Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
6 November 2020
8.18pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3441sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said
Don’t vote third party in the US. You are just spoiling the election. People who think they can change the system by voting third party are fooling themself. If you wanna vote third party, do it in local elections.

Very true. That’s the benefit of preferential voting (which I think Maine does?), you can actually vote third party and then choose one of the major candidates for the event your minor party candidate doesn’t win.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

7 November 2020
7.46am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3442sp_Permalink sp_Print

WE SHOULD ALL BE MAINE

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

7 November 2020
9.15am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

By the time the result is announced they’ll be campaigning for the next Presidential election. I know it all has to be done properly but whatever happens Trump is going to lock himself in the furthest toilet from the White House front door and refuse to leave whilst claiming he cannot concede as the vote never actually happened and everything has been fake so, sod it, call the result, get the lawsuits going and move the story on.

Schauinslandbahnana Bored GIF - Schauinslandbahnana Bored  WatchingBoringMovie - Discover & Share GIFsImage Enlarger

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 November 2020
9.23am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
3444sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Hole Got Fixed said

Starr Shine? said

Don’t vote third party in the US. You are just spoiling the election. People who think they can change the system by voting third party are fooling themself. If you wanna vote third party, do it in local elections.

Very true. That’s the benefit of preferential voting (which I think Maine does?), you can actually vote third party and then choose one of the major candidates for the event your minor party candidate doesn’t win.

YES RANKED VOTING ALL ACROSS THE U.S. PLEASE!

Also, I really do hate living in a country that is strictly a two-party system (that is, two ruling parties where you basically have no other realistic options because third parties are so minor). Like I don’t like Republicans or Democrats, but because of our majorly two-party system I’m forced to only choose between these two when it comes to elections. And while, yes, some progressive leftists do sometimes register and run as Dems, I still wish we had a more prominent progressive leftist party :/

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

7 November 2020
10.01am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3445sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said

It depends on the state. If you live in a swing state, then you’re 100% correct. However, if you live in a safe state (like i do) where one party’s guaranteed to win in a landslide, then voting 3rd party is perfectly fine because there’s practically no chance it’ll change the outcome of the election.

Also, while rare, there have been 3rd party candidates with a chance of winning (or throwing the election to the house), most notably George Wallace in 1968 and Ross Perot in 1992.

WE SHOULD ALL BE MAINE

100% agree, i’m glad that Maine finally got around to implementing ranked choice voting, meaning that people can safely vote 3rd party without fear of being a spoiler.

lovelyritametermaid said
Also, I really do hate living in a country that is strictly a two-party system (that is, two ruling parties where you basically have no other realistic options because third parties are so minor). Like I don’t like Republicans or Democrats, but because of our majorly two-party system I’m forced to only choose between these two when it comes to elections. And while, yes, some progressive leftists do sometimes register and run as Dems, I still wish we had a more prominent progressive leftist party :/

Personally, i’d abolish political parties entirely and instead have everyone write in the candidates of their choice (one slot for president, the other for VP) with ranked choice voting.

It’d look something like this:

1. Rand Paul/Justin Amash

2. Bill Weld/Gary Johnson

3. Andrew Yang/Tulsi Gabbard

4. ________/________

5. ________/________

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

7 November 2020
10.31am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534

The BBC have just called the election for Biden, giving him Pennsylvania. Other major news networks, including the American networks (Fox News among them), are doing the same.

Joe Biden is the President Elect, and Kamala Harris is the Vice-President Elect.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, kelicopter, Von Bontee

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 November 2020
12.19pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

meanmistermustard said
By the time the result is announced they’ll be campaigning for the next Presidential election. I know it all has to be done properly but whatever happens Trump is going to lock himself in the furthest toilet from the White House front door and refuse to leave whilst claiming he cannot concede as the vote never actually happened and everything has been fake so, sod it, call the result, get the lawsuits going and move the story on.

Schauinslandbahnana Bored GIF - Schauinslandbahnana Bored  WatchingBoringMovie - Discover & Share GIFsImage Enlarger

Result called, lawsuits issued, Trump and his team making paper mache out of White House toilet paper to board up the bathroom as I type.

Season 3 Youre Welcome GIF by Friends - Find & Share on GIPHYImage Enlarger

The Hole Got Fixed

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

7 November 2020
12.34pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3448sp_Permalink sp_Print

The irony is, for someone who criticised Obama so much for playing golf, Biden passed the winning line while Trump was playing golf at his Virginia golf course.

Wonder who got the job of telling him … and which bunker he’s buried in?

The Hole Got Fixed

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

7 November 2020
12.54pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3449sp_Permalink sp_Print

While i’m far from being a Biden supporter, even i’ll admit that there are some upsides to his presidency. For example, he’ll put us back in the Iran Deal and the Paris Climate Accord, 2 things Trump never should’ve backed out of. Also, there’s a good chance that neither Biden nor Kamala will be the nominee in 2024 if the left pushes hard enough for Andrew Yang, who will run in 2024.

But most importantly, don’t let the DNC push you into submission because “you should be thankful Trump’s out of office”. When Biden does something wrong, we should be just as critical of him as we are when Trump does something wrong.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

kelicopter

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

7 November 2020
1.11pm
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 913
3450sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
While i’m far from being a Biden supporter, even i’ll admit that there are some upsides to his presidency. For example, he’ll put us back in the Iran Deal and the Paris Climate Accord, 2 things Trump never should’ve backed out of. Also, there’s a good chance that neither Biden nor Kamala will be the nominee in 2024 if the left pushes hard enough for Andrew Yang, who will run in 2024.

But most importantly, don’t let the DNC push you into submission because “you should be thankful Trump’s out of office”. When Biden does something wrong, we should be just as critical of him as we are when Trump does something wrong.

All leaders should be held to account when they do something wrong. The best leaders acknowledge their mistakes and hopefully learn from them.

The following people thank Tony Japanese for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed
7 November 2020
1.21pm
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
3451sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said 

TL;DR if I were you guys I would spend less time talking about which politicians are to the left or right of other politicians and more assessing things like which groups are funding them, whose interests they are accountable to, and how they fit in with the historical political and economic context of both their own country and the international community more broadly. 

I get what you mean. It’s a lot easier for people to think along the lines of Obama = Good, Trump = Bad though isn’t it? 

The following people thank Tony Japanese for this post:

kelicopter
7 November 2020
6.55pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3452sp_Permalink sp_Print

Just before Joe Biden gives his first speech as President Elect, the White House has said:

The President will accept the result of a free and fair election.

You have to wonder if those closest to Trump, family and advisors, are telling him it’s over and that the lawsuits have no chance.

The Hole Got Fixed, Expert Textpert

8 November 2020
2.24am
Von Bontee
496 km NW of the '69 Toronto Rock n Roll Revival
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5457
3453sp_Permalink sp_Print

Gonna start his 2024 campaign and go right back to the rallies

Paul: Yeah well… first of all, we’re bringing out a ‘Stamp Out Detroit’ campaign.

8 November 2020
5.12am
Tony Japanese
Shea Stadium
Members
3454sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
Just before Joe Biden gives his first speech as President Elect, the White House has said:

You have to wonder if those closest to Trump, family and advisors, are telling him it’s over and that the lawsuits have no chance.

I’m not sure where that has come from (though I’m sure the quote is legitimate) but Donald Trump doesn’t look like he’s willing to concede just yet. He’s going to be dragged kicking and screaming at this rate.

8 November 2020
6.04am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3455sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said

Trump’s claiming it’s not free and fair which is why there are so many lawsuits flying out, tho many are being almost instantly dismissed. Will be surprised if he just concedes.

8 November 2020
6.35am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3456sp_Permalink sp_Print

The statement was made by White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany yesterday, after Biden had been declared President Elect, @Tony Japanese.

I don’t think it means he will be conceding any time soon. As I’ve already said, he set up his play well before the election, to throw up a question mark about postal votes. He’s the Grand Old Duke of New York, and he’s marched his troops halfway up the hill and can’t just march them down again.

I’m just suggesting that there’s maybe some growing acceptance among those around Trump that lawsuits and recounts will change nothing but they have to go through the motions just to keep the belief among his supporters that he’s somehow been unfairly robbed of a second term, and to give him a continued influence on the future path of the Republicans.

Tony Japanese, The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid

8 November 2020
7.42am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

I think Trump will come out with some nonsense about there being no point fighting a corrupt system where everyone is involved in cheating the good honest Americans who support him so why bother. He’ll then spend months shouting about how he was not beaten fairly and everyone is against him. I cannot see him holding up his hands saying he got beat even after all the lawsuits are finished with.

lovelyritametermaid

8 November 2020
8.18am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3458sp_Permalink sp_Print

???Trump is gone???

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

8 November 2020
8.18am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3459sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
???Trump is gone???

Damnit, this was supposed to post with crab emojis instead of question marks.

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, lovelyritametermaid

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

9 November 2020
6.38am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
3460sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

QuarryMan said

???Trump is gone???

Damnit, this was supposed to post with crab emojis instead of question marks.

Crab Rave | Crab Rave | Know Your MemeImage Enlarger

ahdn_john_08_gif

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

QuarryMan

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694