Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Introduce yourself to the forum!
2 October 2018
1.14pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22198
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
4041sp_Permalink sp_Print

Greetings fellow college educator, @rd388088! I copied your questions over to related threads.

MMT – https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..t/#p296081

Apple – https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..e/#p296082

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

rd338088, vonbontee
3 October 2018
9.31am
Into the Sky with Diamonds
New York
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1979
4042sp_Permalink sp_Print

@rd338088  Welcome fellow Space / Beatle enthusiast!

That makes two of us.

"Into the Sky with Diamonds" (the Beatles and the Race to the Moon – a history)

9 October 2018
1.52pm
musicteacherholland
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 1
4043sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve been a Beatlesfan since 1981, playing their music, reading books about their story eversince.

Greetings from The Netherlands.

Stefan Terpstra

The following people thank musicteacherholland for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog
9 October 2018
3.23pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
4044sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hoi @musicteacherholland! I hope you enjoy your time here very much!

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

30 October 2018
9.26pm
guitargonish
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 2
4045sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi!

I’ve been cruising the bBible for years; I don’t know why I waited to join the forum.

I’ve been listening to the Beatles for a long time.  My first record purchase was Abbey Road , December 1969, aged eight.

I’m a musician and a college professor.

I teach a course on The Beatles.  I couldn’t get much luckier than that.

Kevin

Nova Scotia, Canada

The following people thank guitargonish for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, BeatleIDie
17 November 2018
1.32pm
BeatleIDie
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 1
4046sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi all you Beatles People. I am what you could call a total Beatles fan. I don’t want to hear any criticism of them. Even now, fifty years later, I am still deeply offended if anyone disses them. If you are going to say anything negative about The Beatles, you might as well insult my mother. My cousin used to make fun of my devotion to The Beatles and was always predicting their break-up or that they were about to be overtaken by everybody from the Rolling Stone to the Dave Clark Five. The American media thought if they kept saying the Monkees’ new album was going to rob the new Beatles album of first place, it would come true. That new Beatles album being Sergeant Pepper. Really.

I, however, never wavered in my loyalty. I was born in South Africa but thanks to the tentacles of the British Empire we had a mainline on anything British, including the Beatles. My older brothers and sisters were Elvis fans (thanks, and I mean it, to American cultural imperialism) and taught me to rock ‘n’ roll at five. I was fourteen when the Beatles broke in South Africa, just the right age, a Baby Boomer. When I heard Can’t Buy Me Love on the radio I bought it the next morning. As I grew up, the Beatles music progressed with every album and challenged my musical boundaries every time. On the last day of school in 1964 we could all bring music and our class teachers would let us play it. I took Beatles For Sale . I was like the Beatles’ encyclopedia in school. The teacher said the Beatles sound okay and he was sure none of us, as the A class, would be “Beatles Mad”. I put my hand up and confessed that I was indeed Beatles mad.

In 1966 I remember reading in a local mag that the Beatles new album Revolver was the most advanced music ever made. What’s changed? My mother was exasperated with my Beatles fixation and my hair that got longer with each album cover, certain that it was a portend of imminent teenage delinquency. Then my brother in law had a talk with her and told her to cool it, he also likes the Beatles. One day I went into a record shop with her to get her the new Jim Reeves. I picked up the prominently displayed Sgt Pepper and was reading the lyrics on the back when Mom said, “What is that?” I told her and she said “Oh it’s your birthday soon, want it?” Her buying me Sgt P went a long way to bridging the generation gap between us.

Here’s a nice little anecdote: Just after Let It Be was released we were sitting in church with all the windows open because it was a hot day. Just as the minister started his sermon someone in the block of flats next door put his hi-fi on full volume and put on: ‘You know my naaaaame….’ All around the church you could hear teenagers snorting as they tried to surpress their laughter. A deacon ran out to smite the Philistine and the sermon went on. But half way through you could every Now And Then hear someone sniggering.

Of course my mom was right, the Beatles’ influence on me was going to extend way past the musical. They were to be my voice; the voice of my generation. It was the early sixties and the post war gloom was making way for the sixties economic miracle. The Baby Boomers with their numerical supremacy were about to challenge all conventional wisdom and the Beatles were going to lead the charge. A year before the Summer of Love they were already singing “Have you heard, the word is love.” With each new twist in their philosophy I had to scurry to adjust my world view. I was a devoted fan of both cannabis and LSD without ever managing to get hold of it or even knowing what it was all about. When I read in a magazine that Transcendental Meditation was The Beatles new philosophy, I went to my fifteen years-older brother-in-law and said, “What is transcendental meditation.” He knew nothing of transcendental but he said that meditation is thinking very deeply. I thought, What the…?

The hardest thing ever for me as a Beatles fan was when The Beatles themselves stopped being Beatles fans. When I heard that George had said after the Candlestick concert that he had stopped being a Beatle, it was to me a contradiction on a cosmic level.  When John sang on Plastic One Band ‘I don’t believe in Beatles’, it was apostasy, okay auto-apostasy, but apostasy still. So given this frame of mind, I was mightily impressed and gratified when I recently read Oregano Rathbone ‘s review of Paul’s Egypt Station album, where he says the following:

For my part, I’m a lifelong Beatles apologist, so I tend to filter everything through a sticky mist of hot love, and get fidgety whenever disbelievers start firing up the chainsaws.

This was poetry to my ears; proof that there are other die-hards out there just like me. The choice of words is just extreme enough for my taste: Lifelong; apologist; get fidgety; disbelievers; and best of all – filter everything through a sticky mist of hot love. Not even any pretence at being measured, or balanced, or rational; all these years later. Love is not rational, it doesn’t have to be, it is better when it is not. Love is liking something enough to never let go, never give up on it. Love is being committed without ever trying to be – it just comes naturally; it is an imperative.

So that’s me. Drenched in Beatlemania to this day. I listen to the Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters, whatever, but when my iPod is on shuffle, lots of Beatles come up. I’m looking forward to sharing with all of you Fab people…

The following people thank BeatleIDie for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog, Beatlebug
17 November 2018
3.39pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4047sp_Permalink sp_Print

This place on the ‘net is just where you need to be to let down your Beatle hair and have a fab time, @BeatleIDie! Glad you joined us.

17 November 2018
3.55pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
4048sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello @BeatleIDie! You’ve chosen the right place to celebrate your inner Beatle. Hope you enjoy your stay!

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

18 November 2018
4.11am
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157
4049sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wonderful story, @BeatleIDie!ahdn_john_08_gif Welcome to the forum! apple01heart

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

18 November 2018
6.45am
Carter Lennon
Pepperland
The Indra
Members
Forum Posts: 37
4050sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello! I just realized that despite me making an account about a year ago, I have NEVER posted in this thread! paul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

Anyways, my name is Carter and I’m glad to meet you all!

About me

– I’m a big fan of the Beatles (obviously)

– I have a collection of more then 7,000 Beatle photos on another website

– My favorite Beatle is John, but I like all the other members as well

– My favorite album is Revolver

– I go to a Beatles festival yearly as a tradition

– Aside from the Beatles, I like: documentaries, TV sitcoms (Friends and Seinfeld, specifically), and Elvis Presley

– My favorite hobby is chatting with people and reading about the Beatles

– I also like buying Beatles merchandise and memorabilia

I hope you all have a good day! paul-mccartney-thumb_gif

The following people thank Carter Lennon for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

"Give me love, give me peace on earth."

18 November 2018
2.26pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
4051sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would say welcome, but a year is hardly new… pleased to get to know you, @Carter Lennon!

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Carter Lennon

aus-flag-v-small.png

20 November 2018
6.03pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
4052sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hi! I’ve been a member for a few days now and didn’t discover this thread until today.

A few Beatley things about myself:

George is my favorite Beatle, with Paul in second and John and Ringo tied for third (because I could never stand to have a “least favorite” Beatle!)

I don’t have a favorite album, but I love Help , Rubber Soul , A Hard Day’s Night , and Revolver most.

I love listening to the Beatles Channel on SiriusXM.

My four favorite Beatles songs are I Will , Hey Bulldog , Hey Jude , and While My Guitar Gently Weeps , in no particular order.

I joined this forum to find more Beatle people to chat with, as the only Beatles fan I know IRL is my dad. Can’t wait to meet you all!

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Ahhh Girl, TheWalrusWasBrian

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

20 November 2018
6.48pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
4053sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello @50yearslate! It seems to be a common theme among many members to have a dad that likes the Beatles – mine certainly does! Have a great time here.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

50yearslate

aus-flag-v-small.png

2 December 2018
1.22pm
motyoj
A Beginning
Members
Forum Posts: 3
4054sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello fab fiends. I live in the midwestern United States and have been a fan since hearing them on the radio or seeing them on The Ed Sullivan show. I can’t quite remember which as it’s been a loooong time. But, I was instantly hooked. Especially after hearing I Saw Her Standing There . Anyway, I have been a lifelong fan and my way of making friends when I was a kid was all about the Beatles. If you liked them, you were my friend. My parents took me to see them in ’66 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis, Missouri. My most cherished show in my concert going career but pretty lame by today’s standard. I think they played about 20 minutes. It rained, people were screaming, the sound came through metal horns used for the sports commentators. But, very cool nonetheless. 

I live near Benton, Illinois, where George visited in the summer of ’63 with his brother Peter to visit their sister Louise. I’ve met her several times. George bought a Rickenbaker guitar in Mt. Vernon, which isn’t far from Benton. He also visited the radio station in West Frankfort and gave them a single to play. I think it was From Me To You (not certain). I’ve read that it was the first time a Beatle song was played on the radio but that just might be local lore. George apparently enjoyed his stay except for the Midwestern summers that we endure here. He went back and told the rest of the boys that it wouldn’t make much sense going to America as we have “everything” here. What would America want with them. Glad they didn’t listen to him and the rest is history. 

I could go on and on but I won’t. Anyway…hello to everyone! I have been reading the quips posted to Twitter for some time now and thought I’d join the group. I hope I passed the audition!

The following people thank motyoj for this post:

Richard, Beatlebug
2 December 2018
5.59pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
4055sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome! Hopefully you’ll enjoy this forum as much as me (I am also quite new). 

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

2 December 2018
6.07pm
TheWalrusWasBrian
fell off the roof AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2150
4056sp_Permalink sp_Print

Wow, pretty cool stuff there! Welcome to the forum, have fun! 

IMG_3978.PNG|badge1.png | I don’t know how to put it here. hello for the love of god hello 

~~~

The Concert for Bageldesh

~~~

Walrian here! Not Fiddy, or anyone else, actually.

2 December 2018
6.23pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members

Also, I am unbearably jealous that you have met Louise Harrison. a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

silverhammerYT

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2 December 2018
6.44pm
Ahhh Girl

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
4058sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welcome, @motyoj. Here’s something you’ll really like https://www.beatlesbible.com/f…..s/#p100119

I linked to that post in the Derail thread the other day, but folks were saying it didn’t work.

I will post in that thread so people can find it.

2 December 2018
6.59pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
4059sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hello hello, @motyoj!! I hope you have a great time here!

aus-flag-v-small.png

12 December 2018
2.57pm
silverhammerYT
Nowhere Land
Royal Command Performance
Members
Forum Posts: 221
4060sp_Permalink sp_Print

I am new to the forum but am a hardcore fan. My favorite album is Abbey Road , my favorite member is Ringo, and my favourite song is Carry That Weight or Your Mother Should Know .

Reporter: Beethoven figures in one of your songs. What do you think of Beethoven?
Ringo Starr: He’s great. Especially his poetry.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690