Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
12 April 2019
3.27am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Dark Overlord said
Oops, i saw the word rescinded and thought that meant they dropped the case. That really sucks that Google and Facebook won.

I would like to point out that a lot of authoritarian SJW’s like to use terms like white supremacist, neo-Nazi, and alt right to describe anyone who they disagree with, even if those people are actually on the left.

Take The Amazing Atheist for example, a bisexual left-wing libertarian who hates Trump and regularly criticizes conservatives. Even he’s been described as alt-right by Vice for his views on feminism and BLM.

As for the whole jumping bail thing, that’s messed up and proves he’s guilty since if he were innocent, he’d have no problem proving it in court.

Millions of innocent people throughout the centuries have been found guilty in a court of law, to suggest therefore that Assange must be guilty based entirely on jumping bail and not going to court is ludicrous.

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 April 2019
3.39am
Billy Rhythm
Shea Stadium
Members
Forum Posts: 953
2222sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said

Dark Overlord said

Oops, i saw the word rescinded and thought that meant they dropped the case. That really sucks that Google and Facebook won.

I would like to point out that a lot of authoritarian SJW’s like to use terms like white supremacist, neo-Nazi, and alt right to describe anyone who they disagree with, even if those people are actually on the left.

Take The Amazing Atheist for example, a bisexual left-wing libertarian who hates Trump and regularly criticizes conservatives. Even he’s been described as alt-right by Vice for his views on feminism and BLM.

As for the whole jumping bail thing, that’s messed up and proves he’s guilty since if he were innocent, he’d have no problem proving it in court.

Millions of innocent people throughout the centuries have been found guilty in a court of law, to suggest therefore that Assange must be guilty based entirely on jumping bail and not going to court is ludicrous.

how many of those “Millions” had the resources that this particular example has at their disposal to mount a strong defence?  the bigger problem is the countless guilty parties that are able to be exonerated due to their financial wealth and notoriety…:-)

12 April 2019
4.24am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913

“how many of those “Millions” had the resources that this particular example has at their disposal to mount a strong defence?  the bigger problem is the countless guilty parties that are able to be exonerated due to their financial wealth and notoriety…:-)”

Like Jussie Smollett?

12 April 2019
8.31am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

Billy Rhythm said

meanmistermustard said

Dark Overlord said

how many of those “Millions” had the resources that this particular example has at their disposal to mount a strong defence?  the bigger problem is the countless guilty parties that are able to be exonerated due to their financial wealth and notoriety…:-)

It doesn’t matter. His lack of willingness to go to court to face charges, whilst it makes him look more guilty, does not prove his guilt – money or lack of is not the deciding factor. Someone with no money who goes on the run is in no way less definitely guilty than someone with millions to his/her name without having gone thru the courts and been sentenced.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

QuarryMan

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

12 April 2019
2.07pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
2225sp_Permalink sp_Print

I agree with MMM. While I don’t know enough about Assange to make a guess whether he’s guilty or not, the fact that he’s avoiding court doesn’t make him guilty. Perhaps he suspects that given how much the international establishment, particularly the US, wants to silence him, he won’t be given fair treatment if he does go to court. Or maybe that’s too cynical of me. 

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

13 April 2019
6.58am
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2226sp_Permalink sp_Print

Jumping bail doesn’t prove he’s guilty but it suggests it since why would someone who’s innocent jump bail, especially considering that he may still be charged with jumping bail even if he’s proven innocent.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

15 April 2019
1.07pm
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2227sp_Permalink sp_Print

Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris is in flames, the main spire and the roof have collapsed, the stained glass has gone.

ct-notre-dame-fire-paris-20190415.jpgImage Enlarger

z24663647VPlonaca-katedra-Notre-Dame-w-Paryzu-.jpgImage Enlarger

a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10a-hard-days-night-paul-10heartheartheart

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

15 April 2019
2.02pm
vonbontee
Inside Von Bontee's mind
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5446
2228sp_Permalink sp_Print

a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

GEORGE: In fact, The Detroit Sound. JOHN: In fact, yes. GEORGE: In fact, yeah. Tamla-Motown artists are our favorites. The Miracles. JOHN: We like Marvin Gaye. GEORGE: The Impressions PAUL & GEORGE: Mary Wells. GEORGE: The Exciters. RINGO: Chuck Jackson. JOHN: To name but eighty. 

offtopic-1.png

https://rateyourmusic.com/~Myo.....Von_Bontee

15 April 2019
2.36pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
2229sp_Permalink sp_Print

Oh my. 

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

15 April 2019
2.37pm
Beatlebug
Find me where ye echo lays

Moderators
Forum Posts: 18182
2230sp_Permalink sp_Print

derek-taylor_01_gif Oh my. I heard about that but I couldn’t quite believe it.

([{BRACKETS!}])
New to Forumpool? You can introduce yourself here.
If you love The Beatles Bible, and you have adblock, don't forget to white-list this site!
whiteheart.png
avatar_creative_signature_Hmm.pngStarSpangledBanner.png

15 April 2019
3.24pm
AppleScruffJunior
Sitting here doing nothing but procrastinating...
Apple rooftop
Reviewers

Members
Forum Posts: 7583
2231sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m in Paris in 3 weeks, literally booked my hotel next to Notre Dame because I wanted to go to it on the Saturday morning so I could get my flight back the Saturday afternoon.

To think of how much history is gone in a few hours. 

I hope they can save some part of it but it doesn’t look likely.

The following people thank AppleScruffJunior for this post:

Beatlebug, QuarryMan

INTROVERTS UNITE! Separately....in your own homes!

Make Love, Not Wardrobes!

"Stop throwing jelly beans at me"- George Harrison

15 April 2019
3.59pm
Capri
The Indra
Members
Forum Posts: 36
2232sp_Permalink sp_Print

Makes me sad that I never got the opportunity to see the Notre Dame catedrale back when I was in Paris 10 years ago even though I was just a child back then…

Nothing is safe from passing, but what a big loss for art and the world of architecture with all that hard work and the years it took to build and finish Notre Dame.

The following people thank Capri for this post:

Beatlebug
15 April 2019
5.04pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
2233sp_Permalink sp_Print

What a loss. My love to the people of Paris heart

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

15 April 2019
5.36pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2234sp_Permalink sp_Print

I woke up not 5 minutes ago, and news like this wants me to go back to sleep. 

What a terrible loss to the world and to Paris. I hope something can be salvaged 

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Beatlebug, Getbackintheussr

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

15 April 2019
5.50pm
Ahhh Girl
sailing on a winedark open sea

Moderators

Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 22227
2235sp_Permalink sp_Print

My heart aches for this loss. I’m glad I got the opportunity to go inside Notre-Dame when I was in Paris in 2008.

nd2.jpgImage Enlarger

nd4.jpgImage Enlarger

nd3.jpgImage Enlarger

nd1.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank Ahhh Girl for this post:

QuarryMan, ScarlettFieldsForever, Beatlebug, Ron Nasty, Getbackintheussr
15 April 2019
6.40pm
ScarlettFieldsForever
Marmalade Skies
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1063

I woke up half an hour ago, grabbed my phone and saw this…My heart was screaming, “what the hell?!”

I went to Paris about 5 yrs ago, Victor Hugo’s famous book was my favourite then, but I just got to sit on a bus and pass it by. To think I’ve missed it forever…a-hard-days-night-ringo-6

Edit: According to the latest news, the roof and one of the rose windows are burnt, the spire has fallen down, but the main structure is perserved. I’m an atheist, but still thank God

The following people thank ScarlettFieldsForever for this post:

Beatlebug, Getbackintheussr

A girl with kaleidoscope eyes...

15 April 2019
8.31pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

Such a loss……

This sort of thing even though there was no loss of life hurts. It’s still an enormous loss. Coming at Easter, the most sacred time for Christians adds to the feeling of tragedy.

I hear that though there was much damage many of the priceless artefacts and religious icons have been rescued from the interior ……That’s good.

The bell towers have survived…That leads me to wondering if the small sculpture of Quasimodo, (meaning Sunday) being on the exterior of the North transept has also remained intact.

Terrorism and arson have been ruled out…..(those possibilities had quickly come to my mind).

Paris has really been going through it lately.

Nothing lasts…Buildings at least can be rebuilt.

The following people thank Wigwam for this post:

Beatlebug, QuarryMan
16 April 2019
1.08am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2238sp_Permalink sp_Print

@Wigwam said
The bell towers have survived…That leads me to wondering if the small sculpture of Quasimodo, (meaning Sunday) being on the exterior of the North transept has also remained intact.

While I can’t say for definite on the Quasimodo statue, one fortunate part of the restoration work going on (ignoring the bit that there’s a good chance the restoration is the cause in some way) is that much of roof decoration had been removed for off-site restoration, including 16 statues that were craned down just last Thursday.

ND-statue-removal-11-04-19.jpgImage Enlarger

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

Beatlebug

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

23 April 2019
3.38am
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members

I noticed ‘we’ jumped in to pile on the accusations and disgust at the Covington boy……..Give our opinions on Michael Jackson……….The Christchurch shootings…….Notre Dame

But………300+ killed in Sri Lanka…….3 days have gone by and so far not a ‘dicky-bird’ here……..?

Why is that?

Is Sri Lanka in the wrong place?…..Is it that it was mostly Christians that were targeted and killed…… not muslims, or Jews, or black Americans?

Is it because the killers were the normal sort? ie muslim suicide bombers, (at least they are taking the credit) …..That it is then just a run-of-the-mill, commonplace terror attack, nothing to see here…..?    Is it that we have become numbed?…….Deadened……?

…….Or, are we so enfeebled by PC thought that we can’t express our anger and revulsion at this carnage because it would be judged racist to do so?

(23,000 Christians killed in churches in the last 9 years…..No one stands up for them).

Now it seems Christians as a group can’t even be mentioned……’Easter Worshippers’ is the euphemism. ‘An attack on churches and hotels’……’Sympathy with the victims and the relatives’  

These were Christians targeted on Christianity’s holiest day by muslims because…………. they were Christian. There I’ve said it.

We can say a white supremest targeted muslims in NZ ………After-all it’s an accurate description. We can say, ‘muslims were killed praying in their mosque.’

We don’t just say, ‘There was an attack on a mosque and a number of people were killed.’  

And finally for all the liberal compassion on show here, the ever-readiness to ‘virtue signal’ at the drop of a MAGA hat, no one, except one old, out-of-touch fart…….ie me…….  can say to the over 300 Christians killed by sick and deluded muslims. 

RIP.

23 April 2019
4.00am
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2240sp_Permalink sp_Print

I would have posted the news, @Wigwam, but I was unable to link to the article I wanted to as I have been on holiday at my grandparent’s house for the last 4 days. I only got home yesterday, by which time I had moved on.

Of course I grieve for the incredible loss of life. It sickens me, to something beyond words. 

Our main poster of news, RN, has of course had some leg problems which has kind of impeded upon his forum presence in the last few days (hope you’re on the mend RN!). 

The fact that no one posts about it doesn’t mean we don’t care or approve. It just means that we weren’t able to.

The following people thank The Hole Got Fixed for this post:

Getbackintheussr

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5519
Newest Members:
seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker, Lovethebeatles
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22227, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694