Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
6 July 2022
6.24pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

@meanmistermustard said
1922 Committee vote not to change their rules.

But said they fully expect the new 1922 Committee voted in on Monday will change the rules, and will have a mandate to change the rules given many of those who are standing are saying they will change the rules. Yes, it should be a year until another challenge, but if the winners have a mandate they can change the rules. Much like the SNP said of the last independence vote that it was a once in a generation event, but just a few years later can claim the mandate for a new vote.

Chair of the current 1922 Committee, Graham Brady, has just headed into Downing Street to tell the PM he has lost the confidence of the Party.

Last count 378 resignations.

If Boris doesn’t resign tonight, or agree to? Rishi Sunak resignation speech in the Commons tomorrow, and possibly resignations of Cabinet Ministers who are currently urging him to go.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 July 2022
6.34pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950
3702sp_Permalink sp_Print

Any change on Monday will surely depend on whether Johnson is in charge tho – all common sense says he won’t be but common sense and normality went out the window ages ago. 

It’s impossible to keep up with the resignations. Two groups in Downing Street; one insisting Johnson has to resign immediately, the other demanding he stays.

In other news Sturgeon’s request for another Scottish Independence Referendum is denied by Johnson.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

6 July 2022
6.44pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Yeah, it’s a case of whether he resigns before he is pushed. The 1922 election on Monday is where it could well end up.

If we do get more Cabinet resignations, he just may accept he has no way out, but equally likely to try carryong on regardless.

Sturgeon expected Boris to turn it down, which is why she said before Boris’s reply that she’ll take it to the UK Supreme Court whether the UK Parliament can deny the electoral mandate of the Scottish Parliament.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

6 July 2022
6.49pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3704sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sturgeon’s request and the subsequent refusal from Johnson was known to happen, going this was was purely playing by the rules.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

6 July 2022
8.20pm
Richard
North of England
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5274
3705sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
1922 Committee vote not to change their rules. 

Not yet, but I fully expect the rules will be changed if Boris refuses to resign.

Boris saying that even a no confidence vote by his party wouldn’t be enough to get him gone.

If he refuses, the party will remove him anyway.

It’s only a matter of time: hours, or a few days at most.

And in the end

The love you take is equal to the love you make

uk-flag-v-small-3.png

6 July 2022
8.34pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3706sp_Permalink sp_Print

Priti Patel is the latest to tell Johnson to go but he is refusing. 

It does look increasingly likely the 1922 Committee will have to change their rules to get rid of him, refusing to go under any circumstance.

6 July 2022
9.50pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3707sp_Permalink sp_Print

Michael Gove getting sacked by Boris is the latest development. 

UK politics has been more entertaining than the tennis and football as we enjoy the Conservative party go to war with itself.

6 July 2022
10.22pm
Richard
North of England
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5274
3708sp_Permalink sp_Print

If the strength of feeling against him isn’t already too strong, Boris might be allowed to stay as PM until his replacement is elected.

That would normally be the case of course, but this isn’t normal anyway.  I expect many would prefer to see him completely out of office as soon as possible.

And in the end

The love you take is equal to the love you make

uk-flag-v-small-3.png

6 July 2022
10.45pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3709sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
Michael Gove getting sacked by Boris is the latest development. 

UK politics has been more entertaining than the tennis and football as we enjoy the Conservative party go to war with itself.

I’m having a great time over here.

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

6 July 2022
11.28pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
3710sp_Permalink sp_Print

Every time I’ve gone upstairs to work in the stacks today, I say to my co-worker, “I wonder if Johnson will be out by the time I come back down stairs.”

7 July 2022
7.12am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3711sp_Permalink sp_Print

With the first two resignations of the day before 7am, Treasury Secretary Helen Whately and Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis, seems we’re off and running again. So that’s currently 48 resignations and 1 sacking.

It’s very doubtful Boris will be able to fill 49 Government and Party posts. Will more of the Cabinet Ministers who told him to go last night follow Lewis and resign? What will the number of resignations be by midnight, and will one of them be Boris?

7 July 2022
8.32am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

53 gone for whatever reason. Clearly Johnson is unwanted by his own party so it is now a matter of getting him out by whatever legal means as it would be pathetic if he remained by simple defiance.

7 July 2022
9.20am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3713sp_Permalink sp_Print

Boris to resign today, stay as PM to the Autumn and there is a new leader/PM in charge.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

Richard

7 July 2022
10.40am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3714sp_Permalink sp_Print

There is talk that Boris will be unable to stay on as PM until a new leader is elected due to the amount of holes there are in the Government, and the unlikelihood of those who have resigned returning to a Government role while he remains. Some suggestion the Deputy PM Dominic Raab may step into role as Acting PM.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Richard

7 July 2022
1.11pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3715sp_Permalink sp_Print

And there we have it, resigning leadership of the Conservative Party, just a case of seeing if he can fill all the necessary Government roles to continue through the autumn as PM.

The Hole Got Fixed

8 July 2022
11.32am
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2129

Rest In Peace Shinzo Abe. Shocking news. 

The following people thank Timothy for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

12 August 2022
5.36pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3717sp_Permalink sp_Print

Novelist Salman Rushdie has been attacked on stage at the Chautauqua Institution in New York. An event, him talking with an interviewer, had just begun who someone rushed the stage and, according to audience members, stabbed Rushdie several times, with police reporting an “apparent stab wound to the neck.” He has been flown to hospital and his condition is unknown. Police have a suspect in custody.

Rushdie has lived with threats to his life since the publication of The Satanic Verses in 1988, which led to him needing to spend nearly a decade in hiding under police guard after a fatwah was issued against him by Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khomeini, with a $3 million bounty placed on his head.

8 September 2022
1.24pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3718sp_Permalink sp_Print

It seems we may be being prepared for the imminent death of Queen Elizabeth II as a statement has been issued by Buckingham Palace:

BP.jpgImage Enlarger

Buckingham Palace don’t make this kind of statement lightly, no mention of her “mobility problem” as so often in recent months, which indicates this is something different.

The Speaker of the House of Commons interrupted the debate on energy prices to respond to the statement. Prince Charles has travelled to Balmoral, Prince William and other Royals are said to be on their way.

Political and Church leaders are issuing statements.

Should the worst happen, not only a big moment for the UK, but for the world. She is the head of state of 14 countries, alongside being head of the Commonwealth.

Something serious is happening.

My thoughts and prayers are with Her Majesty .

KyleKartan

8 September 2022
4.27pm
Let It Bleed
On the pavement thinking ‘bout the government
Decca
Members
Forum Posts: 89

The following people thank Let It Bleed for this post:

Rube, KyleKartan

GET BACK IS HERE!

cool Beatles sites: good ‘ol Alan  nice song-by-song  and of course this place

Tied for most likely to derail a thread 2021 (don’t know how to post images on my sig, mods help)

8 September 2022
6.29pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213

I imagine Paul will be really sad when Her Majesty dies.

paul-and-queen4.PNGImage Enlarger

blue.PNGImage Enlarger

gold.PNGImage Enlarger

paul-and-queen.jpgImage Enlarger

paul-and-queen3.jpgImage Enlarger

essay.PNGImage Enlarger

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Rube, Richard, vonbontee, KyleKartan
Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5510
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691