Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
13 November 2020
3.21pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 11055
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3481sp_Permalink sp_Print

Georgia is an automatic recount, @Dark Overlord, and the Trump campaign has already withdrawn its demand for a recount in Nevada because the gap is too wide.

Waiting for Trump to speak for the first time in ten days. Subject Covid-19 vaccines but bound to be shouted questions about the election which he'll answer or pretend haven't been uttered.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 November 2020
4.09pm
meanmistermustard
Here when I am. Not when I am not.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 23411
3482sp_Permalink sp_Print

It doesn't matter the result. Trump has shown his way is shouting whatever crap he believes and if you don't agree then you are next to worthless. He could have lost far heavier and he’d still go on claiming unfairness, cheating, fraud, conspiracies and lies by all involved. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid, Dark Overlord

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 November 2020
8.35pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4375
3483sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like to think of it this way, if Trump gets his recounts but STILL refuses to accept defeat, he would destroy every ounce of credibility he has left and make himself the laughing stock of the world, as well as destroy the careers of anyone who agrees with him on that front so unless Trump's somehow able to discard ~50K votes, it's a win win.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

13 November 2020
9.14pm
vonbontee
Inside an Apple Orchard in a Letterbox
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4510
3484sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
I like to think of it this way, if Trump gets his recounts but STILL refuses to accept defeat, he would destroy every ounce of credibility he has left and make himself the laughing stock of the world, as well as destroy the careers of anyone who agrees with him on that front so unless Trump's somehow able to discard ~50K votes, it's a win win.

I've got news for you...

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

sir walter raleigh, The Hole Got Fixed, AppleScruffJunior, meanmistermustard, QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars, lovelyritametermaid

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions, Marvin Gaye. PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

Von-Bontee-2017.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

17 November 2020
4.16pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ron Nasty said
Wow! A year ago Jeremy Corbyn was leading the Labour Party into a General Election, today he has been suspended by the party and had the whip removed (which means his vote in Parliament is no longer a Labour vote) over his attitude to anti-Semitism, pending a full investigation.

He kind of apologised for his comments when initially suspended and has had his suspension removed but hasn't been rewhipped.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

QuarryMan

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

18 November 2020
2.30pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3627
3486sp_Permalink sp_Print

If Starmer honestly believes that Corbyn is an antisemite, then he should probably explain to the public why he campaigned for him to be Prime Minister.

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

¡No pasarán!

18 November 2020
3.21pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Starmer hasn't refused to return the whip on the grounds of Corbyn being antisemetic though, @QuarryMan, but instead for expressing views on the degree of antismitism in the party which undermined the current leadership's moves to remove the stain of antisemitism from the party.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

19 November 2020
9.59am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3488sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Starmer hasn't refused to return the whip on the grounds of Corbyn being antisemetic though, @QuarryMan, but instead for expressing views on the degree of antisemitism in the party which undermined the current leadership's moves to remove the stain of antisemitism from the party.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Even if he'd left out the 'overstated' part, Corbyn's statement would still have been highly unhelpful. I definitely think Starmer could've handled this better, though. The whole situation is now a huge mess that's dividing the party and making us look awful to the public. If Starmer wants to stamp out the scourge of antisemitism he'd be better served uniting the party to do it, rather than making it an issue of right versus left. 

Currently midway through a chapter on the antisemitism crisis in Owen Jones' excellent obituary of the Corbyn project, This Land, and a combination of that and the racial politics module I'm currently taking has really helped me wrap my head around the nature of antisemitism and why the vast majority of people within the Labour Party who aren't antisemitic themselves may not have been as capable of dealing with it as they could + should have been. I would highly recommend it to anyone. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

kelicopter, lovelyritametermaid

¡No pasarán!

20 November 2020
12.08am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3489sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Ron Nasty said

Starmer hasn't refused to return the whip on the grounds of Corbyn being antisemetic though, @QuarryMan, but instead for expressing views on the degree of antisemitism in the party which undermined the current leadership's moves to remove the stain of antisemitism from the party.

Yeah, I suppose that's true. Even if he'd left out the 'overstated' part, Corbyn's statement would still have been highly unhelpful. I definitely think Starmer could've handled this better, though. The whole situation is now a huge mess that's dividing the party and making us look awful to the public. If Starmer wants to stamp out the scourge of antisemitism he'd be better served uniting the party to do it, rather than making it an issue of right versus left. 

I think Starmer was caught between a rock and a hard place. One of the core messages of his leadership campaign was that he would rebuild trust with the Jewish community (among whom Labour has always had strong support). Many Jewish MPs, members and supporters reserved judgement, saying his actions would speak louder than words.

The very first opportunity he has to make a clear and meaningful statement on antisemitism in the Labour Party, his response to the Equality and Human Rights Commission's report on the troubles with it during Corbyn's period of leadership, and Corbyn immediately comes out and rejects the Commission's findings.

Had Starmer accepted Corbyn back into the parliamentary party (at least, without a fight) it would have further alienated the Jewish community and could have resulted in further resignations from the party; not welcoming him back into the Parliamentary party with open arms would always have caused outrage among his supporters.

Jewish Labour voices were already reacting in anger to Corbyn's readmission to the wider party by the NEC, with Dame Margaret Hodge (the Jewish Labour Movement's parliamentary chair) promising Starmer her resignation from the party if Corbyn was allowed to sit as a Labour MP. The division was the inevitable result of the NEC decision. It could be argued that the NEC (which has many Corbyn supporters among its number) set up this confrontation between left and right, and that they would have been better to say that, since Labour are setting up an independent process in response to the EHRC report, that the case would be better judged by waiting for the new independent process than by a five-person committee that the EHRC had already found at fault in its handling of such cases.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

QuarryMan

20 November 2020
2.05am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3490sp_Permalink sp_Print

Corbyn being readmitted would have caused as much of an issue within Labour due to divisions thru-out the party. To show some sign of leadership and signal that Starmer was actively doing something to finally address the issue of anti-Semitism within Labour, this was really the only course of action he could take. That Corbyn's initial response downplayed the findings of the report only reinforced action was required, regardless of the clarification he gave later.

21 November 2020
10.52am
Tony Japanese
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 748
3491sp_Permalink sp_Print

This week has been Anti-Bullying week in the UK. In other an investiation into Priti Patel (the Home Secretary) has found 'evidence of bullying behaviour' in her managerial style. Usually this would be classified as gross-misconduct and probably result in dismissal, but Boris Johnson has chose to ignore the report and defend Patel, as have a significant number of backbench Tory MPs on Twitter. 

I'm not here to ask if Patel is a bully or not, that's for the people she's managed and for the investigators to decide. But I'm intrigued about a number of things.

1. Where do all these rent-a-quote MPs come from, and who tells them to defend a colleague on Twitter? It was similar with Dominic Cummings/Barnard Castle incident earlier in the yea, with many Conservative MPs praising Cumming's paternal instinct etc. Are they praising Patel because they genuinely believe she is a nice person or because they've been told to?

2. Why am I convinced that if you replace the words 'Priti Patel' with 'Diane Abbott (the Shadow HS)' the same people defending Patel on Twitter, would be demanding that Keir Stamer sack Diane Abbott for breaking the Ministerial Code. Why am I also convinced that the same people saying Patel should be sacked, would be lining up to defend Abbot's character etc?

The following people thank Tony Japanese for this post:

kelicopter
21 November 2020
12.23pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5198
3492sp_Permalink sp_Print

wait, so an adult can get in trouble for bullying? That seems weird to me, considering in America people bully each other all day long and you never even hear the word brought up. 

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

21 November 2020
3.19pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3493sp_Permalink sp_Print

If it was Labour then the Tories would be demanding the MP be sacked and Labour would be defending him/her. Happens every time and it doesn't matter what they do. To expect otherwise nowadays is plain daft.

The lesson to learn is that doing bad things is bad, unless they are in your party when it's not their fault and they are really sorry that you think it is. 

23 November 2020
5.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3494sp_Permalink sp_Print

BREAKING NEWS: In the last few minutes it's being reported that Emily Murphy, head of the General Services Administration, the agency in the US that oversees the transition, has told Joe Biden that the transition to his presidency can formally begin; meaning he now has access to the funding he should and, more important, the necessary briefings he needs to know the exact position he's inheriting.

President Trump, and this could be the nearest we ever get to a concession, has tweeted:

I want to thank Emily Murphy at GSA for her steadfast dedication and loyalty to our Country. She has been harassed, threatened, and abused – and I do not want to see this happen to her, her family, or employees of GSA. Our case STRONGLY continues, we will keep up the good fight, and I believe we will prevail! Nevertheless, in the best interest of our Country, I am recommending that Emily and her team do what needs to be done with regard to initial protocols, and have told my team to do the same.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, QuarryMan

24 November 2020
5.24am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3495sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fingers crossed for a peaceful transition of power. 

¡No pasarán!

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: Lisa001
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 15966
Ron Nasty: 11055
50yearslate: 8663
Necko: 7920
AppleScruffJunior: 7250
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6403
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
sir walter raleigh: 5198
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2596
Moderators: 6
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 4950
Newest Members:
Billy Shears, pat0099, hoaxing, AlisaFrost, ThomasWeek
Moderators: Joe: 5184, Zig: 9812, meanmistermustard: 23411, Ahhh Girl: 19643, Beatlebug: 17426, The Hole Got Fixed: 8041
Administrators: Joe: 5184