Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
7 May 2020
9.18am
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3201sp_Permalink sp_Print

My wizard-friend and I routinely add extra letters such as extraneous E’s and -que’s and such to anything we can in our correspondence, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Fun fact: when I first learned to read I did more reading than hearing words and so I’d mispronounce things phonetically a lot, and I pronounced “antique” as “anty-queue” a-hard-days-night-john-6

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

7 May 2020
9.55am
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
3202sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
My wizard-friend and I routinely add extra letters such as extraneous E’s and -que’s and such to anything we can in our correspondence, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Fun fact: when I first learned to read I did more reading than hearing words and so I’d mispronounce things phonetically a lot, and I pronounced “antique” as “anty-queue” a-hard-days-night-john-6

Oh my gosh, I did the same thing! Though it still carries over and there’ll be times where I’ll speak a word aloud that I read a lot but don’t say and I’ll pronounce like how I pronounce it in my mind and people like to call me out on: “Don’t you mean [correct prononunciation]?” “Errr…..yes…” 

Most of the time I stress the wrong syllables but still 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

Beatlebug

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

7 May 2020
6.35pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24944
3203sp_Permalink sp_Print

I could not tell you who the Labour leader is as they are a complete irrelevance at the moment. Show me a picture of Keir Starmer and I would have had no idea he was or what he did. Truth be told I had completely forgotten they had changed leader and that I hadn’t heard anything about them for a good while. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 May 2020
5.29am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3752
3204sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
I could not tell you who the Labour leader is as they are a complete irrelevance at the moment. Show me a picture of Keir Starmer and I would have had no idea he was or what he did. Truth be told I had completely forgotten they had changed leader and that I hadn’t heard anything about them for a good while. 

Precisely what I’m getting at, he’s never going to be a successful opposition leader if all he does is humbly bow at Boris’ feet and not take the government to task for its ineptitude. 

To fill you in though, he’s an MP since 2015, who previously served as head of the Crown Prosecution Service from 2008 to 2014. Under Corbyn he served as shadow Brexit secretary, so he was responsible for the second referendum policy which did not turn out well for the party, so I’m hoping that doesn’t drag him down too much in support. 

“While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I’m a naysayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I’ll gladly take another - because I choose to live my life in the company of Ghandi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. I love you, Sheriff Truman.”

8 May 2020
6.16am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3205sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said

meanmistermustard said

Precisely what I’m getting at, he’s never going to be a successful opposition leader if all he does is humbly bow at Boris’ feet and not take the government to task for its ineptitude. 

To fill you in though, he’s an MP since 2015, who previously served as head of the Crown Prosecution Service from 2008 to 2014. Under Corbyn he served as shadow Brexit secretary, so he was responsible for the second referendum policy which did not turn out well for the party, so I’m hoping that doesn’t drag him down too much in support. 

Labour are currently an utter mess and their preferred approach seems to be to pin it all on Jeremy’s leadership and hope everyone is willing to move on without much of a second thought. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

8 May 2020
9.39am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3206sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, polling does show that the number one reason voters abandoned the party was Corbyn’s leadership… Number two of course being the party’s Brexit policy, but that’ll probably become less significant as time goes on. 

“While I will admit to a certain cynicism, the fact is that I’m a naysayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I’ll gladly take another - because I choose to live my life in the company of Ghandi and King. My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love. I love you, Sheriff Truman.”

29 May 2020
1.49pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18181
3207sp_Permalink sp_Print

Man, I’m not one to get emotional over news but this whole video really got to me…

I hope this guy gets so many donations he doesn’t know what to do with them all.

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

29 May 2020
2.08pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
3208sp_Permalink sp_Print

If only a cop didn’t murder someone, none of this would of happened.

The following people thank Starr Shine? for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan, The Hole Got Fixed, CakeMaestor, Beatlebug

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

29 May 2020
3.54pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
3209sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t get me wrong, what happened to that man was horrible and i hope all 4 cops (including the one who just stood there) get at least life without parole but destroying buildings does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help the cause. In fact, the right initially sided with the left on this but then changed their mind once they decided to throw a massive temper tantrum.

But that’s not to say that Trump’s decision to bring in the military was a good one. While i can’t blame him for doing so since it’s the same exact decision most people would’ve done, i think a better response would’ve been to try to have the governor negotiate with them. While the protesters may seem like barbarians hell bent on destroying the social order, i’m pretty sure they’d instantly calm down if they were allowed to meet with the governor to peacefully express their opinions and negotiate.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Beatlebug

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

29 May 2020
4.09pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3210sp_Permalink sp_Print

Now, have great sympathy for those whose livelihoods have been damaged in the rioting, such as that firefighter. Uprisings of this kind are undoubtedly horrible and destructive, and those whose lives have been damaged as a result deserve support and help. That being said, I find it particularly odious that this is the news story Tim Pool is choosing to cover, particularly after having made 20+ minute videos discussing how Ahmed Arbery – another black man whose murder was caught on camera – … entered a construction site… in what is, in my opinion, a very unsubtle way to justify his killing, or at least get people to overlook it. It’s the “well, the guy was no saint” thing that they pull out every time a black person gets murdered – they immediately jump to trawling through the victim’s personal victory in the hopes of finding some transgression, and then point this out as publicly as possible, as if trespassing on a construction site warrants a death sentence.

In George Floyd’s case, the heinous crime he committed that led to his death was… writing a forged cheque… which he didn’t actually do, the store worker made a mistake. Let’s not forget that George Floyd and the cop who killed him, who coincidentally murdered another black guy in 2006 and had 18 prior complaints of brutality against him, were ex-colleagues, which makes me wonder whether this was actually to some extent premeditated, and not just another psycho racist abusing their power. It’s absolutely sickening – for one, the fact that extrajudicial executions happen at all in a civilised country is mind boggling (if someone commits a crime, then they should GO ON TRIAL), and for people to bend over backwards to find a reason why it could be justified is even more so. Even if we assumed that every single one of the murdered were hardened, truly evil criminals, they should all still have had the rights to a fair trial just like anyone else. If a suspect has a history of offences etc in the past, then that stuff is important, but it should be important to a judge and a jury who can then decide a fair punishment following a fair trial! To me, even if it’s not outright stated that those behind such videos believe that these killings are justified (and even if they don’t believe that, or don’t realise they do), their real world impact is the normalisation of cruel and barbaric extrajudicial execution over fair trial and proportionate punishment, and furthermore the normalisation of the idea that having anything less than a perfect, spotless personal record means that if you happen to find yourself under a cop’s knee or in the path of a bullet, well, you’re not perfect either. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Dark Overlord, lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed, Little Piggy Dragonguy

29 May 2020
4.28pm
Pablo Ramon
Some Time in NYC
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 687

Dark Overlord said
Don’t get me wrong, what happened to that man was horrible and i hope all 4 cops (including the one who just stood there) get at least life without parole but destroying buildings does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to help the cause. In fact, the right initially sided with the left on this but then changed their mind once they decided to throw a massive temper tantrum.

Well, imagine seeing, over years and years and decades, people who look like you being killed by the people who are paid by your very own tax dollars to protect and serve all of us. Imagine seeing that over and over. Imagine how you’d feel to know that you could never trust a person in a police uniform not to arrest you, beat you or kill you for any or even no reason. 

On the other hand, it would not have escaped your notice that people with a different skin color from yours could literally storm the state capitol holding automatic weapons, screaming at cops…and be allowed to drive home to the suburbs in their SUVs.

Imagine feeling like any interaction you might have with a police officer could go sideways and result in your death. Imagine how frustrated you’d feel. You might realize that lighting an Arby’s (or a police precinct) on fire wouldn’t really change anything, but you might not care. You might just feel so angry and frustrated that for a little while you lost control and punched a wall. Or broke a window. Or lit a fire. 

The following people thank Pablo Ramon for this post:

QuarryMan, The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid
29 May 2020
4.51pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3212sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Pablo Ramon I’m not denying the oppression black people have to deal with on a daily basis but that’s no excuse to burn down random buildings. At least if they had done something like stormed the county jail and freed all the prisoners, they’d at least be targeting a place related to the murder but instead, they went after random businesses (including some owned by POC) that had absolutely nothing to do with the crime.

Beatlebug

29 May 2020
5.45pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3213sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope every sane person can agree that unprovoked, racist extrajudicial executions like the murder of George Floyd are disgusting and should never happen again. It’s obviously more complicated when it comes to uprisings like this in reaction. I think I’m probably an outlier in supporting the rioters; I would guess that most people’s take would be that they agree with my initial statement, but don’t think that extreme, violent reactions like these are a constructive response. This is agreeable on the surface, but it presupposes that there are other effective avenues of achieving change which do not require such extremity, an idea which seems to me to be disproven by the fact that people have tried to resolve these issues for years through such avenues, but these murders keep happening anyway. If it were simply a matter of simply peacefully negotiating with governors and politicians, then wouldn’t it have happened already by now? 

That’s not to say that my position is perfect, either – while uprisings like these may be effective in garnering attention and forcing those in power to act through sheer pressure, the price of this is the obvious suffering and destruction. This is a valid point, but I would defend my position by arguing that rioting isn’t supposed to be nice or fun or safe. Fundamentally, it’s the expression of frustrated, desperate people. If it were those things, then it wouldn’t be effective. That doesn’t mean we have to like it, but sometimes we have to pay the price for a better world, and that means choosing justice over order, even if it hurts to do so. In my opinion, if what is happening in Minneapolis right now means that future generations of black citizens do not have to live in fear, then it will have been worthwhile. Let Minneapolis be to racial justice what the Boston Tea Party was to American independence – a moment of destructive yet just direct action that marks a turning point towards a fairer future.

The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid, Ahhh Girl

29 May 2020
6.15pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3214sp_Permalink sp_Print

But i don’t get why these people are going for random businesses that have absolutely nothing to do with the murder. All it does is give white supremacists and people who believe the police can do no harm a leg to stand on.

29 May 2020
6.43pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3215sp_Permalink sp_Print

You’re acting as if the purpose of the riots is purely retribution, it’s not. The main purpose of the rioting is to express rage and frustration to such a degree that the powers that be can’t ignore it any longer. I’m sorry, to me what you’re saying is that black people should only be allowed to protest racism in an ineffective way that the system only tolerates precisely because it doesn’t pose a real threat, because otherwise they’ll encourage more racism. If the options are either an end to institutional racism albeit with an increase in the racism (that would be there anyway) outside of those institutions or the opposite, I would go with the former option any day. 

lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed

29 May 2020
6.48pm
Pablo Ramon
Some Time in NYC
Hollywood Bowl
Members
Forum Posts: 687
3216sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
@Pablo Ramon I’m not denying the oppression black people have to deal with on a daily basis but that’s no excuse to burn down random buildings. At least if they had done something like stormed the county jail and freed all the prisoners, they’d at least be targeting a place related to the murder but instead, they went after random businesses (including some owned by POC) that had absolutely nothing to do with the crime.

My point was to try to get you to put yourself in their shoes. It’s not really intended as a rational political statement. It’s not designed to communicate something nicely to the world or even reflect a carefully constructed thought. It’s just rage spilling out. I appreciate that you’re aware of the oppression. Empathizing is different from understanding. Put yourself in their actual shoes…

The following people thank Pablo Ramon for this post:

lovelyritametermaid
29 May 2020
8.53pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
3217sp_Permalink sp_Print

QuarryMan said
You’re acting as if the purpose of the riots is purely retribution, it’s not. The main purpose of the rioting is to express rage and frustration to such a degree that the powers that be can’t ignore it any longer.

Thanks for pointing that out but as nice as it would be, the idea that people will react so violently that the RNC/DNC will give in to their wishes is extremely naive and even if it did happen, you still have all these broken buildings to deal with and while i have little sympathy for big corporations, any local business that was raided will suffer so massively that it might have to shut down permanently.

In a perfect world, those who participated in the riots would fix everything in lieu of prison but the rioters would likely argue that they shouldn’t be punished for fighting racism, meaning that the government would have to shell out tons of money to fix everything up. 

I’m sorry, to me what you’re saying is that black people should only be allowed to protest racism in an ineffective way that the system only tolerates precisely because it doesn’t pose a real threat, because otherwise they’ll encourage more racism. If the options are either an end to institutional racism albeit with an increase in the racism (that would be there anyway) outside of those institutions or the opposite, I would go with the former option any day.

But non-violent protests did great for Martin Luther King Jr. back in the 1960’s and more recently, the LGBT+ community. Sure, it may be tempting to lash out your frustrations by looting Target and burning AutoZone to the ground in hopes that the RNC/DNC will cave in out of fear but you don’t need destruction to cause change, you just need massive crowds of people and a good message to spread across the world.

Pablo Ramon said
My point was to try to get you to put yourself in their shoes. It’s not really intended as a rational political statement. It’s not designed to communicate something nicely to the world or even reflect a carefully constructed thought. It’s just rage spilling out. I appreciate that you’re aware of the oppression. Empathizing is different from understanding. Put yourself in their actual shoes…

While i’ll admit that i’m a white man, meaning that i’ll never know what it means to be black, i don’t think i’d approve of the riots even if i were black. I think the theatrical ending to Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes sums it up perfectly.

Beatlebug, Beatlebug

29 May 2020
9.44pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
3218sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

QuarryMan said

You’re acting as if the purpose of the riots is purely retribution, it’s not. The main purpose of the rioting is to express rage and frustration to such a degree that the powers that be can’t ignore it any longer.

Thanks for pointing that out but as nice as it would be, the idea that people will react so violently that the RNC/DNC will give in to their wishes is extremely naive and even if it did happen, you still have all these broken buildings to deal with and while i have little sympathy for big corporations, any local business that was raided will suffer so massively that it might have to shut down permanently.

In a perfect world, those who participated in the riots would fix everything in lieu of prison but the rioters would likely argue that they shouldn’t be punished for fighting racism, meaning that the government would have to shell out tons of money to fix everything up. 

I’m sorry, to me what you’re saying is that black people should only be allowed to protest racism in an ineffective way that the system only tolerates precisely because it doesn’t pose a real threat, because otherwise they’ll encourage more racism. If the options are either an end to institutional racism albeit with an increase in the racism (that would be there anyway) outside of those institutions or the opposite, I would go with the former option any day.

But non-violent protests did great for Martin Luther King Jr. back in the 1960’s and more recently, the LGBT+ community. Sure, it may be tempting to lash out your frustrations by looting Target and burning AutoZone to the ground in hopes that the RNC/DNC will cave in out of fear but you don’t need destruction to cause change, you just need massive crowds of people and a good message to spread across the world.

Pablo Ramon said

While i’ll admit that i’m a white man, meaning that i’ll never know what it means to be black, i don’t think i’d approve of the riots even if i were black. I think the theatrical ending to Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes sums it up perfectly.

I would like to note that people have been peacefully protesting against police brutality for literal fecking years. It’s not like people are lashing out b/c it’s the first case ever of this happening. They have been peacefully protesting and pleading governments to put an end to police brutality against black folk and other POCs for a very long time before this. How fecking frustrated would you be if you kept asking civilly for something over and over and over again for years and years  and all you got back was empty promises and/or nothing at all? And each year you watch more persons of your skin color die at the hands of racist police officers, and the people that could actually do something about this just sit back, watch, and don’t lift a finger to help? I don’t support needless violence, but at the same time I see why they are so goddamn pissed and why they felt the need to enact these riots- because after years of being civil and peaceful nothing has ever changed. 

So, yes peaceful protesting would be preferable– but it hasn’t worked after hundreds of attempts, so where does that leave them? It’s like the labor movements during the late 19th century in America, where the only time legislators and companies were willing to recognize the workers and their unions and cooperate with them was only after all the violent strikes and riots. Protesters for this cause right now are finally saying “enough is enough– if you won’t listen to our words, if you won’t recognize our nonviolent actions, then more drastic measures have to be taken in order for our cause to finally be heeded and for things to actually change.”

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

30 May 2020
12.35am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Horrify, disgusting, sickening and happening too often. Sadly, I think the officers will get off with less serious charges than murder, as is often the case.

I tried to watch the video and couldn’t as watching a human kill a human is beyond my capabilities, throw in that it was a police officer assigned to serve and protect the community and all the history of race issues involving police and the black community and it’s not at all surprising that there are riots when so little justice is seen to be carried out or change occurs. I can’t blame them for rioting as what else can they do to show their anger when similar incidences have resulted in little change or justice as what other option is there? A peaceful rally and chat? No one in authority is seen to be listening. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

30 May 2020
4.11am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3220sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

It’s still very much up in the air what happens, I’m hoping that the state crackdown won’t be too harsh. I don’t think Trump will budge, but I hope that governors and mayors will take action to rein in cops by enforcing stronger rules for police officers, such as making sure they are prosecuted, and having automatic independent investigations into any instances of extrajudicial killing that happen during an arrest, with it being made clear to officers that they will be prosecuted for second degree murder if this happens again. 

Sure, and non violent protests are preferable, but that doesn’t mean that violent protests haven’t also played an important part in the history of these movements. For example, the modern gay rights movement started as a riot, with Stonewall in 1969. Violent protest has played a huge role in Civil Rights, women’s suffrage, LGBT+ acceptance, worker’s rights like the weekend and the 40 hour work week. Would those movements have seen as much success if they’d been entirely non violent? I’m doubtful.

Here’s Cornel West speaking truth to power as usual on CNN last night.

lovelyritametermaid

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5508
Newest Members:
jsullivan2112_1, catadorademusica, Slowhand, mirrortime, Julie
Moderators: Joe: 5690, meanmistermustard: 24944, Ahhh Girl: 22198, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5690