Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
8 February 2020
6.17am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2881sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would need to look more into it, but it sounds like an interesting idea. In any case, I think voting districts should definitely be independent from any partisan control. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

8 February 2020
6.55am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2882sp_Permalink sp_Print

While random districts is better than what we’ve currently got, i think the best solution is to just abolish the electoral college entirely and make every vote count.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

50yearslate

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

8 February 2020
8.28am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2883sp_Permalink sp_Print

This is for congress. E.C would have no impact. GG

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

9 February 2020
10.31pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
2884sp_Permalink sp_Print

^^^Completely agree. Gerrymandering is ridiculous and everything would be so much fairer if the districts were randomized and untouched by the greasy hands of politicians moving lines around specifically to encapsulate their target demographic and exclude other groups that may prove a threat to their election. 

The following people thank lovelyritametermaid for this post:

QuarryMan

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

10 February 2020
2.22pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2885sp_Permalink sp_Print

Unrelated to congress but yes let’s abolish the Electoral College because all six of the people in Montana have a greater influence on the vote than anyone in my state

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

10 February 2020
3.31pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

In political news that will interest maybe the Brits if that but you other non-British or Irish users should also know because yay world politics.

Ireland had a weird general election on Saturday. With 151 of the 160 seats available for TDs (our MPs) now taken, the republican party Sinn Féin has managed to show the middle finger to both our two ‘regular’ leading parties Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael. They were running 42 candidates and managed to get 37 seats (so far), bloody incredible odds. To get a majority government they would have needed 80 candidates so they’re nowhere near that and will have to be propped up by either one of the two big boys, FF or FG or the smaller parties (People Before Profit, Green, Labour, Social Democrats and a good chunk of Independents). 

Problem is SF don’t really want to join-up with FF or FG. FF had originally said they will not go into government with SF but since Sunday have expressed interest in partnering up. FG has said they might go into government with SF. 

My main assumption and what I’m gathering from online commentary is they voted SF because FF and FG have practically ran the country for the entirety of its history either as the majority government or in a coalition with another party. We’re experiencing both a health and housing crisis at the moment, which our country has always been a shamble when it comes to health but FF started the housing crisis by selling off social housing and not building more housing when the country was rolling joyfully in billions of euro and FG have exacerbated the problem by still not building social housing even though the country is on steadier feet now than it was when FF were thrown out of government. However, all you have to do is simply look at Northern Ireland to see what a crap party SF are but hey I guess we’ll have to learn from our own mistakes won’t we?

We’ll just ignore the fact that both past and current members of Sinn Féin probably/most definitely know where bodies of murdered victims of the IRA are buried but refuse to tell their grieving families or the fact that their beloved IRA tortured a man to death in 2007, long after the Good Friday Agreement or that members of SF literally have to pledge an oath that they will listen to their “high counsel” when they join the party. Hmmmmm I wonder who is on this counsel. Also, one of the reelected SF TDs, David Cullinane said in his reelection speech “Up the Republic, up the ‘RA, Tiocfaidh ár lá” (IRA catchphrase for ‘Our day will come’). Ah yes, I too love organisations who killed approximately 1800 people over 25 years, including circa 600 civilians. Up the ‘RA indeed.

I am not a fan of either FF or FG. I’ve said before that FF is one of the most corrupt shower of c—s to ever come out of a ‘rich’ western country, FG roll over and do nothing bar ride on the success of bringing in abortions and same-sex marriage which would have passed anyways no matter what party was reigning but I hate SF with a passion. Literal scum of the earth and I cannot understand how people (it’s mostly young people who voted them in) would think that with their very dubious history, they would be in any way good for the country (particularly with our relations with the UK at this perilous time).

I look forward to hearing about reunification referendums in the new few weeks/months. I don’t want the country to be reunited because NI is a limp fish, socially and economically-repressed mess of a country and I want to thank GB for paying for that drain but Lord knows the loons on this side of the border will be cheering for “26+6=1” and playing ‘Come Out You Black and Tans’, while making jokey IRA memes (whoever did Gerry Adams brand management is incredible, they turned him from a ‘terrorist’ to ‘granddad Gerry’ in a few years, very impressive spin doctoring going on there).

In slightly more historically impressive news, this could mean we will get our first ever female Taoiseach (our Prime Minister) in the form of SF’s leader Mary-Lou McDonald. I was hoping I would be the first one but I don’t know if I could juggle being both the first Irish astronaut and the first female Taoiseach a-hard-days-night-paul-10.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, sigh butterfly

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

10 February 2020
5.03pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22221
2887sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Wait , I thought it was HoleyScruff 2020 time in the USA! You taking my candidates away from me? a-hard-days-night-george-10

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

AppleScruffJunior, The Hole Got Fixed, The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan
10 February 2020
5.06pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2888sp_Permalink sp_Print

I will happily do POTUS first, AG <3 . I will be the most overly-qualified Taoiseach Ireland will ever have and I’m sure during my 8 years that NASA will let me practice at their training facilities. Two birds, one stone and all that. 

My forged birth certs for 2020 are coming along nicely, I got them from the same guy who did Obama’s, he’s a real pro!

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Ahhh Girl, The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan, Beatlebug

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

11 February 2020
9.50pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2889sp_Permalink sp_Print

https://www.washingtonpost.com…..story.html

Sadly, Andrew Yang has dropped out of the presidential elections. I really like Yang because he’s young, libertarian, and wants to hand out free money. Fortunately, we still have Bernie but he’s almost 80 years old and recently had a heart attack, which means that he has a good chance of dying in office.

lovelyritametermaid

12 February 2020
4.22am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
2890sp_Permalink sp_Print

Sad to hear about Yang dropping out. He’s a great, honest guy, and his policy proposals are always interesting, forward-thinking and innovative. I don’t think 2020 is his time, though – he’ll be back at some point in the future.

Great night for us Bernard Brethren, I’m just hoping Klobuchar and Buttigieg both stay in the race long enough so that their support doesn’t go to the other before Bernie has enough delegates to get a good shot at the nomination. 

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

13 February 2020
6.26am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2891sp_Permalink sp_Print

https://loudwire.com/queen-bri…..ers-phone/

Queen guitarist Brian May was provoked into briefly taking an Australian reporter’s phone after the reporter repeatedly refused to stop filming him.

lovelyritametermaid

13 February 2020
6.51am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24963
2892sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said
https://loudwire.com/queen-bri…..ers-phone/

Queen guitarist Brian May was provoked into briefly taking an Australian reporter’s phone after the reporter repeatedly refused to stop filming him.

I’d have had no issue if he had slapped the reporter who should have stopped being an arse and complied when asked to quit filming. Sadly the TV company got what they wanted out of it. 

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 February 2020
7.49am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2893sp_Permalink sp_Print

As part of a Government Cabinet reshuffle by Boris Johnson today, his Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Finance Minister, #2 position in the hierarchy of government positions, Sajid Javid has resigned following a power-grab by No. 10. He was told to sack all his political advisers and agree to a level of No. 10 oversight of Treasury decisions there has never been. It was an attempt to leave him in office but powerless. Javid told him, not necessarily in these terms, to feck off and walked.

So, we know the new Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, just nine months ago a junior minister, now sitting in the second most powerful seat in Government, has no power at all and is a glove puppet with the hand of Boris firmly in place.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

13 February 2020
8.58am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2894sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
As part of a Government Cabinet reshuffle by Boris Johnson today, his Chancellor of the Exchequer, the Finance Minister, #2 position in the hierarchy of government positions, Sajid Javid has resigned following a power-grab by No. 10. He was told to sack all his political advisers and agree to a level of No. 10 oversight of Treasury decisions there has never been. It was an attempt to leave him in office but powerless. Javid told him, not necessarily in these terms, to feck off and walked.

So, we know the new Chancellor, Rishi Sunak, just nine months ago a junior minister, now sitting in the second most powerful seat in Government, has no power at all and is a glove puppet with the hand of Boris firmly in place.

It sounds like Boris has gotten rid of anyone who had previously spoken out against him or something he disliked (one minister who’s gone having previously said no deal would be abysmal for Northern Ireland – obviously need someone in who will say no deal is brilliant and we all be much richer and freer). Maybe I’m wrong, I’ve lost caring. I think it will be similar to Trump where everything Boris does is utterly brilliant, anything contrary to what he thinks or is doing is fake, and anyone who dares challenge or speaks out will be met with attempts to silence or ban.

lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

13 February 2020
3.51pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
2895sp_Permalink sp_Print

In sporting news, Fallon Sherrock is the first woman to play in the PDC Darts Premier League (having been the first woman to win matches at the World Championships) and she has drawn with Glen Durrant 6-6.

24 February 2020
1.53pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Harvey Weinstein, that disgusting sack of shit and sexual abuser, while acquitted of the more serious charges he faced in New York (two counts of predatory sexual assault, which could have seen him face life behind bars, and a charge of a first-degree rape), has been found GUILTY OF THIRD-DEGREE RAPE AND FIRST-DEGREE CRIMINAL SEXUAL ACT. The CONVICTED RAPIST is now behind bars, where he belongs, awaiting sentencing on 11 March, when he faces 25 years.

He still has a charge of rape and sexual assault to face in Los Angeles, with other cases there still under review, so could face more charges there.

What really appals me about the American system is that so many States (21 + Washington DC) have a statute of limitations on serious sexual offences – including rape – which range from just three years in Minnesota up to 20 years in Ohio, with the majority of those States (17) having a statute of limitations of ten years or less. California has a 10-year statute of limitations. Imagine the case he would face there were it not for that.

Were I an American, especially an American female, I would be demanding that those States that still have a statute of limitations for serious sexual crimes abolish them.

Still, today was a good day for justice, with the serial sexual abuser and rapist now behind bars.

excited-minions.gifImage Enlarger

Here’s hoping you enjoy your new life, Harvey, you disgusting pervert.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, QuarryMan, Sky999, ScarlettFieldsForever, Getbackintheussr, The Hole Got Fixed

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

24 February 2020
7.25pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2897sp_Permalink sp_Print

While i typically like the statute of limitations, only giving a rape victim 3 years to press charges is ridiculous, especially considering that a minor may be unaware or unable to press charges within the alloted time.

In other news, Jordan Peterson had been having some serious trouble with a benzo addiction, causing him to almost die in a Russian hospital. Fortunately, he seems to be recovering but is still unable to type or walk unassisted.

https://hotair.com/archives/jo…..-hospital/

While i don’t agree with everything he says, i wish the best for him and it was also quite depressing to see how little compassion the left showed towards him.

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid

24 February 2020
7.51pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2898sp_Permalink sp_Print

Myself, I don’t like there being any statute of limitation on serious crime, @Dark Overlord, especially not sexual crimes — considering those statutes have usually been put — and kept — in place by predominately male State legislators on crimes men are the majority perpetrators of. It’s like men offering other men a “Get Out of Jail Free” card if they can avoid getting caught for long enough.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Sky999

24 February 2020
8.14pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2899sp_Permalink sp_Print

While i see where you’re coming from, i don’t see it that way. If someone raped someone back in the 80’s, they’d most likely have changed quite a bit as a person and wouldn’t do it in the present day so prosecuting them would serve no purpose other than punishment and while it might seem fulfilling to do so, it is very important to let go of our hate and instead use our prisons for rehabilitation or a place for the uncurable to be kept from hurting themselves and or others.

25 February 2020
2.22am
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Dark Overlord said
While i see where you’re coming from, i don’t see it that way. If someone raped someone back in the 80’s, they’d most likely have changed quite a bit as a person and wouldn’t do it in the present day so prosecuting them would serve no purpose other than punishment and while it might seem fulfilling to do so, it is very important to let go of our hate and instead use our prisons for rehabilitation or a place for the uncurable to be kept from hurting themselves and or others.

Nonsense. If a serious crime is committed then there should be a consequence, not being caught for decades and time passing by is not a fitting consequence. Let’s also not forget that for Weinstein time had gone by mainly because of his position and influence in and thru-out the movie industry, not just Hollywood. The victims were unable for decades to speak out, seek justice or believe for a shred of a second that they would not only be believed but not be vilified by Weinstein and have their lives ruined even more so than already. In no way should that count in some perverse way in Weinstein’s favour (or any other offender)

Your focus seems to be on the perpetrator not on the victim who for decades has to live with the rape since the second it started. 3, 5 10 or 20 years on does not mean the effects of the rape is diminished, time does not heal all wounds or somehow make it better or easier to live.

The Hole Got Fixed

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online: vonbontee, Richard
Guest(s) 1
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5518
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24963, Ahhh Girl: 22221, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694