Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
1 September 2020
3.01pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4141
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3361sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said
I don’t think a leg shot is a bad idea. For one thing a leg shot if fatal if you get the upper leg. Also once they are leg shot, they can’t attack you very well.

They can still attack you if they have a gun. Legs would also be harder to hit. The whole point of shooting somebody should be to remove them as a threat. Not a good idea to try and hit something like an extremity when your life depends on it.

All living things must abide by the laws of the shape they inhabit 

1 September 2020
3.05pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3362sp_Permalink sp_Print

Little Piggy Dragonguy said

QuarryMan said

It’s possible to shoot someone and render them no longer a threat without shooting them seven times in the back. The officer could have shot Blake in the leg, for example. 

I don’t have anything to say about this particular situation, but if you really think your life is at risk (which is the only reason you should be shooting somebody), shooting somebody in the leg is a horrible idea. If you have to shoot somebody, you aim to kill. Have you heard of adrenaline? Shooting a person in the leg won’t always stop them from shooting you. Not only that, but shooting somebody in an extremity has the potential of hitting an artery, so there’s still a real possibility of killing them.

I feel like the argument that ‘the officer shot because they thought their life was in danger’, while certainly a valid point in some situations, often gets brought up uncritically in cases where it doesn’t really apply. In this case there were multiple armed officers surrounding the car that Blake was trying to get into who could have shot him in the case that he emerged from the car with a gun, and as RN has said the officer who chose to shoot could likely have pinned him instead.

On the second point, I completely disagree – if you’re in the situation that you have to shoot someone, you should always aim to neutralise them without killing them wherever possible. That might not always be possible, but if it were me I’d rather not have anybody die in these situations unless they absolutely had to to prevent them harming others. I’m not convinced by any arguments about adrenaline, either – as I said, Blake was surrounded by armed officers. If anyone should get the excuse of adrenaline, it should be Blake. 

Lastly, while there is the risk of hitting an artery if you shoot someone in the leg, surely it’s statistically much less likely to kill you than a shot to the chest/back/head? 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

1 September 2020
10.56pm
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3363sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

Little Piggy Dragonguy said
I don’t have anything to say about this particular situation, but if you really think your life is at risk (which is the only reason you should be shooting somebody), shooting somebody in the leg is a horrible idea. If you have to shoot somebody, you aim to kill. Have you heard of adrenaline? Shooting a person in the leg won’t always stop them from shooting you. Not only that, but shooting somebody in an extremity has the potential of hitting an artery, so there’s still a real possibility of killing them.

I feel like the argument that ‘the officer shot because they thought their life was in danger’, while certainly a valid point in some situations, often gets brought up uncritically in cases where it doesn’t really apply. 

I wasn’t talking about this case. 

On the second point, I completely disagree – if you’re in the situation that you have to shoot someone, you should always aim to neutralise them without killing them wherever possible. That might not always be possible, but if it were me I’d rather not have anybody die in these situations unless they absolutely had to to prevent them harming others. I’m not convinced by any arguments about adrenaline, either – as I said, Blake was surrounded by armed officers. If anyone should get the excuse of adrenaline, it should be Blake. Lastly, while there is the risk of hitting an artery if you shoot someone in the leg, surely it’s statistically much less likely to kill you than a shot to the chest/back/head?  

When I mentioned adrenaline, I was talking about how shooting somebody may not make them incapacitated. 

If your life is in such imminent danger that you need to shoot somebody, aiming for an extremity is a horrible idea. An extremity is obviously going to be much harder to accurately hit as not only is it smaller than a torso, but also moves much faster. Your options are shoot this person or die/become seriously injured, so why take a gamble and aim for their leg which may not incapacitate them and that you have a far greater chance of missing?

2 September 2020
7.27am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3364sp_Permalink sp_Print

For an avarage person probably but for an officer, they should be better trained for this then to go off by instinct. 

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

Jules

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

2 September 2020
6.56pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3365sp_Permalink sp_Print

BLM recently surrounded senator Rand Paul, the very person who’s trying to ban no knock warrants via the Justice Against Breonna Taylor Act, yelling at him and insisting that he says Breonna Taylor’s name.paul-mccartney-facepalm_gifpaul-mccartney-facepalm_gifpaul-mccartney-facepalm_gifpaul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

3 September 2020
10.28am
Little Piggy Dragonguy
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3366sp_Permalink sp_Print

Starr Shine? said
For an avarage person probably but for an officer, they should be better trained for this then to go off by instinct. 

If taking the chance of missing their leg or it not stopping the person is a good idea, then it’s probably not a situation where they should be shooting the person. 

2 October 2020
12.24am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3367sp_Permalink sp_Print

Donald Trump has confirmed that he and Melania have tested positive for COVID-19 and are in quarantine.

Trump.jpgImage Enlarger

They are both said to be well, according to the White House doctor, and the President will continue to work from quarantine. It has to put a massive spanner in his campaign plans though, with just five weeks to go to the election. His rally in Florida Friday night has already been cancelled.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan, Dark Overlord, CakeMaestor

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

2 October 2020
1.32am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
3368sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will be interesting to see what Trump says and does in relation to the virus after he gets thru this. Will also be interesting to see how Trump supporters will react as well. 

Obviously wish Melanie and him the best of health and a quick recovery, wouldn’t want anyone to get/have it. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Dark Overlord

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 October 2020
4.35pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3369sp_Permalink sp_Print

After saying Donald Trump was showing “mild symptoms” and was “fatigued but in good spirits” earlier in the day, the White House have announced he is being transferred to Walter Reed Hospital in Maryland, which throws up questions about how ill he is since the White House has a fully equipped and staffed medical centre.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

2 October 2020
5.42pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3370sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
After saying Donald Trump was showing “mild symptoms” and was “fatigued but in good spirits” earlier in the day, the White House have announced he is being transferred to Walter Reed Hospital in Maryland, which throws up questions about how ill he is since the White House has a fully equipped and staffed medical centre.

Due to how dishonest and misleading statements and claims have been at times from Trump and his team in the last four years, it’s very difficult now to believe anything that is said. It’s a sad position to be in with the POTUS but you cannot deceive people so often and not have the trust aspect disintegrate. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

2 October 2020
7.04pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3371sp_Permalink sp_Print

As much as i hate to say it, Trump at an increased risk of dying from the virus, mostly due to his age, but also possibly because of his health.

BTW, i’m glad to see how many people have put politics aside instead of celebrating his diagnosis. While i disagree on many of his policies, this is not how i want to see him go and it’s great to see how many people agree with me on that (although i really hope this shows him the dangers of COVID).

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Jules

2 October 2020
8.40pm
Jules
In your wildest dreams
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 690
3372sp_Permalink sp_Print

BTW, i’m glad to see how many people have put politics aside instead of celebrating his diagnosis. While i disagree on many of his policies, this is not how i want to see him go and it’s great to see how many people agree with me on that (although i really hope this shows him the dangers of COVID).

I agree, that’s a horrible way to go for anybody and I hope he gets through as well. Also appreciate the solidarity between parties considering how strong the disapproval of Trump is on the left/centre-left side.

(I wouldn’t be honest if I said I wouldn’t like for him to experience at least a bit the pain of the disease so maybe he’ll grow more empathetic to the subject in case he gets re-elected.

the watusi

the twist

3 October 2020
12.27am
CakeMaestor
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 767
3373sp_Permalink sp_Print

Perhaps the experience will humble him, and convince him to take action should he recover. Humility can go a long way.

The following people thank CakeMaestor for this post:

Jules

We do a little trolling

- Faul

3 October 2020
9.27am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members

Probably going to be in the minority on this one, but I’m not wasting my time worrying for the health of a neofascist whose incompetence in handling the virus has led to the deaths of over 200,000 people. I know it only took a few years for centrists to start rehabilitating and humanising the murderous war criminal Bush Jr, but I must say I really wasn’t expecting it to start happening again before Trump’s term is even over. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Jules

3 October 2020
9.50am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3375sp_Permalink sp_Print

None of us are praising Trump, we just don’t him to die of COVID.

Don’t get me wrong, Trump’s response to COVID was so bad that we would’ve been better off if Trump stayed completely silent and it would be extremely ironic if Trump died of the very disease he spent months downplaying but Trump’s still a person and i’d never wish death upon anyone, even someone as awful as Bush or Trump.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Jules

3 October 2020
11.12am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3376sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m not wishing death on Trump, I’m saying that it shouldn’t be him we’re concerned for, it should be for the millions of people who have been hurt because of his policies. 

3 October 2020
5.48pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3377sp_Permalink sp_Print

His team cannot even get their stories straight over when Trump was first diagnosed and the surrounding timeline or how well he is doing. Complete bunch of incompetents, including Trump himself.

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan, Dark Overlord

4 October 2020
9.55am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3378sp_Permalink sp_Print

If anyone deserved covid-19, it was probably him. Not wearing masks, holding large gatherings, encouraging others not to wear masks.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

QuarryMan, Dark Overlord

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

4 October 2020
5.29pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

The man really is a bread-dead, power-crazy ****. Trump’s meant to be isolating in hospital whilst recovering from a highly infectious deadly disease yet he goes on a short car journey to wave at his supporters. Never mind all those whose health has been risked for a short journey but what message is this sending out to all those who look on. Why should anyone follow the rules if the POTUS can do what the hell he likes. 

And no doubt his spokespeople will be out in a few hours defending his actions as if it doesn’t matter. One spokesperson has already been out saying that they didn’t tell us the full story over the use of oxygen as it might have made the patient feel bad, but ignore that, we are trying our best to give you the full picture as clearly as we can.

Who the hell can watch and read all this develop and still think Trump is the way to go for the US?

Dark Overlord, QuarryMan, The Hole Got Fixed

4 October 2020
6.23pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3380sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
The man really is a bread-dead, power-crazy ****. Trump’s meant to be isolating in hospital whilst recovering from a highly infectious deadly disease yet he goes on a short car journey to wave at his supporters. Never mind all those whose health has been risked for a short journey but what message is this sending out to all those who look on. Why should anyone follow the rules if the POTUS can do what the hell he likes.

Maybe Quarryman was right when he said that we shouldn’t feel sympathy for Trump. I assumed that Trump would take the virus seriously once he got it and realized how bad it truly was (especially for someone as old as him) but considering that he put members of his Secret Service at risk of getting the disease just to go for a drive makes me realize that i was wrong.

And no doubt his spokespeople will be out in a few hours defending his actions as if it doesn’t matter. One spokesperson has already been out saying that they didn’t tell us the full story over the use of oxygen as it might have made the patient feel bad, but ignore that, we are trying our best to give you the full picture as clearly as we can.

Partisan spokespeople will defend anything their team does. In fact, Republican senator Tom Cotton cheered Trump on a few months back in using the military domestically.

Who the hell can watch and read all this develop and still think Trump is the way to go for the US?

To be fair, the Democrats picked Joe Biden, a Blue Dog that’s only liked by about 10% of the population, with the rest only voting for him because he’s not Trump.

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694