Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Introduce yourself to the forum!
25 March 2020
1.05pm
TangerineTrees
Behind That Locked Door
London Palladium
Members
Forum Posts: 125
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4461sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome @Moon Dog and @GIMH to the forum! a-hard-days-night-george-9john-lennon-salute_gif

To GIMH: Revolver is definitely one of my favorite albums, but Help has lots of standout tracks. Feel free to respond to any topic you want to. 

To Moon Dog: Cudos to you for getting into the Beatles, even after your professor said otherwise. I also agree with you that its really hard to decide a favorite album by the Beatles, they are all so good! 

The following people thank TangerineTrees for this post:

GIMH

"Everyone should have themselves regularly overwhelmed by nature." ~ George Harrison

"I'm Nobody! Who are you? Are you -- Nobody -- too?" ~ Emily Dickinson

25 March 2020
1.39pm
Moon Dog
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 6

Ahhh Girl said
Welcome to the forum, @Moon Dog . Did you teacher tell you why they hated The Beatles? How old is the teacher? I’m glad you’re a free thinker and didn’t just take the teacher’s word for it. paul-mccartney-thumb_gif You obviously have better taste in music than your professor!

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me! No, not really. They did point out Yellow Submarine as one of their most disliked songs ever though, so they probably only have a very casual view of the Beatles. They’re about early 30s.

The following people thank Moon Dog for this post:

Ahhh Girl, lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, TangerineTrees
25 March 2020
2.03pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
4463sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gotta get that person listening to Rain , In My Life , Two of Us, etc. They NEED to understand how great The Beatles really are!

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed
25 March 2020
2.21pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
4464sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just play them the entirety of Rubber Soul a-hard-days-night-george-10ahdn_john_08_gif

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Ahhh Girl

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

30 March 2020
2.18pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

I’ve just found this, even tho I registered back in September. I’ve never been in any forum before so excuse me if I get confused pretty often.

My name is Julian (yeah I knowahdn_john_08_gif), I turned eighteen three days ago. I’m Argentinian, I speak Spanish mainly. I learned English back in school and (oddly enough) watching Smosh a lot when I was a toddler. So my English is pretty sketchy. Not that I can’t formulate sentences, but I mostly speak in a British accent yet once in a while I use American expressions. I’m currently working actually as en English translator. Now with the coronavirus issue in Argentina we are to stay at home by law, otherwise we’ll be arrested, which is an approach I agree with (I don’t really know how this works in other countries, I understand in America not every state has obligatory isolation). Well, the point is lately I’ve had more work than ever, considering I already work at home, and now there’s a lot more to translate, including documents on this very issue, socially and economically.

I’m mostly a film enthusiast, I own a humble collection of DVDs that I am very proud of nontheless, even if it’s not that big. I’ve been collecting since I was I think twelve and I currently own more than 250 films, with the amount of DVD cases circulating around that number (because of old double features).

Two years ago approximately, with this interest films spark in pop culture, of course I started to investigate what music/album culture had to offer. I love that kind of stuff, as I assume most of you do too. When I was young (so much younger than today), say eight years old, I used to listen to Michael Jackson and I owned every album by him. I used to worship the guy (which now in hindsight feels kind of creepy), I used to dance like him and dress like him and stuff. Then I went to a dark phase of dubstep, I just got inducted into that ten year old atheist Minecraft culture, even if it wasn’t good at doing any of those things.

It was with films that I started to sharpen my tastes even if nowadays I’m still finding out very basic stuff. Like, just last week I discovered Gil-Scott Heron, so imagine how much I still have to learn.

I smoke pot. It is a pretty important part in my life given I love consuming artistic culture high, such as music and movies. Generally I prefer to experience things sober first tho, out of respect. But after many listens, Revolver is still one of my favourite high albums. I wanted to create a thread on marijuana and music on All Together Now but I can’t and I don’t know why (maybe is a moderator thing).

I got into the Beatles as the first musical act I was experimenting with. I knew they where huge, and after I saw A Hard Day’s Night I knew I had to listen to music more. They were the second discography I ever went through fully (apart from MJ). I’ve fallen in love ever since. Even after listening to dozens of albums, I still am in awe of them. No progressive jazz/rock/metal or conscious hip hop album has made me forget how original and groundbreaking they were. Also how much personality they hold over almost any other band or artist I’ve ever come across with. Their charisma is a grand part of their enjoyability to me. And their progression of albums is one of the most interesting in music history.

I also love Bob Dylan, and I took my profile pic a year ago with some friends when I bought that scarf and I thought it would be a good idea to imitate the cover of Blonde on Blonde, even tho that is particularly not one my favourites of his, I just really love the shaky cover of Bob Dylan’s face, is so iconic.

I’m left-handed, straight, and I always wanted to write films, I even have half-written scripts that never went anywhere. Argentina isn’t the place to try a film career, I would add as well, so I don’t know how much hope I have for that.

Since I was young I always made videos that I would upload to YouTube, then erase because I thought they weren’t good enough. I never care for having followers, I just wanted to impressing my friends with my mad editing skillsgeorge-martin I’m joking of course, I’m an average editor.

I have a Mac that I foolishly bought when I was younger, but I have to say with time Final Cut Pro and GarageBand really grew as my favourite programs ever and I love experimenting with them. I’ve tried making music since I’m a decent piano player, and I love studio albums, but I never took the initiative to actually sit and write an album. I’m a terrible singer so any music I ever made was instrumental, mostly jazz and jazz “fusion” (which I put in quotes because my songs don’t make justice to the genre, which is probably one of my favourites [also, I wanted to start a Jazz thread on All Together now but as I said before, I can’t]). I started making my first album a couple of weeks ago at last, given the isolation, and I have to say it’s going really well, but I’m very insecure about publishing it so I don’t know if I’ll ever finish it, I can only hope. Of course if I do I will share in the respective thread.

Some of my favourite artists apart from the Beatles include Miles Davis, Zappa, Pink Floyd, Weather Report, Zeppelin, Bob Dylan of course, David Bowie (probably my favourite solo artist), Herbie Hancock, and yes, Kanye (because there seems to be a kind of rivalry between Beatles fans and Kanye fans lol), also Tyler and Kendrick I love as well.

I’m one of those that discovered Fantano a year ago or so, and I follow his channel. I don’t like saying this to people because they usually accuse me of not having my own opinion but I don’t agree, I don’t follow him for that, I just like how the guy explains his thoughts, and it helps me realize what I like better and really explain my opinion not only on music, but on any type of art, even if I usually disagree with him. Pitchfork though I tend to agree with, I don’t know why, they just get me. But Fantano helped me to get out of my boomer phase and introduced me to a lot of music. So thanks to him I’ve grown more versatile.

I’m trying to get into this forum, since is the kind of conversations I’m interested in having, now more than ever, given that the only person that knows more than I do of music I can’t currently see and I can’t just start a WhatsApp conversation about “which Beatles album is the most indian-influenced” (it’s Pepper of course paul-mccartney-thumb_gif). Maybe you’ll see me around, cheers.

It’s almost 4:20, gotta run.

The following people thank Jules for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Von Bontee, sigh butterfly, WeepingAtlasCedars, Beatlebug, Getbackintheussr, QuarryMan, TangerineTrees

the watusi

the twist

30 March 2020
3.25pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
4466sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome @Jules! Glad to have you here– I’ve seen you around often and I love reading all of your musical thoughts in your posts! I appreciate how in-depth you are and I can clearly see that you have a passion for analyzing and comparing music across multiple genres! I’m looking forward to seeing you around more often and hearing more of your thoughts on everything john-lennon-salute_gif 

Clerefor Sede said

I smoke pot. It is a pretty important part in my life given I love consuming artistic culture high, such as music and movies. Generally I prefer to experience things sober first tho, out of respect. But after many listens, Revolver is still one of my favourite high albums.

In my life, I’ve only gotten high off weed a few times (usually in party atmospheres and on a couple of separate occasions with my coworkers after work) but it’s always been a goal of mine to listen to the Beatles albums (starting with my favorite, Rubber Soul ) while under the influence (however it’s hard for me to obtain the stuff needed on my own), so I would love to hear about your experiences a-hard-days-night-paul-7

I also find it interesting that you’re a translator, and would love to hear more about your career in the future (I find different languages very interesting and its another lifelong goal of mine to be multilingual. In fact, I’m sharpening up my French and dabbling in German whilst in isolation) 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Jules, sigh butterfly, vonbontee

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

30 March 2020
3.44pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
4467sp_Permalink sp_Print

@lovelyritametermaid you’re very kind, thank you for welcoming me. I’m only a Spanish-English translator, I am clueless as to other idioms, just to clarify. I hope seeing you around and I’ll try to find your introduction to the forum and read it, if you have one. A pleasure

lovelyritametermaid

the watusi

the twist

30 March 2020
4.14pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5444
4468sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said
Welcome @Jules! Glad to have you here– I’ve seen you around often and I love reading all of your musical thoughts in your posts! I appreciate how in-depth you are and I can clearly see that you have a passion for analyzing and comparing music across multiple genres! I’m looking forward to seeing you around more often and hearing more of your thoughts on everything john-lennon-salute_gif 

Clerefor Sede said

I smoke pot. It is a pretty important part in my life given I love consuming artistic culture high, such as music and movies. Generally I prefer to experience things sober first tho, out of respect. But after many listens, Revolver is still one of my favourite high albums.

Welcome, @Jules , I also have been enjoying your posts so far (even when I disagree with some of your album rankings!)  I share your love of films, jazz, and 4:20 apple01, and as an even bigger Coltrane fan than QuarryMan, I think you’re underrating him! It is unfortunate that the jazz thread was locked, but we’re free to discuss anything at all on the “impossible to derail” thread….anyways, welcome again, stick around, share your thoughts…john-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

Jules, lovelyritametermaid, sigh butterfly, QuarryMan

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

30 March 2020
4.25pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

@vonbontee thanks for the kind words. Just because you’re so nice I’ll give Coltrane another try. I haven’t listen to him in a while. If you want to help me tell me what favourite Coltrane albums/performances would you recommend the most and why, I’d love hearing about it, and take for granted I’ll give it a look.

Von Bontee

the watusi

the twist

30 March 2020
4.51pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4470sp_Permalink sp_Print

Clerefor Sede said

My name is Julian (yeah I knowahdn_john_08_gif), I turned eighteen three days ago. I’m Argentinian, I speak Spanish mainly. I learned English back in school and (oddly enough) watching Smosh a lot when I was a toddler. So my English is pretty sketchy. Not that I can’t formulate sentences, but I mostly speak in a British accent yet once in a while I use American expressions. I’m currently working actually as en English translator. Now with the coronavirus issue in Argentina we are to stay at home by law, otherwise we’ll be arrested, which is an approach I agree with (I don’t really know how this works in other countries, I understand in America not every state has obligatory isolation). Well, the point is lately I’ve had more work than ever, considering I already work at home, and now there’s a lot more to translate, including documents on this very issue, socially and economically.

Hey, I’m also a March 2002 baby – though I’m at the start of the month. Happy birthday!

That’s so cool that you’re a translator. I love languages though unfortunately am only fluent in English (though I’m working on thata-hard-days-night-john-6). 

I’m trying to get into this forum, since is the kind of conversations I’m interested in having, now more than ever, given that the only person that knows more than I do of music I can’t currently see and I can’t just start a WhatsApp conversation about “which Beatles album is the most indian-influenced” (it’s Pepper of course paul-mccartney-thumb_gif). Maybe you’ll see me around, cheers.

I look forward to seeing you around! I’ve been enjoying your posts around the forumjohn-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Jules

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

30 March 2020
5.04pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
4471sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Jules , here are some threads you might like. First, do you know about Joe’s book

Since you like to listen to the Beatles while “altered” https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..e-altered/

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..-by-drugs/

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..alization/

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..day/drugs/

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Von Bontee, lovelyritametermaid, sigh butterfly, WeepingAtlasCedars, Jules, Beatlebug, TangerineTrees
30 March 2020
5.21pm
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5456
4472sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

@Jules , here are some threads you might like. First, do you know about Joe’s book

Since you like to listen to the Beatles while “altered” https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..e-altered/

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..-by-drugs/

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..alization/

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..day/drugs/

Also this classic

https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..s-anymore/

The following people thank Von Bontee for this post:

sigh butterfly, Ahhh Girl, WeepingAtlasCedars, Jules, Beatlebug

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

31 March 2020
5.04am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members

Thanks guys for so much to read!

@Von Bontee That’s pretty wild what happened to @TT454 , wish I had been there to reply. Even if it was written in a time where I didn’t consumed, or knew nothing about the Beatles. But I kind of feel for the guy, he grew up in a world that condemned drugs only to find out his favourite band were also from the “bad team”. For the record, I’m not into any other drugs. I took LSD once, but it’s just too freaky for me, I’m not planning in trying it any time soon. I tried it because I read it was not addictive on its original form, so I made sure that whatever I was taking wasn’t mixed with any other shit, and it wasn’t for me but for different reasons. Anything severely addictive is not for me (that is coke and heroin and stuff), that has to do with a personal experience I had with a friend of mine that to this day struggles with hard addictions and I’ve been trying to encourage him to get help for months now, and he realizes how bad it is, which is a good thing. It just depends on where do you personally draw your own line. It hasn’t changed my mind on weed not even a bit, because I believe it’s inherently different. I’ve always drawn my line at addiction, and I’ve followed it pretty straight. If there’s a chance I’m gonna get hooked without knowing it, I’m not comfortable. You can get addicted to pot, but it’s no different from getting addicted to sugar or pizza, you know, your body just likes the experience a lot. Hard drugs are just way more dangerous. I don’t for example condone at all John’s overuse of medication, cocaine and heroin, that to me is a serious illness.

I don’t know how it works in other countries or communities but in the world I grew up in pot is very separated from other drugs, it isn’t treated the same. Someone that does hard drugs is immediately rejected from the marijuana consumers, to us pot is like alcohol (not even as bad as alcohol, given it’s less addictive and you’re technically more functional high than drunk [not that anyone should abuse that quality, stay safe]). The only uncomfortable thing about pot is that it’s illegal, outside of that, it’s just not that harmful of a drug, compared to the drugs that ARE legal. My recommendation to anyone that hasn’t taken drugs and doesn’t approve of them or is considering taking them is to really read about the subject, that way they realize what they prefer or if it’s a good choice at all. It also help when not being so judgmental to recreational users. To me, it’s not a problem as long as you know what the consequences can be and you manage it cleanly. When it comes to pot or old-school LSD (that means no pills), it isn’t strictly addictive, then there’s hard drugs, that can ruin you fast, and then there’s cigarettes and alcohol, that can ruin you slowly. My defense for legalization is that it really proposes the question “why is alcohol and cigarettes legal?”, if they influence your body and damage it just as much as marijuana does. And if it is legalized, then it would be less strong, which I think it’s a good thing, given pot is unnecessarily strong in its effects these days. It doesn’t damage your body more, it just make the trips harder, like I can handle it, but people who are new to the drug might have bad experiences because of it. I say all of this here because I don’t want to come off as just a drug addict edgy dude posting in a Beatles forum, like I really take addiction seriously, and whatever marijuana I take I administer very thoroughly, I exercise regularly to not get any lung worries, and I try not to smoke in front of non users because I consider it disrespectful. I’d give all of this tips to any other user as well. I also post this here because that thread seems to be long gone anyways. I’ll see if I can repost this two paragraphs in a particular thread as well.

@Ahhh Girl you know, I just read what you shared about Joe’s book and I’m really interested. I’m strongly considering buying it once this coronavirus eases.

Anyways, thanks for the warm welcome everybody, I’ll be checking those other links up in the next few days for sure!

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, Von Bontee, WeepingAtlasCedars, Getbackintheussr

the watusi

the twist

31 March 2020
10.42am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
4474sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome @Jules! You seem to have excellent taste in music – Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and David Bowie are three of my absolute favorite artists ever along with the Beatles. Can’t wait to see you around more and get to know you better apple01

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

Von Bontee, Jules

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

1 April 2020
2.07pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
4475sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome, @Jules ! I think you will find delighted musical compatriots here on the forum, myself and @vonbontee in particular. I love all the artists you mentioned (well, Weather Report to a lesser extent because I’ve only heard one of their albums), and I know Vonbon is into a few of them as well. I happen to share your appreciation for a certain herb and can definitely relate to its enhancement of your Beatles listening experience. Personally my preference for those times is usually jazz, vocal or instrumental; some of the best times I’ve had have involved playing songs like Joni Mitchell’s ‘Twisted’ to friends and giggling hysterically.

Anyways, I digress. In regard the all together now threads, I’m afraid it isn’t possible for us regular members to create new threads in that section as of a couple years ago when it was decided that there were too many unnecessary threads being created (I blame myself partially for that, it was my early days in the forum and for some reason instead of just bringing up topics in pre-existing threads that would have fit them, I decided to regularly create pointless new ones, even for one-off albums or tracks I happened to be listening to at the timepaul-mccartney-facepalm_gif). Anyway, it’s not proved to be too much of a limitation on our capacity for discussion, though I do wish that the jazz thread was open. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Jules

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

20 April 2020
10.12pm
amyjanelennon
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 7

Hello, I’m Amelia Jane. I’m English but I live in America now. I’m a huge John Lennon fanatic (a big fan of the Beatles and his post Beatle career as well). I own almost all of the Beatle lps but I haven’t yet acquired the early ones (I’m more of a late Beatles fan rather than an early Beatles fan).

My favourite album is either Magical Mystery Tour or Sgt. Pepper ’s, but it’s hard to decide. My favourite Beatles songs are Here Comes The Sun , Real Love , A Day In The Life , Blue Jay Way … the list goes on forever 🙂

The following people thank amyjanelennon for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, WeepingAtlasCedars, Jules, SgtPeppersBulldog
20 April 2020
10.23pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
4477sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome @amyjanelennon. apple01

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

20 April 2020
11.13pm
lovelyritametermaid
Candlestick Park
Members
4478sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome, darling @amyjanelennon!!! john-lennon-salute_gif

||She/They ||

21 April 2020
1.48am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4479sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hey @amyjanelennon ! Glad to meet you, welcome aboard!

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

21 April 2020
1.56am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
4480sp_Permalink sp_Print

@amyjanelennon Blue Jay Way is an underrated BANGER.

john-lennon-salute_gifSee ya around and welcomejohn-lennon-salute_gif

the watusi

the twist

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2856
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5516
Newest Members:
nickygrangery, pmolsen, thebeatlesshow, Boy Im Gonna Carry That Weight, Something
Moderators: Joe: 5692, meanmistermustard: 24959, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5692