Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
13 March 2020
5.22pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
3041sp_Permalink sp_Print

Play using the euro 2020 dates if postponed makes the most sense, if able to do so. Depends on how long this lasts for. 

its good it’s all getting stopped. Weird tho. 

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 March 2020
5.54pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
3042sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s being reported by many that emergency legislation will be brought forward in the UK next week to ban mass gatherings of above 500 people from next weekend. It will close down much live music and theatre. Sport has already preempted the decision and has shut down.

Given Boris was saying just yesterday that was something for much later in the cycle, could be it comes into effect as soon as it can be passed.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 March 2020
6.28pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
3043sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m in a place where I just want everything shut down and that everything stops except essential until it’s done. Tons of complications and consequences with that but I’d rather it was a matter of being in that position and getting on with it and take the hardships for however they last and how hard they hit, than where we are now. I find where we are stressful and I hate all the uncertainty of do I have it, does he/she/they, will I get it, how do I know, do I have it now and therefore should be in isolation, if I’m not should I be, am I putting everyone else at risk – and that’s not good for my health. I hate uncertainty and find it difficult to manage. And it’s not like I can escape, come back to my house and stay inside for 3 or 4 months. I work in social care with vulnerable adults yet I am vulnerable due to underlying serious health issues, we were already struggling with shifts due to whatever reasons, so saying “nope, I’m not coming in” isn’t feasible.

Thankfully I have savings and therefore if I live quietly and sensibly, and there will be no option as there is nowhere to go, nothing to do, that worry is gone. There are folk who are not tho and that’s a horrible thought. No idea how I would cope with that.

So there’s a far more open post than all the dry humour glibness posted more often by me. I’m tired. Long day.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 March 2020
8.41pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
3044sp_Permalink sp_Print

Well, my university has closed down classes, so I’m back home now and isolating myself as far as possible. Nobody at my university has the virus that we’re aware of, but since I have asthma I’m especially paranoid about it. Hope everybody’s safe and well!

Some good news, though: a team of Canadian scientists has successfully isolated the virus, so hopefully progress on a vaccine will be underway soon. In these scary times, let’s all appreciate our wonderful doctors, nurses and other health professionals who risk so much to keep us healthy heartjohn-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, WeepingAtlasCedars, meanmistermustard, lovelyritametermaid

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

13 March 2020
9.12pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182

QuarryMan said
[snip]since I have asthma I’m especially paranoid about it [snip]

Yeah, two of my best friends have type 1 diabetes so I’m concerned for them. a-hard-days-night-paul-7

Also YAY CANADA let’s hope for a vaccine sooooon a-hard-days-night-ringo-15

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

WeepingAtlasCedars, lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

14 March 2020
3.25am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
3046sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m sad for the students that I’m currently helping with their Leaving Cert (our end-of-school exam). They’re meant to have orals in two weeks and I’m helping them with that but I don’t know if they’re even going to be held. There’s even the potential that they just never get to do an oral exam and instead only have a written but I don’t even know how they’re going to facilitate that! They have to sit exams in June so there’s enough time to correct them by August with a September start in university if they get in/that’s what they want to but now that’s all up in the air. At least with me, I can write essays and submit them, no big problem but these are state exams and won’t be able to facilitate something like that.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

14 March 2020
11.39am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

Trump looks like sh*t in his recent speech and it’s like he’s really lethargic. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s ill and hiding it. 

Also Ireland and the UK to be included in his European travel ban. His love for Boris didn’t last long.

The pricks who selfishly went to Cheltenham are coming back today. You just know some of them are going to go straight to the pubs this evening with their winnings, boasting about how well they did. 

I would not mind rounding them up and putting them on a farm in the middle of nowhere for 2 weeks. Enjoy yourselves, lads x.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

14 March 2020
1.37pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
3048sp_Permalink sp_Print

Welp coronavirus is in my city….. 

UPDATE 2 p.m.:There are 2 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Allegheny County, officials announced Saturday afternoon. Both are adults, one is in their 70s, one is in their 60s. Neither of them required hospitalization and are in isolation at home.

Both of them are residents of the City of Pittsburgh and live in the same household. It’s believed they acquired the virus during out of state travel.

The Allegheny County Health Department has started a contact investigation and will follow up with people who have had close contacts with the two known cases and will enforce quarantine measures.

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

QuarryMan, Beatlebug

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

14 March 2020
1.42pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3049sp_Permalink sp_Print

Stay safe, LRMM! a-hard-days-night-ringo-8a-hard-days-night-ringo-8

I suppose it was kind of ridiculous for Trump not to have included the UK in his travel ban to begin with, so I’m not really bothered now that he’s reversing it. I just worry that some lovely American students I’ve met at university now aren’t going to be able to get home; an Italian student I’m friends with is stuck unable to go home and see his family, which is very sad. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Beatlebug

14 March 2020
7.28pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3050sp_Permalink sp_Print

Nearly 250 leading UK scientists have published an open letter criticising the UK Government’s response to coronavirus and questioning the scientific logic behind it.

The World Health Organisation has also, unusually, expressed its doubts about our approach.

My own opinion? I think we should shut down. I think it’s ridiculous that so far we’re doing little to nothing.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug, The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

14 March 2020
7.36pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

AppleScruffJunior said
Trump looks like sh*t in his recent speech and it’s like he’s really lethargic. Wouldn’t surprise me if he’s ill and hiding it. 

Trump’s probably been awake for days stressing out over all of this. If he were showing symptoms, at his age, I expect it would have him flat on his back — no hiding of symptoms possible.

Stay home and stay safe, everyone. john-lennon-salute_gif

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

14 March 2020
7.47pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3052sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8I agree, he’s never been the healthiest and he’s in his seventies, if he did have the virus he’d either be unfit for public speaking, or coughing a great deal when he does speak.

I’m not sure about the UK approach to the virus. The logic behind it seems to be sound, but I worry that it’s risking the lives of many of our elderly. 

14 March 2020
7.52pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

^Update: I just heard he’s been tested and the test came back negative. He’s apparently one of those people who doesn’t need a lot of sleep (I’m so jelly a-hard-days-night-paul-3) but even those people need some sleep. That having been said, as a head of state, one’s duties come first… mccartney-shrug_01_gif

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

15 March 2020
12.35am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Beatlebug said
^Update: I just heard he’s been tested and the test came back negative.

Yep, folks, it’s official: President Trump’s inept handling of, and response to, the coronavirus crisis has not been caused by him having it; it has, instead, been solely down to him being President Trump.

Boris Johnson has had the same problem, that he’s Boris Johnson, with his responses so far.

Dingle Lad, AppleScruffJunior, QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

15 March 2020
4.45pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
3055sp_Permalink sp_Print

State of emergency was just called in my state of Victoria… It will last for 4 weeks, and is likely to be extended.

Things are getting serious by the day.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

15 March 2020
5.43pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Folk are going to have to accept everything will need to shut down and it will be to stay at home unless essential, and that doesn’t include it’s ok to head out if you’re bored and fancy a pint or snickers. All the morons ignoring government advice need a really large smack around the head. 

What’s troubling is the UK is being left behind in their actions and other countries in how they handle it. It looks like it’s being left to the separate nations to step in and lay down laws and restrictions whilst Boris and his cronies sit around wondering when it’s best to act as they don’t want to get the timing wrong. 

I’ll have to go out on Thursday and gets meds but, aside from that, I will either be at home or at work for the next few months and at some point, I think I’ll have to stop going to work. Home deliveries and sitting in my garden if the weather allows is my spring and summer. 

Accept your life plans are over for a few months, bigger things are going on.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

15 March 2020
7.05pm
Timothy
Nutopia
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 2145

QuarryMan said
a-hard-days-night-ringo-8I agree, he’s never been the healthiest and he’s in his seventies, if he did have the virus he’d either be unfit for public speaking, or coughing a great deal when he does speak.

I’m not sure about the UK approach to the virus. The logic behind it seems to be sound, but I worry that it’s risking the lives of many of our elderly. 

Boris’s handling of this has been absolutely awful. He should have closed the border long ago, and he still won’t do it. Encouraging ‘herd immunity’ without a vaccine? Trump at least stopped China flights early on, stopped Europe travel, stopped UK travel and declared a state of emergency. Biden is against flight closures. I find that insane.

1.The Beatles 2.Sgt. Pepper 3.Abbey Road 4.Magical Mystery Tour 5.Rubber Soul 6.Revolver 7.Help! 8.Let It Be
9.A Hard Day’s Night 10.Please Please Me 11.Beatles For Sale 12.With The Beatles 13.Yellow Submarine

Most Avid John Fan 2020 and 2021: john.png john.png

15 March 2020
11.00pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
3058sp_Permalink sp_Print

Both New York and Los Angeles are closing bars and restaurants (except for delivery). Cinemas in Los Angeles are being closed down. That’s a sign of the times, the cinemas closing in Hollywood.

@Timothy said
Trump at least stopped China flights early on, stopped Europe travel, stopped UK travel and declared a state of emergency. Biden is against flight closures. I find that insane.

There’s actually a logical argument that can be made that banning flights now will make little difference. Once it is in the country and spreading person to person you’re not actually keeping anything out. It is movement and gatherings within the country that need controlling once you’ve moved to community-acquired infections. Allowing entry and telling people they need to self-isolate for a period on entry wouldn’t make a difference.

Banning entry now is the equivalent of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Richard, lovelyritametermaid

16 March 2020
5.17am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
3059sp_Permalink sp_Print

Something non-coronavirus related: some of you may remember ‘egg-boy’, who egges controversial senator Fraser Anning, from a state I’d love to disown, Queensland, after his comments on Muslims following the Christchurch massacre.

Well, karma always rears its head: exactly one year later, he has been declared bankrupt

Maybe there is a god after all…beatlemaniacs_02_gifbeatlemaniacs_02_gif

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

QuarryMan

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

16 March 2020
10.08am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
3060sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-8To clarify Holey’s post, it’s the Senator who has gone bankrupt, not Egg-Boy. Goo goo g’joob. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694