Please consider registering
sp_LogInOut Log Insp_Registration Register
Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search
Forum Scope

Match

Forum Options

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
I read the news today (oh boy) - Current world events
27 March 2019
4.57pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
2161sp_Permalink sp_Print

That sucks @Ron Nasty especially considering he got away with it and no one should have go through that.

The following people thank Dark Overlord for this post:

Ron Nasty

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

27 March 2019
5.44pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 3761
2162sp_Permalink sp_Print

meanmistermustard said
So.

If MP’s vote for the deal no one wants then Mrs May will go, which most Conservatives want, so it’s more of a helping shove (some may call it blackmail) to get it thru. But the DUP have said they will still vote no chance in hell due to the backdrop so that deal is dead yet leaves Mrs May and the Tories god knows where. May wants out, everyone wants her out, yet she wants her deal thru and will only force that thru before she goes but doesn’t have the majority votes needed to do so.

All 8 alternative options have all been defeated.

And to top it all, Mr Bercow won’t even let the vote on May’s deal happen unless it changes so May has to find a way to get it passed a massive barrier. A vote she looks almost certain to lose if she gets it thru.

So, basically.

Everyone wants to do something yet no one can agree on what they want to do to the point of a voting consensus. 

This is never going to end, those in charge are incapable of going anywhere, and the entire UK is entirely fucked. 

God , we’re so screwed. What a bloody nightmare. 

I've been up on the mountain, and I've seen his wondrous grace,
I've sat there on the barstool and I've looked him in the face.
He seemed a little haggard, but it did not slow him down,
he was humming to the neon of the universal sound. 

27 March 2019
9.58pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2163sp_Permalink sp_Print

I never thought I’d say this but our current government in Australia is better than another 1st world country – by a long way. I can’t believe that.

Good luck guys.

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

27 March 2019
10.55pm
50yearslate
Playing on the roofs again
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 8759
2164sp_Permalink sp_Print

There are an awful lot of first-world countries with fecked-up governments at the moment, I’m afraid. ahdn_paul_01

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, Beatlebug

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

28 March 2019
12.02am
Ron Nasty
Apple rooftop
Members

Reviewers
Forum Posts: 12534
2165sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yeah, but come on, we are excelling at it. There are fecked-up Governments and then there’s Theresa May’s fecked-up Government who are on a whole different level.

Since 12 June last year, 29 Ministers have resigned over Brexit, 4 of them Cabinet Ministers. There’s another good dozen, that if May had any political authority she should of sacked for breaking collective responsibility.

The one I come back to as showing the total disfunctionality of the Government is Stephen Barclay, our 3rd Brexit Secretary in less than a year. When we had the debate over whether to apply for an extension, he closed the debate for the Government, arguing how important it was we got that extension, and then voted against the extension on a three-line whip (meaning members of the Governing Party should vote in favour of the Government’s position or face disciplinary action from the party).

In usual circumstances he would have been sacked within seconds of walking through the No Lobby, instead he still has his job because May is in office but not in power.

This Government should have fallen months ago, and in normal circumstances would have, but still it limps on, continuing to talk about Meaningful Vote 3 even though, using one of May’s mantras, Nothing Has Changed.

Brexit was always going to be difficult. It needed a great political operator as PM to have a chance but we got May instead, someone totally unsuited to the position because she is a lousy communicator.

Post-WWII, we’ve had some bad PMs, but none as inept and ill-qualified for the highest office as May.

——————————————————————————-

And thanks for the responses to my MJ post. Not an easy subject for me but I thought a necessary perspective to offer given ASJ’s post.

heartheartheart

The following people thank Ron Nasty for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed, 50yearslate, Von Bontee, ScarlettFieldsForever

"I only said we were bigger than Rod... and now there's all this!" Ron Nasty

To @ Ron Nasty it's @ mja6758
The Beatles Bible 2020 non-Canon Poll Part One: 1958-1963 and Part Two: 1964-August 1966

28 March 2019
4.18am
meanmistermustard
Thankfully not where I am.
Members

Reviewers

Moderators
Forum Posts: 24964

To add to May’s list of ineptitude whilst PM, let’s not forget her brilliant move of calling an unnecessary General Election when she had an outright majority government. She lost enough seats to need to be propped up by the DUP (who got a nice lump sum for agreeing to do so) which has left us in the position we are in now where everything is rejected, nothing is agreed and she is wanted rid off.

It’s tough to match such a disastrous move but to her credit, she keeps on trying.

The following people thank meanmistermustard for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

28 March 2019
1.27pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2167sp_Permalink sp_Print

May was certainly passed an extremely difficult hand when she came into office. Most of my anger is directed at that smug git Cameron who, after causing this whole mess, has simply swanned off to his pleasant trust fund lifestyle of relaxation and earning hundreds of thousands for speaking at clubs of rich people, leaving others behind to deal with it. It’s simply despicable, and I hope the history books record just how much of a mistake he made when assessing his legacy.

BUT that doesn’t mean May gets off lightly for her handling of the situation which has been awful in itself. As MMM said, her calling of the 2017 general election was a huge blunder. She got complacent, like Cameron did, and put in a poor performance. She did well in the popular vote, but under the UK system that’s not enough. And her more recent tactic of running down the clock in order to blackmail MPs into accepting her poorly negotiated deal isn’t good either. 

Now if Corbyn were doing a good job in charge of Labour and actually providing a credible alternative to her policy, I could at least draw some optimism from this situation. But he allowed the Anti-Semitism row to go on far too long and has been unable to form a consistent party position on Brexit. By the time of the next general election, one would have hoped the country would have had enough of the Tories and be ready for a switch back to balance things out, but what I think more likely is that Corbyn will have persisted as leader with his current strategy and in doing so lost what charm he had. It’ll be a repeat of 1992 for sure. 

So yeah, it’s a pretty sorry state of affairs all around. 

28 March 2019
3.32pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

When your plan ahead is so crap and so hated by so many that they refuse to back it twice in record numbers, why not cut it in half and try and ram it thru again whilst dangling the carrot of not being around to actually implement the wretched thing?

Why bother sticking to your morals of hating a crap plan and voting against it twice when you can suddenly vote for half the crap plan, which makes everything far far worse, and get a chance of furthering your career? Sod the good of the country, you can go one step up the ladder. Hey, you may even become PM and be in charge of implementing the disaster you amazing instantly backed for no other reason than personal gain.

Labour are a joke. If they had one iota of togetherness they’d agree on a collective way forward and push it all together. Instead, the leader has no clue what to do, whilst those behind him have no clue what they stand for, actually want or how to go about looking even half capable.

The Conservatives want rid of May, Labour deep down want rid of Corbyn, the SNP want rid of the rest of the UK. 

QuarryMan

"I told you everything I could about me, Told you everything I could" ('Before Believing' - Emmylou Harris)

28 March 2019
8.58pm
Wigwam
Candlestick Park
Members
Forum Posts: 1913
2169sp_Permalink sp_Print

Parliament cannot be a Government……..

IMG_4741.JPGImage Enlarger

29 March 2019
10.37am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2170sp_Permalink sp_Print

This entire era of British politics is going to go down as pretty much one word: embarrassing. Problem is it’s not going to be easy to put behind us, since we’re going to have to be dealing with the results of this monumental stupidity for decades. 

29 March 2019
2.46pm
Dark Overlord
Nowhere Land
Rishikesh
Members
Forum Posts: 4470
2171sp_Permalink sp_Print

I can’t believe no one said anything yet but recently the Mueller reports confirmed that Trump didn’t collude with Russia.

As much as i hate Trump, i’m excited about the results because it means Trump won’t get impeached meaning that we won’t have to worry about president Pence reverting all of the progress we’ve made in the past 60 years.

If you're reading this, you are looking for something to do.

29 March 2019
7.08pm
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2172sp_Permalink sp_Print

I’m just waiting until they release it, which a certain Republican Mitch McConnell is refusing to do. You’d think if it was going to make Trump look so great then he’d be eager to have it out in public, so I suspect some foul play we don’t yet know about. Still, I believe the Democrats have gotten what they deserved with this one. They shouldn’t have pinned all their hopes on this Russia conspiracy scare for all this time when they could have been recovering lost ground among key demographics like white women and so forth. 

I’m definitely with you on Pence. I hate Trump too, but Pence creeps me out even more.

(I thought I’d put this part in a spoiler since it’s pretty unpleasant) The guy has actually said he supports electro shock “therapy” to “cure” gay people. Reminds me of that Republican who said he’d “see if his kids could swim” if they came out to him as gay. Absolutely sickening that rather than accept people for who they are they’d use violence against them. Imagine threatening your own children with thinly veiled murder threats. So disgusting.

The following people thank QuarryMan for this post:

The Hole Got Fixed

29 March 2019
7.11pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2173sp_Permalink sp_Print

A fair point, DO– it’s a lose-lose situation, isn’t it? Either we’re stuck with Trump until 2020 or he’s replaced by the slimeball formally known as Mike Pence. 

I personally will be relieved if it’s true that Trump has not been colluding with the Russians. 

The following people thank 50yearslate for this post:

QuarryMan

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

2018:IMG_3980.PNG 2019: 00A040E0-7F67-413C-9CAB-AB4C27EB864A.png 2020:offtopic.png

30 March 2019
7.08am
Starr Shine?
Waiting in the sky
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 16105
2174sp_Permalink sp_Print

If pence is caught as well, we end up with Nancy. 

Though regardless, rather have a criminal pay then not. If he no get reelection then go to jail. 

https://youtu.be/52nwiTs7bk8

Brainwashed by RadiantCowbells.

If you can't log in and can't use the forum go here and someone will help you out.

30 March 2019
2.35pm
sir walter raleigh
In our yellow (IN OUR YELLOW) submarine (SUBMARINE AHA!)
Apple rooftop
Members
Forum Posts: 5789
2175sp_Permalink sp_Print

@QuarryMan isn’t is William Barr not McConnell withholding the full report? 

"The pump don't work cause the vandals took the handles!"

-Bob Dylan, Subterranean Homesick Blues

"We could ride and surf together while our love would grow"

-Brian Wilson, Surfer Girl

30 March 2019
6.14pm
meanmistermustard
Members

Reviewers

Moderators

Wouldn’t surprise me if Trump gets re-elected; has got very loyal voters, as long as he continues with the same approach of blaming everyone else for all the problems whilst claiming the US is even more awesome and deserves far better, and will fight as dirty as he has to against whoever the Democrats have as their main candidate. 

QuarryMan

30 March 2019
6.24pm
50yearslate
Apple rooftop
Members
2177sp_Permalink sp_Print

If he is reelected I may move to Canada

Love one another.

- - -

(I'm Fiddy, not Walrian)

- - -

30 March 2019
6.47pm
PurplishRain
The Cold Waters of Lake Minnetoka
Ed Sullivan Show
Members
Forum Posts: 476
2178sp_Permalink sp_Print

Honestly. All Politicians whether Left or Right are corrupt in some way, shape, or form. I refuse to side with either of them nowadays because everything is just same shit, new name. It’s almost like a game

"Dinner with Delores Must be some kind of sin
Like a Brontosaurus  She was packin' it in" -Prince

Prince_logo.png

30 March 2019
9.18pm
The Hole Got Fixed
A Dock at Southampton

Moderators
Forum Posts: 8410
2179sp_Permalink sp_Print

While I can’t see him being reelected, the thought of him getting back in worries me. The damagea-hard-days-night-ringo-14

While he does have a solid support, I can see a lot more people enrolling to vote so they can Vote him out. 

#AppleHoley2024: Make America Great For The First Time
2016 awards: Username-Badge.png 2017 awards: The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2017.png 2018 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2018.png 2019 awards: Ringo-2019.png 2020 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2020.png 2021 awards:The-Hole-Got-Fixed-2021.png
aus-flag-v-small.png

31 March 2019
11.14am
QuarryMan
Rishikesh
Members
2180sp_Permalink sp_Print

sir walter raleigh said
@QuarryMan isn’t is William Barr not McConnell withholding the full report? 

I read that McConnell had blocked a Senate vote to release it but I’m not sure, you might be right.

I can see Trump getting re-elected because I can’t imagine many of the people who did vote for him will change their minds, and his existing share of the vote is enough to win the electoral college anyway, unless the Democrats massively up the turnout. Also, most presidents tend to win reelection to a second term anyway (every President since Bush Sr). 

If the Democrats want to win, they need a candidate much stronger than Hillary that a) isn’t a symbol of the out of touch, elitist Democratic establishment the Trump base loathes and b) preferably won’t be vulnerable to Trump’s smears like Hillary was. This rules out Joe Biden, who I really hope doesn’t run. Beto O’ Rourke seems like a reasonable option, and he’s certainly popular, but I worry that he’s too conservative and too similar to Obama in style and presentation. Then there’s Bernie, who I do like very much, but might be too left wing anyway. 

However, there is hope. Turnout was pretty high in the midterms last year, and there will have been a huge turnover in young people getting old enough to vote, most of whom seem to despise Trump. 

Forum Timezone: Europe/London
Most Users Ever Online: 700
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 1
Top Posters:
Starr Shine?: 16105
Ron Nasty: 12534
Zig: 9832
50yearslate: 8759
Necko: 8043
AppleScruffJunior: 7583
parlance: 7111
mr. Sun king coming together: 6402
Mr. Kite: 6147
trcanberra: 6064
Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 88
Members: 2859
Moderators: 5
Admins: 1
Forum Stats:
Groups: 3
Forums: 44
Topics: 5520
Newest Members:
NJtoTX, seo mavia, adamo3, katybphoto, sleeptalker
Moderators: Joe: 5694, meanmistermustard: 24964, Ahhh Girl: 22240, Beatlebug: 18182, The Hole Got Fixed: 8410
Administrators: Joe: 5694