Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
13 November 2020
3.21pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3481sp_Permalink sp_Print

Georgia is an automatic recount, @Dark Overlord, and the Trump campaign has already withdrawn its demand for a recount in Nevada because the gap is too wide.

Waiting for Trump to speak for the first time in ten days. Subject Covid-19 vaccines but bound to be shouted questions about the election which he’ll answer or pretend haven’t been uttered.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 November 2020
4.09pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
3482sp_Permalink sp_Print

It doesn’t matter the result. Trump has shown his way is shouting whatever crap he believes and if you don’t agree then you are next to worthless. He could have lost far heavier and he’d still go on claiming unfairness, cheating, fraud, conspiracies and lies by all involved. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid, Dark Overlord

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 November 2020
8.35pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3483sp_Permalink sp_Print

I like to think of it this way, if Trump gets his recounts but STILL refuses to accept defeat, he would destroy every ounce of credibility he has left and make himself the laughing stock of the world, as well as destroy the careers of anyone who agrees with him on that front so unless Trump’s somehow able to discard ~50K votes, it’s a win win.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

13 November 2020
9.14pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
3484sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
I like to think of it this way, if Trump gets his recounts but STILL refuses to accept defeat, he would destroy every ounce of credibility he has left and make himself the laughing stock of the world, as well as destroy the careers of anyone who agrees with him on that front so unless Trump’s somehow able to discard ~50K votes, it’s a win win.

I’ve got news for you…

The following people thank vonbontee for this post:

sir walter raleigh, The Hole Got Fixed, AppleScruffJunior, meanmistermustard, QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars, lovelyritametermaid

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

17 November 2020
4.16pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ron Nasty said
Wow! A year ago Jeremy Corbyn was leading the Labour Party into a General Election, today he has been suspended by the party and had the whip removed (which means his vote in Parliament is no longer a Labour vote) over his attitude to anti-Semitism, pending a full investigation.

He kind of apologised for his comments when initially suspended and has had his suspension removed but hasn’t been rewhipped.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

QuarryMan

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

18 November 2020
2.30pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3486sp_Permalink sp_Print

If Starmer honestly believes that Corbyn is an antisemite, then he should probably explain to the public why he campaigned for him to be Prime Minister.

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

18 November 2020
3.21pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Starmer hasn’t refused to return the whip on the grounds of Corbyn being antisemetic though, @QuarryMan, but instead for expressing views on the degree of antismitism in the party which undermined the current leadership’s moves to remove the stain of antisemitism from the party.

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

19 November 2020
9.59am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3488sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Starmer hasn’t refused to return the whip on the grounds of Corbyn being antisemetic though, @QuarryMan, but instead for expressing views on the degree of antisemitism in the party which undermined the current leadership’s moves to remove the stain of antisemitism from the party.

Yeah, I suppose that’s true. Even if he’d left out the ‘overstated’ part, Corbyn’s statement would still have been highly unhelpful. I definitely think Starmer could’ve handled this better, though. The whole situation is now a huge mess that’s dividing the party and making us look awful to the public. If Starmer wants to stamp out the scourge of antisemitism he’d be better served uniting the party to do it, rather than making it an issue of right versus left. 

Currently midway through a chapter on the antisemitism crisis in Owen Jones’ excellent obituary of the Corbyn project, This Land, and a combination of that and the racial politics module I’m currently taking has really helped me wrap my head around the nature of antisemitism and why the vast majority of people within the Labour Party who aren’t antisemitic themselves may not have been as capable of dealing with it as they could + should have been. I would highly recommend it to anyone. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

kelicopter, lovelyritametermaid

20 November 2020
12.08am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3489sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Ron Nasty said

Starmer hasn’t refused to return the whip on the grounds of Corbyn being antisemetic though, @QuarryMan, but instead for expressing views on the degree of antisemitism in the party which undermined the current leadership’s moves to remove the stain of antisemitism from the party.

Yeah, I suppose that’s true. Even if he’d left out the ‘overstated’ part, Corbyn’s statement would still have been highly unhelpful. I definitely think Starmer could’ve handled this better, though. The whole situation is now a huge mess that’s dividing the party and making us look awful to the public. If Starmer wants to stamp out the scourge of antisemitism he’d be better served uniting the party to do it, rather than making it an issue of right versus left. 

I think Starmer was caught between a rock and a hard place. One of the core messages of his leadership campaign was that he would rebuild trust with the Jewish community (among whom Labour has always had strong support). Many Jewish MPs, members and supporters reserved judgement, saying his actions would speak louder than words.

The very first opportunity he has to make a clear and meaningful statement on antisemitism in the Labour Party, his response to the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s report on the troubles with it during Corbyn’s period of leadership, and Corbyn immediately comes out and rejects the Commission’s findings.

Had Starmer accepted Corbyn back into the parliamentary party (at least, without a fight) it would have further alienated the Jewish community and could have resulted in further resignations from the party; not welcoming him back into the Parliamentary party with open arms would always have caused outrage among his supporters.

Jewish Labour voices were already reacting in anger to Corbyn’s readmission to the wider party by the NEC, with Dame Margaret Hodge (the Jewish Labour Movement’s parliamentary chair) promising Starmer her resignation from the party if Corbyn was allowed to sit as a Labour MP. The division was the inevitable result of the NEC decision. It could be argued that the NEC (which has many Corbyn supporters among its number) set up this confrontation between left and right, and that they would have been better to say that, since Labour are setting up an independent process in response to the EHRC report, that the case would be better judged by waiting for the new independent process than by a five-person committee that the EHRC had already found at fault in its handling of such cases.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

QuarryMan

20 November 2020
2.05am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3490sp_Permalink sp_Print

Corbyn being readmitted would have caused as much of an issue within Labour due to divisions thru-out the party. To show some sign of leadership and signal that Starmer was actively doing something to finally address the issue of anti-Semitism within Labour, this was really the only course of action he could take. That Corbyn’s initial response downplayed the findings of the report only reinforced action was required, regardless of the clarification he gave later.

21 November 2020
10.52am
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 913
3491sp_Permalink sp_Print

This week has been Anti-Bullying week in the UK. In other an investiation into Priti Patel (the Home Secretary) has found ‘evidence of bullying behaviour’ in her managerial style. Usually this would be classified as gross-misconduct and probably result in dismissal, but Boris Johnson has chose to ignore the report and defend Patel, as have a significant number of backbench Tory MPs on Twitter. 

I’m not here to ask if Patel is a bully or not, that’s for the people she’s managed and for the investigators to decide. But I’m intrigued about a number of things.

1. Where do all these rent-a-quote MPs come from, and who tells them to defend a colleague on Twitter? It was similar with Dominic Cummings/Barnard Castle incident earlier in the yea, with many Conservative MPs praising Cumming’s paternal instinct etc. Are they praising Patel because they genuinely believe she is a nice person or because they’ve been told to?

2. Why am I convinced that if you replace the words ‘Priti Patel’ with ‘Diane Abbott (the Shadow HS)’ the same people defending Patel on Twitter, would be demanding that Keir Stamer sack Diane Abbott for breaking the Ministerial Code. Why am I also convinced that the same people saying Patel should be sacked, would be lining up to defend Abbot’s character etc?

The following people thank Tony Japanese for this post:

kelicopter
21 November 2020
12.23pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
3492sp_Permalink sp_Print

wait, so an adult can get in trouble for bullying? That seems weird to me, considering in America people bully each other all day long and you never even hear the word brought up. 

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

21 November 2020
3.19pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3493sp_Permalink sp_Print

If it was Labour then the Tories would be demanding the MP be sacked and Labour would be defending him/her. Happens every time and it doesn’t matter what they do. To expect otherwise nowadays is plain daft.

The lesson to learn is that doing bad things is bad, unless they are in your party when it’s not their fault and they are really sorry that you think it is. 

23 November 2020
5.43pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3494sp_Permalink sp_Print

BREAKING NEWS: In the last few minutes it’s being reported that Emily Murphy, head of the General Services Administration, the agency in the US that oversees the transition, has told Joe Biden that the transition to his presidency can formally begin; meaning he now has access to the funding he should and, more important, the necessary briefings he needs to know the exact position he’s inheriting.

President Trump, and this could be the nearest we ever get to a concession, has tweeted:

I want to thank Emily Murphy at GSA for her steadfast dedication and loyalty to our Country. She has been harassed, threatened, and abused – and I do not want to see this happen to her, her family, or employees of GSA. Our case STRONGLY continues, we will keep up the good fight, and I believe we will prevail! Nevertheless, in the best interest of our Country, I am recommending that Emily and her team do what needs to be done with regard to initial protocols, and have told my team to do the same.

The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, QuarryMan

24 November 2020
5.24am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3495sp_Permalink sp_Print

Fingers crossed for a peaceful transition of power. 

1 December 2020
2.54am
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690

@The Hole Got Fixed said on another thread
If you do find the time I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the US election… 

Oh where do I begin. I probably think exactly what you think I’m thinking. First off I find it terrifying and somehow also hilarious how Trump isn’t willing to move an inch, to stop a second and actually ask himself if he should at least go down with honor. Even though I oppose Trump and always have held him in very low regard, I can’t believe he won’t even concede this. I didn’t think he could be more of a bad example and a man child.

On another note, American media that defends him is seriously embarrassing. Generally, I think the arrogance is on both sides, which is partially why, even though I lean left, left-leaning media has been disgusting me as well lately. But on the last month, they have had plenty to complain about, given we have the most powerful man in the world unwilling to step down from office. And media spreading misinformation to somehow support that makes me sick. There should be a line of decency that right now the US lacks, and sets a bad example for the rest of the world that is watching.

On another note I think the fact that Joe Biden has won the election overshadows a much bigger issue with the US electing system (even though many have pointed it out), which is the structure of the US electoral system, which I find ridiculous. I am aware that Biden would’ve won anyways but that is besides the point that not all votes count equally. I don’t fully understand it but I understand as much as the totality of the votes is not taken into account. Dividing by states, and having those states divided by a select group of people is such an easy way to not make justice to what the majority of the people want (which I believe was the case for Clinton on 2016).

And even though Trump won fair and square on the first election, he won under a system that should’ve been changed a long time ago, and now that the election has come to a relative end and the Democratic Party got what they wanted, the topic probably won’t be discussed until the next election, when it will be again too late to change it. If you have 300 million people voting, 300 million votes should be counted and 300 million votes should be taken into account. It’s crazy.

the watusi

the twist

1 December 2020
3.45pm
Sky999
On The Hill
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2059
3497sp_Permalink sp_Print

https://www.wbrc.com/2020/11/3…..-vaccines/

Only 40,000 vaccines will be ready in Alabama when they begin administering. ahdn_paul_01I hope the start administering more because I’m in the top bracket work in homecare with the elderly. 

1 December 2020
7.15pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
3498sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jules said

@The Hole Got Fixed said on another thread

If you do find the time I’d be interested to hear your thoughts on the US election… 

Oh where do I begin. I probably think exactly what you think I’m thinking. First off I find it terrifying and somehow also hilarious how Trump isn’t willing to move an inch, to stop a second and actually ask himself if he should at least go down with honor. Even though I oppose Trump and always have held him in very low regard, I can’t believe he won’t even concede this. I didn’t think he could be more of a bad example and a man child.

That’s because he’s an extreme narcissist, who refuses to believe the majority of the population doesn’t want him to be president. I totally agree though, I’m susprised he doesn’t want to go down with a tiny amount of honour.

On another note, American media that defends him is seriously embarrassing. Generally, I think the arrogance is on both sides, which is partially why, even though I lean left, left-leaning media has been disgusting me as well lately. But on the last month, they have had plenty to complain about, given we have the most powerful man in the world unwilling to step down from office. And media spreading misinformation to somehow support that makes me sick. There should be a line of decency that right now the US lacks, and sets a bad example for the rest of the world that is watching.

The media is just ridiculous, and it’s like that pretty much everywhere in the world. There’s little in the way of unbiased media, and it’s a real problem. The lack of integrity and the arrogance, as you say, is astounding.

On another note I think the fact that Joe Biden has won the election overshadows a much bigger issue with the US electing system (even though many have pointed it out), which is the structure of the US electoral system, which I find ridiculous. I am aware that Biden would’ve won anyways but that is besides the point that not all votes count equally. I don’t fully understand it but I understand as much as the totality of the votes is not taken into account. Dividing by states, and having those states divided by a select group of people is such an easy way to not make justice to what the majority of the people want (which I believe was the case for Clinton on 2016).

And even though Trump won fair and square on the first election, he won under a system that should’ve been changed a long time ago, and now that the election has come to a relative end and the Democratic Party got what they wanted, the topic probably won’t be discussed until the next election, when it will be again too late to change it. If you have 300 million people voting, 300 million votes should be counted and 300 million votes should be taken into account. It’s crazy.

Agree 100%. The electoral college is stupid, it means some people’s vote is worth more than others. For the presidential race, it should be decided on who wins the popular vote – that’s easily the fairest way of doing it. The fact that there are 192,919 people per electoral vote in Wyoming and 718,404 people per electoral vote in California is wrong and unfair – a person from Wyoming has an almost 4 times greater say than a Californian.

Thanks for your views, very fascinating. And we agreed on everythingahdn_john_08_gif

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Jules

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

1 December 2020
7.44pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3499sp_Permalink sp_Print

The electoral collage will just end up with Texas swinging every vote

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Jules

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

1 December 2020
8.49pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3500sp_Permalink sp_Print

Trump-appointed, and big supporter of, Attorney General Bill Barr says of the Department of Justice and the FBI “To date, we have not seen fraud on a scale that could have effected a different outcome in the election.”

President Trump is not happy. Bill Barr another sacking in the pipeline?

Electoral college would be much more representative if it returned its electors based on a proportional representation, and then Republicans in California and Democrats in Wyoming would have a voice in elections instead of being ignored.

Jules, The Hole Got Fixed

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694