Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
23 April 2019
5.18am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1578
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2241sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Sri Lankan attack was one of the world's worst since 9/11 and dwarf's Christchurch......... But there have been worse much worse.

Here's a list from the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo.....-world-911

23 April 2019
5.36am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 6286
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online
2242sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is truly horrifying that articlea-hard-days-night-paul-7

The scary part is - That number is probably going to rise as more people die from their injuries. 

The world is such a terrible place sometimes.

Oh, by the way, this post was made by The Hole Got Fixed!

2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png

23 April 2019
5.58am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9165
2243sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not an excuse, @Wigwam, but as Holey said, I have badly damaged my leg and have had problems posting the last week or so (my usual position when on my laptop is sitting on the sofa cross-legged with the laptop on the coffee table in front of me, which has been impossible).

However, I would not have blamed the small Muslim population of Sri Lanka had I been able to post normally because there has been no claim of responsibility. I would have added yesterday that the Sri Lankan Government believe a previously unheard of Muslim group - the NFJ - were responsible, and that the attack was in response to the NZ attack.

It was easy to blame the NZ attack on a white supremacist because he claimed it, sent out a deranged manifesto.

It has only been in the last hour that ISIS have claimed involvement in the horrific Sri Lankan attacks.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

The Beatles Non-Canon Poll List

23 April 2019
7.21am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Hope the leg gets better Ron, sounds awful ..... And a nice story you posted earlier today about your childhood cat Tigger disappearing for an illicit meeting with Bruno the local Tom. Had it been nowadays you could have posted delightful videos of the resulting kittens on youtube......

I heard the claims of credit for these attacks coming from Isis at least a day ago. Still perhaps you're right to be cautious it would be terrible to besmirch them and blame them for something that they're only claiming is their triumph!

I for one have no trouble believing it was them given the nature of the suicide attacks. If, as they say it was, then they would have had some serious help. It was a highly co-ordinated effort.

I heard someone say today that, 'Terrorism is fluid and takes the path of least resistance'.......... It could well be that countries so far untouched by Jihadist terror could now be infected like some pernicious and malignant tumour that's metastasised and being spread around the world by ex Isis fighters....

........And also that fresh efforts are being lined up in the old, 'tried and tested battlegrounds' of Europe and The US .........a worry for us all.

23 April 2019
7.52am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 17800
2245sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hummmm... probably not *ex* IS fighters. Just IS fighters in various parts of the world. Right?

23 April 2019
8.48am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Ahhh Girl said
Hummmm... probably not *ex* IS fighters. Just IS fighters in various parts of the world. Right?

Yes......Silly me.... That wasn't very explicit.

How about......Ex Isis fighters who have retreated from their supposed caliphate after having partaken in, and survived major battles......Now dispersed around the world....they are trained, hardened and ready, (when the time is right), to emerge from whatever muslim community they hide within to cause  deadly mayhem to soft or political targets in (usually), a western Christian community.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl
23 April 2019
9.13am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 17800
2247sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Yep. I think that will work.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Wigwam
23 April 2019
11.10am
QuarryMan
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1939
2248sp_Permalink sp_Print

It truly is a terrifying thought. Obviously I'm not complaining that the 'caliphate' is no more, but in some ways its worse to have fighters spread around the world where they can cause untold amounts of destruction and confusion. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Wigwam

"maybe I couldn't be skinny or tall but I'll settle with being the greatest artist of all time as a consolation"

- Kanye West -

24 April 2019
1.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 9165
2249sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lyra-McKee.jpgImage Enlarger

On the day of her funereal, I wanted to make a few comments on the murder of 29-year-old journalist Lyra McKee on the streets of the Creggan estate in Derry last Thursday.

As some of you may know, I come from a London Irish background, with grandparents who fled the sectarian divides and violence that have plagued the island of Ireland for more than a century. I have always lent toward a united Ireland, but only should that be the will of the majority of the population of Northern Ireland. It will never, and should never, come about because of those who believe they can bring it about with their bombs and their guns and their indiscriminate murders.

The Good Friday Agreement 21 years ago offered Hope For The Future , a political path forward that the politicians, instead of embedding democracy and a non-violent path forward, the power-sharing Assembly has often been suspended, with the current suspension beginning on 9 January 2017.

Instead of offering Hope For The Future , the main parties - the loyalist DUP and the republican Sinn Féin - find quarrels to excuse their unwillingness to work across the divides and do the jobs for which they were elected while still pocketing their nearly £50,000 wages.

The political vacuum they have created emboldens those with violence in their hearts as there is a lack of political and social progress in the North of the island, and leads - inevitably - to death on the streets at the hands of violent dissidents that the majority of the people, North and South, DO NOT WANT!!!

Lyra, as a lesbian, and a great campaigner for LGBTQIA rights, was denied the rights that those in every other part of the United Kingdom have. She was planning to marry her girlfriend, but knew that marriage couldn't happen in Northern Ireland, and that it wouldn't be recognised there, because of the dogma, doctrine and religious bigotry.

It is time for the politicians to get back to work. It is long past time.

The New IRA are not wanted, and their hollow apology for her death following the outcry and disgust at a gunman firing indiscriminately into a crowd hoping to hit and kill police is a crock. There wasn't a police officer there who deserved death any more than she did.

It was nice watching the politicians squirm in their seats as Father Martin Magill challenged them to do better, be better, as the real mourners broke into a standing ovation around them.

It has to stop. NO MORE.

RIP Lyra Catherine McKee (31 March 1990 - 18 April 2019)

The island of Ireland of poorer for your loss, and its echo of the past.

a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10heartheartheart

and, Ma'am,

john-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, ScarlettFieldsForever, Beatlebug, Getbackintheussr, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

The Beatles Non-Canon Poll List

Forum Timezone: America/Chicago
Most Users Ever Online: 597
Currently Online: The Hole Got Fixed
Guest(s)
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 15555
Beatlebug: 14118
Ron Nasty: 9165
Necko: 7838
parlance: 7111