Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
23 April 2019
5.18am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2241sp_Permalink sp_Print

The Sri Lankan attack was one of the world’s worst since 9/11 and dwarf’s Christchurch……… But there have been worse much worse.

Here’s a list from the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/wo…..-world-911

23 April 2019
5.36am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2242sp_Permalink sp_Print

That is truly horrifying that articlea-hard-days-night-paul-7

The scary part is – That number is probably going to rise as more people die from their injuries. 

The world is such a terrible place sometimes.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

23 April 2019
5.58am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2243sp_Permalink sp_Print

Not an excuse, @Wigwam, but as Holey said, I have badly damaged my leg and have had problems posting the last week or so (my usual position when on my laptop is sitting on the sofa cross-legged with the laptop on the coffee table in front of me, which has been impossible).

However, I would not have blamed the small Muslim population of Sri Lanka had I been able to post normally because there has been no claim of responsibility. I would have added yesterday that the Sri Lankan Government believe a previously unheard of Muslim group – the NFJ – were responsible, and that the attack was in response to the NZ attack.

It was easy to blame the NZ attack on a white supremacist because he claimed it, sent out a deranged manifesto.

It has only been in the last hour that ISIS have claimed involvement in the horrific Sri Lankan attacks.

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

23 April 2019
7.21am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Hope the leg gets better Ron, sounds awful ….. And a nice story you posted earlier today about your childhood cat Tigger disappearing for an illicit meeting with Bruno the local Tom. Had it been nowadays you could have posted delightful videos of the resulting kittens on youtube……

I heard the claims of credit for these attacks coming from Isis at least a day ago. Still perhaps you’re right to be cautious it would be terrible to besmirch them and blame them for something that they’re only claiming is their triumph!

I for one have no trouble believing it was them given the nature of the suicide attacks. If, as they say it was, then they would have had some serious help. It was a highly co-ordinated effort.

I heard someone say today that, ‘Terrorism is fluid and takes the path of least resistance’………. It could well be that countries so far untouched by Jihadist terror could now be infected like some pernicious and malignant tumour that’s metastasised and being spread around the world by ex Isis fighters….

……..And also that fresh efforts are being lined up in the old, ‘tried and tested battlegrounds’ of Europe and The US ………a worry for us all.

23 April 2019
7.52am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
2245sp_Permalink sp_Print

Hummmm… probably not *ex* IS fighters. Just IS fighters in various parts of the world. Right?

23 April 2019
8.48am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Ahhh Girl said
Hummmm… probably not *ex* IS fighters. Just IS fighters in various parts of the world. Right?

Yes……Silly me…. That wasn’t very explicit.

How about……Ex Isis fighters who have retreated from their supposed caliphate after having partaken in, and survived major battles……Now dispersed around the world….they are trained, hardened and ready, (when the time is right), to emerge from whatever muslim community they hide within to cause  deadly mayhem to soft or political targets in (usually), a western Christian community.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Ahhh Girl
23 April 2019
9.13am
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22213
2247sp_Permalink sp_Print

^ Yep. I think that will work.

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

Wigwam
23 April 2019
11.10am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3759
2248sp_Permalink sp_Print

It truly is a terrifying thought. Obviously I’m not complaining that the ‘caliphate’ is no more, but in some ways its worse to have fighters spread around the world where they can cause untold amounts of destruction and confusion. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

Wigwam

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

24 April 2019
1.39pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2249sp_Permalink sp_Print

Lyra-McKee.jpgImage Enlarger

On the day of her funereal, I wanted to make a few comments on the murder of 29-year-old journalist Lyra McKee on the streets of the Creggan estate in Derry last Thursday.

As some of you may know, I come from a London Irish background, with grandparents who fled the sectarian divides and violence that have plagued the island of Ireland for more than a century. I have always lent toward a united Ireland, but only should that be the will of the majority of the population of Northern Ireland. It will never, and should never, come about because of those who believe they can bring it about with their bombs and their guns and their indiscriminate murders.

The Good Friday Agreement 21 years ago offered Hope For The Future , a political path forward that the politicians, instead of embedding democracy and a non-violent path forward, the power-sharing Assembly has often been suspended, with the current suspension beginning on 9 January 2017.

Instead of offering Hope For The Future , the main parties – the loyalist DUP and the republican Sinn Féin – find quarrels to excuse their unwillingness to work across the divides and do the jobs for which they were elected while still pocketing their nearly £50,000 wages.

The political vacuum they have created emboldens those with violence in their hearts as there is a lack of political and social progress in the North of the island, and leads – inevitably – to death on the streets at the hands of violent dissidents that the majority of the people, North and South, DO NOT WANT!!!

Lyra, as a lesbian, and a great campaigner for LGBTQIA rights, was denied the rights that those in every other part of the United Kingdom have. She was planning to marry her girlfriend, but knew that marriage couldn’t happen in Northern Ireland, and that it wouldn’t be recognised there, because of the dogma, doctrine and religious bigotry.

It is time for the politicians to get back to work. It is long past time.

The New IRA are not wanted, and their hollow apology for her death following the outcry and disgust at a gunman firing indiscriminately into a crowd hoping to hit and kill police is a crock. There wasn’t a police officer there who deserved death any more than she did.

It was nice watching the politicians squirm in their seats as Father Martin Magill challenged them to do better, be better, as the real mourners broke into a standing ovation around them.

It has to stop. NO MORE.

RIP Lyra Catherine McKee (31 March 1990 – 18 April 2019)

The island of Ireland of poorer for your loss, and its echo of the past.

a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10heartheartheart

and, Ma’am,

john-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gifjohn-lennon-salute_gif

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, ScarlettFieldsForever, Beatlebug, Getbackintheussr, Dark Overlord, Dark Overlord, QuarryMan, WeepingAtlasCedars

The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

22 May 2019
1.12pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2250sp_Permalink sp_Print

I know it’s been said before but, looking at the events of the last two days at Westminster, Prime Minister Theresa May will be forced out within days. All sides of the Conservative Party are in open revolt. Some Cabinet Ministers have told her to resign, she is refusing to see others that she knows will tell her time is up.

The European elections taking place in the UK will destroy the Conservatives when the results come through on Sunday night (results aren’t revealed until all European Union countries have voted).

It’s almost impossible to imagine she will still be in place by the end of next week.

The Hole Got Fixed

22 May 2019
1.37pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2251sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree. Although the Brexit debacle has been comparatively quiet recently after all the drama earlier in the year, the inevitable kicking the Conservatives are probably going to get this Thursday will most likely be one crisis too far. 

In other news, I’ve just heard that Nigel Farage is stranded on his campaign bus in Rochester surrounded by people holding milkshakes. I know I shouldn’t laugh because of freedom of speech and democracy and everything, but these milkshake antics have had me in stitches the past few days. The Revolution will be pasteurised. 

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Von Bontee, Beatlebug, WeepingAtlasCedars

22 May 2019
1.54pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Leader of the House of Commons, Andrea Leadsom, after not attending Prime Minister’s Question Time today, has just resigned with a damning letter.

Are there going to be more walking out tonight, or following the European elections?

We are definitely in the endgame for her.

QuarryMan, The Hole Got Fixed

23 May 2019
7.22pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

Many of today’s UK front pages (it’s currently 01:21 on the 24th here) predict that Prime Minister Theresa May will either resign today or lay out a definite timetable for her departure that will see her leave after Trump’s UK State visit in a couple of weeks.

Myself, I think she will do both since our unwritten constitution allows it. I think the chances are that she will resign as Conservative Party leader, setting off the election of a new party leader, and say she will remain as PM until the conclusion of the leadership race, which will probably take 6-8 weeks, at which point she will resign as PM. During those weeks she will remain in office but not in power. A situation she is totally used to since she hasn’t been in power in many many months.

The other alternative would be to wait until Sunday/Monday in order to take the media focus away from what will undoubtedly be disastrous European Election results for the Conservatives, with many polls suggesting they will have got less than 10% of the vote.

Her main aim now seems to be to outlast former Labour PM Gordon Brown, the shortest serving PM in modern times, which she’ll soon pass.

Von Bontee, QuarryMan

24 May 2019
4.25am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2254sp_Permalink sp_Print

Prime Minister Theresa May has just made a statement that she will resign the Conservative Party leadership on Friday 7 June, at the end of Trump’s visit.

She doesn’t want to be a Caretaker PM for Trump’s visit, with a leadership election going on behind her, though that’s exactly what will be the situation.

ScarlettFieldsForever, The Hole Got Fixed, Getbackintheussr

24 May 2019
5.54am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers

It is interesting to note that the last three Conservative Prime Ministers – Margaret Thatcher, John Major, David Cameron – and now we add a fourth, Theresa May, have all been brought down, destroyed, by the Party’s divisions over Europe.

PM-Theresa-May-at-end-of-speech.jpgImage Enlarger

Ever since I first stepped through the door behind me as Prime Minister, I was driven to make the United Kingdom a country that works not just for a privileged few but for everyone, and to honour the result of the EU referendum.

Back in 2016, we gave the people the British people a choice.

Against all predictions, the British people voted to leave the European Union.

I feel as certain today as I did three years ago that in a democracy, if you give people a choice you have a duty to implement what they decide.

I have done my best to do that.

I negotiated the terms of our exit and a new relationship with our closest neighbours that protects jobs, our security and our union.

I have done everything I can to convince MPs to back that deal.

Sadly, I have not been able to do so. I tried three times. I believe it was right to persevere, even where the odds against success seemed high.

But it is now clear to me that it is in the best interests of the country for a new prime minister to lead that effort.

So I am today announcing that I will resign as the leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party on Friday 7 June so that a successor can be chosen.

I have agreed with the party chairman and with the chairman of the 1922 committee that the process for electing a new leader should begin in the following week.

I have kept Her Majesty the Queen fully informed of my intentions and I will continue to serve as her Prime Minister until the process has concluded.

It is and will always remain a matter of deep regret to me that I have not been able to deliver Brexit.

It will be for my successor to seek a way forward that honours the result of the referendum.

To succeed, he or she will have to find consensus in Parliament where I have not.

Such a consensus can only be reached if those on all sides of the debate are willing to compromise.

For many years the great humanitarian, Sir Nicholas Winton, who saved the lives of hundreds of children by arranging their evacuation from Nazi-occupied Czecheslovakia through the Kindertransport, was my constituent in Maidenhead.

At another time of political controversy a few years before his death, he took me to one side at a local event and gave me a piece of advice.

He said: “Never forget that compromise is not a dirty word. Life depends on compromise.” He was right.

As we strive to find the compromises we need in our politics, whether to deliver Brexit or to restore devolved government in Northern Ireland, we must remember what brought us here.

Because the referendum was not just a call to leave the EU, but for profound change in our country, a call to make the United Kingdom a country that truly works for everyone.

I’m proud of the progress we have made over the last three years.

We have completed the work that David Cameron and George Osborne started. The deficit is almost eliminated.

Our national debt is falling and we are bringing an end to austerity.

My focus has been on ensuring that the good jobs of the future will be created in communities across the whole country, not just in London and the South East, through our modern industrial strategy.

We have helped more people than ever enjoy the security of a job. We are building more homes and helping first-time buyers onto the housing ladder, so young people can enjoy the opportunities their parents did.

And we are protecting the environment, eliminating plastic waste, tackling climate change and improving air quality.

This is what a decent, moderate and patriotic Conservative government on the common ground of British politics can achieve, even as we tackle the biggest peacetime challenge any government has faced.

I know that the Conservative Party can renew itself in the years ahead, that we can deliver Brexit and serve the British people with policies inspired by our values.

Security, freedom and opportunity. Those values have guided me throughout my career. But the unique privilege of this office is to use this platform to give a voice to the voiceless. To fight the burning injustices that still scar our society.

That is why I put proper funding for mental health at the heart of our NHS long term plan.

It’s why I’m ending the postcode lottery for victims of domestic abuse.

It is why the race disparity audit and gender pay reporting are shining a light on inequality so it has nowhere to hide.

And it is why I set up the independent inquiry into the tragedy at Grenfell Tower, to search for the truth so nothing like it can ever happen again, and so the people who lost their lives that night are never forgotten.

Because this country is a union. Not just a family of four nations, but a union of people, all of us. Whatever our background, the colour of our skin, or who we love, we stand together, and together we have a great future.

Our politics may be under strain but there is so much that is good about this country, so much to be proud of, so much to be optimistic about.

I will shortly leave the job that it has been the honour of my life to hold.

The second female prime minister, but certainly not the last.

I do so with no ill will, but with enormous and enduring gratitude to have had the opportunity to serve the country I love.

The Hole Got Fixed, Getbackintheussr, ScarlettFieldsForever, WeepingAtlasCedars

24 May 2019
10.14am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2256sp_Permalink sp_Print

A good speech from May. While her time as Prime Minister was pretty disastrous in many ways, I hope for her sake that she will be remembered for her perseverance against the odds, and that she was willing to do the job where no one else was. 

10 June 2019
10.47am
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5777
2257sp_Permalink sp_Print

Boston Red Sox legend David Ortiz is out of surgery after an apparent attempt on his life in his home country The Dominican Republic. He is expected to make a full recover after being shot through the back at point blank range. The baseball world is praying for him. It cannot be understated how much he means to baseball, the city of boston, and especially his native country. 

The following people thank sir walter raleigh for this post:

Beatlebug, Timothy

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

10 July 2019
10.12am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2258sp_Permalink sp_Print

[Image Can Not Be Found]

Heh.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

14 July 2019
9.40pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
2259sp_Permalink sp_Print

I don’t usually bother commenting on Trump antics but sometimes it’s hard to bite your tongue…

Today he launched a Twitter attack on four ethnic Congresswomen who have critical of American government (for that, I think, we can read critical of Trump) to go back to where they came from and fix the problems in governance there before criticising America.

Firstly, telling four members of Congress of a different ethnic background to butt out and get back to where they once belonged is racist in itself but, worse still, three of the four are Americans by birth, one being born in the same neighbourhood as he was, with only one being a migrant.

And yet most of his supporters will defend his comments, protesting any suggestion it’s further proof of his racism…

blue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanieblue-meanie

Tangerine, The Hole Got Fixed, 50yearslate

15 July 2019
2.41am
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583

OMG RN, stop listening to that #FakeNews. He obviously didn’t mean it that way. He is not lecherous, sexist or racist in spite of what first-hand evidence we have! 

He said he’d rarely go on vacation during his presidency and he’s right, he’s only gone and played golf 195 times since he became president and that’s totally holding up with his “not going to have time to play golf” promise that he made in 2016. It’s good that he’s practicing his swing so little and that it’s only cost the US taxpayer $100m+ so far. Especially as he’s attending mostly his own properties so the money that is spent by the taxpayer goes directly back to his personal coffers! What an absolute bargain.

Over his entire 8 years, Obama took 328 vacation days- only 133 more golfing days and the greatest president that the US has ever had, will equal his terrible predecessor, whose economic success the 45th President is currently riding off. 

Just remember kids:

Build that (conservative estimate) $15 billion dollar wall while 47% of adults in Detroit are functionally illiterate! 

Keep watching and listening to Alex Jones, Owen Shroyer, Paul Joseph Watson, Kaitlin Bennett, Gavin McInnes and Steven Crowder to get your well-educated, detailed, non-misleading news.

Remember, Birmingham is a no-go zone for non-Muslims, vaccines cause autism, Hitler totally was a leftist, and the worst of all, chemicals in the water are turning the frogs gay. 

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, 50yearslate, Tangerine, ThatWeirdBeatlesGirl

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5509
Newest Members:
frankc, viv@nelsontraining.co.uk, bornhairyman, frankkilmore123@gmail.com, onlyanorthernsong
Moderators: Joe: 5691, meanmistermustard: 24950, Ahhh Girl: 22213, Beatlebug: 18181, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5691