Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
2 December 2020
1.44am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3501sp_Permalink sp_Print

Breaking news that the UK has approved use of the Pfizer vaccine, which could be fantastic to try to stop the spread in the UK. Let’s hope that other countries are able to make the same decisions as soon as they deem it safe to do so.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

QuarryMan, kelicopter, Sky999

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

4 December 2020
1.58pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3502sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama have agreed to get vaccinated on live TV in an attempt to dissuade those skeptical of the vaccine. While this may seem like a good idea on the surface, it really isn’t for 3 reasons:

1. If any of them get sick, support for the vaccine would plummet.

2. There’s no way to prove to skeptics that they’re not getting a fake vaccine.

3. These aren’t likable people:

Bill Clinton destroyed the once populist Democratic party (which is now a neoliberal party funded by the big banks), destroyed American businesses with NAFTA, had the whole Monica Lewinsky scandal, and both he and his wife are known for being incredibly corrupt.

George W. Bush gave us the Patriot Act, which effectively gives the government the right to spy on anyone it wants (in direct violation of the 4th amendment), started 2 endless wars, botched hurricane Katrina so badly that Canada had to step in, and tanked our economy.

Barack Obama spent over $10B bailing out GM, escalated Bush’s endless wars (performing drone strikes on civilians and even once blowing up a hospital), continued Bush’s fascistic Patriot Act, deported more people than even Trump, and was the first to hide his corruption under the facade of cultural leftism.

If you want a politician to get vaccinated on live TV, it’d make much more sense to pick someone who’s honest and trustworthy like Ralph Nader than 3 people who are despised by both the grassroots left and the grassroots right.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

QuarryMan, Vera Chuck and Dave

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

4 December 2020
2.31pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3503sp_Permalink sp_Print

With four weeks to go, Brexit talks have been “paused” as the UK and EU are nowhere near agreement on fishing and future governance of any agreement. A no-deal exit is looking likely.

For skeptics, @Dark Overlord, idiots that they are (and I realise you may be one), watching their gran getting the vaccine wouldn’t convince them, and whether you like someone like Barack Obama or not, it doesn’t change the fact that he still polls as the 2nd most popular Democrat.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, Von Bontee

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

4 December 2020
3.14pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3504sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
For skeptics, @Dark Overlord, idiots that they are (and I realise you may be one), watching their gran getting the vaccine wouldn’t convince them, and whether you like someone like Barack Obama or not, it doesn’t change the fact that he still polls as the 2nd most popular Democrat.

While i don’t personally plan on getting vaccinated (although i will if my employer requires me to), i can assure you that i have no plans on preventing others from getting vaccinated and i plan to continue wearing masks indoors and follow other guidelines until it’s safe not to (possibly even longer).

As for Obama being the 2nd most popular Democrat, it’s very strange considering that the vast majority of Republicans and a good chunk of the left despise him but you’re right.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

5 December 2020
2.03am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
3505sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

As long as grandma is vaccinated nobody has to worry. That’s the one person nobody wants to give the rona to. Ngl I’d probably be more open to going out and seeing whoever I want if I didn’t have grandparents and a great-grandma I visit. 

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

7 December 2020
5.02pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3506sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bob Dylan has sold his entire back catalogue, publishing, copyrights and all, to Universal Music, in a deal said to be in worth “hundreds of millions of dollars”.

sir walter raleigh, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 December 2020
9.02pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
3507sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8 Do you think that’s a good or bad thing?

7 December 2020
9.11pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
3508sp_Permalink sp_Print

in the age of streaming it could be foreboding sign, artists are cashing in however they can as the future of the music industry is shrouded in uncertainty. Dylan is ahead of the others as usual, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see other artists do similar things. Dave Crosby said on Twitter that he planned to sell his catalogue soon.  

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

QuarryMan

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

8 December 2020
12.06am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3509sp_Permalink sp_Print

I think it depends on how the catalogue is treated by its new owner, @Ahhh Girl. It was surprising to see many of the super deluxe editions of Bootleg Series albums, including the complete Cutting EdgeBasement Tapes, and the controversial Tell-Tale Signs (whose 3-disc version saw an extra $100 added to the price for the third disc) appearing on streaming sites like Spotify. These were said to be sets that would not be released in their entirety digitally, but have been in the last week, coinciding with this deal.

I don’t think it’s hugely precedent setting. It’s a 79-year-old man selling his property for a huge sum (rumoured to be around $340 million dollars, a much bigger sum, even being optimistic, than Bob was likely to earn from royalties in his remaining years) and it’s likely he’s retained a say in how it’s handled while he is still around.

Just as Dylan gave his physical archive to a museum a couple of years ago, he’s now disposed of the rights to his work. Younger artists, such as Taylor Swift, are reclaiming earlier work, in her case re-recording all her early albums that she has lost the rights to. This isn’t one size fits all.

It’s a little like the pensioner who sells the equity in their house before they die but keep on being able to live in the house until they die.

I think this move is all about age and not how rights will be managed in future.

Ahhh Girl, lovelyritametermaid

22 December 2020
7.10pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
3510sp_Permalink sp_Print

Covid has now reached every continent on the globe, with 36 cases being reported in Antarctica.

QuarryMan, kelicopter

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

24 December 2020
3.38am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3511sp_Permalink sp_Print

It is expected that a trade deal between the UK and EU will be announced at some stage today.

28 December 2020
9.07am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22223
3512sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ursula von der Leyen used a Beatles reference in her “goodbye to the UK” speech when she talked about the process of getting to a deal.

It was a long and winding road. But we have got a good deal to show for it. It is fair, it is a balanced deal, and it is the right and responsible thing to do for both sides.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Richard
30 December 2020
4.37pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
3513sp_Permalink sp_Print

Argentina just legalised abortion!

Perhaps @Jules would be able to elaborate on what the feeling is like there? 

QuarryMan, Von Bontee, Jules, WeepingAtlasCedars

aus-flag-v-small.png

1 January 2021
10.08am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Very rarely is music put up by an artist(s) on the net (is there much missing??) that makes me delighted but The KLF have started to to up their back catalogue after decades of it being absent from every legal source possible. So, yes, this is news.

‘Justified & Ancient’ is a real WTF (Tammy Wynette!!) but it’s an incredible song.

ab_channel=KLF

If you don’t know the story of KLF you really should read up. Their BRIT Awards performance is legendary for basically trolling the entire music industry, their final act before leaving it.

ab_channel=EaracheRecords

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

1 January 2021
11.24am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

The Hole Got Fixed said

Perhaps @Jules would be able to elaborate on what the feeling is like there? 

That is right!! You know I knew somebody was gonna mention it when I logged in. Me and my close friends have been following the media on this for almost a month and I’m very proud of the outcome.

There’s the usual feeling of relief, since there’s been I think two re-evaluations of the subject in the senate in the last 10 years and finally a change has come. And also the losing side by now it’s taking it personal in the media and a lot of heat has come to social media as well. I even have close relatives arguing. But hey, I hope we can speed up the process in other places where it’s still a taboo issue, so I’m very hopeful for the image this will have of the country in the futureahdn_george_05

Happy New Year btw!!! apple01

The following people thank Jules for this post:

QuarryMan, The Hole Got Fixed, Von Bontee, WeepingAtlasCedars

the watusi

the twist

1 January 2021
4.23pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
3516sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

The Hole Got Fixed said

Perhaps Jules would be able to elaborate on what the feeling is like there? 

That is right!! You know I knew somebody was gonna mention it when I logged in.

Are we that predictable? ahdn_john_08_gif

Me and my close friends have been following the media on this for almost a month and I’m very proud of the outcome.

There’s the usual feeling of relief, since there’s been I think two re-evaluations of the subject in the senate in the last 10 years and finally a change has come. And also the losing side by now it’s taking it personal in the media and a lot of heat has come to social media as well. I even have close relatives arguing. But hey, I hope we can speed up the process in other places where it’s still a taboo issue, so I’m very hopeful for the image this will have of the country in the futureahdn_george_05

The losing side is always going to cause a stir, but that’s democracy. So glad you guys are paving the way for South America! 

Yes, hopefully this makes it a little less taboo. Slowly but surely, you’ll lead the way. 

Happy New Year btw!!! apple01

Happy New Year to you too! 

Jules

aus-flag-v-small.png

3 January 2021
3.05pm
Vera Chuck and Dave
Carnegie Hall
Members
Forum Posts: 598
3517sp_Permalink sp_Print

The following people thank Vera Chuck and Dave for this post:

vonbontee, The Hole Got Fixed
3 January 2021
4.45pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3518sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, it does seem as if attempted voter fraud has been found in the US Presidential election. Extracts from an hour-long call to the head of Georgia’s election commission, and the commission’s lawyer, from President Trump, has him demanding they find him extra votes (even suggesting the exact number he needs to win the state), suggesting they are knowingly putting forward a fraudulent result, and suggesting they could face criminal charges if they don’t find his missing votes…

WTF! This has to be one of the most shocking recordings of a President ever made, up their with Nixon, and one of the most corrupt moments in US politics. If you had the President of a developing nation telling election officials that they needed to find him extra votes or possibly face criminal charges, we would be calling that election corrupt.

There were thoughts this type of thing was going on behind the scenes, but to actually hear it…

a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-6a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie

Vera Chuck and Dave, QuarryMan

3 January 2021
6.37pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
3519sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not him. Fake news. Didn’t happen. Made up by the nasty people and media. You’re not actually listening to it, you’re just deceived into believing you are. And whatever other crap Trump comes out to deny this ever happened.

Trump and his team are trying everything to stop the declaration coming. Hopefully, Biden’s win is approved and the country can move on but no doubt something will be done to stop it. Legal or not I’m not sure it matters now to Trump etc.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Vera Chuck and Dave

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 January 2021
8.32am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3520sp_Permalink sp_Print

It was never about democracy for Trump, it’s about getting as much power as possible and holding onto it as long as he can. When you’ve gotten everything you wanted your entire life and have an army of millions of loyal supporters, what’s a little thing like integrity to get in your way? 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Vera Chuck and Dave

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694