Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
28 January 2020
9.00pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2841sp_Permalink sp_Print

Brexit isn’t over. They have just finally started to begin Brexit. As I understand it, the UK will still operate under EU rules until new trade negotiations are implemented. The aim is to have the deals in place by December 31st.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

QuarryMan
28 January 2020
9.22pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2842sp_Permalink sp_Print

We leave the European Union at 11pm (UK time, midnight European time) on Friday – 31 January. We then enter a transition period lasting until 31 December 2020, during which we will continue to follow European rules but will be free to start negotiating trade deals. Whether we have managed to negotiate a trade deal with Europe or not by the end of the year, which most commentators think is a very ambitious target, the transition period will most likely end as Prime Minister Johnson has had it written into law that the transition period cannot be extended (though should he decide an extension is necessary he’d have little trouble revoking the law.

In that way, we still face a no-deal exit, just not at the point of leaving but, instead, at the end of the transition period on 31 December.

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug, QuarryMan, Ahhh Girl, lovelyritametermaid

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

29 January 2020
4.21am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
2843sp_Permalink sp_Print

It’s kind of strange that after all the hullabaloo about Brexit for almost four years now, now it’s actually happening it seems to have entirely dropped out of the news, and I barely hear anyone talking about it.

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Ahhh Girl, Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

29 January 2020
9.10am
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2844sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
It’s about fecking time.

I don’t care if you support Brexit or not. The results of a democratic vote must be implemented, and they dragged it out far too long.

I agree. Four years is fecking ridiculous. 

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Beatlebug, lovelyritametermaid

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

29 January 2020
8.06pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

The scene in the European Parliament as they ratified the UK Withdrawal Agreement today in time for Friday’s departure…

a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Soon we start to learn what being on the outside means, and I’ve little doubt we will rejoin within a decade or so (just not with all the preferential terms we had managed to gain for ourselves, like the budget rebate, during our current period of membership.

QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

30 January 2020
1.43am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2846sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ron Nasty said
The scene in the European Parliament as they ratified the UK Withdrawal Agreement today in time for Friday’s departure…

a-hard-days-night-paul-10

Soon we start to learn what being on the outside means, and I’ve little doubt we will rejoin within a decade or so (just not with all the preferential terms we had managed to gain for ourselves, like the budget rebate, during our current period of membership.

Wow. Moving stuff.

Good luck all Britons – you will almost certainly need it.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

30 January 2020
4.51am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24950

Hopefully Scotland will have left the UK before England decide they need to return the EU, at which point we’ll be at the table laughing at the mess they are in.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

30 January 2020
11.00am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2848sp_Permalink sp_Print

BREAKING NEWS:

“My Work Here Is Done”: Farage Descends To Hell After Brexit Finally Secured

SLOWLY descending into the fiery bowels of hell while enthusiastically waving a miniature Union Jack flag, Nigel Farage has completed his life’s work and is to be welcomed into the piping hot bosom of the Devil, now Britain’s exit for the EU is secured.

“My work here is done. Don’t cry because it’s over, cry because you’ll bear the brunt of the pain and I’m going to make millions,” Farage told his teary-eyed leave-voting fans as the bubbling lava emerging from the cavernous hole in the ground enveloped the chief proponent of closing the UK off from the world.

Farage’s descension comes after British MEPs’ final appearance in the European Parliament during which the Brexit Party owner spoke passionately about looking forward to all the damage Britain will suffer in the areas of humans rights, deprivation and inequality among other unimportant things.

“Fear not for me my children… because my actual children have German passports and I, a hefty MEP pension,” the serene looking anti-immigrant, pro-polite racism politician continued after a long and illustrious career in sewing suspicion like a racist seamstress.

“I usually leave it up to the arsehole upstairs to make grand gestures like this, ascension to Heaven this, ascend to heaven that” explained the Devil of his decision to call Farage downwards to his eternal home. “But Nige, to be fair, he’s knocked it out of the park; the magnificent cunt. A magnificunt if you will. So it’s only fair he gets his reward”.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

3 February 2020
10.21am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2849sp_Permalink sp_Print

Could be that the first major move that happens in the UK after Brexit is a war between the Government and the News Media.

The Downing Street Lobby were invited to a briefing this afternoon on what statements made by the PM and others today mean about our future trade policies. When the Lobby arrived, they were divided into two groups; a group who are happy to give the Government line, and a group who are more questioning about the Government line, and those who were more questioning were told they wouldn’t have access to the briefing.

Reports are saying that the whole Lobby walked, with favourable journalists refusing to take part unless those with criticisms were given the same access they were being offered.

This could be a big moment.

The Hole Got Fixed

3 February 2020
3.50pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Ron Nasty said
Could be that the first major move that happens in the UK after Brexit is a war between the Government and the News Media.

The Downing Street Lobby were invited to a briefing this afternoon on what statements made by the PM and others today mean about our future trade policies. When the Lobby arrived, they were divided into two groups; a group who are happy to give the Government line, and a group who are more questioning about the Government line, and those who were more questioning were told they wouldn’t have access to the briefing.

Reports are saying that the whole Lobby walked, with favourable journalists refusing to take part unless those with criticisms were given the same access they were being offered.

This could be a big moment.

Sounds awfully like Trump’s attempts in the US to stop those who ask(ed) unwanted questions access to the briefs or would attack them when asked. Wouldn’t surprise me if Boris tries to go the same way, he dodged a major BBC interview (the only leader of a major political party) so that all his spouted nonsense couldn’t be questioned in depth.

QuarryMan

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

4 February 2020
2.36am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2851sp_Permalink sp_Print

Woke up to the news that the DNC is making some unsubtle and entirely unsurprising attempts at damage control from the Iowa caucus. The idea of Bernie being the clear frontrunner and them still giving it to the corporate neoliberal shill Buttigieg is too much for my poor heart to handlepaul-mccartney-facepalm_gif

4 February 2020
9.47am
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2852sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, what happened in Iowa? Last night I heard there were some “difficulties” and the votes weren’t being reported or something, and this morning I read they never picked a winner. 

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

4 February 2020
11.31am
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
2853sp_Permalink sp_Print

^Holey and I successfully hacked a phone app so all of the votes were changed to us or Pete Buttigieg (we wanted to throw the guy a bone).

#HoleyApple2020

The official reason is “inconsistencies” which I think has been caused by a mobile app that they used to make the tallying process easier (how ironic).

Can I just say I have never seen a group as determined to get a guy elected for President that has as much hope of becoming president as I do of getting freckle-less skin as the Yang Gang. The sheer dedication and work that those lads put in is astounding. Applause for them all.

lovelyritametermaid, 50yearslate, QuarryMan

4 February 2020
12.18pm
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2854sp_Permalink sp_Print

If yo guy can’t win a single state, then how can he beat trump. This all is looking really bad and giving trump supporters more fuel for the flames

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

4 February 2020
12.59pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2855sp_Permalink sp_Print

I hope they’ll be releasing actual (accurate) results soon.

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

4 February 2020
4.11pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2856sp_Permalink sp_Print

#HoleyApple2020 is all true

The results from 62% of precincts have been released, and sure enough our plan worked @AppleScruffJunior 

Pete Buttigieg: 26.9%

Bernie Sanders: 25.1%

Elizabeth Warren: 18.3%

Joe Biden: 15.6%

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

AppleScruffJunior

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

4 February 2020
4.47pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Honestly thought Joe Boden was dead. Surely he cannot be the best candidate the Democrats have to go up against Trump, would have more chance putting a cat playing with some string forward in the presidential election.

Image result for cat playing with ball of string gifImage Enlarger

lovelyritametermaid, QuarryMan

4 February 2020
4.55pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
2858sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t know who Biden appeals to, I follow the debates pretty closely and he is pretty much an extremely out-of-touch conservative democratic. Surely if the democrats are to have any success, they should be looking for a candidate who is the polar opposite of Trump- young, liberal, high experience in politics i.e. they’ve done the typical Congress, then Senate route. 

But hey what would I know.

lovelyritametermaid

4 February 2020
5.59pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
2859sp_Permalink sp_Print

Most people that I know support Biden just because he was involved in the Obama administration, and since they think Obama did a good job at the presidency that Biden will as well because he was Pres Barack’s VP. 

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

5 February 2020
6.19am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2860sp_Permalink sp_Print

They’ve still only released 71% of the bloody results now, and of course the other 29% are largely from the Des Moines region of Iowa where Bernie has been crushing in the polls. Call me conspiratorial, but I don’t think its a stretch to say that the chaos was at least partly manufactured so that Pete could grab the headlines declaring victory, and then quietly reveal the actual result a few days later.

The best thing to come out of this, though, is definitely Biden’s tanking. As ASJ said, it’s hard to say exactly who he appeals to – elderly voters, maybe? I know his support with the black community has dropped – originally, it was high due to the Obama connection, but his horrendous record on racial issues, like his comments on busing and the fact that he wrote the 1994 crime bill, has been causing it to collapse. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691