Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
14 December 2019
2.42pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2781sp_Permalink sp_Print

The what now thread?

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

14 December 2019
11.44pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2782sp_Permalink sp_Print

50yearslate said
The what now thread?

Panto = Pantomime

It’s a type of theatre – ASJ was making a joke.

Very interesting to catch up on this thread… QM, my applause for you brings the roof down. Bravojohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gif

RN – it would appear Orpington didn’t exactly vote Lib Dem… 63% Tory iirc?

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

22 December 2019
3.46pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2783sp_Permalink sp_Print

Bad news my fellow Americans, Trump has raised the smoking age to 21:

https://nypost.com/2019/12/21/…..age-to-21/

It’s so stupid that things can be age restricted for even those above the age of majority, first it was alcohol and now this. The age of majority should mean the age of majority just like it does in nearly every other country in the world.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

22 December 2019
8.13pm
lovelyritametermaid
You can meet me after heavy rain has fallen
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1445
2784sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dark Overlord said

It’s so stupid that things can be age restricted for even those above the age of majority, first it was alcohol and now this. The age of majority should mean the age of majority just like it does in nearly every other country in the world.

Agreed.

Plus, is raising the smoking age even going to anything? College-aged students will still be able to pawn cigs and e-cigs off their older peers and high schoolers will still find a way to get a hold of vape and tobacco products. 

Also, banning e-cigs is bs, too. Maybe we should put more time and effort into completing concrete, unbiased research on e-cigarettes so that they can be properly regulated and debated as an alternative for cigarette-users instead of being instinctively batted away because of problems arising from bootlegged products that come about because there’s no proper regulation in the first place. None of what they’re doing is currently curbing the “vaping epidemic.” I should know because I witness the “epidemic” still going on in full effect inside (and outside) of my high school every day. 

"....When I cannot sing my heart, I can only speak my mind...." 

"....This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...."

||She/They ||

22 December 2019
9.52pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
2785sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, not something I agree with Trump on. Of course it doesn’t affect me personally because I have no intention of smoking, ever, after seeing what it’s done to George and David (Bowie) and people in my family (oh that was redundant, the Beatles are family a-hard-days-night-george-10) but it’s the principle of the thing. If you’re old enough to participate in your country’s elections and die for your country, you should be old enough to legally poison yourself with alcohol and burnt nicotine.

Hopefully it will prove unpopular enough among his base and potential voters that he will reconsider.

The following people thank Beatlebug for this post:

lovelyritametermaid, The Hole Got Fixed, QuarryMan, JW OBoogie

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

22 December 2019
11.42pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2786sp_Permalink sp_Print

lovelyritametermaid said

Dark Overlord said

Agreed.
Plus, is raising the smoking age even going to anything? College-aged students will still be able to pawn cigs and e-cigs off their older peers and high schoolers will still find a way to get a hold of vape and tobacco products.

Hell, it’s even easier than that, just pick them Off The Ground . I do this once in awhile when i find one in good shape.

Also, banning e-cigs is bs, too. Maybe we should put more time and effort into completing concrete, unbiased research on e-cigarettes so that they can be properly regulated and debated as an alternative for cigarette-users instead of being instinctively batted away because of problems arising from bootlegged products that come about because there’s no proper regulation in the first place. None of what they’re doing is currently curbing the “vaping epidemic.” I should know because I witness the “epidemic” still going on in full effect inside (and outside) of my high school every day.

Don’t know why people like to put extra emphasis on vaping, consuming anything on a frequent basis (whether it be caffeine, tobacco, alcohol, marijuana, or harder substances) is bad for you and if you’re going after their fruity flavors, it’s really easy just to make those yourself so Trump’s just wasting his time here.

Beatlebug said
Yeah, not something I agree with Trump on. Of course it doesn’t affect me personally because I have no intention of smoking, ever, after seeing what it’s done to George and David (Bowie) and people in my family (oh that was redundant, the Beatles are family a-hard-days-night-george-10) but it’s the principle of the thing. If you’re old enough to participate in your country’s elections and die for your country, you should be old enough to legally poison yourself with alcohol and burnt nicotine.

Exactly, why is it that an 18 year old can be evicted from their parent’s house, drive and purchase a car, vote, join the military (voluntarily or involuntarily), get the death penalty, buy a gun, have relations with pretty much anyone who’s of age, and own land but they can’t have a beer or a smoke. Not that they shouldn’t have most of those rights/responsibilities but if they can do all that, why not have a drink and a smoke.

Hopefully it will prove unpopular enough among his base and potential voters that he will reconsider.

Sorry to let you down but that’s not going to happen. The federal drinking age was raised to 21 in 1984 and AFAIK there’s been no serious efforts to lower it to 18 so i’d assume it’d be the same here.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

23 December 2019
3.27am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

I love how you get treated like little babies by the country. You can buy a shot gun- murder someone with that gun you legally bought, join the military forces and die for your country. But God forbid you smoke tobacco or have a beer- sweet Jesus, the world would end lads. 

Also, DO smoking castoff cigarettes can get you really sick, 1/10 would not recommend.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

23 December 2019
8.04am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
2788sp_Permalink sp_Print

Ugh, more ridiculousness. I share the annoyance with you guys that it’s stupid to have the age at 21 for mostly insignificant things like being able to drink and smoke, but then at 18 for things like joining the military. 

Plus, it’s not at all likely to stop anyone. Speaking from experience, a couple of years ago before I could legally buy cigarettes in the UK, everyone my age who wanted to smoke already was doing so, and the amount of people partaking didn’t massively change once people turned 18. In fact, all it did was allow people who were 18 or older to make a pretty penny pawning off cigs at bloated prices. 

Also, DO, picking up cigarettes Off The Ground is not a good idea. Just learn to roll your own, its a lot cheaper. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

23 December 2019
8.50am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2789sp_Permalink sp_Print

Don’t worry, i only smoke ones that are in good shape and have been barely used (if at all), which only happens once in awhile.

QuarryMan said
Ugh, more ridiculousness. I share the annoyance with you guys that it’s stupid to have the age at 21 for mostly insignificant things like being able to drink and smoke, but then at 18 for things like joining the military.  

And it’s not just joining the military, you can be drafted at 18 as well.

QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

2 January 2020
11.11pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2790sp_Permalink sp_Print

We could be in some really deep shit:

https://www.theguardian.com/wo…..s-tensions

Hopefully, Trump stops here and everything returns back to normal but this could be the start of a new war. And if Trump decides to put out a draft, we’re screwed because now the progress we’ve made means that every able bodied person without a criminal record can be drafted whereas only cis straight able bodied men without a criminal record were drafted during the Vietnam war.

QuarryMan, lovelyritametermaid

3 January 2020
7.28am
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
2791sp_Permalink sp_Print

Will I have the trucks ready to go over the Canadian border, lads? Warm up the engines?

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

lovelyritametermaid

3 January 2020
11.26am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
2792sp_Permalink sp_Print

Me, waking up this morning: hey, this decade seems to be going okay so far! 

This decade: heading to a third world war on the THIRD DAY

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, lovelyritametermaid, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

3 January 2020
1.16pm
Beatlebug

Moderators
2793sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t think it will come to WW3, but it’s not like 2019 took his garbage fire with him when he left the office…

([{BRACKETS!}])
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png

3 January 2020
6.54pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2794sp_Permalink sp_Print

AppleScruffJunior said
Will I have the trucks ready to go over the Canadian border, lads? Warm up the engines?

They’ll be expecting that so it’s likely Trump will build a second wall bordering Canada. Our best bet is to invade the Bir Tawil since no one owns this land although considering how barren of food, water, and life it is, most people would rather just serve the military.

3 January 2020
7.20pm
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
2795sp_Permalink sp_Print

Beatlebug said
I don’t think it will come to WW3, but it’s not like 2019 took his garbage fire with him when he left the office…

No, there won’t be a WWIII, Trump will have killed us all before we get there.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

3 January 2020
8.11pm
Beatlebug

Moderators

meanmistermustard said

Trump will have killed us all  

wat

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

3 January 2020
9.22pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2797sp_Permalink sp_Print

Trump’s the one with the nuclear codes and if he gets pissed off with Russia, North Korea, or any similar country, it only takes about 15 minutes to send those missiles flying in their direction, which can easily lead to a nuclear war, especially considering that Trump is probably the best leader out of all these countries.

4 January 2020
8.40am
Beatlebug

Moderators
2798sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh, come on. Like that’s going to happen. Everyone knows more conventional wars pay better.

([{BRACKETS!}])
whiteheart.png

4 January 2020
3.19pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
2799sp_Permalink sp_Print

Interestingly, this attack actually boosted Trump’s approval rating to a near record high.

https://www.washingtonexaminer…..ni-killing

4 January 2020
3.31pm
AppleScruffJunior
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
2800sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Important to note that’s 45.3%. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2858
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles, vtrop, nickygrangery
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22223, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694