I do feel lucky! The autographs are indeed my blanket of joy, and will not be parted with. They too resonate with an authenticity,  which is why I bought them. There’s a minefield of fake and ‘semi-fake’ autographs out there. These glow with age. Glad you like them, promise I’ll look after them.

Not too sure my wife shares my enthusiasm however. As long as I can keep hiding the bank statements she’ll just think it’s a late mid-life crisis of sorts. Mum’s the word!

Rube
8 June 2022
8.19pm
pepperland
vanished in the haze (England)
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 749
4660sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi everyone. john-lennon-salute_gif

My name is Sean so you can call me that or pepperland or peppy or whatever.

I’m not new really as I’ve been on this site for many years, I was around from 2012-2018, with several of those years being a daily user and poster. I wonder if anyone remembers me? a-hard-days-night-john-6 I was quite active back in the day, when I was in my teens and I’m 21 now, just finished a bunch of uni work so I’m finally feeling relaxed enough to come back here.

It’s very sweet seeing a bunch of people I remember from back in the day still using the site regularly. I remember so many of you very well. I think the last few years I’ve got a lot more worldly wise and I think I could bring a lot of insight to the table now. I’ve never stopped loving the Beatles, I don’t know if that’s even possible. My obsession for the band has done nothing but grow as I get older and understand more and more. I even wrote a decent essay on why ‘I Want I Hold Your Hand’ is actually an incredibly written song. I didn’t really appreciate that song too much until I analysed it (I was more of a She Loves You guy), but the structure and chord changes of that song are dang clever.

But yeah, here’s some reminders about me. I live in Nottingham, England at the mo and I’m doing a degree in Music and Audio Technology, although I spend way too much time playing instruments and singing harmony parts in the studio instead of being behind the mixing desk. All my love for the Beatles came from when my Dad first gave me the ‘1’ album when I was about 5 and the only music I listened to in my childhood were the 2009 remastered CDs (and I listened to them a lot). I only really tried listening to other non-Beatle music when I was about 14, and a lot of that was just the solo stuff anyway. a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

So yeah, hi again. Sorry for buggering off and I’m excited to hopefully reunite with some old friends and maybe even make some new ones!

Sorry for the long post!

The following people thank pepperland for this post:

sigh butterfly, meaigs, Ahhh Girl, vonbontee, Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, Rube

Times I find it hard to say / With useless words getting in my waySuprised about this one.Sad about this one

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Richard
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691