Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
In My Life – what's happening in your life currently?
28 May 2017
11.56am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
8941sp_Permalink sp_Print

Problem is, I have a bias towards guitars and think they are 1,000,000% better than saxophones, so I love guitars and hate when artists like Billy Joel regularly replace guitars with saxes for the solos, especially in rock music.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

28 May 2017
12.10pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
8942sp_Permalink sp_Print

Guitars are overrated.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

William Shears Campbell, SgtPeppersBulldog

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

28 May 2017
12.13pm
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1808

Dark Overlord said
Problem is, I have a bias towards guitars and think they are 1,000,000% better than saxophones, so I love guitars and hate when artists like Billy Joel regularly replace guitars with saxes for the solos, especially in rock music.  

You made your comment seem as though that’s also what the Beatles thought, which is probably false. Then you say that because Billy Joel didn’t do stuff like the Beatles did (them having more guitar solos, him having saxophone solos), he’s awful.

Also, Pink Floyd had quite a few sax solos on Dark Side Of The Moon, are they just as bad as Billy Joel?

Edit: before this conversation goes too far, let’s try to stay a little bit on topic.
*ahem* BoT, a guy was flirting with me today, good thing I have a roster full of false names. I used Elizabeth that time.

The following people thank Evangeline for this post:

Beatlebug, Ahhh Girl

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

28 May 2017
12.32pm
Martha
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1277
8944sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Dark Overlord   said
I always thought the saxophone was a jazz instrument, I never realized there are classical players, but then again, there’s an orchestra with a typewriter.

The saxophone was originally developed for orchestras and military bands. There are many classical pieces for saxophone and in countries as France, Belgium or Russia, for instance, the classical saxophone is one of the most studied instruments in university.

However, you are right that the saxophone is mostly known for its usage in jazz music. And, of course, it is also used in Rock, Pop, Folk and many other styles of music.

I put two videos in spoilers in case you’re interested in how a classical saxophone sounds.a-hard-days-night-john-6

That’s Marcel Mule, arguably the most influential saxophonist of the twentieth century.

And that’s the Habanera saxophone quartet, they are one of the leading quartets in the world currently.

I hope The Beatles have taught you an important lesson, saxophones shouldn’t replace the lead guitarist in a band. The Beatles knew this very well, only offering us 2 sax solos in their career but other artists like Billy Joel forgot this very important lesson.

Yes, the Beatles have taught me an important lesson but it has not been the one you named, sorry. There are solos which sound better on guitar and there are solos which sound better on trumpet, piano, saxophone or whatever instrument you can think of. What is the problem with replacing a lead guitar, when a solo sounds better or fits the mood of the song better on another instrument? As much as I’d never replace the solo in WMGGW with a saxophone solo, I would never replace the sax solo in Us And Them with a guitar solo, but that’s only my opinion.

The following people thank Martha for this post:

Dark Overlord, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

Not once does the diversity seem forced -- the genius of the record is how the vaudevillian "When I'm 64" seems like a logical extension of "Within You Without You" and how it provides a gateway to the chiming guitars of "Lovely Rita. - Stephen T. Erlewine on Sgt Pepper's

28 May 2017
12.47pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
8945sp_Permalink sp_Print

Evangeline said
You made your comment seem as though that’s also what the Beatles thought, which is probably false.

Whether or not they thought it, they almost always had guitar solos instead of sax solos, the only exceptions being Lady Madonna and You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) and I’m fine with those solos.

Evangeline said
Then you say that because Billy Joel didn’t do stuff like the Beatles did (them having more guitar solos, him having saxophone solos), he’s awful.

I like Billy Joel, except for the sax solos, I’d much rather hear the solos from songs like Scenes From An Italian Restaurant on an electric guitar.

Evangeline said
Also, Pink Floyd had quite a few sax solos on Dark Side Of The Moon, are they just as bad as Billy Joel?

Let’s compare their 2 most popular albums, Pink Floyd’s 1973 The Dark Side Of The Moon and Billy Joel’s 1977 The Stranger.

Solos:

The Dark Side Of The Moon:

Speak To Me (N/A)

Breathe (N/A)

On The Run (the whole song is a synth solo)

Time (1, guitar)

The Great Gig In The Sky (1, vocals)

Money (2, 1 saxophone, 1 guitar)

Us And Them (2, 1 saxophone, 1 piano)

Any Colour You Like (2, half of the song is a synth solo, the other half is a guitar solo)

Brain Damage (1, synth)

Eclipse (N/A)

The Stranger:

Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song) (1, guitar)

The Stranger (N/A)

Just The Way You Are (3, saxophone)

Scenes From An Italian Restaurant (6, 1 saxophone, 1 various mouth instruments, 1 piano, 1 saxophone, 1 violin, 1 saxophone)

Vienna (1, accordion)

Only The Good Die Young (1, saxophone)

She’s Always A Woman (1, piano)

Get It Right The First Time (1, flute)

Everybody Has A Dream (N/A)

Totals:

The Dark Side Of The Moon:

3 guitar, 2 sax, 3 synth, 1 piano, 1 vocals

The Stranger:

1 guitar, 7 saxophone, 2 piano, 4 other

If you want to discuss this further, move it to another thread.

28 May 2017
12.58pm
Evangeline
1334 North Beechwood Drive
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1808
8946sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re the one that keeps discussing it here. I already gave an on topic reply. You have not. I’m not in the wrong here.

Still on topic.
Schools officially out. I did horrible on my year-end CAT test though. I’m in the 99%tile for English, at the level of a 4th grader for math, and average for science.

I have no clue how I’m going to pass my GED next year with those numbers, but I’m studying like the dickens for it. I told my mom I’m passing all of it on the first try, so I have a lot of work to do.

The following people thank Evangeline for this post:

Beatlebug

I am you as you are you as you are you and you are all together. 

28 May 2017
1.09pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
8947sp_Permalink sp_Print

Evangeline said
You’re the one that keeps discussing it here. I already gave an on topic reply. You have not. I’m not in the wrong here.

Still on topic.
Schools officially out. I did horrible on my year-end CAT test though. I’m in the 99%tile for English, at the level of a 4th grader for math, and average for science.

I have no clue how I’m going to pass my GED next year with those numbers, but I’m studying like the dickens for it. I told my mom I’m passing all of it on the first try, so I have a lot of work to do.  

99% ?!?!??! Evangeline you have failed us! (I wonder what kind of people get 100%). 

Good luck Evangeline, as the Irish say, ‘be sound like’. 

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug, Evangeline, WeepingAtlasCedars

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

28 May 2017
1.13pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
8948sp_Permalink sp_Print

I guess I should say what’s going on at my house. I’m just sitting here in my underwear right now, it’s 2:00 so I might get dressed again for lunch.

28 May 2017
3.54pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
8949sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said

99% ?!?!??! Evangeline you have failed us! (I wonder what kind of people get 100%). 

The kind of person. If you’re in the 100%tile, then you’re better than 100% of people. 

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Dark Overlord, Beatlebug

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

28 May 2017
6.16pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22238
8950sp_Permalink sp_Print

Good luck with the math studying, @Evangeline. If I had to take a math test right now, I’d probably be at about 3rd grade. Whatever I learned after that left me long ago.

I’ve done A LOT of yard work this weekend. I’m am sore. I opened my 50th anniversary Pepper. When my muscles stop aching so much, I’ll have a listen. I want to enjoy the experience, not wince and writhe in pain while trying to soak in the music.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

trcanberra, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars, ewe2
28 May 2017
11.48pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
8951sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve got free periods to end the day today, and I’m sitting here, with 15 minutes till the end of school, and I’m BORED!

I’m listening to isolated drums, strings and bass to Here Comes The Sun to try to cure my boredom, and I’m worried my laptop will run out of battery…

Of course, I could be doing work, but I’m procrastinating!

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

29 May 2017
9.06pm
ewe2
Inside the beat
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3025
8952sp_Permalink sp_Print

One of my favourite prog rock practice pieces, Starless by King Crimson, features a great soprano sax part which duets with the vocals and has a solo of its own. Trying to avoid any Beatles before my 50th Peppers gets here, it’s hard though. Might go practice to Crimson instead.

The following people thank ewe2 for this post:

trcanberra, Beatlebug

I'm like Necko only I'm a bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin and also everyone. Or is everyone me? Now I'm a confused bassist ukulele guitar synthesizer kazoo penguin everyone who is definitely not @Joe.  This has been true for 2016 & 2017 Sig-Badge.png but I may have to get more specific in the future.

aus-flag-v-small.png

30 May 2017
11.51am
SgtPeppersBulldog
Swinging London
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3157

What a day I’ve had! I went shopping outside my area today with my mum. There were many charity shops, and I looked in all of them for vinyls worth buying. There wasn’t anything in particular interesting to me (loads of Max Bygraves and Johnny Mathis (@William Shears Campbell) LPs a-hard-days-night-ringo-14) except for a Mull Of Kintyre /Girl’s School single, but I already have that. Then in one charity shop, I came across and bought the following books:

John by Cynthia Lennon

Stone Alone by Bill Wyman

The Goodies’ Book Of Records by The Goodies (Bill Oddie, Tim Brooke-Taylor and Graeme Garden)

All of Spike Milligan’s war memoirs 

Later on I wanted to look around in HMV (Yes folks, it still exists!), specifically at the Sgt Pepper 50th Anniversary releases. I think one of the CD sets was £14 and the box set was £109 (I’ve got some saving up to do). I didn’t see the double vinyl set. My mum said to go and look at The Beatles section (which is next to the DVDs and David Bowie stuff). The regular 2009 remastered CDs were £7, and I picked up Magical Mystery Tour .

IMG_20170530_171410.jpgImage Enlarger

Literally seconds after I picked it up, My Sweet Lord started playing! a-hard-days-night-george-9 while I was quietly humming the song to myself, I looked at other CDs, particularly Pink Floyd (Animals and The Wall were both £7, might get one of those next). Finally, before I paid for MMT, I saw some t-shirts, one with the Sgt Pepper cover, one with the Dark Side Of The Moon cover and one with The Rolling Stones logo, costing £17 each. I’d spent all my money though, so I couldn’t get any of them.

Man, I could spend all day in HMV, and I feel like @Necko after buying all those things!

The following people thank SgtPeppersBulldog for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, Martha, WeepingAtlasCedars

"Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles... " 

2017: 

30 May 2017
1.54pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
8954sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m very sorry for my brief absence from the forum. I threw up on my bedroom carpet, so I had to clean it up using Resolve carpet cleaner and then I had to take a shower, put on some fresh clothes, and I decided to have seafood salad with hot sauce on a pita bread for lunch. You guys (and dolls) know how long it takes for the carpet cleaner to dry as well as things I can do to speed up the process.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

SgtPeppersBulldog

30 May 2017
2.11pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
8955sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
I’m very sorry for my brief absence from the forum. I threw up on my bedroom carpet, so I had to clean it up using Resolve carpet cleaner and then I had to take a shower, put on some fresh clothes, and I decided to have seafood salad with hot sauce on a pita bread for lunch. You guys (and dolls) know how long it takes for the carpet cleaner to dry as well as things I can do to speed up the process.  

The #1 Carpet Cleaner

giphy.gifImage Enlarger

#NoSpon #ImLovinIn #BestCleanerOnTheMarket

WeepingAtlasCedars

30 May 2017
2.28pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
8956sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sorry, I was off the forum for five mins, I was busy taking over the world eating.

Beatlebug, Evangeline, Necko, SgtPeppersBulldog, WeepingAtlasCedars

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

30 May 2017
2.29pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
8957sp_Permalink sp_Print

Why do you feel the need to apologise for not being on the forum for a few minutes? Seems a very pointless post.

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

30 May 2017
2.36pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
8958sp_Permalink sp_Print

Silly Girl said
Why do you feel the need to apologise for not being on the forum for a few minutes? Seems a very pointless post.  

Sorry SG I was gone for 6 minutes because I was filling my water bottle but I’m back now 🙂 Hope I didn’t miss out too much! 

Starr Shine?, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

30 May 2017
2.54pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
8959sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thinking of the mods for when they have to deal with the clusterfuck that is the ‘Philosophy’ thread at the minute. 

Beatlebug

30 May 2017
2.59pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
8960sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’ve seen worse. People on this forum tend to overreact to small things imo.

Dark Overlord, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22238, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694