Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
In My Life – what's happening in your life currently?
14 August 2016
4.15pm
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
6921sp_Permalink sp_Print

sgtpepper63 said
My daughter’s turning 33 this month and I want to give her a birthday party, but I don’t know what to do. She liked My Little Pony, Barbie, and Care Bears when she was a kid, but having a Care Bears party for a 33 year old would look sexist, but the kind of stuff she likes nowadays is sitcoms, pop music, and romance novels, all of which I refuse to do a party based on. Also, should I invite my sister because my daughter loves her but me, my older brother, and my cousin Bill don’t get along with her at all and she always finds something to complain to us about. Also, what music should I use, should I use what she’s into nowadays (modern pop and rap that makes me want to shove a drill in through my eardrum), what she grew up with (80’s and 90’s pop and rap), or what I want to hear (AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc.).  

If it was me I’d invite your sister and just let the complaints roll as the day’s not about you, your older brother or your cousin.

I wouldn’t worry about a theme – just have a nice informal get-together.

Make a varied music mix so everyone has something they like; but with the larger part what the birthday ‘girl’ would appreciate – check with her what she likes nowadays. Get earplugs for the day if it’s a problem 😉

Just how I would do it.

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

pepperland, sgtpepper63

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

14 August 2016
4.34pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
6922sp_Permalink sp_Print

Invite the sister and anyone else you can think of that your daughter would want there, hire a small hall which has a bar (if you’re all the drinking alcohol type), shove a ton of music together on some music device, arrange food and then just tell tell everyone the time and place. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

pepperland, Beatlebug, sgtpepper63

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 August 2016
7.26pm
sgtpepper63
On a boat on a river with tangering trees and marmalade skies
Carnegie Hall
Guests
Forum Posts: 551

I was planning to use my/my older brother’s house, as it is fairly big (it holds my older brother, me, my youngest son, my wife, my older brother’s wife, my nephew, my cousin Bill, and 2 of our friends (those 2 friends sleep in the garage and my nephew lives in the basement)) and it has an inground pool, sliding doors, glass tables with umbrellas in the middle, propane grill, firepit, and targets for guns, crossbows, and throwing knives, in addition to many more party necessities in the garage, basement, and throughout the house, such as coolers, a computer, drinks, and various other things. Also, I think I will try to invite my sister, although she might be hesitant to go because, like I said, she doesn’t get along with me or my older brother. As for music, I’m just going to put stuff on off YouTube. If I choose to get me and my older brother and couple of our friends together, all the music would be mostly from the 60’s and 70’s because that’s pretty much all we know how to play I would never learn a modern pop song just for a party and I doubt this is happening, although there is a good chance we will do something after the party. What I’m thinking is using 2 playlists, 1 for modern pop and another for 60’s/70’s rock. Also, I was thinking what present should I get her, should it just be money, simple and sweet, or something with thought, complicated and could be better or worse than the previous option. For the theme, I probably will just do a non-theme. Also, remember that this all has to go through my older brother, which so far he is fine with everything I’ve told him about. I wish she had some fun ideas, for example, for my birthday in January, I decided to get some broken stuff from around the house (clocks, microwave, Windows 95 computer, VCR, old unplayable records, VHS, cassettes, CD, floppy disks, and DVD’s, and a toaster) along with a few watermelons and pumpkins and shoot them with a revolver. Also, I’m just going to invite a bunch of her friends, along with my friends, my older brother’s friends, and some family members.

14 August 2016
7.32pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

sgtpepper63 said
I was planning to use my/my older brother’s house, as it is fairly big (it holds my older brother, me, my youngest son, my wife, my older brother’s wife, my nephew, my cousin Bill, and 2 of our friends (those 2 friends sleep in the garage and my nephew lives in the basement)) and it has an inground pool, sliding doors, glass tables with umbrellas in the middle, propane grill, firepit, and targets for guns, crossbows, and throwing knives, in addition to many more party necessities in the garage, basement, and throughout the house, such as coolers, a computer, drinks, and various other things. Also, I think I will try to invite my sister, although she might be hesitant to go because, like I said, she doesn’t get along with me or my older brother. As for music, I’m just going to put stuff on off YouTube. If I choose to get me and my older brother and couple of our friends together, all the music would be mostly from the 60’s and 70’s because that’s pretty much all we know how to play I would never learn a modern pop song just for a party and I doubt this is happening, although there is a good chance we will do something after the party. What I’m thinking is using 2 playlists, 1 for modern pop and another for 60’s/70’s rock. Also, I was thinking what present should I get her, should it just be money, simple and sweet, or something with thought, complicated and could be better or worse than the previous option. For the theme, I probably will just do a non-theme. Also, remember that this all has to go through my older brother, which so far he is fine with everything I’ve told him about. I wish she had some fun ideas, for example, for my birthday in January, I decided to get some broken stuff from around the house (clocks, microwave, Windows 95 computer, VCR, old unplayable records, VHS, cassettes, CD, floppy disks, and DVD’s, and a toaster) along with a few watermelons and pumpkins and shoot them with a revolver. Also, I’m just going to invite a bunch of her friends, along with my friends, my older brother’s friends, and some family members.

Is this for real?

Targets for guns, crossbows, and throwing knives

?

Who needs targets for guns, crossbows, and throwing knives at all never mind at a party?

Post edited by me for reasons.

Beatlebug, sgtpepper63

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

14 August 2016
8.44pm
sgtpepper63
Carnegie Hall
Guests

meanmistermustard said

sgtpepper63 said
I was planning to use my/my older brother’s house, as it is fairly big (it holds my older brother, me, my youngest son, my wife, my older brother’s wife, my nephew, my cousin Bill, and 2 of our friends (those 2 friends sleep in the garage and my illegitimate nephew lives in the basement)) and it has an inground pool, sliding doors, glass tables with umbrellas in the middle, propane grill, firepit, and targets for guns, crossbows, and throwing knives, in addition to many more party necessities in the garage, basement, and throughout the house, such as coolers, a computer, drinks, and various other things. Also, I think I will try to invite my sister, although she might be hesitant to go because, like I said, she doesn’t get along with me or my older brother. As for music, I’m just going to put stuff on off YouTube. If I choose to get me and my older brother and couple of our friends together, all the music would be mostly from the 60’s and 70’s because that’s pretty much all we know how to play I would never learn a modern pop song just for a party and I doubt this is happening, although there is a good chance we will do something after the party. What I’m thinking is using 2 playlists, 1 for modern pop and another for 60’s/70’s rock. Also, I was thinking what present should I get her, should it just be money, simple and sweet, or something with thought, complicated and could be better or worse than the previous option. For the theme, I probably will just do a non-theme. Also, remember that this all has to go through my older brother, which so far he is fine with everything I’ve told him about. I wish she had some fun ideas, for example, for my birthday in January, I decided to get some broken stuff from around the house (clocks, microwave, Windows 95 computer, VCR, old unplayable records, VHS, cassettes, CD, floppy disks, and DVD’s, and a toaster) along with a few watermelons and pumpkins and shoot them with a revolver. Also, I’m just going to invite a bunch of her friends, along with my friends, my older brother’s friends, and some family members.  

Is this for real?

Targets for guns, crossbows, and throwing knives

?

Who needs targets for guns, crossbows, and throwing knives at all never mind at a party?  

Don’t know why I mentioned that. I’ll be editing that line out, if you don’t mind.

As for targets, I just like to have them in the backyard just in case I feel like shooting a target, which happens every Now And Then . Just because it isn’t in your backyard doesn’t mean it’s wrong or unusual.

Thanks for telling me that, meanmistermustard.

15 August 2016
3.53am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6926sp_Permalink sp_Print

@sgtpepper63, i will happily edit my post to remove the references, you may want to therefore edit your quoted reply.

sgtpepper63

15 August 2016
4.17am
trcanberra
Oz
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 6064
6927sp_Permalink sp_Print

Shoot them with a Beatles revolver?

Bang bang shoot shoot 😉

The following people thank trcanberra for this post:

Shamrock Womlbs, Beatlebug

==> trcanberra and hongkonglady - Together even when not (married for those not in the know!) <==

15 August 2016
8.40am
sgtpepper63
Carnegie Hall
Guests
6928sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Bang bang shoot shoot 😉  

If I had one, I would.

The following people thank sgtpepper63 for this post:

trcanberra
15 August 2016
9.49am
HMBeatlesfan
Kalamazoo, Seussville, USA
Candlestick Park
Guests
Forum Posts: 1115
6929sp_Permalink sp_Print

trcanberra said

Bang bang shoot shoot 😉  

Thinking about shooting Revolver , I used to work at a used record store (we also sold used movies, video games, books, and whatever the hell else we got our hands on) and when we got records that were unplayable, we’d occasionally toss them in the air like a Frisbee and either play catch and or shoot them like as if they were clay pigeons (this is only if they just gave it to us for free, which didn’t typically happen). We (me, my boss, and my coworkers) did this with a couple of records, mainly old Frank Sinatra-esque music that even if it was playable, it wouldn’t be worth a listen. However, we have shot up some albums that are actually good, but nonetheless unplayable, such as a mono US Revolver .

The following people thank HMBeatlesfan for this post:

trcanberra

Maybe you should try posting more.

15 August 2016
9.56am
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
6930sp_Permalink sp_Print

sgtpepper63 said
My daughter’s turning 33 this month and I want to give her a birthday party, but I don’t know what to do. She liked My Little Pony, Barbie, and Care Bears when she was a kid, but having a Care Bears party for a 33 year old would look sexist, but the kind of stuff she likes nowadays is sitcoms, pop music, and romance novels, all of which I refuse to do a party based on. Also, should I invite my sister because my daughter loves her but me, my older brother, and my cousin Bill don’t get along with her at all and she always finds something to complain to us about. Also, what music should I use, should I use what she’s into nowadays (modern pop and rap that makes me want to shove a drill in through my eardrum), what she grew up with (80’s and 90’s pop and rap), or what I want to hear (AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc.).  

I recommend that you don’t do a theme unless if she really wants one. If she was 12, a My Little Pony party wouldn’t be a bad idea, but she’s in her 30’s. As for your sister, I’d forget about her because there’s a chance she wouldn’t enjoy it anyways because she’d be too busy complaining at you and your older brother. As for the music, does your daughter absolutely hate something like AC/DC, Queen, or Black Sabbath or is there something both of you like. If there isn’t, I’d just do a bit of what she wants, a bit of what you want, and a bit of what your older brother wants, as he is the owner of the house.

The following people thank HMBeatlesfan for this post:

pepperland, trcanberra, Beatlebug

15 August 2016
7.59pm
natureaker
Blue Jay Way
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1477
6931sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said
@natureaker, do they teach you about personal budgeting, debt, being debt-free, interest payments, savings accounts, student loans, paying bills on time etc.?  

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, and nope. I don’t think that I ever really learned anything that useful or even that necessary in classes like tech, 21st, and occasionally useless stuff brought up in math applications.

That’s the thing I honestly can’t stand about those classes and aspects of school. Will we need to know the different types of bridges? Only if you’re planning on being an architect. Is it really necessary to learn that China has more honor students than America has students? Absolutely not.

But I do admit, most other things are useful enough that I can’t really complain about, such as reading/writing skills, percentages, formulas, and history. I just really don’t like what I like to call the three filler classes; math apps, 21st, and tech blue-meanie

The following people thank natureaker for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars
15 August 2016
8.33pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
6932sp_Permalink sp_Print

natureaker said

Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, nope, and nope. I don’t think that I ever really learned anything that useful or even that necessary in classes like tech, 21st, and occasionally useless stuff brought up in math applications.

That’s the thing I honestly can’t stand about those classes and aspects of school. Will we need to know the different types of bridges? Only if you’re planning on being an architect. Is it really necessary to learn that China has more honor students than America has students? Absolutely not.

But I do admit, most other things are useful enough that I can’t really complain about, such as reading/writing skills, percentages, formulas, and history. I just really don’t like what I like to call the three filler classes; math apps, 21st, and tech blue-meanie  

Wave this page of this thread under their noses and maybe they will wake up and teach you all some of the important things in life. a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

16 August 2016
12.45am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
6933sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just completed my first day of Band Camp.  Only 6 more to go.

The following people thank William Shears Campbell for this post:

meanmistermustard, limitlessundyinglove

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

16 August 2016
4.09am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
6934sp_Permalink sp_Print

natureaker said

What’s 21st?

16 August 2016
5.18am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
6935sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ahhh Girl said

Wave this page of this thread under their noses and maybe they will wake up and teach you all some of the important things in life. a-hard-days-night-ringo-15  

People complain about this all the time and no one has done anything yet.

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

16 August 2016
7.30am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
6936sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said

Ahhh Girl said

People complain about this all the time and no one has done anything yet.  

Unfortunately, you’re correct. I was just doing some wishful thinking.

16 August 2016
8.25am
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
6937sp_Permalink sp_Print

natureaker said

Have fun in college. Personally, I dropped out shortly after I turned 16 because I hated school and got in trouble there frequently and I also stayed back twice for various reasons. Got grounded for a month, but it was personally worth it to me (though I might not be to you), even if I had to do all the work my Dad usually did while he just sat there watching TV and smoking a cigar. If I didn’t drop out, I would’ve graduated in 1987 or 1988 (My 8th grade teacher was planning on failing me if I didn’t drop out anyways). Also, you guys are a lot younger than I thought you’d be. I mean I barely even remember The Beatles from when they were still a band, but I’m still one of the older people here.

16 August 2016
8.27am
HMBeatlesfan
Candlestick Park
Guests
6938sp_Permalink sp_Print

William Shears Campbell said
Just completed my first day of Band Camp.  Only 6 more to go.  

What do you do in band camp, I’ve never heard of it before.

16 August 2016
9.54am
William Shears Campbell
Somewhere In The Black Mountain Hills Of Utah
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3629
6939sp_Permalink sp_Print

@HMBeatlesfan said

What do you do in band camp, I’ve never heard of it before.  

So I go to the school at like 12 noon, and we do 4 hours of practicing our music, then we do an hour break, then 3 hours of marching in the hot Las Vegas sun

Here | There | Everywhere

It's ya boi!  The one and only Billy Shears (AKA Paul's Replacement)

"Sometimes I wish I was just George Harrison" - John Lennon

16 August 2016
1.22pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
6940sp_Permalink sp_Print

@HMBeatlesfan said

Also, you guys are a lot younger than I thought you’d be. I mean I barely even remember The Beatles from when they were still a band, but I’m still one of the older people here.  

A lot of older fans are surprised when they see young people getting into the Beatles, but I don’t think they should be. I mean, the original fan base was mostly teens –> beatlemaniacs_02_gif

I guess the younger fans are more likely going to be the ones on Internet forums. I think our Forum has a pretty even mix of under-thirty and over-thirty members, though. 

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: KyleKartan
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694